AVS Forum banner

461 - 480 of 1360 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Biggest mistake I made was selling my 151 in 2009 - wrongfully assuming Panasonic, who had bought the patents, would overthrow the Kuro within a year.

And yet, here we are, over a decade later, still comparing brand new TVs to Kuros. I find the comparisons fascinating and even more fascinated that those old plasmas still have some superior qualities over OLED.

Truth be told, we’ll probably never see a TV that maintains its relevance for so long ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just fired up my Kuro 151 after it sat idle in a corner for the past 8 months since I got my A9G. Both calibrated by Jeff Meier. I gotta say, there is something about that Kuro picture. While the Sony does have more pop, better blacks (but I’m never wanting for deeper blacks on the Kuro) and slightly richer colors, the Kuro looks better on B&W movies. With 1080p material overall, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I just can’t get myself to sell the Kuro though. It’s picture looks every bit a good as it did from day one.

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
No point to take pics of screens if camera(real camera, not a phone) settings arent 100% identical + with a tripod. (ISO, shutter speed, focal lenght + f at least)

And also using flash is pointles, and sounds like it is just "point & shoot with phone/camera without knowing what you are doing".
Actually, I did. No flash. 100% identical + with a tripod. (ISO, shutter speed, focal lenght + f . I didn't post those because the phone turned out much better, in both cases. It didn't make any difference. The contrasting results were the same. But the best thing about those pictures; I'm lucky enough to own a Sony camera. Because everybody knows you can't take a picture of a Sony TV with a Nikon and expect them to turn out correctly. :p

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
Thanks for that. Interesting. The two things that obviously jump out at me with Panny and the SONY OLED are that (a) the SONY OLED is about 2x brighter, and (b) it is set MUCH cooler (blue tint). Not sure what your gamma is set for but it must not be on Warm 1 or Warm 2.

Very nice photo.
Thanks.

I'm using the recommended Expert 1.

But those pics don't really mean a lot. Maybe one could process them better than the other, I really don't know. But they do show the difference in brightness, which was the point. The Sony is obviously brighter, under any circumstance. From what little I've seen, I like the brightness. Don't misunderstand, everything isn't overly bright, but it is a different look than my plasma.

I've been searching for better comps in the streaming section, but the Sony up-converts so damn good it wouldn't be close. Some of it looks so good you'd think you were watching 4K.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Thanks.

But those pics don't really mean a lot. Maybe one could process them better than the other, I really don't know. But they do show the difference in brightness, which was the point. The Sony is obviously brighter, under any circumstance. From what little I've seen, I like the brightness. Don't misunderstand, everything isn't overly bright, but it is a different look than my plasma.

I've been searching for better comps in the streaming section, but the Sony up-converts so damn good it wouldn't be close. Some of it looks so good you'd think you were watching 4K.

If both sets are dialed in accurately, I wouldn’t expect there big of a difference color wise. And that’s not subtle. That’s a huge difference.

Reactions: ataneruo

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Wait just a doggone minute there !

[B said:
Cleveland Plasma;[/B]59724046]I would take an OLED over a plasma any day of the week ;)

Chris, you are tredding on thin ice there my friend !:;) I mean, after all, you're "Cleveland Plasma", not 'Cleveland OLED.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Everyone! New to the forum here! Question about A8H and new Sony H series TV's in general.

I own a Sony X830C, its not very good, but was decent back in 2015. I also own a x950G I bought on deep discount last Black Friday.

I will be due for another TV to replace my x830C later this year. Not just to upgrade picture quality, but to get rid of that laggy stutter thing. The x830C has the Mediatek MT5890 that most (or every) Sony TV had back in 2015. Basically the processor that's responsible for giving Android TV a bad name for being slow, full of stutters, and app crashes. Although it was really the SOC fault for being just too under powered for such a diverse powerful operating system that Android TV is.

The x950G has the MT5893 which is wayyy better performance and makes the TV butter smooth navigating compared to my x830C. Never any app crashes or stutters. I know from reviews the A8G still had an old MT5890 or MT5891, while the A9G had the more powerful MT5893.

So does anyone know if the new A8H has upgraded the processor to the MT5893 (or better). Can you also check if it has 3 GB of RAM like the x950G?

On a side note same 2 questions for the x800H and x900H if anyone happens to know? Obviously the x950H should have it since last year's x950G had it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Thanks.

I have consistently read that "Expert 1" was the preferred setting. Just curious though, historically Sony's go to temp setting is "Warm 1" or "Warm 2." Is 'Expert 1' suppose to put the perceived color temp in similar realm as that?, because that last photo certainly shows a very cool tint (blue), correct? I am just very curious about that. I realize your photo accomplished what we were discussing- the relative BRIGHTNESS of OLED over plasma. And yes, it sure did. Not wanting to change venue, but it was really remarkable the temp/color tone on that. Thoughts?
Again, lovely picture and fantastic old ship there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks.

If both sets are dialed in accurately, I wouldn’️t expect there big of a difference color wise. And that’️s not subtle. That’️s a huge difference.

It could be that different auto white balance selections on the camera contributed to this.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Question for D-Nice or whomever wants to chime in.

As I was comparing images between my Kuro 60” to my 65” A9G with 1080p content, I noted that images were larger on the Kuro. Both TVs were set to full pixel (Dot to dot) so same edge to edge information on each set with no overscan taking place. I’m assuming that this is because images appear smaller on the Sony due to its upscaling the image to 4k while the Kuro remains native at 1080p.

So with this being the case, isn’t there a misconception that a 65” is going to produce a larger image than a 60”?

I don’t think most people are aware of this. Bottom line is that if I sit 9’ away from each tv, the 60” image is larger than the 65” 4k, at least with 1080p content. It seems to me that it would maybe take a 70” 4k tv ( I know they don’t exist) to equal the same size image as a 60” 1080p tv given that the content is in 1080p. Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #474

As I was comparing images between my Kuro 60” to my 65” A9G with 1080p content, I noted that images were larger on the Kuro. Both TVs were set to full pixel (Dot to dot) so same edge to edge information on each set with no overscan taking place. I’m assuming that this is because images appear smaller on the Sony due to its upscaling the image to 4k while the Kuro remains native at 1080p.

So with this being the case, isn’t there a misconception that a 65” is going to produce a larger image than a 60”?

I don’t think most people are aware of this. Bottom line is that if I sit 9’ away from each tv, the 60” image is larger than the 65” 4k, at least with 1080p content. It seems to me that it would maybe take a 70” 4k tv ( I know they don’t exist) to equal the same size image as a 60” 1080p tv given that the content is in 1080p. Thoughts?
Unfortunately I do not have a response to your questions as the adjective used in this post— larger— does not make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

Pics would be helpful given the contradiction here.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Unfortunately I do not have a response to your questions as the adjective used in this post— larger— does not make sense to me.
What I mean is anything on screen is larger. I was watching an SNL episode for example and the cast members faces and bodies were larger than on the Sony. It’s as if they were closer to the screen. It’s as if you zoomed or cropped an image but nothing was zoomed in As both sets are set for dot to dot image. Upon observing this, I though, maybe the Kuro is not in dot to dot mode, but it is and I can see the same information on both TVs around all edges of the screen area.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Pics would be helpful given the contradiction here.
Here’s a quick shot of an image from both TVs at a measured 7’ away. The image on the left is the 65” A9G and on the right is the Kuro 60” plasma. Even though the images don’t 100% show the differences, you can still see her head is larger on the Kuro 60”. Easier to see if viewed on something larger than a cell phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
The perfect display technology would combine OLED strengths with plasma strengths.
Perhaps with SDR but with HDR combining LCD strengths with OLED strengths would be ideal. There's a reason Sony's new professional mastering monitor is a LCD with
light-modulating cell layer technology.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Take this to another thread this is for A8H owners thread.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Here’s a quick shot of an image from both TVs at a measured 7’ away. The image on the left is the 65” A9G and on the right is the Kuro 60” plasma. Even though the images don’t 100% show the differences, you can still see her head is larger on the Kuro 60”. Easier to see if viewed on something larger than a cell phone.
Try a clean source like Blu-ray on the kuro and sony and check while playback Display Info on remote control if Dot by Dot is activated, if not activate it, see if you get similar results.

461 - 480 of 1360 Posts