AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 2162 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've owned my 65" Panny GT30 since 2012, and I had my mind set on a larger screen (75" min.) for my next purchase. Really, my 20Lx16W entertainment room called for it. But when I went looking last year, the prices were higher than I was willing to spend, but more importantly, I also had a lot of misgivings about the technology. The number of posts on this forum and other places reporting problems caused me to think twice about buying the larger screen at this time. So, I went for the 65". I still have concerns about potential problems, but after looking at the LG line for the vast majority of the time, and with the arrival of the A8H, I went with the Sony because I saw far fewer complaints than I did with the LG line. While they all have pluses and minuses, I feel more comfortable with my decision. Maybe the next time I'll get that larger screen I've been dreaming about.

I've included a couple of pics.
I also have come to the same conclusion, Will be going with Sony!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've owned my 65" Panny GT30 since 2012, and I had my mind set on a larger screen (75" min.) for my next purchase. Really, my 20Lx16W entertainment room called for it. But when I went looking last year, the prices were higher than I was willing to spend, but more importantly, I also had a lot of misgivings about the technology. The number of posts on this forum and other places reporting problems caused me to think twice about buying the larger screen at this time. So, I went for the 65". I still have concerns about potential problems, but after looking at the LG line for the vast majority of the time, and with the arrival of the A8H, I went with the Sony because I saw far fewer complaints than I did with the LG line. While they all have pluses and minuses, I feel more comfortable with my decision. Maybe the next time I'll get that larger screen I've been dreaming about.

I have the exact Panny and also since very early 2012. I want to make the plunge to OLED but I am worried that It won't be a huge difference. There just isn't anything wrong with the TV other then its not 4K and doesn't have HDR. I am leaning towards the A8H mainly because I trust Sony more as a company. Have you noticed a big difference? What stands out the most for you?

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I have the exact Panny and also since very early 2012. I want to make the plunge to OLED but I am worried that It won't be a huge difference. There just isn't anything wrong with the TV other then its not 4K and doesn't have HDR. I am leaning towards the A8H mainly because I trust Sony more as a company. Have you noticed a big difference? What stands out the most for you?
I haven't watched enough SDR content to give a fair assessment. The Panny is in the master bedroom, so I plan on getting a lot of exercise making comparisons this week as I run up and down the stairs. :) Check back later in the week and I may have some info. Inky blacks, for sure.

I do a lot of streaming from Netflix and Amazon Prime, and with more and more coming out in 4K, I decided it was time to make the plunge. It is mind-blowing.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Upgraded from a VT60 plasma to a C6 OLED years ago. Don’t regret it, way better contrast and perfect blacks. I have a C8 now but this A8H is calling to me. May wait until next year to upgrade though.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

Nice room. Which Revels do you have? I have 5.1 system with a set of Performa3s.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Also TVs these days are capable to have seperate SDR and HDR settings in one single picture mode.

Incase stuff like BFI applies to all inputs then your only option is to turn it on/off each time you switch between SDR/HDR content. In case BFI can be set per input but not on one specific input then you can chose between using two devices, one for SDR and another for HDR, or turning BFI on/off each time you switch between SDR and HDR.
That's the issue. Is BFI connected to a picture mode .... OR .... is it universal for all picture modes (per HDMI input).

As D-Nice said, BFI should be used with SDR, but should NOT be used with HDR.

Question for A8H owners, is BFI connected to a picture mode or it is universal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Kuro recently died and I have an A8H on order. I haven't needed to do a panel break in since I purchased the Kuro so with regard to the OLED break in process that D-Nice recommends:

1-Are all of the slides (I believe there are 12) to be run or just the color slides?
2-100 hours continuous?

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I notice when I run Netflix through the Roku Ultra the picture stays on Custom. When I run it through the TV app it will switch to Dolby Vision where I can select bright or dark. How do you get the Roku to switch to the correct 4K feed, or is it automatically selected but you don't get to choose between bright or dark?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I notice when I run Netflix through the Roku Ultra the picture stays on Custom. When I run it through the TV app it will switch to Dolby Vision where I can select bright or dark. How do you get the Roku to switch to the correct 4K feed, or is it automatically selected but you don't get to choose between bright or dark?
Roku devices can't do DV.

·
Registered
15,286 Posts
The Roku does not support DV. HDR yes, DV no. If you want DV, you need to use the internal app, or get a different streaming device.

Reactions: Aliens

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
The Roku does not support DV. HDR yes, DV no. If you want DV, you need to use the internal app, or get a different streaming device.
May not be such a bad thing as HDR10 might work better for some content. I’m assuming you can’t force HDR10 through the internal apps if DV is available.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Kuro recently died and I have an A8H on order. I haven't needed to do a panel break in since I purchased the Kuro so with regard to the OLED break in process that D-Nice recommends:

1-Are all of the slides (I believe there are 12) to be run or just the color slides?
2-100 hours continuous?
Remembering back to when those slides came out, so my memory may be fuzzy.

1- yes- all slides should be in the loop.

2- no- they don't need to be continuous hrs.

·
Vendor
27,429 Posts
Thanks for nothing on talking me down...A8H coming on the 4th to replace the Defective G I had. Still not sure if it’s the TV or the ATV, but not worth it to chance if I’m within the return policy.
Absolutely, hopefully all will be well with the new set......

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Thanks for nothing on talking me down...A8H coming on the 4th to replace the Defective G I had. Still not sure if it’️s the TV or the ATV, but not worth it to chance if I’️m within the return policy.
Absolutely, hopefully all will be well with the new set......
Yeah, I’m sure it will. Glad I upgraded anyway. I knew better than to think I would have been happy with the G, given all the positive comments already on the H.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can some describe Harmony integration for the newer Sony TV's? Do they connect via Bluetooth or Wifi? I really hate my current IR repeater setup & want to avoid using one in the future. thanks.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I took a screenshot on my Panny GT30 of a picture I took in Bermuda because I wanted to see what it would look like on the Sony.

The first one is the actual photo. The second is from the Panny, and the third is from the Sony. The Panny comes closer to the original photo, the Sony is brighter, but the Panny has more grain. Not out to prove anything, I just like to do things like this. :D
If the first photo is actual and the Sony can process it to look as you showed, I'd take the Sony anyway. Wow! But then again, I've been a Sony man since the Trinitron days. :eek:

·
Registered
327 Posts
That's the issue. Is BFI connected to a picture mode .... OR .... is it universal for all picture modes (per HDMI input).

As D-Nice said, BFI should be used with SDR, but should NOT be used with HDR.

Question for A8H owners, is BFI connected to a picture mode or it is universal?
Ping A8H owners.

Is BFI (clear motion) connected to a picture mode, or when enabled does it apply to all picture modes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ping A8H owners.

Is BFI (clear motion) connected to a picture mode, or when enabled does it apply to all picture modes?

Thanks.
D-Nice told me BFI is per picture mode.

So, you could switch off BFI for all Dolby Vision content (as it's a separate picture mode), in the same way you can switch off Smooth Gradation for example. However, it sounds like the BFI setting in Custom picture mode would apply to both HDR and SDR.

If that's correct, then it would be good if Sony would allow BFI to be set independently per picture mode depending on SDR or HDR, in the same way the brightness setting can be.

501 - 520 of 2162 Posts