AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 1717 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
D-Nice told me BFI is per picture mode.

So, you could switch off BFI for all Dolby Vision content (as it's a separate picture mode), in the same way you can switch off Smooth Gradation for example. However, it sounds like the BFI setting in Custom picture mode would apply to both HDR and SDR.

If that's correct, then it would be good if Sony would allow BFI to be set independently per picture mode depending on SDR or HDR, in the same way the brightness setting can be.
Ok, understood now.

The issue is that 'Custom' is the most accurate mode for both SDR & HDR, hence BFI will be universal to all content being played in that mode.

What's the difference between 'Cinema' & 'Custom' picture mode? I wonder if one can be set with best SDR settings and the other with best 'HDR' settings and just manually flick between the two on a case by case basis?

I suspect this isn't advised because 'Custom' may be more accurate?

·
Registered
34 Posts
In Europe Sony is marketing the 2020 OLED line as: A85 , A87, A89.

I assume they are the same TV as the American A8H? What is the difference between the three versions in Europe? The price is 100 euro more from A85 to A87 and another 100 euro for the A89.
I cant find what the differences are and why some are more expensive.

·
Registered
50 Posts

I assume they are the same TV as the American A8H? What is the difference between the three versions in Europe? The price is 100 euro more from A85 to A87 and another 100 euro for the A89.
In the UK, you can buy the A8, which I think is the same as the A8H. Sony UK also list the A85/A87/A89, though only the A85 seems to be available at the moment. Both the A8 and A85 are the same price.

The A85 has a different stand to the A8, labelled the Premium Blade Stand, which I don't think has the option to convert to allow soundbars underneath, which the A8 does.

The A87 and A89 come with the backlit remote, but Sony doesn't list prices for those models. Not sure what stands come with them (same as A85?), or what other variations there are (different colours perhaps?).

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/a8-series

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/a85-a87-a89-series

·
Registered
34 Posts
In the UK, you can buy the A8, which I think is the same as the A8H. Sony UK also list the A85/A87/A89, though only the A85 seems to be available at the moment. Both the A8 and A85 are the same price.

The A85 has a different stand to the A8, labelled the Premium Blade Stand, which I don't think has the option to convert to allow soundbars underneath, which the A8 does.

The A87 and A89 come with the backlit remote, but Sony doesn't list prices for those models. Not sure what stands come with them (same as A85?), or what other variations there are (different colours perhaps?).

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/a8-series

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/a85-a87-a89-series

Much appreciated , I am waiting for more comparisons between the LG CX and the A8 to decide which to buy.

Nice that they have a backlit remote , a really handy feature.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
We were watching The Goldfinch (Amazon Prime) Sunday night and I noticed a massive amount of compression artifacts in a dark scene. This didn't happen with every dark scene, but this one was to the extreme. I tested it out today and I'm getting the same results. I tried it on my 27" computer monitor and didn't notice it. My Panny looks good, but it's very light in that room so I'll need to try it later tonight. The computer speed (Wi-Fi) came in at 57 Mbps, and the rate coming into the Sony is around the same (Ethernet). If anyone has some time on their hands and want to check this out, it's starts at the 1:20:55 mark, and goes for almost a minute. It also happened about 2 minutes before that scene when the kid passes some paintings in a destroyed art gallery. I'm sure this has more to do with Amazon and or streaming than the TV, but this was very bad. I've always observed CA on the Panny, but I was hoping against hope the new technology would somehow help, but obviously not, especially if it isn't somehow isn't related to the TV.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We were watching The Goldfinch (Amazon Prime) Sunday night and I noticed a massive amount of compression artifacts in a dark scene. This didn't happen with every dark scene, but this one was to the extreme. I tested it out today and I'm getting the same results. I tried it on my 27" computer monitor and didn't notice it. My Panny looks good, but it's very light in that room so I'll need to try it later tonight. The computer speed (Wi-Fi) came in at 57 Mbps, and the rate coming into the Sony is around the same (Ethernet). If anyone has some time on their hands and want to check this out, it's starts at the 1:20:55 mark, and goes for almost a minute. It also happened about 2 minutes before that scene when the kid passes some paintings in a destroyed art gallery. I'm sure this has more to do with Amazon and or streaming than the TV, but this was very bad. I've always observed CA on the Panny, but I was hoping against hope the new technology would somehow help, but obviously not, especially if it isn't somehow isn't related to the TV.
Did you try it with BFI enabled? That can clear up near black artifacts apparently.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Did you try it with BFI enabled? That can clear up near black artifacts apparently.
I have no clue how to do that with this TV. The lack of a comprehensive manual is irritating as heck. What is this? I don't know, let me try it. Let's try this. No that didn't work, either. How is anyone who is new to the technology of the day ever going to learn their way around their new TV? :mad:

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Clearness level 1 or 2 in motion settings.
Thank you. C2 looks a little better than C1 so I'll leave it there for now. Now that I took the time to read the captioning below the adjustment, I can see BFI. My bad on that one. I guess I'm old school and prefer to look at a manual while making adjustments. My Panasonic Viera had 65 pages. I'm familiar with most of the settings, but there are new ones I'm not that familiar with. The back to help every time I have a question is a PITA. But I'll adjust. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Clearness level 1 or 2 in motion settings.
Thank you. C2 looks a little better than C1 so I'll leave it there for now. Now that I took the time to read the captioning below the adjustment, I can see BFI. My bad on that one. I guess I'm old school and prefer to look at a manual while making adjustments. My Panasonic Viera had 65 pages. I'm familiar with most of the settings, but there are new ones I'm not that familiar with. The back to help every time I have a question is a PITA. But I'll adjust. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
No problem. Just beware that you need to turn off BFI in HDR mode, as it darkens the picture too much.

·
Registered
46 Posts

https://www.elcorteingles.es/electronica/A35176013-tv-oled-1397-cm-55-sony-kd-55a89-android-tv-4k-hdr-x1-ultimate-triluminos-display-acoustic-surface-audio/

has silver legs and backlit remote control

Enviado desde mi J9110 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I find it out a bit weird that so many praise plasma tvs and fear that OLED is "downgrade".

All plasmas I saw back in the days when they were popular (on stores + one friend had on, at least some were panasonics ) looked kind of weird.

Like the picture weren't still, but constantly "moving / waving / like it would have old crt tv noise" or something like it.

I always wondered that why on earth anyone would buy plasma when the picture looks so annoying/restless. But I guess not everyone see or are sensitive to that phenomenon.

But anyway A8H seems like nice tv, I'm considering it or that 48" a9 if it comes for sale. Just difficult as my old Sony lcd still works perfectly after 5-6 years. And most important thing to me is black levels, as I dont watch sports at all. So oled should be perfect to me, while this current TV is semi-ok on black, still feels like waste of money when old one works

·
Registered
9 Posts
Should I get A8H or go with A8G? Is this TV better then B9? ( I am not playing games at all just watching cable, sports and Netflix )

·
Registered
912 Posts
I find it out a bit weird that so many praise plasma tvs and fear that OLED is "downgrade".

All plasmas I saw back in the days when they were popular (on stores + one friend had on, at least some were panasonics ) looked kind of weird.

Like the picture weren't still, but constantly "moving / waving / like it would have old crt tv noise" or something like it.

I always wondered that why on earth anyone would buy plasma when the picture looks so annoying/restless. But I guess not everyone see or are sensitive to that phenomenon.

But anyway A8H seems like nice tv, I'm considering it or that 48" a9 if it comes for sale. Just difficult as my old Sony lcd still works perfectly after 5-6 years. And most important thing to me is black levels, as I dont watch sports at all. So oled should be perfect to me, while this current TV is semi-ok on black, still feels like waste of money when old one works
We bought plasmas because they were the best at the time, better than LCDs.

Reactions: BillP

·
Registered
346 Posts
Should I get A8H or go with A8G? Is this TV better then B9? ( I am not playing games at all just watching cable, sports and Netflix )
I would get the A8H. So many positives about this TV. Same chip, features from the A9G and better BFI than previous Sony TVs.

·
Registered
26 Posts

But anyway A8H seems like nice tv, I'm considering it or that 48" a9 if it comes for sale. Just difficult as my old Sony lcd still works perfectly after 5-6 years. And most important thing to me is black levels, as I dont watch sports at all. So oled should be perfect to me, while this current TV is semi-ok on black, still feels like waste of money when old one works[/QUOTE
I just recieved my 65AH8 yesterday, great picture so far so good. This was a replacement for a Panasonic VT60 plasma which I purchased in 2013. The main reason why I purchased the Sony was the the apps and technology (no 4k running hdmi 1.4)were so outdated. The picture on the panny still looks fantastic and will be a great addition in another room. This was professionally calibrated by d-nice maybe this was the difference at what you were viewing at the time.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts

I haven't seen a plasma in a long time, and never looked at them much (since I totally wasn't interested), I wonder if what you noticed was the dithering used for generating the colors (as far as I understood it).

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
The A8H is the best OLED currently available, IMO. Better than the A8G and B9, similar to the A9G. If you want an LG, get the CX, not the B9.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can any of the owners comment on quality of sound on A8H please.

This would be for the bedroom TV where I am not inclined to add sound system, or complexity of soundbar for wife' sake.

Went to (Big Box Store) get an A8H but there were none on display to sample; sales manager was pushing 65" A9G for better sound.

From the specs, A8H has a total of 30 W of sound capability, while A9G has 60 W overall and can also be used as a central channel speaker.

The basic question is whether A8H has adequate sound for watching cable/streaming, in a low-key environment?

Thanks in advance.

521 - 540 of 1717 Posts