AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 2171 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
All plasmas I saw back in the days when they were popular (on stores + one friend had on, at least some were panasonics ) looked kind of weird.

Like the picture weren't still, but constantly "moving / waving / like it would have old crt tv noise" or something like it.

I have 2 plasma TV's (60" Kuro and 65" Panny) from 2009, both calibrated by D-Nice.

Though I have had the upgrade itch for OLED's for many years, I have always found the picture on plasmas to be better, more natural in terms of motion and easier on the eyes.

Yes, the plasmas are heavy, and get hot if running for a few hours and obviously cannot get 4K but seem to have a very satisfying, "liquid" picture, particularly with motion.

Even on the forums, I see many having difficulty with decision to change from plasma to OLEDs, despite plasmas being 8-12 years old technology now!

·
Registered
18,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #542
I have 2 plasma TV's (60" Kuro and 65" Panny) from 2009, both calibrated by D-Nice.

Though I have had the upgrade itch for OLED's for many years, I have always found the picture on plasmas to be better, more natural in terms of motion and easier on the eyes.

Yes, the plasmas are heavy, and get hot if running for a few hours and obviously cannot get 4K but seem to have a very satisfying, "liquid" picture, particularly with motion.

Even on the forums, I see many having difficulty with decision to change from plasma to OLEDs, despite plasmas being 8-12 years old technology now!
Just sold one of my Kuros to an old client of mine. Of course I recalibrated it for him and I 100% agree with you— so much so that I’m bringing a Kuro out of storage permanently as soon as I find a spot for it. Nothing like a plasma image. I won’t even talk about the build quality and industrial look.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just sold one of my Kuros to an old client of mine. Of course I recalibrated it for him and I 100% agree with you— so much so that I’m bringing a Kuro out of storage permanently as soon as I find a spot for it. Nothing like a plasma image. I won’t even talk about the build quality and industrial look.
It's a shame how design and build quality took a huge step back since they stopped making plasmas. The solid metal and glass was just another way in which they were better than LCDs with cheapo plastic. The A1E and A9F were the only OLEDs that kind of harkened back to the look and feel of the old Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas. They looked good even when turned off.

In your opinion what kind of advancements need to be made in OLED tech to give it that plasma "look"? Is it even possible with WRGB OLED?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
You still got my 5020? I still miss that set after all these years.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Caleb doesn't mention anything about BFI, not much of a hard review

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mod moved this into this thread and it got buried in the previous page. Would kindly appreciate feedback on this.

Received the 65" A8H yesterday. I don't remember hearing this in the first few hours of use, but the tv is now making a clicking sound from right side of tv whenever it's powered on/off (same side as power supply). Thought it might be temperature related so I left it overnight and it's still doing it. Did factory reset to rule out setting related issue and tried plugging it into the wall directly to rule out the surge protector causing an issue.

First click in the video is when tv is powered on, second is when it's powered off. Both noises sound like what you hear in AV receivers. Relay?

Is this normal for Sony OLED's, should I be considering swapping it for another unit?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Can any of the owners comment on quality of sound on A8H please.

This would be for the bedroom TV where I am not inclined to add sound system, or complexity of soundbar for wife' sake.

Went to (Big Box Store) get an A8H but there were none on display to sample; sales manager was pushing 65" A9G for better sound.

From the specs, A8H has a total of 30 W of sound capability, while A9G has 60 W overall and can also be used as a central channel speaker.

The basic question is whether A8H has adequate sound for watching cable/streaming, in a low-key environment?

Thanks in advance.
For normal everyday viewings the sound quality is more than adequate for a television. I have mine in the family room of my home which is part of a large open concept area, it can keep up with the ambient noise in that space so I only assume it would be significantly better in a bedroom. I don't think the A9G is worth going for over the A8H, and certainly if there are reasons, it's not going to be sound.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Mod moved this into this thread and it got buried in the previous page. Would kindly appreciate feedback on this.

Received the 65" A8H yesterday. I don't remember hearing this in the first few hours of use, but the tv is now making a clicking sound from right side of tv whenever it's powered on/off (same side as power supply). Thought it might be temperature related so I left it overnight and it's still doing it. Did factory reset to rule out setting related issue and tried plugging it into the wall directly to rule out the surge protector causing an issue.

First click in the video is when tv is powered on, second is when it's powered off. Both noises sound like what you hear in AV receivers. Relay?

Is this normal for Sony OLED's, should I be considering swapping it for another unit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGnpf8j7WEw&feature=youtu.be
Normal, mine sounds very similar. I wouldn't be all that worried.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can answer my own question definitively now. The tv no longer turns on. It still makes the clicking sound when powered on/off and the led on the front lights up in response to remote inputs; but there is no picture.

I'm debating whether to have it repaired under warranty or replaced for another unit. Given that a couple of you are also hearing this (seemingly ominous) sound, there are possibly defective sets in the supply chain. If replaced now I will probably end up with another unit from the same production lot since this was just delivered few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGnpf8j7WEw&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
83 Posts
That clicking sound when the tv is turned on shouldn’t be anything to worry about. Sony’s A9F and A9G make the same sound. Just seems to be a part of the power circuit. LG’s C9 does the same thing as well.

·
Vendor
27,432 Posts
That was a sad day when they stopped making them. A starter model 42" was $399 and the starter 50" was $599 and still have a better picture then and LED in that pricing.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Both my A9F and LG C9 click when turned off. Would not worry about it.
Probably so. Still, I just finished a chat, and it was recommended to do a factory reset to determine if it's a software or hardware problem. I'll do it at some point, but not immediately. My feeling is things like this shouldn't be happening, especially when turned off.

EDIT: After sitting by the TV for the past 20 minutes, I've determined the sound that I'm hearing long after the TV is off is that it's my Tripp-lite that is doing the clicking. I know it's defective and a new one is on the way. I've heard the TV do its thing, but that's understandable until it cools off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been a die hard Plasma user since when the Panasonic TH-50PHD5UY was $6000 to the VT60 and Samsung PN60F8500 which I just replaced for the 65A8H. A little bit of background on my experience with film and video images. As a Lighting Director and Gaffer for the Film and TV industry I have been looking and calibrating monitors for a long time. All I can say is WOW! to the picture quality of the Sony A8H. Like a lot of us videophiles I was hesitant to make the jump to the Oled displays because the issue with motion on sports and PQ on SDR thru a compressed signal from DirecTV. I think Sony has made great improvements on the motion processing and I think now it’s at par with plasmas. In my opinion the only advantage a plasma has over oled is on native 1080p signal, SDR looks better natively than upscaled.
For anyone on the fence to make the switch I can say that now is a great time to do it and you won’t regret it.

·
Super Moderator
17,998 Posts
Bickering and responses removed. Infractions issued.

Questions or comments? PM me. DO NOT POST HERE.

Doc

·
Registered
371 Posts
Definite issues between the HR54 and the TV. My D* remote will not perform any function when this happens. It happened 3 times within a couple of minutes last night, and I would go back and forth between inputs to to get it back. Once I realized the D* remote was inoperable, I turned everything off and restarted and didn't have a problem after that.
FYI after DirecTV pushes an automatic firmware update to our satellite receiver or minis overnight, a full receiver/mini RESTART (not reset) is necessary for the receiver to work smoothly again with both of our Sonys. Just received a DirecTV receiver firmware update this past week . . . full receiver/mini RESTART fixed the connection, didn’t need to do anything with either TV.

Reactions: Aliens
541 - 560 of 2171 Posts