AVS Forum banner

5821 - 5840 of 6055 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
A 5% gray slide. Planning is when it's most noticable and distracting. HDR seems to emphasize it as well and it is unfortunately visable in some content.

View attachment 3077545
Send a different pic, a 5% greyscale, (link at end) That is about how that shot looks on my oled. The banding seems to be from the way the director and colorist shot it. Since it’s at 5pct Grey the banding of the oled is very visible in that opening scene. It’s a horror shot for most oleds it seems.

Try a 5% grey pic and post it ... I use this from YouTube. The 5% hey is the on to post a pic on ... when it says greyscale the first shot is black at 24 sec in to about 29 sec is the 5%. Pause and look and send a pic.

^This. For some reason during that title card screen, 2 more visible black bands appear towards the right hand side of the screen. If I lower the black level setting to 48 the overall black level lowers enough so that they blend in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that Dolby Vision via HDMI seems to elevate the minimum black level a touch? Meaning, even on a screen that is supposed to be pitch black, the screen glows ever so slightly.

I have a X700 connected and when a play UHD discs with DoVi enabled, I am able to notice that. However, if I toggle DoVi to "off" and force HDR10, this phenomenon does not occur. If I lower the black level setting to 49 while playing Dolby Vision content, black transition screens are just that.

Before anyone asks, I have tried;
-different HDMI cables
-different HDMI inputs
-different color space settings

Unfortunately, I do not have a different UHD player to try that is Dolby Vision capable. Just wondering if that is a function of how Sony implements Dolby Vision on this set, using the Low Latency profile.

I wouldn't call it distracting or to the same degree that was being discussed with the LG's or Vizio OLED's prior to FW updates. Just.....noticeable in a perfectly black viewing room.

·
Vendor
28,694 Posts
A 5% gray slide. Planning is when it's most noticable and distracting. HDR seems to emphasize it as well and it is unfortunately visable in some content.
That is on the bad side, I guess it depends how often you see it in content, sure seems like you are leaning towards swapping it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't have this behavior on mine. I am using the TV app.
Thanks. I tried it on the native TV app and it seems fine. So I figured it must be something to do with the nvidia Shield. Then I experimented by changing the Shield's default refresh rate of 59.94Hz to 60Hz and that seemed to work much better. Does this sound like a good fix? Not sure why the Shield has a default of 59.94Hz.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm not familiar with the nvidia, sorry. But if that fixes you're problem, I think that means it's a good fix.

Thanks. I tried it on the native TV app and it seems fine. So I figured it must be something to do with the nvidia Shield. Then I experimented by changing the Shield's default refresh rate of 59.94Hz to 60Hz and that seemed to work much better. Does this sound like a good fix? Not sure why the Shield has a default of 59.94Hz.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that Dolby Vision via HDMI seems to elevate the minimum black level a touch? Meaning, even on a screen that is supposed to be pitch black, the screen glows ever so slightly.

I have a X700 connected and when a play UHD discs with DoVi enabled, I am able to notice that. However, if I toggle DoVi to "off" and force HDR10, this phenomenon does not occur. If I lower the black level setting to 49 while playing Dolby Vision content, black transition screens are just that.

Before anyone asks, I have tried;
-different HDMI cables
-different HDMI inputs
-different color space settings

Unfortunately, I do not have a different UHD player to try that is Dolby Vision capable. Just wondering if that is a function of how Sony implements Dolby Vision on this set, using the Low Latency profile.

I wouldn't call it distracting or to the same degree that was being discussed with the LG's or Vizio OLED's prior to FW updates. Just.....noticeable in a perfectly black viewing room.
I haven't noticed any issues with raised blacks on my Panasonic UB820. I've watched Shazam and a bit of The Matrix so far using Dolby Vision Bright mode. I'd be willing to bet it's due to the "Player Led" implementation. Sadly LG OLEDs are better in this regard as the TV itself processes the Dolby Vision signal.

I have a Sony X700 player I should hopefully be able to test soon. A friend of mine has it currently, but I will report back as soon as possible.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I haven't noticed any issues with raised blacks on my Panasonic UB820. I've watched Shazam and a bit of The Matrix so far using Dolby Vision Bright mode. I'd be willing to bet it's due to the "Player Led" implementation. Sadly LG OLEDs are better in this regard as the TV itself processes the Dolby Vision signal.

I have a Sony X700 player I should hopefully be able to test soon. A friend of mine has it currently, but I will report back as soon as possible.
Sounds good. It's funny you mention the Matrix 4K discs because that was the first material I noticed it on. It's most noticeable on the fade outs between the WB logo and digital Matrix presentation at the beginning of the films. Personally, I felt that watching the Matrix films in Dolby Vision seemed to present a much broader dynamic range regarding the contrast compared to HDR10. It seemed almost to blown out to be believable. It's really noticeable in Neo's and Trinity's facial highlights during their conversation at the table inside the Nebuchadnezzar in Chapter 2 of the second film. I preferred HDR10 here.

But watching the Hobbit Trilogy in Dolby Vision vs HDR10 was the opposite. HDR10 seemed more blown out and Dolby Vision was much more deep and natural.

·
Vendor
28,694 Posts
I'm at 150 hours of very mixed usage. I feel it's improved from out of the box, but not by much sadly.
You need double the hours, then run the comp cycle and see what happens, run that TV 24-7 till you get the hours on it, it will improve after this, usually big time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You need double the hours, then run the comp cycle and see what happens, run that TV 24-7 till you get the hours on it, it will improve after this, usually big time.
I'll see about run it as much as possible up to Friday evening and check it again. I have already ran a manual compensation cycle once though at 70 hours if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just lurking along here in the background...
I am not having an picture quality problems, but this begs the question:
Is there a recommended break-in process? What's the "comp cycle" and should it be run regardless of panel performance?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just lurking along here in the background...
I am not having an picture quality problems, but this begs the question:
Is there a recommended break-in process? What's the "comp cycle" and should it be run regardless of panel performance?
The manual compensation cycle is supposed to only be used as need to fix imagine retention and the like and the pop up says to only run it once a year to avoid premature wear. To the best of my knowledge, 100 hours of normal use should be considered a solid break-in period, but some say 200 hours or more.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The manual compensation cycle is supposed to only be used as need to fix imagine retention and the like and the pop up says to only run it once a year to avoid premature wear. To the best of my knowledge, 100 hours of normal use should be considered a solid break-in period, but some say 200 hours or more.
@D-Nice says 100.

And Sony explicit states not to run comp cycle more than once a year ... if you need to do that, I’d consider that the panel is defective and time to get a new one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mmhh on my A8h the button list to call service menu does not work. I don’t know why.

Is Pow Off display 5 vol+ Pow On right?

After this procedure, my TV turns off and doesn't turn again. I have to take off the socket. Lol

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mmhh on my A8h the button list to call service menu does not work. I don’t know why.

Is Pow Off display 5 vol+ Pow On right?

After this procedure, my TV turns off and doesn't turn again. I have to take off the socket. Lol
Could be different buttons in Italy? The procedure I posted works for my tv. I’m in the USA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased an LG BX, but switched to an Sony A8H when I realized there was no DTS audio support for the LG.

I compared the two side by side before returning the BX. Both Tv’s were tested at max OLED brightness and contrast. Both were playing the same HDR content through Netflix and YouTube.

The LG BX was clearly more bright than the Sony A8H. I’ve tried adjusting all of the settings and verified that the Sony is playing in HDR, but it is still less bright.

According to rtings “HDR Real Scene Peak Brightnesstesting, the A8H is much more bright than the LG: 654 cd/m² vs 454 cd/m².

I’m worried that since the TV’s were so far on back order due to COVID and Black Friday sales, that it was rushed to get out which may have affected the panel.

Does this panel seem like it could be defective?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Anybody know how to disable auto shutoff when it’s paused while using a built in app? It shuts off when idle for like 10 minutes or so and it’s so annoying.

5821 - 5840 of 6055 Posts