AVS Forum banner

5841 - 5860 of 6055 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased an LG BX, but switched to an Sony A8H when I realized there was no DTS audio support for the LG.

I compared the two side by side before returning the BX. Both Tv’s were tested at max OLED brightness and contrast. Both were playing the same HDR content through Netflix and YouTube.

The LG BX was clearly more bright than the Sony A8H. I’ve tried adjusting all of the settings and verified that the Sony is playing in HDR, but it is still less bright.

According to rtings “HDR Real Scene Peak Brightnesstesting, the A8H is much more bright than the LG: 654 cd/m² vs 454 cd/m².

I’m worried that since the TV’s were so far on back order due to COVID and Black Friday sales, that it was rushed to get out which may have affected the panel.

Does this panel seem like it could be defective?

I saw the same thing comparing my old LG B8 to new Sony A8H and found the same thing. I believe it comes down the the tone mapping choice from Sony. However, without comparing the sets side by side it's not a noticeable difference in my opinion. They both get plenty bright in my opinion, but the out of the box calibration is noticably better on the Sony in my opinion. Specifically with skin tones. On the flip side sadly my LG B8 has perfect panel uniformity where the Sony does not. So whether to exchange the Sony and try another or to just return and keep my B8 is my current dilemma. 😕

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok I though it was “display button”.
So, at this point I need to know where is the “display button”? :)
Right use the button under the 7 as the DISPLAY button.
ALSO make sure u press the complete sequence WITHIN 2 seconds, if you take longer it wont work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Right use the button under the 7 as the DISPLAY button.
ALSO make sure u press the complete sequence WITHIN 2 seconds, if you take longer it wont work.
Thanks for the 2 seconds suggestion. I was doing it slowly and couldnt get to the service menu, but got it to work after your suggestion.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
HOME > Settings > Device Preferences > Power > Auto-shutoff > Off
I checked that option and it’s set to off but the tv still powers off when I have something on pause on the built in apps. It shuts off a few minutes after the screen saver kicks in.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I purchased an LG BX, but switched to an Sony A8H when I realized there was no DTS audio support for the LG.

I compared the two side by side before returning the BX. Both Tv’s were tested at max OLED brightness and contrast. Both were playing the same HDR content through Netflix and YouTube.

The LG BX was clearly more bright than the Sony A8H. I’ve tried adjusting all of the settings and verified that the Sony is playing in HDR, but it is still less bright.

According to rtings “HDR Real Scene Peak Brightnesstesting, the A8H is much more bright than the LG: 654 cd/m² vs 454 cd/m².

I’m worried that since the TV’s were so far on back order due to COVID and Black Friday sales, that it was rushed to get out which may have affected the panel.

Does this panel seem like it could be defective?
Can you post the exact settings you are using on both TVs?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank you! I done. 1156 1155. 1 hour of different? 🤨 maybe is about when the tv is on with only audio. Thank you to all who helped me

·
Registered
481 Posts
HOME > Settings > Device Preferences > Power > Auto-shutoff > Off
I checked that option and it’s set to off but the tv still powers off when I have something on pause on the built in apps. It shuts off a few minutes after the screen saver kicks in.
In that case check the "Screen saver" settings
HOME > Settings > Device Preferences > Screen saver > When to start > up to 2 hours

Being an OLED it probably is not a good idea to change this setting as the TV is protecting you from Image Retention.
Not sure this setting would over ride the TV's behavior.

·
Vendor
28,694 Posts
I saw the same thing comparing my old LG B8 to new Sony A8H and found the same thing. I believe it comes down the the tone mapping choice from Sony. However, without comparing the sets side by side it's not a noticeable difference in my opinion. They both get plenty bright in my opinion, but the out of the box calibration is noticably better on the Sony in my opinion. Specifically with skin tones. On the flip side sadly my LG B8 has perfect panel uniformity where the Sony does not. So whether to exchange the Sony and try another or to just return and keep my B8 is my current dilemma. 😕
A8H and B8 the same size, if so your B8 will be very close to the A8H anyway. I mean I would take the A8H over an older model any day, but to update and expect a HUGE gain is not going to happen as I am sure you have already seen, ignoring the panel uniformity issue of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I tried to search these posts for my problem but not sure if I found any of similar issues as I'm having.
My 55-inch A8H was received around Dec 1 from Best Buy so I can possibly return by Jan 16. About every 2-3 days I'm having an issue where I turn on the tv, either the sound or picture (or both) won't work coming from at least two of my inputs (cable box via hdmi) and roku (hdmi). I can hit the home button and i'll get sound and visual but when i try to go to those which are always on, nothing. Only if i re-boot the tv will they come back again. Obviously this is completely annoying since my kids encounter it occasionally when turning on the tv. I can easily troubleshoot but being only a month old ....
Should I do a factory data reset?
or other?
or return?
Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that Dolby Vision via HDMI seems to elevate the minimum black level a touch? Meaning, even on a screen that is supposed to be pitch black, the screen glows ever so slightly.

I have a X700 connected and when a play UHD discs with DoVi enabled, I am able to notice that. However, if I toggle DoVi to "off" and force HDR10, this phenomenon does not occur. If I lower the black level setting to 49 while playing Dolby Vision content, black transition screens are just that.

Before anyone asks, I have tried;
-different HDMI cables
-different HDMI inputs
-different color space settings

Unfortunately, I do not have a different UHD player to try that is Dolby Vision capable. Just wondering if that is a function of how Sony implements Dolby Vision on this set, using the Low Latency profile.

I wouldn't call it distracting or to the same degree that was being discussed with the LG's or Vizio OLED's prior to FW updates. Just.....noticeable in a perfectly black viewing room.
Question for the experts on here first then my response. In the service menu can you make sub level fine adjustments for the black level for Dolby Vision? I know this is different tech but on my BVM and PVM CRT’s you can do sub contrast and sub brightness adjustments so I would think this would be possible in the service menu of the A8H? I think a setting between 49&50 would be perfect.

Ok so more backstory.
I was gonna post about this exact issue and it relates to an issue I had with this set regarding posterization on a few Dolby Vision titles via Netflix and some even on 4k Disc. I have 2 4k players, the Panny UB820 and Sony x800m2. So I had accepted the posterization because it came up so rarely it wasn’t a huge issue. However recently I noticed the issue you said of a black screen having just a touch of grey. You could only notice in a black room. Almost looked like minor back light bleed on an LED. The same black screen on HDR10 or SDR is perfectly black. And the issue happened on both 4k players playing DV content. Taking the black level down to 49 fixes the issue and makes the black screen black and also fixed all my posterization issues as the posterized areas in those scenes are now being properly shown as shadow or near black. It also helped some of the DSE these panels get on panning dark grey scenes. Yes on certain scenes that are near black or dark grey if you pause and toggle between 49 & 50 it seems like you are slightly crushing some blacks but I’ll take the trade off. It could also be though that 49 is the correct setting and 50 is incorrectly raising the black. I’ve also compared some scenes from Bumblebee since I have 2 4k discs of that movie. So I put the x800m2 on HDR10 and the UB820 ok Dolby vision. When I pause certain scenes to compare with Dolby vision at 49 and HDR10 at 50 they seem about it the same and if I raise DV to 50 it seems to be raised black more than HDR10. It makes me believe that 49 is closer to correct than 50 for the black level setting on Dolby Vision. D-Nice had also theorized that the low end calibration from the factory was wrong on this set for some and thus why the issues came up. The black going to 49 is probably not perfectly fixing the issue like from the factory but it’s probably doing enough good to offset the issue. For me I just decided that even if it’s crushing blacks ever so slightly the trade off of not having the distracting solid black screen that’s not solid black and not having the posterization was worth it. Hope that helps.

And again I’d love to know if it’s possible to make sub adjustments to DV black level in the service menu as a setting between 49&50 would be perfect because if on an HDR10 black screen if you take the black level from 50 to 51, 51 is brighter than 50 on Dolby vision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Help- just got this funky black strip on the screen- won’t go away upon a reset- has anyone seen this?
No one ever answers my questions LOL. Please see above- had the tv a month- 1 inch thick vertical black band w static. Assume it’s busted. Anyone had this? Still within return window. All views appreciated. Thanks

5841 - 5860 of 6055 Posts