AVS Forum banner

5861 - 5880 of 6055 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
No one ever answers my questions LOL. Please see above- had the tv a month- 1 inch thick vertical black band w static. Assume it’s busted. Anyone had this? Still within return window. All views appreciated. Thanks
My suggestion would be reset. But since you already did, I’d say return it ASAP.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Question for the experts on here first then my response. In the service menu can you make sub level fine adjustments for the black level for Dolby Vision? I know this is different tech but on my BVM and PVM CRT’s you can do sub contrast and sub brightness adjustments so I would think this would be possible in the service menu of the A8H? I think a setting between 49&50 would be perfect.

Ok so more backstory.
I was gonna post about this exact issue and it relates to an issue I had with this set regarding posterization on a few Dolby Vision titles via Netflix and some even on 4k Disc. I have 2 4k players, the Panny UB820 and Sony x800m2. So I had accepted the posterization because it came up so rarely it wasn’t a huge issue. However recently I noticed the issue you said of a black screen having just a touch of grey. You could only notice in a black room. Almost looked like minor back light bleed on an LED. The same black screen on HDR10 or SDR is perfectly black. And the issue happened on both 4k players playing DV content. Taking the black level down to 49 fixes the issue and makes the black screen black and also fixed all my posterization issues as the posterized areas in those scenes are now being properly shown as shadow or near black. It also helped some of the DSE these panels get on panning dark grey scenes. Yes on certain scenes that are near black or dark grey if you pause and toggle between 49 & 50 it seems like you are slightly crushing some blacks but I’ll take the trade off. It could also be though that 49 is the correct setting and 50 is incorrectly raising the black. I’ve also compared some scenes from Bumblebee since I have 2 4k discs of that movie. So I put the x800m2 on HDR10 and the UB820 ok Dolby vision. When I pause certain scenes to compare with Dolby vision at 49 and HDR10 at 50 they seem about it the same and if I raise DV to 50 it seems to be raised black more than HDR10. It makes me believe that 49 is closer to correct than 50 for the black level setting on Dolby Vision. D-Nice had also theorized that the low end calibration from the factory was wrong on this set for some and thus why the issues came up. The black going to 49 is probably not perfectly fixing the issue like from the factory but it’s probably doing enough good to offset the issue. For me I just decided that even if it’s crushing blacks ever so slightly the trade off of not having the distracting solid black screen that’s not solid black and not having the posterization was worth it. Hope that helps.

And again I’d love to know if it’s possible to make sub adjustments to DV black level in the service menu as a setting between 49&50 would be perfect because if on an HDR10 black screen if you take the black level from 50 to 51, 51 is brighter than 50 on Dolby vision.
Unfortunately, the black part has always been very complicated ... although the oled makes the absolute black, getting out of the black has always been problematic. Personally, it doesn't seem like a problem to me, and in the absence of comparison, all you have to do is assume that it blocks some details in that area of light because you don't know what the creator's intention was. For hdmi the correct is 49 or you have the details in black higher .... you will only see it in a dark room or at night. Unfortunately the settings do not can be adjusted only general (menu service), what you can do is to unlock the expert modes and there to make a setting for TV programs and another for hdmi, with black 49 not 50. I do not see another solution. I have them for hdmi and there is no problem there. More recently, after the last update, I see that it also needs 49 for the netflix application, the pre-installed one ... I use another application that goes through kodi for a better control of the framerate and I noticed using it by mistake that the black is high.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Bought the 65A8H last month and waiting for an installer to come and put it on the wall and run cables and would like to know if AppleTV+ has been added? I know it was added to a few models a month or so ago and curious if I need to add my AppleTV 4K to list of cords to add to the TV. Thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bought the 65A8H last month and waiting for an installer to come and put it on the wall and run cables and would like to know if AppleTV+ has been added? I know it was added to a few models a month or so ago and curious if I need to add my AppleTV 4K to list of cords to add to the TV. Thanks.
Atv+ is in the newest firmware update.

Go Cubs go!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Question for the experts on here first then my response. In the service menu can you make sub level fine adjustments for the black level for Dolby Vision? I know this is different tech but on my BVM and PVM CRT’s you can do sub contrast and sub brightness adjustments so I would think this would be possible in the service menu of the A8H? I think a setting between 49&50 would be perfect.

Ok so more backstory.
I was gonna post about this exact issue and it relates to an issue I had with this set regarding posterization on a few Dolby Vision titles via Netflix and some even on 4k Disc. I have 2 4k players, the Panny UB820 and Sony x800m2. So I had accepted the posterization because it came up so rarely it wasn’t a huge issue. However recently I noticed the issue you said of a black screen having just a touch of grey. You could only notice in a black room. Almost looked like minor back light bleed on an LED. The same black screen on HDR10 or SDR is perfectly black. And the issue happened on both 4k players playing DV content. Taking the black level down to 49 fixes the issue and makes the black screen black and also fixed all my posterization issues as the posterized areas in those scenes are now being properly shown as shadow or near black. It also helped some of the DSE these panels get on panning dark grey scenes. Yes on certain scenes that are near black or dark grey if you pause and toggle between 49 & 50 it seems like you are slightly crushing some blacks but I’ll take the trade off. It could also be though that 49 is the correct setting and 50 is incorrectly raising the black. I’ve also compared some scenes from Bumblebee since I have 2 4k discs of that movie. So I put the x800m2 on HDR10 and the UB820 ok Dolby vision. When I pause certain scenes to compare with Dolby vision at 49 and HDR10 at 50 they seem about it the same and if I raise DV to 50 it seems to be raised black more than HDR10. It makes me believe that 49 is closer to correct than 50 for the black level setting on Dolby Vision. D-Nice had also theorized that the low end calibration from the factory was wrong on this set for some and thus why the issues came up. The black going to 49 is probably not perfectly fixing the issue like from the factory but it’s probably doing enough good to offset the issue. For me I just decided that even if it’s crushing blacks ever so slightly the trade off of not having the distracting solid black screen that’s not solid black and not having the posterization was worth it. Hope that helps.

And again I’d love to know if it’s possible to make sub adjustments to DV black level in the service menu as a setting between 49&50 would be perfect because if on an HDR10 black screen if you take the black level from 50 to 51, 51 is brighter than 50 on Dolby vision.
I'm glad to not be the only one. It's a bummer because I just ordered a UB820 hoping that might be worth trying but it sounds like it will behave the same. I also order the S&M UHD calibration disk to check and see how badly the blacks get crushed in Dolby Vision with a Black Level setting of 49. Crazy that only a few have noticed this or mentioned it so far.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So looking through the setup menus it seems like the A8H remote is Bluetooth. Do I understand that correctly?

Never knew such a thing existed. Are lots of remotes Bluetooth nowadays or is that a quirky Sony thing?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Unfortunately, the black part has always been very complicated ... although the oled makes the absolute black, getting out of the black has always been problematic. Personally, it doesn't seem like a problem to me, and in the absence of comparison, all you have to do is assume that it blocks some details in that area of light because you don't know what the creator's intention was. For hdmi the correct is 49 or you have the details in black higher .... you will only see it in a dark room or at night. Unfortunately the settings do not can be adjusted only general (menu service), what you can do is to unlock the expert modes and there to make a setting for TV programs and another for hdmi, with black 49 not 50. I do not see another solution. I have them for hdmi and there is no problem there. More recently, after the last update, I see that it also needs 49 for the netflix application, the pre-installed one ... I use another application that goes through kodi for a better control of the framerate and I noticed using it by mistake that the black is high.
Yeah I just went and set all my Dolby Vision profiles to 49 instead of 50 for HDMI and the apps.

I'm glad to not be the only one. It's a bummer because I just ordered a UB820 hoping that might be worth trying but it sounds like it will behave the same. I also order the S&M UHD calibration disk to check and see how badly the blacks get crushed in Dolby Vision with a Black Level setting of 49. Crazy that only a few have noticed this or mentioned it so far.
You won’t regret the 820 though, please keep it! It’s better than the Sony. Dolby Vision output on the Sony player is dim compared to the 820. Not to mention the 820 auto switches between DV and HDR10 unlike the Sony which you have to toggle on/off. The 820 is a real pro level player.

I’ve been wanting to get the S&M disc too but it’s been at $40 for a while. I also found this and was thinking of getting this instead. It’s $35

·
Vendor
28,694 Posts
So looking through the setup menus it seems like the A8H remote is Bluetooth. Do I understand that correctly?

Never knew such a thing existed. Are lots of remotes Bluetooth nowadays or is that a quirky Sony thing?
Many are Bluetooth now, including LG OLED.

·
Registered
35 Posts

It's both. You can operate the TV fine without the Bluetooth turned on but you need it for certain functions (voice commands, for example) and you might need BT to control some set-top boxes with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can also download the TV sideview app and control over WiFi, I wonder if there is a Bluetooth version will look into later.

I've started using a restricted profile as I needed to get the kids off YouTube, anyone else use, had some odd behaviour with getting it too auto switch on hmdi the sky box is connected too, have to manually select input.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ok ... my turn ... A8h 65” should it stay or should it go? (Apologies to The Clash.) 4x what I’ve ever spend for a TV, so I want to make sure it lasts for 5+ years.

Look at my 5% pic take w/iPhone 12 pro max camera ... what I see is darker than the pic, and is grey ... no colors as in pic. Wonder if the slight rectangles I see are a problem as well as the 3-4 1” marks on the top of the panel. Sometimes they appear on 5% slide, sometimes not.

Need to decide tomorrow if I’m swapping out my panel. Had it since Prime day and it has 1,000 hours on it. The only times I notice the “sheer curtain” are rare dark grey scenes like the famed queens gambit intro scene. But never other times.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok ... my turn ... A8h 65” should it stay or should it go? (Apologies to The Clash.) 4x what I’ve ever spend for a TV, so I want to make sure it lasts for 5+ years.

Look at my 5% pic take w/iPhone 12 pro max camera ... what I see is darker than the pic, and is grey ... no colors as in pic. Wonder if the slight rectangles I see are a problem as well as the 3-4 1” marks on the top of the panel. Sometimes they appear on 5% slide, sometimes not.

Need to decide tomorrow if I’m swapping out my panel. Had it since Prime day and it has 1,000 hours on it. The only times I notice the “sheer curtain” are rare dark grey scenes like the famed queens gambit intro scene. But never other times.

My original 65A8H that I bought from Best Buy in October (August build) looked a lot like that. Although, I didn't have the swaths at the top of the screen. I did exchange mine a week ago and the replacement (December build) does not have the rectangle patterns and has a lot better uniformity in general. Personally, I am happier with the replacement.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah I just went and set all my Dolby Vision profiles to 49 instead of 50 for HDMI and the apps.

You won’t regret the 820 though, please keep it! It’s better than the Sony. Dolby Vision output on the Sony player is dim compared to the 820. Not to mention the 820 auto switches between DV and HDR10 unlike the Sony which you have to toggle on/off. The 820 is a real pro level player.

I’ve been wanting to get the S&M disc too but it’s been at $40 for a while. I also found this and was thinking of getting this instead. It’s $35
That's good to know that there is a noticeable uptick in performance that comes with the price. Can you also force HDR instead of Dolby Vision on the 820 if you want? Also, does the Sony TV remote have some basic control over the 820? I do really like how I can control my X700 with the TV remote.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My original 65A8H that I bought from Best Buy in October (August build) looked a lot like that. Although, I didn't have the swaths at the top of the screen. I did exchange mine a week ago and the replacement (December build) does not have the rectangle patterns and has a lot better uniformity in general. Personally, I am happier with the replacement.
What did you tell them, and did you do it online or via store?

·
Registered
135 Posts
What did you tell them, and did you do it online or via store?
I just told them that it had some screen uniformity issues, that was it. I was prepared to show them pictures but they allowed me to exchange it pretty easily. I actually had picked up the second A8H ahead of time so I could compare the two side by side. I wanted to be sure it wasn't typical with this type of display as it was my first OLED.

5861 - 5880 of 6055 Posts