AVS Forum banner

5941 - 5946 of 5946 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I “invested” 15 bucks in one of those ultra low tech flat indoor antennas and stuck it in the window nearest the TV.

Wow, now I know what the A8H is capable of showing with live sports. Watching the Fulham-Chelsea game on my local NBC affiliate over the air is eye-opening. Not only does it look so much clearer than most streaming content, it looks far better than the same program through my Spectrum/TWC cable DVR.

No motion artifacts, you can see the ball rotate, stays sharp during camera pans. Never a hint of pixelation anywhere.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I “invested” 15 bucks in one of those ultra low tech flat indoor antennas and stuck it in the window nearest the TV.

Wow, now I know what the A8H is capable of showing with live sports. Watching the Fulham-Chelsea game on my local NBC affiliate over the air is eye-opening. Not only does it look so much clearer than most streaming content, it looks far better than the same program through my Spectrum/TWC cable DVR.

No motion artifacts, you can see the ball rotate, stays sharp during camera pans. Never a hint of pixelation anywhere.
Cable companies sure love the over compress the signal to fit more channels through. Cable companies are all about quantity, not quality.

Reactions: TheGigaShadow

·
Vendor
28,607 Posts

It is amazing is it not, one time charge of 15 bucks and in some cases 30+ channels for free....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well my TV found I think 35 or 37 “channels” but only a handful of them are full bandwidth network feeds. The rest are blurry old filler junk on the .2, .3, .4 secondary digitals.

But likewise there are less than a dozen of the channels out of the 100+ on my cable package that I’be ever watched for a minute.

I pretty much watch soccer, a little NFL football, an occasional baseball game. The rest of my viewing is non-sports viewing with my wife, streamed content from Netflix or Prime.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Any way that you could check this out on the X700 and UB820,

This morning I discovered that if I disable 24p output on the X700, the black levels during Dolby Vision content from a disc are WAY darker. I was watch the 4K UHD of the LOTR:FOTR and at during the opening sequence there are a number of continues full black screens that appeared very much black. When I engaged the 24p, again the black levels were elevated much higher. Forcing HDR10 was still the best, as far as reproducing absolute black.

Also, for some reason, streaming Dolby Vision content with the X700 Netflix app, the black levels were noticeably better on full screen black. Netflix Dolby Vision content with 24p enabled full screen black scenes matched 4K UHD full screen black levels when the discs were played with 24p disabled. Netflix Dolby Vision content with 24p disabled had perfect full screen blacks.
Yes I can try disabling 24p on the 820 to see if that makes a difference.

We just finished watching LOTR trilogy. It was so dang good wasn’t it? The Atmos mix on those movies is DEMO worthy! Anyways yes I had noticed those spots in the openings of FOTR as well. I will see if disabling 24p makes a difference.

Also I tried playing a couple Dolby Vision demos on my USB drive through the TV’s USB input and 50 still had the elevated solid black screen just like on HDMI sources so I know you said you noticed a difference with those slides between HDMI & USB but they seem to be the same to me.

Also pausing at some different dark scenes last night in Return of the King there was just so many times where having it on 50 seemed wrong and 49 seemed how it was meant to be. Like 50 would have weird halo’s or globs or grey and 49 fixed them.

As far as Netflix I remember stranger things having some issues where I noticed the elevated black and changing to 49 fixed that. My findings so far have found the error to be consistent with Dolby Vision across all inputs and sources where 50 doesn’t seem to be right and 49 seems much closer to black.

Also, I’m sure the calibration guys wouldn’t recommend this but I like to put the gamma at 1 instead of 0 for Dolby Vision and and HDR10. Helps it pop just a lot more over SDR. Also putting it to 1 helps bring back a bit of brightness lost in dark scenes from taking black from 50 to 49. Also when I was using the x800m2 before getting the 820 I would have to put the gamma at 2 since the Sony player had dim DV output. The 820 DV output looks amazing though and with the gamma back at 1 it’s perfect for me!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I’m finding that I have to adjust settings within the same input or source to get the best image. While watching cable tv, hdr or Netflix Dolby vision, just when I think I’ve nailed my settings down, I find that I need to change them....movie to movie, show to show. Specifically, adjusting peak luminance seems to be needed to maximize pic quality for me

5941 - 5946 of 5946 Posts