AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 1269 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Personally, I'll take better motion over possibly better calibration out of the box. As for build quality, I'll take the aluminum bezel and simpler design of the A8H.

But I would probably order the remote that comes with the A9G.
Mee to but the price is not fair at all, it's way too expensive, it should be cheaper than last year and not more expensive.

Thats exactly my point. The A9G is the A8H with better audio and better speakers.
This is why I said, why exactly is A8H more expensive if it's an A9G just in a different design with better motion, it doesn't justify the extra 200€. It's a year since A9G was released, it should be cheaper but not more expensive. With A8H Sony is releasing almost the same TV as A9G a year later and is selling it with a higher price.:rolleyes:

Anyway thread title says no price talk, Sony always had ridiculous prices and it won't change as it looks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe that the A9H was canceled. There may be an A9(I?) next year.
Netflix certified an AJ9 this year but then removed it

XH8005 | XH8077 | XH8096 | XH8196 | A8 | A85 | A87 | A89 | A9 | AJ9 | XH9505 | ZH8

Enviado desde mi J9110 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Vincent said that it can mimic plasma. Actually he said "plasmaesque" motion. I own the CX and i've seen the HZ1000 compared next to it. I also owned a plasma and the motion is nothing close compared to the 2020 BFI
The Sony can't afford the Brightness hit using BFI IMO ... Heck, I have a hard time setting it at just 1 on the CX. Supposed to be only a 1 candle hit but sure seems like more than that to me?
Going by the flatpanelshd.com reviews, the brightness drop on the CX is 15% and 40% at levels 1 & 2 respectively. On the A8H it’s 0% and 21%.

Vincent actually measured the A8H as being brighter at level 1 compared to off.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
This is why I said, why exactly is A8H more expensive if it's an A9G just in a different design with better motion, it doesn't justify the extra 200€.
Please stop making this statement, over and over again, without the proper qualification. The A8H may be more expensive than the A9G in your country (and where exactly do you live?), but the A8H is LESS expensive in many, if not most, countries, such as the US (the largest market) and the UK. :rolleyes: I agree with you that it makes no sense to be more expensive, and you obviously have the choice of simply buying the A9G if it's a better deal where you live, but you keep generalizing it as your pricing holds true everywhere, and it does not. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you take a look at the prices recommended by Sony, the A9G should also be more expensive than the A8 in Europe. However, the market does not reflect this since the A8 has just come out while the A9G has been out for about one year. That’s simply how supply and demand works. By the way: I got my brand new 65AG9 for € 1999 and it can still be had for about 2099 in Germany at the moment.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am close to 200hrs since I have not turned off the TV since I’ve got it, well I had to for the software update but I have been running 10hrs of color slides while I am not watching. I have never calibrated any of my monitors. In the industry we just use Grey Bars and oscilloscopes to set the monitors correctly and my eyes are my best calibration. Everything that will enhance or modify the image electronically I turn off. I am very impressed with the Sony PQ and I am glad I made the upgrade.
That's great to hear you're pleased with the upgrade. I was also a bit concerned about motion coming from a plasma, but I no longer have those concerns.

Regarding the slides you're running... are you running them from a USB flash drive plugged into the TV, or are you running them in forced HDR mode from an external player? I do not have an external player to run the @D-Nice break-in slides in HDR, so I'm curious if there's any settings I should adjust within the stock 'Photo' mode when running the slides stored on a flash drive. I confirmed brightness is set to 'Max', but I'm wondering if settings like contrast should also be increased as well.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
In order to install the update I had to turned it off. Maybe for three minutes then back on again. How long should I keep it off for the cycle?.
I was under the impression that one needs to run these cycles..warranty related. Just google OLED cycles it will pop up somewere. Read that a Sony OLED should be turned off for 45 minutes or so before cycle starts. Not shure if running your TV 24 hours a day is a good idea.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
When I last spoke with Value Electronics and Robert took my call he told me the engineering upgrades that are integrated into the A8H. Robert specifically said the X1 Ultimate processor was re-tuned for the A8H and it now sends more processing power to the low luminance areas of the image to bring our more detail in the near black luminance levels.

Here's the link to VE's A8H comparison video and at the 7:20 mark he explains exactly what Sony engineers told him about the near black processing methodology. Earlier in the video the reviews the new Clearness menu, which are the BFI advancements for the A8h. I wish Robert would join AVS Forum so we can get all of his insider information and technical knowledge.

https://youtu.be/HDDu6UoZ99g?t=440
Robert Zohn was removed from AVS a few years back...had way more posts than Vincent Teoh:rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's great to hear you're pleased with the upgrade. I was also a bit concerned about motion coming from a plasma, but I no longer have those concerns.

Regarding the slides you're running... are you running them from a USB flash drive plugged into the TV, or are you running them in forced HDR mode from an external player? I do not have an external player to run the @D-Nice break-in slides in HDR, so I'm curious if there's any settings I should adjust within the stock 'Photo' mode when running the slides stored on a flash drive. I confirmed brightness is set to 'Max', but I'm wondering if settings like contrast should also be increased as well.
I am running them from this link on the TV app YouTube.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was under the impression that one needs to run these cycles..warranty related. Just google OLED cycles it will pop up somewere. Read that a Sony OLED should be turned off for 45 minutes or so before cycle starts. Not shure if running your TV 24 hours a day is a good idea.
I am doing these for two purposes:

1. To reach the 200hrs for break in an stabilization.

2. If something is wrong with the TV it will show in the first week or second week of continuous usage.

After the 200hrs mark I will be going back to regular usage. I don’t think that leaving the monitor on 24hrs a day is detrimental; otherwise,TV stations would have to be changing their monitors very often and that’s not the case. Obviously, the only disadvantage would be reaching the lifespan of the Oled life sooner than later.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Robert Zohn was removed from AVS a few years back...had way more posts than Vincent Teoh:rolleyes:
I searched for Robert Zohn in every way you could use the name and is company name and could not find him as a member. Are you sure it was Robert Zohn from Value Electronics?

Robert is so well mannered and helpful I can't imagine him being removed. Regardless if it was him or not maybe we can still get him on AVS. Seems to me we'd all benefit from his membership to get the answers to all of these technical questions.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Going by the flatpanelshd.com reviews, the brightness drop on the CX is 15% and 40% at levels 1 & 2 respectively. On the A8H it’s 0% and 21%.

Vincent actually measured the A8H as being brighter at level 1 compared to off.

As long as Level 1 is enough thats great news for the Sony! But of course, 15% and 40% against a panel that is X percent brighter to start with yields ...

·
Vendor
26,625 Posts
I believe that the A9H was canceled. There may be an A9(I?) next year.
That is the rumor that is looking true, however the top dog units sometimes come out in September or 4TH quarter release, so we will see......

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I searched for Robert Zohn in every way you could use the name and is company name and could not find him as a member. Are you sure it was Robert Zohn from Value Electronics?

Robert is so well mannered and helpful I can't imagine him being removed. Regardless if it was him or not maybe we can still get him on AVS. Seems to me we'd all benefit from his membership to get the answers to all of these technical questions.
Yes, Robert Zohn from Value Electronics was banned from AVS. You could ask him directly as to the circumstances if you feel comfortable doing so.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts

I was a member when it happened and read posts discussing his Ban at the time. He is Banned for life on AVS. At the time it was also forbidded to link his site..all this despite the fact that the VE Shootout was/still is a big deal on AVS.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/members/8595177-robert-zohn.html

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow, sounds very serious!

Thanks for the link to his name and membership, but it shows no activity. Did he ever post and what did you read about his "Lifetime Ban". Must have been something very bad.

Robert is genially helpful with all of my questions.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Wow, sounds very serious!

Thanks for the link to his name and membership, but it shows no activity. Did he ever post and what did you read about his "Lifetime Ban". Must have been something very bad.

Robert is genially helpful with all of my questions.
Not shure how a Ban works. His posts were removed or he removed all of his posts himself. I have read his comments in some threads. Must have been sort of advertisement for the VE Event/or products which got him banned.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=263054&page=5

He is also AVS member ''DTV TiVo Dealer'' not shure how much names he uses on AVS...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/members/60810-dtv-tivo-dealer.html

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #760
As long as Level 1 is enough thats great news for the Sony!
Same reason why my settings recommend Clearness 1 as most here want a brighter picture and will alter my recommended settings to get it. I personally use Clearness 2 as I do not go above 100 nits for SDR.

741 - 760 of 1269 Posts