AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1278 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Two factory resets and one reboot over the weekend and I go to watch Netflix via the internal app last night and more garbled audio. Tried Amazon Prime and more garbling. Gave up and went with the Roku Ultra. Tried it again this morning and more garbled audio. I had to unplug the TV for a minute or so to get it to w, ork. I think I'll go with the Apple TV 4K when, hopefully, the 2020 version comes out in the fall. Love the TV, but the apps...

I forgot to mention the black screen was back as well.

The sad thing is that Sony has been making the firmware worse over time with respect to audio over eARC, not better. I have relatively few problems with my A9G if I limit output to DD instead of DD+, but I have not updated the firmware since late last year.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
Two factory resets and one reboot over the weekend and I go to watch Netflix via the internal app last night and more garbled audio. Tried Amazon Prime and more garbling. Gave up and went with the Roku Ultra. Tried it again this morning and more garbled audio. I had to unplug the TV for a minute or so to get it to work. I think I'll go with the Apple TV 4K when, hopefully, the 2020 version comes out in the fall. Love the TV, but the apps...

Why not just stick with the Roku Ultra, and skip the internal apps since they are so problematic? I have not had audio problems with my A9G and the internal apps, but I use ARC, not eARC.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Two factory resets and one reboot over the weekend and I go to watch Netflix via the internal app last night and more garbled audio. Tried Amazon Prime and more garbling. Gave up and went with the Roku Ultra. Tried it again this morning and more garbled audio. I had to unplug the TV for a minute or so to get it to work. I think I'll go with the Apple TV 4K when, hopefully, the 2020 version comes out in the fall. Love the TV, but the apps...

I am waiting for A9G, and eARC is a "nice to have" feature. Unfortunately, eARC seems to be a hit and miss on most TV's that have this feature. If I read correctly internal apps only outputs lossy audio signals through ARC/eARC, Since the TV's are very similar, do you have same issues just using ARC for OTA and internal apps?

·
Vendor
26,667 Posts
I heard these OLEDS are the closest thing to Plasma, also prone to burn-ins. Any true? I love my aging plasma but dislike LCD/LED because none, even the newer ones don't compare to what I have in terms of picture quality.
I agree, just waiting on that cost effective 85" or 90" OLED ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does this 2020 model have significant upgrades in regards to motion (panning shots) ? Just curious if they added in any new tech or tricks to make it smoother.
Unless you use motion interpolation there is no way to have "smooth" anything on OLED . Motion interpolation is a little bit changed from the 2019 models because it has configurable BFI but still doesn't help without some motion interpolation

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does this 2020 model have significant upgrades in regards to motion (panning shots) ? Just curious if they added in any new tech or tricks to make it smoother.
For reducing motion blur, the A8H is the first model that has BFI running at 120hz and when you combine it with interpolation on low, the results are very good for a sample+hold OLED imo, and the brightness hit is modest on the lower settings. With regard to judder, all 24fps content I've watched on it has been totally smooth/evenly paced because even without inputting at 24hz I think it just figures it out and does 5:5 pulldown. I don't think I could go back to using a 60hz panel because of this, very happy with my low-framerate results so far on this. Sony's "Smoothness" 1 setting is pretty awesome, for my taste. Makes things way less stuttery without any SOE really.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For reducing motion blur, the A8H is the first model that has BFI running at 120hz and when you combine it with interpolation on low, the results are very good for a sample+hold OLED imo, and the brightness hit is modest on the lower settings. With regard to judder, all 24fps content I've watched on it has been totally smooth/evenly paced because even without inputting at 24hz I think it just figures it out and does 5:5 pulldown. I don't think I could go back to using a 60hz panel because of this, very happy with my low-framerate results so far on this. Sony's "Smoothness" 1 setting is pretty awesome, for my taste. Makes things way less stuttery without any SOE really.
As far as I know, BFI runs at 96Hz on the A8H.

Have you tried BFI in HDR? Is it useable, or is the brightness drop too much?

·
Registered
77 Posts
@Metalex @ScottFern @ldb91

The A8H's is 4:4 pull down 96hz. That fixes the judder.

Smoothness 1 fixes only some 24p issues like some types of panning shots. Doesn't fix the high contrast OLED stutter between objects or some head movement on a person filmed with the wrong shutter. It still produces some ringing artefacts when text that is different than white is displayed during a panning shot top to bottom for example.

Its not awesome ... its nothing new - Sony had it for a long time and its the exact same motion algorithm. Almost any other brand caught up to Sony's Smoothness 1 - for example LG and Panasonic.
X-Motion Clarity ( Sony's BFI ) runs again in 4:4 pull down 96hz. In HDR on 1 it losses ~120nits , on 2 it looses ~250nits . It looses the least vs LG And Panasonic. Its definitely watchable if you are willing to sacrifice some brightness.

PS The new smoothness 1 on the faster MT5985 ( S900 ) thats included in the X900H is a lot better and there are 0 artefacts and it looks awesome. Unfortunately the X900H is LED and the quality of the panel is nothing compared to an OLED. Can't wait for Sony to include that CPU in their next gen OLED.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is BFI a killer feature.

For those A8H owners, what content do you use Black Frame Insertion for? I have friends who have both old CRTs and Plasmas and I really enjoy the motion. I don't notice the flicker. I'm wondering what content benefits from BFI on the Sony? Live-Sports like Baseball and Football? Low-Frame rate animation like Japanese Anime? Does it benefit Hollywood films that have motion blur inherent in the source? I don't know whether or not it's a killer feature worth getting over the LG CX's higher brightness and less aggressive ABL.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Aside from TV tech related motion quality of content also has an impact on motion. Best quality content will have lesser motion issues than mediocre/low quality content.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@Metalex @ScottFern @ldb91

The A8H's is 4:4 pull down 96hz. That fixes the judder.

Smoothness 1 fixes only some 24p issues like some types of panning shots. Doesn't fix the high contrast OLED stutter between objects or some head movement on a person filmed with the wrong shutter. It still produces some ringing artefacts when text that is different than white is displayed during a panning shot top to bottom for example.

Its not awesome ... its nothing new - Sony had it for a long time and its the exact same motion algorithm. Almost any other brand caught up to Sony's Smoothness 1 - for example LG
X-Motion Clarity ( Sony's BFI ) runs again in 4:4 pull down 96hz. In HDR on 1 it losses ~120nits , on 2 it looses ~250nits . It looses the least vs LG And Panasonic. Its definitely watchable if you are willing to sacrifice some brightness.

PS The new smoothness 1 on the faster MT5985 ( S900 ) thats included in the X900H is a lot better and there are 0 artefacts and it looks awesome. Unfortunately the X900H is LED and the quality of the panel is nothing compared to an OLED. Can't wait for Sony to include that CPU in their next gen OLED.

Not sure what your getting at. Why would Sony go backwards and include the x1 processor on the ah8 or other oleds? The x900h still has the x1 processor if anything the flagship x950h and ah8 both have the x1 ultimate processor which is an upgrade.

·
Registered
17,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,033
Not sure what your getting at. Why would Sony go backwards and include the x1 processor on the ah8 or other oleds? The x900h still has the x1 processor if anything the flagship x950h and ah8 both have the x1 ultimate processor which is an upgrade.
He is referring to the MediaTek chipset. That is separate from the X1.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sony's "Smoothness" 1 setting is pretty awesome, for my taste. Makes things way less stuttery without any SOE really.

Its not awesome ... its nothing new - Sony had it for a long time and its the exact same motion algorithm. Almost any other brand caught up to Sony's Smoothness 1 - for example LG and Panasonic.

I was watching an episode of The Simpsons on YouTube TV (internal app) and there was a panning shot of text on a chalkboard. I noticed it was somewhat difficult to read as the shot panned across the text. I have D-Nice's recommended motion settings in place with the exception of CineMotion set to Off (that setting improved stutter of sports tickers scrolling across the bottom of the screen).

Leaving the Clearness setting at 1, I decided to increase Smoothness from Min to 1. That definitely improved the scene when I watched it again. Smoothness set to 2 was even better. I could tell no difference between 2 and Max, so I left it at 2 for the time being. I haven't had time to watch much other content since changing Smoothness to 2, but what are the drawbacks to this? Is this the setting that introduces the soap opera effect? I can't say I noticed it in my limited viewing with this setting in place.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was watching an episode of The Simpsons on YouTube TV (internal app) and there was a panning shot of text on a chalkboard. I noticed it was somewhat difficult to read as the shot panned across the text. I have D-Nice's recommended motion settings in place with the exception of CineMotion set to Off (that setting improved stutter of sports tickers scrolling across the bottom of the screen).

Leaving the Clearness setting at 1, I decided to increase Smoothness from Min to 1. That definitely improved the scene when I watched it again. Smoothness set to 2 was even better. I could tell no difference between 2 and Max, so I left it at 2 for the time being. I haven't had time to watch much other content since changing Smoothness to 2, but what are the drawbacks to this? Is this the setting that introduces the soap opera effect? I can't say I noticed it in my limited viewing with this setting in place.
Smoothness controls motion interpolation. More than 1 creates SOE ( Soap Opera Effect ).
You like smoothness 2 because animations are different when it comes to motion interpolation.
Most animations look better to most people with some SOE.
Never judge motion interpolation on animation!
Also animations don't have stable frame cadence because it depends on the animation studio preference type of drawing - example Simpsons vs Promane vs BNA vs Dorohedoro.

And always remember - motion interpolation is a personal preference that noone can tell you what is best for you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
D-nice how did you get it to save different values like color between SDR and HDR? Some things like peak luminance will save different values between SDR and HDR but color for example will keep the same value for SDR and HDR so I can’️t have a different value for each. If I change it will in HDR it copies that new value to SDR. I notice in your settings on the first page for SDR you have color at 48 but at 50 for HDR. It only lets me pick a shared value for both, how did you get it to work? Dolby vision lets me save a different value so that works fine.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
No action in the SONY A8H arena for awhile ! Sure would like to see some “bragging” by new owners about how you are enjoying your panels ! I always love to hear how you are finding transition from former TVs, and the “upscaling” ability of the A8H. Loud & proud, you A8Hers ! Thanks !

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
^why dont you just go out and buy one?

·
Registered
79 Posts
D-nice how did you get it to save different values like color between SDR and HDR? Some things like peak luminance will save different values between SDR and HDR but color for example will keep the same value for SDR and HDR so I can’️t have a different value for each. If I change it will in HDR it copies that new value to SDR. I notice in your settings on the first page for SDR you have color at 48 but at 50 for HDR. It only lets me pick a shared value for both, how did you get it to work? Dolby vision lets me save a different value so that works fine.
I think I figured out my own question. Do you just have to save yourself HDR settings in a different picture mode? Anybody else do this or do most people use the same settings for SDR and HDR?

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Tonight was an indication as to why I like the internal apps over the Roku Ultra. Even though the Ultra is set to Auto and my Denon displays Dolby Surround, it's heavy on the center channel. With the internal apps, I still get the center channel, but the front left and right speakers are more inclusive. My internet took a quick dump so I had to switch to the Roku because the internal app did its thing and I got no audio when the internet returned, so I switched to the Roku, and when I did, the audio difference was very apparent. I finished my streaming for the night and went back and forth between the two, and the results were always the same. There is no contest as to which I would prefer. The internal apps.

1021 - 1040 of 1278 Posts