AVS Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1269 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’ve vetted and stand by the settings I’ve posted. They are not a substitute for a calibration but are far better than anything available OOTB. Next time I’m in NYC, I’ll swing by Robert’s, put my settings on one of his Sony OLEDs in the store, measure it with my equipment and post the results here. Easy Peasy.
So if you were going to watch a baseball game or a football game say South Carolina vs Clemson in a room with a few windows in the afternoon on a sunny October Saturday are you watching on your calibrated Sony or your calibrated LG?

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,082
So if you were going to watch a baseball game or a football game say South Carolina vs Clemson in a room with a few windows in the afternoon on a sunny October Saturday are you watching on your calibrated Sony or your calibrated LG?
Sony. I keep my LG OLEDs in storage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Will Sony bring the improved motion as firmware update to the A9G? Or does the A8H have a true hardware upgrade from the A9G?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Well, not quite. The Lg CX has hdmi 2.1 while the Sony A8H doesn’t so you technically *can go wrong as far as future proofing goes, Right?

Is the BFI panel itself on the CX and A8H identical or is it a different panel? Motion processing is very important to me and I’m personally a fan of having smooth motion (some people refer to it as soap opera effect)
There is also a post or two in this thread where D-Nice very carefully goes through motion resolution and brightness impact of various BFI and motion interpolation ("soap opera effect") settings on both televisions.
Consider whether your focus is cable/broadcast (where Sony upscaling may be better), SDR 1080p, HDR 4K, 24 Hz, 60 Hz, or something else. The future proofing comment relates most quickly to video games, which could also be at 120 Hz. But read the relevant posts.

·
Vendor
26,626 Posts
I personally think sony was going to have that with their master series oled to separate it from the a8h as another added feature to separate the 2 since the a8h has most of the master series features already.
You may be right.......

HDMI 2.1 "future proofing" is only relevant for gaming. I don't game on my OLED, so for me, HDMI 2.1 is totally irrelevant.
Gaming and 8K, although this TV is not 8K so if will not apply.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am considering purchasing an OLED. I am considering the A8H 65", Sony Master Series 77", or the LG CX 77". I am really leaning towards the Sony 77" Master. Is there a reason to purchase the A8H oppose to the 77" alternatives. The Sony Master is where I am leaning. The size and quality being the reason. Any reason, I should go with the A8H over either of the 77" sizes.

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Unless you want LG CX for gaming. IMO, the Sony is best for 4k UHD and streaming services but LG gaming features are undeniable. I really prefer Sony color accuracy and motion but it's subjective.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Not at all, the only significant difference PQ between the A9G and A8H is BFI. And maybe, the A8H is a 2020 lg OLED panel not a 2019 but that's splitting hairs really. If I had to choose between a 65 A9g or 65 A8h. I'd go for the A8h. The extra immersion of a 77 is hard to describe. You just can't make up for it. Most people just can't justify the extra expense from a 65 to 77. If gaming isn't a concern, go for the 77 A9g and never think about it again.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
For anyone who has an insider subscription from rtings the preliminary measurements for the Sony A8H are available. Well, I guess if you are an insider you probably got a notification.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Will Sony bring the improved motion as firmware update to the A9G? Or does the A8H have a true hardware upgrade from the A9G?
I believe it requires an updated TCON interface (hardware), so no.

What I'm curious about is if the A9G and other 2019 panels secretly have this? Last year the LG C9 was demoed with 120hz BFI, and I believe the first units shipped out to VE with pre-release FW also had 120hz BFI. Then with the first official FW the 120hz BFI was gone. We never got a clear answer as to what happened there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I believe it requires an updated TCON interface (hardware), so no.

What I'm curious about is if the A9G and other 2019 panels secretly have this? Last year the LG C9 was demoed with 120hz BFI, and I believe the first units shipped out to VE with pre-release FW also had 120hz BFI. Then with the first official FW the 120hz BFI was gone. We never got a clear answer as to what happened there.
You don't need an updated hardware.
The BFI on oleds right now is duty cycle so its basically shutting off the pixels in the scrolling zone for 50% , 70% for low/mid of time
Any TCON can do that.... but they did a cash grab by pulling it further in time
I believe the 2019 models had 2 TCONs to be able to do a dual cycle refresh of the panel at 240 - no idea about the CX don't really want to open mine to check

LG's excuse for removing Low/Mid BFI on the 2019 series was because it couldn't handle the fix for chrominance overshoot ( pixel flashing ) - but thats just a stupid excuse and everyone says its because Sony wasn't ready

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would any 55" owners please confirm that the small blue square on the right of the bottom bezel is a tab at the end of a removable protective clear plastic sheet that covers the entire bottom bezel including the IR sensor and Sony logo? What seems to be the tab doesn't lift off easily and I don't want to force anything that I'll regret. Sony support says that there is no tab, no blue square, and no protective sheeting. Thanks. Much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Would any 55" owners please confirm that the small blue square on the right of the bottom bezel is a tab at the end of a removable protective clear plastic sheet that covers the entire bottom bezel including the IR sensor and Sony logo? What seems to be the tab doesn't lift off easily and I don't want to force anything that I'll regret. Sony support says that there is no tab, no blue square, and no protective sheeting. Thanks. Much appreciated.

That is a sticker that is a tab for protective sheeting , when I had my A9G it was the same on my set .

77CX YTTV AppleTv 4K Sony X800M2 Yamaha V685

Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
277 Posts
Scratch on screen

After enjoying my first 55A8H that I received last month, I decided to purchase another for my bedroom. Unfortunately, this one has a small horizontal scratch roughly 2" long in the top-left section of the display. I didn't notice it until after the TV was mounted to the wall and I was carefully looking over the screen to remove any fingerprints left from installing it.

It is only noticeable with certain content (light solid colors) when standing close to the TV. However, I admit that I cannot see this blemish from my 'seating' position in bed, even when I'm looking for it. Therefore, I'm debating whether or not to go through the hassle of a return. The panel is fine otherwise with no uniformity issues. I realize I run the risk of getting another panel that is worse in a different way or has other damage, and by then I'm too far down the hole to stop until I get a good panel.

I did contact the store from where I bought it and it was recommended that I do an exchange for a new TV. It was mentioned that this damage "could be an issue for the LCD screen :rolleyes: and it would not be covered under the manufacturer's warranty". When I asked about a credit instead of an exchange, I was offered a 10% discount.

I realize the decision is mine, but I wanted to get some feedback from others here. I never imagined this scratch would be anything more than a cosmetic nuisance, is that correct? If this could eventually cause some sort of problem down the road, though I don't see how, I'll obviously go through with the exchange. However, I'm not looking forwarding to coordinating another pickup/delivery date and assistance to uninstall/reinstall another TV given my work schedule. Since I cannot notice the scratch at my viewing distance and despite the fact it's frustrating I have this damage on a brand new TV that costs this much, I'm leaning towards the extra discount and being done with it. I did my best to capture the scratch with the attached pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
That is a sticker that is a tab for protective sheeting , when I had my A9G it was the same on my set .

77CX YTTV AppleTv 4K Sony X800M2 Yamaha V685

Yes, definitely looks like the standard protective plastic wrap. Sony support is generally clueless.

1081 - 1100 of 1269 Posts