AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1276 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
After enjoying my first 55A8H that I received last month, I decided to purchase another for my bedroom. Unfortunately, this one has a small horizontal scratch roughly 2" long in the top-left section of the display. I didn't notice it until after the TV was mounted to the wall and I was carefully looking over the screen to remove any fingerprints left from installing it.
My first thought was, since the screen is the speaker, is there any chance the scratch could turn into a crack sometime in the future due to the vibrations. If it were mine, I would be replacing the set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
D-nice how can I remove the volume display on the A8h? its connected to a av through earc but its annoying watching both volume display out of sync, my lg OLED only didn't do that. also I used your settings on the first page for custom profiles, I'm noticing its automatically switching to correct sd, hd and dolby vision bright settings.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You don't need an updated hardware.
The BFI on oleds right now is duty cycle so its basically shutting off the pixels in the scrolling zone for 50% , 70% for low/mid of time
Any TCON can do that.... but they did a cash grab by pulling it further in time
I believe the 2019 models had 2 TCONs to be able to do a dual cycle refresh of the panel at 240 - no idea about the CX don't really want to open mine to check

LG's excuse for removing Low/Mid BFI on the 2019 series was because it couldn't handle the fix for chrominance overshoot ( pixel flashing ) - but thats just a stupid excuse and everyone says its because Sony wasn't ready
Do you know this for fact or is it speculation?

·
Registered
162 Posts
@Metalex @ScottFern @ldb91

The A8H's is 4:4 pull down 96hz. That fixes the judder.

Smoothness 1 fixes only some 24p issues like some types of panning shots. Doesn't fix the high contrast OLED stutter between objects or some head movement on a person filmed with the wrong shutter. It still produces some ringing artefacts when text that is different than white is displayed during a panning shot top to bottom for example.

Its not awesome ... its nothing new - Sony had it for a long time and its the exact same motion algorithm. Almost any other brand caught up to Sony's Smoothness 1 - for example LG and Panasonic.
X-Motion Clarity ( Sony's BFI ) runs again in 4:4 pull down 96hz. In HDR on 1 it losses ~120nits , on 2 it looses ~250nits . It looses the least vs LG And Panasonic. Its definitely watchable if you are willing to sacrifice some brightness.

PS The new smoothness 1 on the faster MT5985 ( S900 ) thats included in the X900H is a lot better and there are 0 artefacts and it looks awesome. Unfortunately the X900H is LED and the quality of the panel is nothing compared to an OLED. Can't wait for Sony to include that CPU in their next gen OLED.

Does that mean that SOE is also improved with the new media tek chip? Is it smoother and with less artefacts, can you please test it at max smoothness.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
After enjoying my first 55A8H that I received last month, I decided to purchase another for my bedroom. Unfortunately, this one has a small horizontal scratch roughly 2" long in the top-left section of the display. I didn't notice it until after the TV was mounted to the wall and I was carefully looking over the screen to remove any fingerprints left from installing it.

It is only noticeable with certain content (light solid colors) when standing close to the TV. However, I admit that I cannot see this blemish from my 'seating' position in bed, even when I'm looking for it. Therefore, I'm debating whether or not to go through the hassle of a return. The panel is fine otherwise with no uniformity issues. I realize I run the risk of getting another panel that is worse in a different way or has other damage, and by then I'm too far down the hole to stop until I get a good panel.

I did contact the store from where I bought it and it was recommended that I do an exchange for a new TV. It was mentioned that this damage "could be an issue for the LCD screen :rolleyes: and it would not be covered under the manufacturer's warranty". When I asked about a credit instead of an exchange, I was offered a 10% discount.

I realize the decision is mine, but I wanted to get some feedback from others here. I never imagined this scratch would be anything more than a cosmetic nuisance, is that correct? If this could eventually cause some sort of problem down the road, though I don't see how, I'll obviously go through with the exchange. However, I'm not looking forwarding to coordinating another pickup/delivery date and assistance to uninstall/reinstall another TV given my work schedule. Since I cannot notice the scratch at my viewing distance and despite the fact it's frustrating I have this damage on a brand new TV that costs this much, I'm leaning towards the extra discount and being done with it. I did my best to capture the scratch with the attached pictures.
That looks like a crack to me. I would definitely exchange it.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I would send it back jack.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does that mean that SOE is also improved with the new media tek chip? Is it smoother and with less artefacts, can you please test it at max smoothness.
Max smoothness is not the same as on the X1 so there is no direct comparison unfortuantely. Its less smooth and a lot less artefacts

·
Registered
280 Posts
My first thought was, since the screen is the speaker, is there any chance the scratch could turn into a crack sometime in the future due to the vibrations. If it were mine, I would be replacing the set.
I appreciate all of the advice. I hadn't considered this fact, so I am going through with the exchange process.

Reactions: RWetmore

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well, i finally got my 65A8H. Was worried about the panel lottery, but i won. Really nice, even better than the A1E it replaced, which was excellent to begin with. Im amazed at how much better andoid os is on the A8H. Sure, android 8 was a nice improvement on the A1E, but I'm really liking android on the A8H.

Edit. Wow! Dolby vision on this thing is nuts. I cant believe how great it looks.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Well, i finally got my 65A8H. Was worried about the panel lottery, but i won. Really nice, even better than the A1E it replaced, which was excellent to begin with. Im amazed at how much better andoid os is on the A8H. Sure, android 8 was a nice improvement on the A1E, but I'm really liking android on the A8H.

Edit. Wow! Dolby vision on this thing is nuts. I cant believe how great it looks.
Thanks for the honest and very positive feedback on your new toy ! CONGRATULATIONS !!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Trying to clean up the digital noise on my directv. Is it a bad thing to turn on random noise reduction, and/or digital noise reduction?

·
Vendor
26,667 Posts
I am considering purchasing an OLED. I am considering the A8H 65", Sony Master Series 77", or the LG CX 77". I am really leaning towards the Sony 77" Master. Is there a reason to purchase the A8H oppose to the 77" alternatives. The Sony Master is where I am leaning. The size and quality being the reason. Any reason, I should go with the A8H over either of the 77" sizes.

Thanks for any thoughts.
There is no reason to buy the smaller set I feel. I know the biggest reason not to buy the 65" is The # 1 reason for buyers remorse is not picture quality, it is size.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The numbers are crazy good compared to previous Sony oleds. Especially the hdr sustained brightness numbers are literally double.
The hdr sustained brightness numbers are similar to what the Sony A1E used to have before they introduced the "dimming feature" with the Dolby Vision update.

This does settle it for me though. It looks like it is time for me to replace my A1E with an A8H and avoid updating the firmware.

Reactions: sd13
1101 - 1120 of 1276 Posts