AVS Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 2379 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I recommend putting the cost of the Geek Squad calibration toward having a professional calibrator come and do your display.
Agreed the problem with the Geek Squad is they only spend 90 minutes and for a Sony, i guess you can do some sort of autocal in 90 minutes but with an LG you need several hours and they are not going to do a 3DLUT calibration. They just do the basics.

Reactions: Keenan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agreed the problem with the Geek Squad is they only spend 90 minutes and for a Sony, i guess you can do some sort of autocal in 90 minutes but with an LG you need several hours and they are not going to do a 3DLUT calibration. They just do the basics.
You cant do 3dlut with a sony...what is the proper way to do the new sony OLED's?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
You cant do 3dlut with a sony...what is the proper way to do the new sony OLED's?
You can calibrate them manually, with CalMan Autocal or some combination of the two or you can add a LUT box to the Sony and use LightSpace or ColorSpace to create a LUT.

PM D-Nice, he has all the info and experience with an external LUT box on a Sony.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
I had a completely different black screen issue last night. I'm leery of using the full stop after my last experience of exiting the internal apps that way, so I did my usual TV button on the remote to get me back to satellite, and got the black screen without the Bravia logo. Unplugging the TV did not work. Turning it off did not work. The only way out of it was by turning off my entire audio system, which included the TV, and restarting.

I got the black screen with the Bravo logo this morning after exiting the apps. Instead of turning off the TV and restarting as I usually do, I turned off my receiver and eliminated it that way.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had a completely different black screen issue last night. I'm leery of using the full stop after my last experience of exiting the internal apps that way, so I did my usual TV button on the remote to get me back to satellite, and got the black screen without the Bravia logo. Unplugging the TV did not work. Turning it off did not work. The only way out of it was by turning off my entire audio system, which included the TV, and restarting.

I got the black screen with the Bravo logo this morning after exiting the apps. Instead of turning off the TV and restarting as I usually do, I turned off my receiver and eliminated it that way.
Try the force stop next time. Not sure why you had issues last time, but i do it whenever i have an issue with an app on android. All it does is completely stop that particular app.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am debating between the A9G and the A8H. Looking over the rtings.com comparison I saw that the A8H exhibited some temporary image retention. Still good overall but wondering if some A8H ownerrs could comment on whether they are seeing anything in real world usage?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I am debating between the A9G and the A8H. Looking over the rtings.com comparison I saw that the A8H exhibited some temporary image retention. Still good overall but wondering if some A8H ownerrs could comment on whether they are seeing anything in real world usage?
Getting close to 700 hours on mine and no IR seen.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks 12B4A. Just to make sure I am not talking about burn in but temporary image retention. So over 700 hours you have not really seen any temporary image retention?
I get ir. Not a big deal though, goes away almost immediately.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello, I want to calibrate the Sony a8 TV according to the method recommended by Sony "judd" and maybe you can help me understand something how to make the setting in calman. Should the white change be made in the cie1931 formula or in Judd-Voss? So far the lg I had I calibrated with cie170 / 2 csuti scananda and d65 and it looked very good for my eyes.But the Sony îs to yallow for my preference.
Have a nice day!

Attachments

·
Registered
18,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,234

·
Registered
605 Posts
New video up 1 hour ago. Might help someone make a decision on upgrading from Plasma to OLED. I am in that category.
Ha, I was just about to post this here.

It's an interesting video. Regarding motion, I don't think OLED can claim to equal plasma motion if you have to combine BFI with motion interpolation. Plasma motion is so good because of its inherently low image persistence, which is around 2 ms. Previous OLEDs with 60hz BFI achieve 8 ms persistence. I believe this year on the max setting it goes down to 4 ms using 60hz BFI, but that wasn't shown in this video.

Beyond that though, plasma has been thoroughly surpassed by OLED. If nothing else you can actually use it outside of a dark room. In the video you can see just how washed out the ZT60 looks when you merely open the blinds in a normal living room. And keep in mind, the ZT was the "blackest" plasma ever made in terms of its screen coating. OLED panels are just pitch black no matter where you put them. That is a big deal.

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
I'm actually sick of the comparison between plasma and OLED. I was a HUGE plasma fanboy, but haven't looked back since my 1st OLED. Its seriously ridiculous comparing them at this point.
Vincent seems to have made the video to firmly draw a line under it, and said it'll be the last time a plasma features in one of his videos. I wasn't even aware of the "green trailing" problems since all I've ever read on here is that plasmas were perfect etc ;)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The continuing comparison between OLEDs and plasma seven years after the last plasma was produced is a testament to the quality of the Kuro and late-model Panasonics. I still have my GT50 in my bedroom and it excels in that role. Although it cannot match my A9G in several respects, I see it as having no significant flaws in terms of picture quality and it is still my preferred display for watching sports.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm actually sick of the comparison between plasma and OLED. I was a HUGE plasma fanboy, but haven't looked back since my 1st OLED. Its seriously ridiculous comparing them at this point.
My Kuro KRP 500M calibrated by D Nice doesn't like you. :)

1221 - 1240 of 2379 Posts