AVS Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 2094 Posts

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Vincent seems to have made the video to firmly draw a line under it, and said it'll be the last time a plasma features in one of his videos. I wasn't even aware of the "green trailing" problems since all I've ever read on here is that plasmas were perfect etc ;)
It was an interesting video but what difference does it make if you can't buy a plasma TV any more?

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Not every video has to "make a difference"; for me just the fact that it is interesting is enough for it to be worthwhile ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
@jrref I know that before getting my A8H last month, I had definitely entertained the idea of finding a cheap 2nd hand plasma locally as I was craving better contrast and motion performance on sports/high framerate content than my cheap TCL LCD. I'm glad I didn't now because basically, the mythos around/relative rarity of something like a late model Panasonic or Pioneer plasma has inflated their average asking price to the point far beyond what anyone should consider paying for a 7+ year old TV, and the detailed side by side comparison really drives it home that yes, the newest displays ARE outright superior and the better long-term investment, point blank period. As someone who never owned a plasma, and finds myself sometimes craving just a bit more brightness out of the OLED, it was pretty shocking to have it laid bare just how much dimmer any plasma would have been, and that's even vs. the way I run my TV where I always have BFI turned onto 2.

To be fair, my A8H came out to 2900CAD all-in, and even the $750CAD VT60 someone near me is selling is not even in the same category price-wise, but even $750 can buy you a brand new set that will be much stronger than the VT60 in a number of ways (save for black level, native motion performance etc) and have zero wear on it.

I do find it amusing how hard (albeit with a calm delivery) this message is driven home in this video - I'm a member of a CRT discussion group on FB and there are no shortage of people who kind of hang onto the idea of the CRT, HDCRT's even as something that was kind of foolishly moved away from too soon, or something that still has relevance for modern content, holds it's own against modern displays etc. Most people (myself included) understand that the reasons why they still have them/prefer them for certain applications etc are 99% rooted in pure aesthetic preference, a subjective trait, but every now and then people still need to be reminded of the myriad reasons why the CRT was abandoned and why that generally speaking was only a positive thing. This video to me kind of falls in that category of removing the rose colored nostalgia goggles, though he does it with respect and makes it clear that at the end of the day, if your 2 eyes like the image on the screen better, then for you, it's better.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I got a Pioneer Kuro 5090H (US 5020FD) for 150 Euros including delivery.. It is stunning..

After Plasma Oled is the logical upgrade. Because of my Panasonic Plasma past and experience I would upgrade at least to an entry level 2020 Panasonic Oled, and they start at 2000 Euros.. The 48Sony is a bit cheaper and would be a 100% option too..

Last gen Panasonic Plasmas are in comparison to the Kuros expensive.. If you want a cheap Plasma TV, the one, two year older models, those are the real value options.. But black levels are nothing like Oled..

It all depends on your viewing content.. For cable TV, TV Series, Blu Rays etc.. a Plasma is fine and amazing.. Not everyone needs the 4k upgrade..

As a Plasma fanboy I am glad that Oled exists.. And i am happy for every happy owner..

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm just glad OLED doesn't suffer from the flicker that the later Panasonic models had. It was interesting to see Vincent mention it in the video since I wasn't sure how many people could see it but it made my VT60 a less than satisfying viewing experience and ended up being the reason I got rid of it after short period of ownership. Was so disappointed coming from a TH-50PHD7UY that was a great display.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am debating between the A9G and the A8H. Looking over the rtings.com comparison I saw that the A8H exhibited some temporary image retention. Still good overall but wondering if some A8H ownerrs could comment on whether they are seeing anything in real world usage?
It’s no worse than my B6 or A1E was. Goes away as soon as there’s motion. Or you can wait for it per the chart above I’m guessing. I haven’t timed it. Non issue for me. The difference in brightness between the A8H and A9G is what sold me. I had it down to those two models.

Reactions: WOLVERNOLE

·
Registered
34 Posts
It’s no worse than my B6 or A1E was. Goes away as soon as there’s motion. Or you can wait for it per the chart above I’m guessing. I haven’t timed it. Non issue for me. The difference in brightness between the A8H and A9G is what sold me. I had it down to those two models.
Thanks PaulDuBious. I think I will just go with the A8H and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
So the are you saying that the A8H is noticeably brighter than the A9G ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
So the are you saying that the A8H is noticeably brighter than the A9G ?
I can’t say it’s noticeably better than the AG9 in person, as I don’t own one. But that is reflected per RTING’s comparison. I can say it’s noticeably brighter than my A1E though. I think the A1E was nerfed with an aggressive ABL after the Dolby Vision update, if I remember right.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Brightness significantly changes from tv to tv, so just comparing 2 TVs then it will be just random which is brighter. Comparing 2 other sets may find the AG brighter than than the AH

·
Registered
15,286 Posts
The calibrators here have stated the A9G and A8H have basically the same PQ. The major advantage of the A8H is with BFI, which makes motion handling slightly better. Unless you want the 77" size, only available with the A9G, there is really no reason to get the A9G over the A8H.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unless you want the 77" size, only available with the A9G, there is really no reason to get the A9G over the A8H.
I know this will sound crazy, but I chose the A9G over the A8H because I really wanted the pedestal base rather than the really wide legs. The furniture on which my TV sits will work with the pedestal base but is not wide enough for the legs on the A8H (or most other TVs).

·
Vendor
27,405 Posts
I know that before getting my A8H last month, I had definitely entertained the idea of finding a cheap 2nd hand plasma locally as I was craving better contrast and motion performance on sports/high framerate content than my cheap TCL LCD.
Thats the crazy thing, even the cheap old plasma's that sold for $300 or $400 where amazing TV's. I don't think there was such a thing as a junky plasma, but hold smokes are there some junky LED's......

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I know this will sound crazy, but I chose the A9G over the A8H because I really wanted the pedestal base rather than the really wide legs. The furniture on which my TV sits will work with the pedestal base but is not wide enough for the legs on the A8H (or most other TVs).
Makes perfect sense. Aesthetically I much prefer the pedestal !

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thats the crazy thing, even the cheap old plasma's that sold for $300 or $400 where amazing TV's. I don't think there was such a thing as a junky plasma, but hold smokes are there some junky LED's......
Except the ones where the image size collapsed by 30% when anything bright appeared on the screen due to poor psu regulation you mean? Samsung ones were very bad for that if I recall correctly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys little help/advice needed. Recently purchased one of these beauts, i have read burn in should be somewhere around 150-200 hrs is that on 'Standard' picture mode?
Once then can i just calibrate with those mentioned settings?
Also on my Sony i see 10p settings, i can only adjust Point 1
it does not show the following 'Points 2-10" on my Sony ????
where do i insert these settings below???

Point 2

Point 3

Point 4

Point 5

Point 6

Point 7

Point 8

Point 9

Point 10

Per Color Adjustment:
Red:
Hue: 0
Saturation: -1
Lightness: -1

Magenta:
Hue: -1
Saturation: -1

Blue:
Hue: 0
Saturation: 0

Cyan:
Hue: -3
Saturation: -2
Lightness: 0

Green:
Hue: -2
Lightness: 0

Yellow:
Hue: -1
Lightness: 1

·
Registered
18,478 Posts
The calibrators here have stated the A9G and A8H have basically the same PQ. The major advantage of the A8H is with BFI, which makes motion handling slightly better. Unless you want the 77" size, only available with the A9G, there is really no reason to get the A9G over the A8H.
Or you want the Q/C that the Master Series gets.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Also on my Sony i see 10p settings, i can only adjust Point 1
it does not show the following 'Points 2-10" on my Sony ????
where do i insert these settings below???
Color gamma adjustment points. You'll see a blue > above the adjustments. Use your remote > to toggle through them.

1241 - 1260 of 2094 Posts