AVS Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 2271 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The light sensor is being touted as a new feature on the 2020 models. How does this feature differ from the light sensor found on the Sony sets prior to this year?

·
Registered
10,331 Posts
Thank you my Alien friend, also regarding burn in shall i just leave on standard for next 160 hours of use?
Don't you mean break-in vs burn-in? The first 200 hours is needed before you have the TV calibrated. You can use any mode you wish, but most use D-Nice's Custom mode recommendation.

·
Vendor
27,484 Posts
I know this will sound crazy, but I chose the A9G over the A8H because I really wanted the pedestal base rather than the really wide legs. The furniture on which my TV sits will work with the pedestal base but is not wide enough for the legs on the A8H (or most other TVs).
There is no wrong answer. Your cash, buy what you like :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Are most here using D-Nice's advanced color temperature settings? I thought I recall reading that those settings are not quite universal and are more panel-specific.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can anyone comment on how/if burn in is still a problem with these newer sets? I have a 2016 LG E-series with very bad burn in and I'm worried about buying another OLED. LG is luckily giving me a $1200 refund even though its out of warranty, so I can look at replacing it. We have a Sony LED in the bedroom that looks great, but the blacks just aren't there compared to OLED.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Are most here using D-Nice's advanced color temperature settings? I thought I recall reading that those settings are not quite universal and are more panel-specific.
As D-Nice himself has posted, his settings are an improvement over the way it comes OOTB, but are not a substitute for a professional calibration.

"If you use the 77” settings I posted, yes they will improve color. My setting are not a substitute for a calibration, they are simply better than anything you get OOTB. Look at them as a try before you buy type of deal. If you like the results after you use them, then you will love a real calibration.... as long as the calibrator knows what they are doing."

·
Registered
657 Posts
Can anyone comment on how/if burn in is still a problem with these newer sets? I have a 2016 LG E-series with very bad burn in and I'm worried about buying another OLED. LG is luckily giving me a $1200 refund even though its out of warranty, so I can look at replacing it. We have a Sony LED in the bedroom that looks great, but the blacks just aren't there compared to OLED.
IDK about the a8h, but my a1e with 9000 hours had ZERO burn in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
t
This is anoying me too. I've connected the TV via optical cable to my Sonos Playbar (original not ARC). Then in Settings, Display & Sound, Audio Output, Speakers, I've set it to Audio system which correctly mutes the TV's internal speaker. It appears the A8 remote is bluetooth only so I can't program the Sonos to use it. However, my existing TiVo remote was 'taught' to use my old Sony W805 TV volume codes. Now, pressing it's up/down makes the Sonos go loud/quiet as expected, but I also get the TV's own volume indicator appearing on-screen (which of course does nothing useful now and gets out of sync).

Anyone know if this indication can be turned off since its not a true indication of volume level anymore?
today I connected my dvr remote to my Yamaha av and didn't get the Sony volume indicater, I guess the issue is with the Sony remote controlling the tv and av volume.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The good news is that the audio drop out issues I had on the a9g are not present on the A8h. The bad news is, earc is having the same issues if I’m using a Verizon FiOS cable box. I’m getting the same Sony Bravia logo and black screen randomly when I’m on earc like i did on my a9g. When I called Sony regarding this issue on my a9g they told me it’s my receiver, but I tried two different earc receivers and an earc soundbar and I’m getting the same random black screen and Bravia logo. When will Sony stop shifting blame on external components and get this issue fixed I wonder.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The good news is that the audio drop out issues I had on the a9g are not present on the A8h. The bad news is, earc is having the same issues if I’m using a Verizon FiOS cable box. I’m getting the same Sony Bravia logo and black screen randomly when I’m on earc like i did on my a9g. When I called Sony regarding this issue on my a9g they told me it’s my receiver, but I tried two different earc receivers and an earc soundbar and I’m getting the same random black screen and Bravia logo. When will Sony stop shifting blame on external components and get this issue fixed I wonder.
Hi, How would you compare the A8H to your A9G? Do you feel the picture quality is at par with the A9G? I’m really trying to get one of the two, but don’t see any direct comparison videos on YouTube. Would appreciate your inputs. Thanks in advance and congratulations on the new tv.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Hi, How would you compare the A8H to your A9G? Do you feel the picture quality is at par with the A9G? I’m really trying to get one of the two, but don’t see any direct comparison videos on YouTube. Would appreciate your inputs. Thanks in advance and congratulations on the new tv.
As far as picture quality goes, they are very similar. However I do notice less of a red push and tinting out of the box and the increased color volume on the a8h. Also noticed that sdr is a little brighter especially in sports there is less asbl where the screen dims down a bit when playing a continuous sporting event without any breaks in the action. The screen of the a8h is much more uniform but that could be panel lottery. Near blacks and macroblocking are handled alot better this year. Motion is better thanks to XMC, even though the returns are diminishing since the a9g doesn't have any motion real motion blur. I'm not super sensitive to motion, but those that are will find the new XMC to be a welcome addition. Build quality goes to the a9g easily. Much better looking design IMHO on the a9g. The a8h looks like they cut corners especially on the back of the set where it's thicker and doesn't have cable management. I'm not feeling the duck feet either. They also took away the signature Sony LCD light on the bottom of the screen making the tv look more generic.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As far as picture quality goes, they are very similar. However I do notice less of a red push and tinting out of the box and the increased color volume on the a8h. Also noticed that sdr is a little brighter especially in sports there is less asbl where the screen dims down a bit when playing a continuous sporting event without any breaks in the action. The screen of the a8h is much more uniform but that could be panel lottery. Near blacks and macroblocking are handled alot better this year. Motion is better thanks to XMC, even though the returns are diminishing since the a9g doesn't have any motion real motion blur. I'm not super sensitive to motion, but those that are will find the new XMC to be a welcome addition. Build quality goes to the a9g easily. Much better looking design IMHO on the a9g. The a8h looks like they cut corners especially on the back of the set where it's thicker and doesn't have cable management. I'm not feeling the duck feet either. They also took away the signature Sony LCD light on the bottom of the screen making the tv look more generic.
Thank you so much. This is by far the most comprehensive, objective and conclusive feedback I have encountered so far. This is exactly what I was looking for. Need to consider making this a permanent sticky for those on the fence. :)

Most of the other fleeting reviews I came across online, were essentially clouded in extreme ambiguity. Lol. I think this feedback is quite decisive and will surely steer me towards the A8H. I was about to pull the trigger on the A9G through Bestbuy.

Thanks again.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yeah at this point i think the only reason to buy an A9G is because of the 48”/77” size exclusivity.

Reactions: sd13

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Thank you so much. This is by far the most comprehensive, objective and conclusive feedback I have encountered so far. This is exactly what I was looking for. Need to consider making this a permanent sticky for those on the fence. :)

Most of the other fleeting reviews I came across online, were essentially clouded in extreme ambiguity. Lol. I think this feedback is quite decisive and will surely steer me towards the A8H. I was about to pull the trigger on the A9G through Bestbuy.

Thanks again.

Cheers!!
The only reason I can think of to get the a9g over the a8h is if the onboard sound quality, design and build quality, thickness, or the center channel speaker support feature matters to you. There is not a single area of pq where the a9g has an edge over the a8h. Oh and don't fall for "master series are better tuned out of the box from the factory". Totally not true. Out of the box, my a8h is just as accurate, if not more accurate than my a9g was. I've compared both TVs to my calibrated CX (not at the same time) using ootb custom mode the a8h has the slight edge over the a9g.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Quick question on the legs of the a8h. Do the feet.lay flat or do they raise up like an easel. I need them flat to put on a 9 1/2” shelf.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The only reason I can think of to get the a9g over the a8h is if the onboard sound quality, design and build quality, thickness, or the center channel speaker support feature matters to you. There is not a single area of pq where the a9g has an edge over the a8h. Oh and don't fall for "master series are better tuned out of the box from the factory". Totally not true. Out of the box, my a8h is just as accurate, if not more accurate than my a9g was. I've compared both TVs to my calibrated CX (not at the same time) using ootb custom mode the a8h has the slight edge over the a9g.
Went to Bestbuy earlier today, used their curbside service and picked up the A8H in 55” which was apparently the last one they had in stock. This will be paired with my Panasonic 820.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Thanks for the info but hard to tell if they rise to a peak in the center or sit flush to the cabinet they sit on I need them flat.

1261 - 1280 of 2271 Posts