AVS Forum banner

1701 - 1720 of 2287 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Some interesting finding I have made:

I received a Sony A89 as a replacement for my LG CX, which an obvious magenta tint. So I had the chance to compare them side by side before sending the LG back. Comparing Dolby Vision via the internal apps, the Sony was actually slightly brighter when both sets were set to DV Dark. That’s extremely surprising since that was definitely not the case with the A9G on firmware 4.770 which I had. I then used the fire tv stick 4K on the Sony and the LG’s internal app...and the Sony was still slightly brighter, even though they were both unsing DV dark.

No idea how that is possible, but I’m surprised. I can upload some short videos if desired.

On the other hand, upscaling of sub-4K somehow looked slightly sharper on the LG, which came as an even bigger surprise to me. But then the LG had terrible factory calibration (too much green and measured gamma at least 2.6 in the darker regions, even with BFI turned off). So maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me (I couldn’t get the LG to display smooth transitions from bright to black or vice versa, even after calibration).

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Some interesting finding I have made:

I received a Sony A89 as a replacement for my LG CX, which an obvious magenta tint. So I had the chance to compare them side by side before sending the LG back. Comparing Dolby Vision via the internal apps, the Sony was actually slightly brighter when both sets were set to DV Dark. That’s extremely surprising since that was definitely not the case with the A9G on firmware 4.770 which I had. I then used the fire tv stick 4K on the Sony and the LG’s internal app...and the Sony was still slightly brighter, even though they were both unsing DV dark.

No idea how that is possible, but I’m surprised. I can upload some short videos if desired.

On the other hand, upscaling of sub-4K somehow looked slightly sharper on the LG, which came as an even bigger surprise to me. But then the LG had terrible factory calibration (too much green and measured gamma at least 2.6 in the darker regions, even with BFI turned off). So maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me (I couldn’t get the LG to display smooth transitions from bright to black or vice versa, even after calibration).
Your eyes are definitely not playing tricks on you. "Sony dim DV" and "lg inferior upscaling" are both a thing of the past. I own both and my findings are similar to yours. Even professional TV reviewers agree that DV is no longer dim on the Sony.

Here is a translated portion of a Spanish a8h review.
"If last year we commented that the image with calibrated Dolby Vision (Dark) was too dark than the competition, we are glad to have verified that in 2020 it has been 100% solved , both with internal apps such as Netflix and using dedicated HDMI players ; in our case we have tested content with both a Shield TV and an Oppo 203 and compared to an LG C9 and the result is identical in terms of brightness level of the scene . Another point for Sony with its A8. Of course, remember that to use the most correct factory mode, you have to set the modeDolby Vision Dark when we use internal apps (Netflix, Prime, etc.) and Dolby Vision Bright when we use players connected by HDMI . "

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Your eyes are definitely not playing tricks on you. "Sony dim DV" and "lg inferior upscaling" are both a thing of the past. I own both and my findings are similar to yours. Even professional TV reviewers agree that DV is no longer dim on the Sony.

Here is a translated portion of a Spanish a8h review.
"If last year we commented that the image with calibrated Dolby Vision (Dark) was too dark than the competition, we are glad to have verified that in 2020 it has been 100% solved , both with internal apps such as Netflix and using dedicated HDMI players ; in our case we have tested content with both a Shield TV and an Oppo 203 and compared to an LG C9 and the result is identical in terms of brightness level of the scene . Another point for Sony with its A8. Of course, remember that to use the most correct factory mode, you have to set the modeDolby Vision Dark when we use internal apps (Netflix, Prime, etc.) and Dolby Vision Bright when we use players connected by HDMI . "

I have also watched that review. What I don’t understand is why, even externally, DV dark via the fire TV on the Sony stick is basically as bright as DV dark internally (and easily a match for DV dark internally on the LG). According to Dnice’s findings that shouldn’t be the case and DV dark via the Fire TV stick 4K was indeed darker than internal DV playback (let alone DV on the LG) on my A9F and A9G.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I have a XBR-850C and only 2 of the 4 HDMI ports are 4k compatible. Are all HDMI ports 4k compatible on this particular model?

·
Registered
18,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,706
I have also watched that review. What I don’t understand is why, even externally, DV dark via the fire TV on the Sony stick is basically as bright as DV dark internally (and easily a match for DV dark internally on the LG). According to Dnice’s findings that shouldn’t be the case and DV dark via the Fire TV stick 4K was indeed darker than internal DV playback (let alone DV on the LG) on my A9F and A9G.
You may want to check the gamma setting on DV Dark and make sure it is not set above 0. Other than that, I do not know why DV Dark would equal DV Cinema on the LG’s internal app. Perhaps a bad cal on the LG?!?

·
Vendor
27,492 Posts
I don't think a break-in period means you can't use the TV as it is supposed to be used. I believe they just mean before you get it calibrated. I'm still debating getting my calibrated as I think the picture looks outstanding right now
OLED's do not need broken in with sides as you noted, just putting 200-300 hours of use.......

·
Registered
84 Posts
You may want to check the gamma setting on DV Dark and make sure it is not set above 0. Other than that, I do not know why DV Dark would equal DV Cinema on the LG’s internal app. Perhaps a bad cal on the LG?!?
Either that or the Sony’s panel ist just considerably brighter overall...Not only is the APL brighter, but also peak brightness with DV and HDR10 is much brighter than on the LG. Gamma is still set to 0 on the Sony. If I turn BFI to 1 on the Sony, it looks almost exactly like the LG (peak brightness and APL) if I use both internal apps with DV Dark/ Cinema. I might want to measure peak luminance 😎

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sony have a special offer to me to replace my Sony a9g (used for half a yr to a brand new a8h for free. Should I go for it? Which is a better tv thx

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Sony have a special offer to me to replace my Sony a9g (used for half a yr to a brand new a8h for free. Should I go for it? Which is a better tv thx
I had a defective a9g that was replaced with an a8h. Go with the a8h.

·
Registered
18 Posts
by no means am I an expert but it stands to reason that settings posted online by someone with a different TV (albeit the same model), will not be ideal for your setup. There are hundreds of components that could be different and there is no way to get calibrated color without an actual calibration. That being so, I have used these color settings on mine and changed a couple of motion/brightness settings to fit my own needs and absolutely LOVE the result. I think online settings will usually get you close. Certainly worth it considering it’s free!

regarding your second question, I am wondering the exact same thing. I wonder if there is a magic recipe because there are a lot of different options.
Thanks for the reply! Plugged the SDR settings in for Dish Network and the picture is fantastic! I upped peak luminance up to low and that’s the only change. Currently watching Miss St. vs. LSU on CBS and it is the best picture watching sport’s I think I’ve ever seen.

Does anyone ever use the light sensor option?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone here use BFI 1 at all when playing HDR content? All the experts seem to say don't use it at all in HDR but I've gotten so accustomed to always having it on 1-2 that I feel like I just notice the increase in blur with it off more than the hit in brightness with it on 1. Idk if there's any "right" way other than what looks best to the user, just curious to hear what others are doing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pls can you help me with activation "pro mode", the functions on the remote control don't work, and in the Sony tutorials it doesn't appear the same as in the menu of my TV. The TV is Sony 55a8h

·
Registered
70 Posts
I couldn't resist the instability of the operating system anymore and I did what I said a few pages ago that the manufacturers do ... More precisely, I updated the operating system and although it is much more stable, I discovered something I don't like and I it bothers a lot with this firmware. After the update, artifacts started to appear on the image, and when I use motion interpolation, the content doesn't matter, they look pretty ugly. I read that the same happened to other models, after the last update. Which leads me to draw an ugly conclusion about Sony. The problem mentioned above has something to do with film mode, which until now was sensational, and now some artifacts appear, if motion interpolation is activated. I fixed the problem a little bit by , deactivate it, but it's not like before. I also did a full reset, in vain ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a defective a9g that was replaced with an a8h. Go with the a8h.

I have a Sony a9g and I noticed that there is something wrong with the internal YouTube app.
there are jitters as the hockey player move around the screen. I called Sony and they confirmed that this is the same case for all the a9g with the same problem. The same jittering with all 4k content in YouTube. Also the sound drops randomly when playing 4k content and Sony conformed that too.... (Only for the the a9g model) it had already been 3 months now and they cannot come up with a solution. They offered me they can replace my a9g with the brand new a8h. I went to to a locate store and had them eye ball side by side With the identical settings .... the a8h does have the better motion better brightness , but the a8h had a more washed out color than the a9g which I loved about the a9g with the deeper color ... maybe the higher brightness of the a8h made the color more washed out imo. Given that the a9g is still the master serious in the oled line as of now... shall I stay with the a9g until the fix of the you tube problem or I should go ahead to replace it with the A8h instead? Pls give me some valuable advice pls and many thx

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The a8h does not have more washed out color than the a9g. What you are seeing is probably panel variance, or a settings mismatch.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Does anyone here use BFI 1 at all when playing HDR content? All the experts seem to say don't use it at all in HDR but I've gotten so accustomed to always having it on 1-2 that I feel like I just notice the increase in blur with it off more than the hit in brightness with it on 1. Idk if there's any "right" way other than what looks best to the user, just curious to hear what others are doing.
I use BFI for all content (equivalent to your BFI max). I don't care about the extra peak brightness in HDR/DV, it adds nothing IMO. Everything looks better with BFI, even with the flicker.

·
112 Posts
I just unboxed my new A8h and saw what looks like is damage to anti-reflective coating, or a smudge with lots of fingerprints.
Its about an inch long at the lower middle of the screen.

I purchased a 5 year warranty and still am in the exchange period. If I exchange it for a new one, I'm not sure if I would loose the 5 year warranty.
I don't know what it is and if running the tv heated will make it worse over time.
Should I return the TV? P1010515_resize_cropped.jpg P1010474_resize.jpg P1010493_resize.jpg P1010507_resize.jpg

·
Registered
177 Posts
Purchased a new A8H this weekend; it's replacing our LG 65E6. Pleasantly surprised at the difference in pq. Watched a few shows, with only minor settings tweaks, and saw none of the usual issues and I could actually see details in the shadows!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just unboxed my new A8h and saw what looks like is damage to anti-reflective coating, or a smudge with lots of fingerprints.
Its about an inch long at the lower middle of the screen.

I purchased a 5 year warranty and still am in the exchange period. If I exchange it for a new one, I'm not sure if I would loose the 5 year warranty.
I don't know what it is and if running the tv heated will make it worse over time.
Should I return the TV? View attachment 3041245 View attachment 3041246 View attachment 3041247 View attachment 3041248
If this doesn’t wipe off with a microfiber cloth, I would definitely exchange it. I don’t know where you purchased your extended warranty, but generally speaking, you won’t void your warranty by exchanging within the return period. Probably worth verifying with your reseller before you take it back, but it would be unusual if the warranty even came into play at this point.

1701 - 1720 of 2287 Posts