AVS Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 3761 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
If I was looking at TVs now, I would hold off on the A8H. As I noted before ,I had my XBR65A8H for 1.5 months
and now I am having sound issues with the TV speakers and even an optical connected sound bar.

The distortion occurs while using OTA, TV apps and ATV and 4K Firestick. If I change channels and it will go way for around 10 seconds, then start again on the other games. I've unplugged the TV as per Sony website, but it still happens.

I called Sony, but have yet to get through (3 days now). I have also been unable to get through to their remote access support.

So recent A8H buyers, buyer beware of Lack of Support = Sony Support

·
Registered
546 Posts
I too took advantage of the sale for this great tv. One thing that I'm a little confused about is the metal blade stand. It's a bummer that the stand only raises the tv 3/4". I do notice however that there is a thin sony soundbar that will fit underneath it and to make it happen there is another metal blade stand. My question is does sony sell that other metal blade stand or can the one that comes with the tv be manipulated to raise the tv to 3 3/4"? I've looked everywhere online and I can't find any instructions on how to do so.

I'm also open to suggestions on possibly an aftermarket stand. I just need to raise the TV about 5" so I can put my center channel in front. Wall mounting isn't an option right now. Thanks!
The stand that comes with it can be set up in one of two positions. A low position or a higher one to accommodate a sound bar. In the high position, it will clear the Sony sound bars that are 2.5" high. The high position is definitely not 5" of clearance though. You can see the directions for the high position in the QSG.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
You can only access settings for the mode you are using. So to adjust DV settings, you have to be viewing something using DV. Same for HDR. View something HDR to access HDR settings.
Yes, I read that people are really annoyed by this, guess I better buy a couple blu-rays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
If I was looking at TVs now, I would hold off on the A8H. As I noted before ,I had my XBR65A8H for 1.5 months
and now I am having sound issues with the TV speakers and even an optical connected sound bar.

The distortion occurs while using OTA, TV apps and ATV and 4K Firestick. If I change channels and it will go way for around 10 seconds, then start again on the other games. I've unplugged the TV as per Sony website, but it still happens.

I called Sony, but have yet to get through (3 days now). I have also been unable to get through to their remote access support.

I read through this entire thread and you're the only one who has reported anything like this. It seems more like a isolated incident then a problem with the entire model line. Not sure it merits a "buyer beware" warning. I haven't had any issues with mine.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yes, I read that people are really annoyed by this, guess I better buy a couple blu-rays.
I haven't seen anyone say they were annoyed by it. It actually makes sense. How are going to make HDR or DV adjustments if you're not looking at HDR or DV content? If you already subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Disney+. There's no need to buy Blu-Rays just to set it up as you can access HDR and DV content from them. If not, Blu-rays it is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I read through this entire thread and you're the only one who has reported anything like this. It seems more like a isolated incident then a problem with the entire model line. Not sure it merits a "buyer beware" warning. I haven't had any issues with mine.
I did not have a issue until last weekend, so the first 1 1//2 months were bliss. If it was just OTA or a select other input connection one could isolate the issue. If it were you had you spent hours attempting to get
a real Sony service rep on the phone to no avail or on-line chats to get it straighten out and spend $2500 for it
I am sure you would be a little upset at Sony and their late of support.

PS: Others have had issues with sound on the forum and in Sony community where they had been told to simply unplug the TV to get the sound to work again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dunno who came up with trying to massage the TV but BS since never worked for me LOL and wouldn't risk damaging TV if it is still in warranty.
LG even post this info on their website but also immediately state they didn't come up with it or not liable for damage to TV if you try it LOL
The Pressure method: you can try applying pressure to the dead spot on your screen. Some users state that tapping it with your finger or using a soft cloth to apply pressure would fix the issue.
The Heat method: you can try applying heat to the dead spot on your screen. Some users state that using a hair dryer to apply heat to the dead spot would fix the issue.

I ended up doing an exchange at BB.. I get the new one on Wednesday next week (I also got them to price match the BB sale that happened this week haha). The dead pixels and vertical lines started to annoy me. So I figured I'd give it another shot..

Hopefully the replacement is better off. I'm not sure if BB will allow more than 1 exchange for a TV or not. So I'm hoping for the best!

·
Registered
Sony A8H - Yamaha RX-A2000 - Tekton Lore Reference w/Center - HSU surround - Funk Audio 18.0 sub
5 Posts
Can someone please comment on how this TV does on a bright room? I know that OLED can't get as bright as LCD.
The A8H does fantastic in my opinion!

However my previous TV was a plasma from 2009 so I was used to horrible bright room performance. I have absolutely ZERO complaints but I don’t enjoy “light cannon” TVs so you may want other opinions on top of mine :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't seen anyone say they were annoyed by it. It actually makes sense. How are going to make HDR or DV adjustments if you're not looking at HDR or DV content? If you already subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Disney+. There's no need to buy Blu-Rays just to set it up as you can access HDR and DV content from them. If not, Blu-rays it is.
I put in HDR content in my DVD player but I only seen the custom settings I had inputed for SDR. Does that mean I have to change the settings every time I view different formats or is there way to save each of the settings for SDR, HDR & Dolby Vision?

·
Registered
193 Posts
So far so good. Finally got audio return working. Needed a new HDMI cable. Got all the apps I was accustomed to on my Firestick on the A8h now. Still working on figuring out how to get the tv to launch to the earc input but I haven’t really tried yet.

Few issues, hdr content seems to be pretty dark. Using D-Nices settings. Seems like shadow details are almost too dark. Not sure if this is an oled inherent thing, but it doesn’t bother me much. Dolby vision seems way better in this regard. Also, seen some mentions of macroblocking in dark shadow scenes from some users. I haven’t seen any of that so far on my set.

Directv broadcasts still don’t look very good. Had some recommendations from a few users (thank you!) but my plasma did a better job on sports in particular. News broadcasts are very close, as well as regular tv shows. The sports thing is tough though.

That being said, It’s really awesome. I appreciate the brightness and clarity improvements over my plasma. The picture is just so damn sweet. The black levels are such a pleasant surprise. Bright scenes in dv or hdr are shocking to me, never having experienced them until I hung this set. Menu is super snappy. On board speakers are pretty good considering but I’ll always use my avr and speakers. Such a learning curve coming from an 8 year old tv!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I put in HDR content in my DVD player but I only seen the custom settings I had inputed for SDR. Does that mean I have to change the settings every time I view different formats or is there way to save each of the settings for SDR, HDR & Dolby Vision?
I’m no expert and am relatively new to the A8H myself so there’s certainly going to be someone here more qualified to answer you. What I can tell you though is that, if I, for example, play Mandalorian on Disney+ or Lost in Space on Netflix, the picture settings show the options for Dolby Vision bright or Dolby Vision dark. Whichever one I set it on is where it is next time I play that content. I don’t believe you need to set I up each and every time. Are you 100% sure the content you were playing back was HDR?

·
Vendor
27,986 Posts
I did not have a issue until last weekend, so the first 1 1//2 months were bliss. If it was just OTA or a select other input connection one could isolate the issue. If it were you had you spent hours attempting to get
a real Sony service rep on the phone to no avail or on-line chats to get it straighten out and spend $2500 for it
I am sure you would be a little upset at Sony and their late of support.

PS: Others have had issues with sound on the forum and in Sony community where they had been told to simply unplug the TV to get the sound to work again.
There are support issues across the boards from all manufacturer from time to time...... Stop in any TV thread and see for yourself.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m no expert and am relatively new to the A8H myself so there’s certainly going to be someone here more qualified to answer you. What I can tell you though is that, if I, for example, play Mandalorian on Disney+ or Lost in Space on Netflix, the picture settings show the options for Dolby Vision bright or Dolby Vision dark. Whichever one I set it on is where it is next time I play that content. I don’t believe you need to set I up each and every time. Are you 100% sure the content you were playing back was HDR?
I just checked again and and now I see the "HDR" under 'Picture' where I didn't see it yesterday when I put in the 'Predator' DVD (double DVD set). I think I must have put in the Bluray version instead of the 4K version yesterday (duh).
So checked both SDR and HDR and the settings for each are what I inputed using D-nice's settings on page one. (y)
I have to say that for the 4K Predator that the screen is pretty dark. I put in the 4K Blade Runner and that is a much better picture! Maybe just a problem with the Predator 4K DVD.
Anyway thanks very much, I appreciate your and everyone's help here!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Has anyone tried using the screen saver using the Daydream feature (via Google Home, Chromecast and Ambient Display options)? While I got my photos from my Google Photos Albums to display, the screen is dim - is it due to the fact that this is a 'screen saver' feature so it's not displaying content at maximum brightness? I was unable to find any setting related to this feature to be able to adjust the brightness. Thoughts/ideas?

·
Registered
706 Posts

LMFAO. Your the only one I ever heard of complaining about support from Sony. You do realize there is a pandemic going on, right? Things take a while now. RELAX.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Been living with mine the last 3 days. No issues to report. Coming from a 2009 Samsung plasma the Sony is super smart about detecting inputs, choosing ARC (my AVR only has HDCP 1.4), switching audio outputs automatically, and my favorite is the customizable shortcuts menu at the bottom of the screen. Ordered a Perlesmith PSTVS11 table top stand to fit my furniture better - the 23x11 tempered glass base supports up to 70" sets.

1941 - 1960 of 3761 Posts