AVS Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 2291 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, after months of waiting, I can finally say I’m the owner of a 65 A8H! I’m so thrilled. Just got it set up, and the picture is stunning so far, but I’m having a Wi-Fi connectivity issue.

I’ve got both 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks through my router. I’ve tried about 15 times to connect the A8H to the 5ghz network, and it won’t do it. It’s giving me a variety of errors, such as that the password is incorrect (it is correct—I’ve triple-checked) or that it’s connected to the network but the network isn’t connected to the internet (that’s not the case—it’s working fine on my phone). It’s throwing up a lot of different errors, but basically it just can’t connect.

However, I’m having no issues at all with the 2.4ghz network. I’d prefer not to use that, though, since it’s slower.

Any ideas? I’m thrilled with the A8H so far, apart from this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, Would it be ok to transport a brand new in box A8H laying down flat ? I'm only going 15 miles or so. Thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I ordered a 55" A8H and it should arrive tomorrow. The documentation says the "stand" width is 39.625" and the depth is 12.875". Are these measurements accurate? Do they depend on whether the feet are in the "low" versus "high" position? If so, what are the measurements for each position? Are the feet really about 13" long?

The reason I ask is that I need to build a platform so that I can put my center speaker underneath the TV. I am trying to figure out how wide and deep the platform needs to be. The stand for the 55" A9G is only 18.625" wide and 10" deep, so the platform could be much more compact, but the price of the A8H was so much better.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, after months of waiting, I can finally say I’m the owner of a 65 A8H! I’m so thrilled. Just got it set up, and the picture is stunning so far, but I’m having a Wi-Fi connectivity issue.

I’ve got both 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks through my router. I’ve tried about 15 times to connect the A8H to the 5ghz network, and it won’t do it. It’s giving me a variety of errors, such as that the password is incorrect (it is correct—I’ve triple-checked) or that it’s connected to the network but the network isn’t connected to the internet (that’s not the case—it’s working fine on my phone). It’s throwing up a lot of different errors, but basically it just can’t connect.

However, I’m having no issues at all with the 2.4ghz network. I’d prefer not to use that, though, since it’s slower.

Any ideas? I’m thrilled with the A8H so far, apart from this.
Had some early connectivity issues as well. I was able to connect to both 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks but after a short time, I received an error that there is ... no internet connection. I've read that users of 900H and 950H have had similar issues and was helped was a 'restart' - either via unplugging the set for about 5 minutes or holding the power button on the remote for about 3 seconds. I think I also saw someone suggesting to check the time / date settings to make sure the switch to obtain data from the network is selected (no idea where that came from but...). I've performed all of those and it appears - for now - that the issues with WiFi connectivity have gone away.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Had some early connectivity issues as well. I was able to connect to both 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks but after a short time, I received an error that there is ... no internet connection. I've read that users of 900H and 950H have had similar issues and was helped was a 'restart' - either via unplugging the set for about 5 minutes or holding the power button on the remote for about 3 seconds. I think I also saw someone suggesting to check the time / date settings to make sure the switch to obtain data from the network is selected (no idea where that came from but...). I've performed all of those and it appears - for now - that the issues with WiFi connectivity have gone away.
Thanks immensely for the tips (and also the glimmer of hope that I can iron this out without exchanging the set). I’m away from home at the moment, but I’ll give a restart a try when I get home. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
All modes are adjustable. I use Custom since it is right above Custom for Pro 1 and 2 after their activation. I use all three to some degree with different sources. There are too many additional video modes between Cinema and Custom for me to care to use Cinema.
De Wayne, How do you activate those modes?

bob

·
Registered
162 Posts
I received my 65" yesterday and wall mounted. The bracket that I got a while ago from Amazon is excellent, I can tilt, swivel push the tv back and front easily and it came very handy and useful for my small family room with large window and French door. I tilted the tv slightly to avoid the ceiling lights and I see almost no reflection. Even day time I have no reflection issue.
The pq is amazing and I don't miss the super brightness of LCDs specially when there is no other tv sitting next to it for comparison.
I watched chef table on Netflix and few 4k videos from YouTube and they are spectacular. Very glad I went with this tv rather than LCD. The upscaling is very good too in my opinion.
I currently have Sony 52w3000 from 2008 in the bedroom but I rarely use it.
The setup went flawlessly. Will try to watch YouTubeTV soon to see how it looks.
I used D-Nice's hd setting and like it so much. It nicely brings out the dynamic range of the scene. Thank you so much D-Nice for sharing the settings.
Not planning to use any external device at the moment and the built-in software is all I need.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Curious about people’s opinions concerning Dolby Dark and Dolby Bright. Just started Ratched on Netflix and have to say, in my opinion, Dolby Bright is the way to go. This is on the internal apps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Curious about people’s opinions concerning Dolby Dark and Dolby Bright. Just started Ratched on Netflix and have to say, in my opinion, Dolby Bright is the way to go. This is on the internal apps.
I've started watching Netflix with "Netflix Mode" enabled. With this setting, none of the other modes can be chosen.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Recommendation by D-Nice is DV dark for internal apps, DV bright for external. Of course, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use bright for internal if you prefer the way it looks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've started watching Netflix with "Netflix Mode" enabled. With this setting, none of the other modes can be chosen.
I question it’s usefulness. How can a single mode apply to every show on Netflix and be “correct“ for each and every one? It doesn’t make sense.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I noticed that my new A8H has a newer firmware then what Sony has on their download site. It's PKG6.4774.0616NAA vs 6.4770 on their site. This seems to be the same version Sony recently released for the 950H.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone tried using the screen saver using the Daydream feature (via Google Home, Chromecast and Ambient Display options)? While I got my photos from my Google Photos Albums to display, the screen is dim - is it due to the fact that this is a 'screen saver' feature so it's not displaying content at maximum brightness? I was unable to find any setting related to this feature to be able to adjust the brightness. Thoughts/ideas?
My tv does that too, I’m thinking it’s to help the life span of the pixels.

·
Registered
589 Posts
So what's the deal with motionflow?

When I enable it, video playback is real ****ty. Constantly stuttering and hitching.

I have to test it more but I believe it's the same result regardless of the source.

1961 - 1980 of 2291 Posts