AVS Forum banner

Which size x900H / X90 do you own or wish to purchase?

1 - 20 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
Sony 65x900h, Yam RXV6A, Klipsch RP504C & RP500SA, 4x JBL HLS820, SMSL-SU8, MD THXAAA789, Senn HD6XX
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is created specifically for gamers who own/potentially will own the 2020 Sony x900h tv's. If you have any gaming-related questions or troubleshooting tips, feel free to share here.

To start the discussion, there's currently an issue where when an Nvidia 3000 series card is connected (the only 2.1 capable device in the wild at this time) and the desktop is set at 100% scaling, 4k/120 is significantly blurry compared to other resolutions.

Sony's response according to Vincent Teoh with HDTVTest is causing a lot of people to be skeptical as it doesn't make sense to a lot of people, including myself. The x900h is a 48G/s television, and other tv's that are only 40G/s such as the LG CX are confirmed to not have this issue.

There is a change.org petition originally created by an avsforum member that is located here:

Feel free to post any questions, comments, or general conversation about gaming specific topics concerning this set.

Please note: If you are wanting to share pictures of your experience with 4k/120 or any other resolution for that matter, that you must use a camera in order for us to see the result, and the 4k/120 issue is only currently prevalent with the desktop scaling set at 100%. This is adjusted in the scale and layout section of display settings in windows 10.

The most current version of firmware for the television is 6.0384 and can be located here:

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
really hoping they fix the blur ..

also not directly gaming related, but still related to the PC blur issue, so asking it here to RTX 3080 owners :
What about watching video files (~.mkv) or watching videos/streams in a browser in windows desktop at 4K-120-4:4:4 with RTX 3080 ?
Are videos also affected by the 4K-120 blur or not ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am using a 5700xt and a dp->hdmi adapter to get [email protected] 10bit full RGB and yes, video/movie playback is less sharp too, everything is less sharp it just depends on the content how noticeable it is.

Reactions: UltimateDisplay

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
and in games at 4K-120 - how bad would you say it is ?
I'm a casual gamer using my home built PC based on a Ryzen 9 3900X CPU and RX 5700 XT GPU. The RX 5700 XT is a 1440p gaming card and it struggles at 4K so [email protected] Hz gaming isn't going to happen over a broad spectrum of games. After playing around gaming on my 4K TVs and struggling to run at 30 fps, I now use mine on a dedicated 32" FreeSync 1440p monitor where it performs fine. For 4K gaming, you're looking at an nVidia RTX 3080 or 3090, or the new AMD 6800 XT or 6900 XT. Even those new high-end GPUs will likely struggle to get to [email protected] Hz in many games.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was supposed to get my 3080 yesterday but it was delayed a day because of weather, if anyone has anything they specifically want me to test let me know, I plan on testing it on FFXIV when I get it later today.

·
Registered
110 Posts
and in games at 4K-120 - how bad would you say it is ?
I only tried Doom Eternal yesterday... Jumping around and shooting I didn't notice it, standing still, I notice the picture isn't as sharp as it should be. Most of the text in game is big enough so, again, noticeable, but not bad enough to be a real problem, with the exception of performance metrics.
Overall it is very game/content dependent, any game either slow paced or with small text and a lot of reading will be a pain and quite noticeable for everything else it should be fine. I am past the return period for my TV so I am more or less stuck with it, and for movie watching I am very happy with it. I hope Sony fixes this, otherwise I'll consider getting a gaming monitor again.

Reactions: UltimateDisplay

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was supposed to get my 3080 yesterday but it was delayed a day because of weather, if anyone has anything they specifically want me to test let me know, I plan on testing it on FFXIV when I get it later today.
Curious to see what sort of frames you get @ 4K on FFXIV. Planning to upgrade the wife's GPU so she can play @ 4K when I bite the bullet on an X900H, just want to see where I should be aiming with the GPU.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Curious to see what sort of frames you get @ 4K on FFXIV. Planning to upgrade the wife's GPU so she can play @ 4K when I bite the bullet on an X900H, just want to see where I should be aiming with the GPU.
Sure I'll be posting a bunch of stuff about it later.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not exactly gaming related, but If you have an eARC capable avr I am curious if you are able to passthrough the truhd, truhd/atmos and dts:X from pc through tv to the avr. And a picture of the TV audio properties in this case. I can't with my setup and I am trying to figure out where the problem is.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not exactly gaming related, but If you have an eARC capable avr I am curious if you are able to passthrough the truhd, truhd/atmos and dts:X from pc through tv to the avr. And a picture of the TV audio properties in this case. I can't with my setup and I am trying to figure out where the problem is. View attachment 3051631
I do not, I just own a Vizio 5.1 soundbar, it doesn't even have eARC.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I only tried Doom Eternal yesterday... Jumping around and shooting I didn't notice it, standing still, I notice the picture isn't as sharp as it should be. Most of the text in game is big enough so, again, noticeable, but not bad enough to be a real problem, with the exception of performance metrics.
Overall it is very game/content dependent, any game either slow paced or with small text and a lot of reading will be a pain and quite noticeable for everything else it should be fine. I am past the return period for my TV so I am more or less stuck with it, and for movie watching I am very happy with it. I hope Sony fixes this, otherwise I'll consider getting a gaming monitor again.
and this is only 4K-120 ?
at 4K-60 the picture is ~crystal clear ?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Yeah but what about that sMooTHneSs

Gamers don't CaRe about graphical fidelity they just care about Sonys added image processing and smoothness....

Plus there is just so much information they can send along that full 48g/s pipeline and its already full of their bloatware image processing

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah but what about that sMooTHneSs

Gamers don't CaRe about graphical fidelity they just care about Sonys added image processing and smoothness....

Plus there is just so much information they can send along that full 48g/s pipeline and its already full of their bloatware image processing

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Talking about smoothness without VRR is ridiculous, from my point of view.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got Zeskit 8k cables with my PS4 hooked up to HDMI 4 in preparation for my PS5 in a couple weeks. I intermittently get terrible input lag or other wise its perfect most of the time. I've tried AV sync off and all TV processing turned off besides Local Dimming. I'm in Game mode. I tried changing HDMI inputs and changed the enhanced formats all around. Is there anything else I'm missing? I had my PS4 hooked up previously to my 2019 65" TCL 6 series before I moved my PS4 to my basement with a new 85" x900h and it was perfect on my 65".

·
Registered
298 Posts
Have you tried YCbRc4:2:0 instead of RGB or YCbRc4:4:4?

1 - 20 of 426 Posts