AVS Forum banner

Which size x900H / X90 do you own or wish to purchase?

841 - 860 of 868 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
that's why I stopped listening to Vincent
If Vincent and other reviewers wouldn't have talked to Sony and stood passive, like you, Sony would have made those changes silently and this TV wouldn't have had any VRR or ALLM updates. Even now I'm not sure that it will have. In my eyes those website statements are other baits to keep people from returning the TV and for the return period to pass.
Believe what you want, but Sony is playing as a big mouse and you are the cat. The mouse got your money, but if you are not careful, you will not get what you payed for.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I won't enjoy that TV because I didn't bought it when I saw all the problems it has. I will enjoy my real full array mini led LG or Samsung in few months.
I can still watch TV for few more months on my 15 years Panasonic CRT which has more more brightness then any OLED or LED TVs on sale at this moment. HDR, DV and any other crap is a gimmick to trick people. CRT can get so bright that it can hurt your eyes when watching in the dark and there is no color banding or any other crap like that.
I wish you to enjoy your TV and gl with getting that update.
Oh yeah, CRT is the future!!!! LOL
Jesus Christ HDR is gimmick!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

·
Registered
164 Posts
I won't enjoy that TV because I didn't bought it
THIS is why no one should refer to these forums for helpful info, or at the very least, take everything with a block of Himalayan salt.

Would ya' look at that? He "DIDN'T BOUGHT IT". Man doesn't even own an X900H -- after ALL that complaining and misinformation.

Great example that many posters in here are just blowing smoke. Do your homework, people, but more importantly, enjoy this awesome set!

·
Registered
147 Posts
This does not make the issues any less disturbing...

·
Registered
XBR65X900H - PS5 - XBSX - Kenwood VR-309 - KRK 10S - Adam Audio T7V & T5V - Klipsch KV-1
3 Posts
Hello All.

Super duper long time lurker here, first post. Cheers.

I still have time to return this TV but at the price I paid, I don't think there is anything better to replace it at this time.

Curious if the Sony factory warranty offers us any protection for this issue? Is there any chance that if they truly fail to deliver what was promised; might we have some leverage to use the factory warranty to get it replaced?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello All.

Super duper long time lurker here, first post. Cheers.

I still have time to return this TV but at the price I paid, I don't think there is anything better to replace it at this time.

Curious if the Sony factory warranty offers us any protection for this issue? Is there any chance that if they truly fail to deliver what was promised; might we have some leverage to use the factory warranty to get it replaced?
"Is there any chance that if they truly fail to deliver what was promised ", sure there is always a chance, i don't think that this will happen thought.

But like you said yourself, is there anything even close to this TV at this price range? My only other option was the TCL 635, but it has lots of other problems. I chose to keep my 900H and hope for the best, which i think will happen, and if Sony ends up not delivering all HDMI 2.1 features then i will be disappointed but still happy with the TV just because of its price and picture quality.

·
Registered
XBR65X900H - PS5 - XBSX - Kenwood VR-309 - KRK 10S - Adam Audio T7V & T5V - Klipsch KV-1
3 Posts
"Is there any chance that if they truly fail to deliver what was promised ", sure there is always a chance, i don't think that this will happen thought.

But like you said yourself, is there anything even close to this TV at this price range? My only other option was the TCL 635, but it has lots of other problems. I chose to keep my 900H and hope for the best, which i think will happen, and if Sony ends up not delivering all HDMI 2.1 features then i will be disappointed but still happy with the TV just because of its price and picture quality.
I actually picked up the TCL 635 first...

I was thinking it would be the least expensive stop-gap solution to purchase while all of these manufacturers truly figure out 4K/120 gaming with premium VRR. It was an awful experience. I messed around with it for 5-6 days and then exchanged it for an X900H. Since the TV it was replacing was a 2017 Sony model, the fail of the TCL was recognized instantly. I have nothing but praise for Sony's color science and 4K upscaling amongst other things. The TCL was a good 60fps gaming display but everything else was disappointing.

So yes, for the price of admission (especially my price)... this is almost a moot point. For me, this purchase was never meant to be the "next-gen gaming end-all display" but I sure thought it might be close considering what Sony advertised.

Reactions: luizffgarcia

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sheesh...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh yeah, CRT is the future!!!! LOL
Jesus Christ HDR is gimmick!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA
I didn't say CRT is the future. What you should know is that the analog signal gives more color levels then any digital crap that is today because is not limited in bits. If a show on a TV channel was made in 10 bit at least then you say is HDR otherwise is not. And CRT TVs because they are analog can show all those colors with no limitation and that TV doesn't have any "HDR". That's why HDR is a gimmick, a name and a spec that it shouldn't have been in the first place. Is a way for some companies to make more money.
Try to document yourself, if you can find any documentation about how the analog signal was transmitted before the digital era, and then laugh if you can.
Everybody is free to believe what he wants, including you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If Vincent and other reviewers wouldn't have talked to Sony and stood passive, like you, Sony would have made those changes silently and this TV wouldn't have had any VRR or ALLM updates. Even now I'm not sure that it will have. In my eyes those website statements are other baits to keep people from returning the TV and for the return period to pass.
Believe what you want, but Sony is playing as a big mouse and you are the cat. The mouse got your money, but if you are not careful, you will not get what you payed for.
I don't believe this for a second. I'm as sceptical and wary as the next guy when it comes to big companies but I had no doubt VRR would be coming to this TV and I still believe it will be.

All the evidence especially over the past month or so, I'd say points out that this TV was simply released too early to get 'something' out that would pair nicely with the PS5, the SOC was put into this TV a year before SONYs Developers were ready for (hence why ALL 2021 TVs are using this exact MT5895 and MT5893 SOC).

Now we find out that it already has a proprietary version of VRR that works with the PS5. I am quietly confident that they planned so much more for this TV and the complications of it being a new SOC released in a year that all the other TVs are running their ageing chipsets whilst knowing they would be releasing the 2021 TVs on the new one, it all makes sense to me.

2021 is going to be a great year for our TV.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't believe this for a second. I'm as sceptical and wary as the next guy when it comes to big companies but I had no doubt VRR would be coming to this TV and I still believe it will be.

All the evidence especially over the past month or so, I'd say points out that this TV was simply released too early to get 'something' out that would pair nicely with the PS5, the SOC was put into this TV a year before SONYs Developers were ready for (hence why ALL 2021 TVs are using this exact MT5895 and MT5893 SOC).

Now we find out that it already has a proprietary version of VRR that works with the PS5. I am quietly confident that they planned so much more for this TV and the complications of it being a new SOC released in a year that all the other TVs are running their ageing chipsets whilst knowing they would be releasing the 2021 TVs on the new one, it all makes sense to me.

if the new sets are using the same chip as the 900H, which makes no sense btw, does that mean the 4k 120 and vrr won't work right on them either

·
Registered
4 Posts
if the new sets are using the same chip as the 900H, which makes no sense btw, does that mean the 4k 120 and vrr won't work right on them either
I think it makes perfect sense that they'd use the same chip. Keep in mind that few, if any, of the TV manufacturers have expertise in SOC design. Mediatek's MT5895 is class-leading and designed for HDMI 2.1a and 8K televisions. It natively offers the "AI" functionality Sony references in the XR presentation and frankly, there aren't a whole lot of other options out there. Moreover, I believe Samsung also uses this chip in their higher-end models.

Finally, I'm not sure this is a case of something being wrong with the SOC that's causing 4K/120 and VRR issues as much as it's software and immaturity of HDMI 2.1. Thus far, it appears that all manufacturers, particularly those using the MT5895, are struggling with HDMI 2.1 features but because the symptoms and issues differ, I suspect that software and lack of testing prior to release is mostly to blame.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is how tech normally progresses. Ageing hardware in ALL the other 2020 (except the XH90/X900h no other TV from SONY uses this in 2020) and older TVs that have been revised over god knows how many years and have had co processors cobbled together to introduce features are replaced with a brand new single architecture (An SOC, System on a Chip) than can fulfil all their requirements and it is easily scalable. They can have one SOC perform certain functions, another one that doesn't contain some features to make it more cost effective for lower tier TVs and visa versa.

The same architecture over their whole range of TVs mean coding is made MUCH easier and more efficient and updates can be rolled out to the entire TV line up instead of having to code for one set of X1 Chip and co processors for one line of TV, then have to re-code to make the same update work on different hardware, so on and so fourth.

They have roadmaps and plans for TVs years in advance, so they obviously had contracts, purchases and agreements in place as the MT5895 and MT5893, are processors made with specific features that SONY have requested from the Mediatek S900 platform (Or simply the MT5895 or 5893 are standalone products but they don't list them on their website which makes me think they are customised).

There is a leaked spec sheet in Japanese floating about which shows which 2021 TVs are getting including the SOC and Nits etc.

Ref the 4K120 problem. No. The likelihood is that really, 4K120 was cobbled together as a patch to get 'something' working for PS5 Owners. As this is an entirely new platform, it is not unreasonable to think they knew they were moving over to a more tightly integrated chipset line up for 2021 and they got the XH90/X900h into the wild for PS5 Owners Knowing that full Android 11 integration (I'll have to try and maybe make a resource of all the sources) is needed for full HDMI 2.1 compatibility.

So it's actually more likely that 4K120 will be fixed entirely on our set, rather than they bork 4K120 on all the 2021 tvs.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Sony rose a finger and you are like god was in front of you. GL in getting those features, maybe in another year if not more or never. And btw LG and Samsung released their own chips each ear, they are not as old as you believe. Unlike the years before the new chips are more powerful because they have real full array local dimming with mini leds in 2021.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sony rose a finger and you are like god was in front of you. GL in getting those features, maybe in another year if not more or never. And btw LG and Samsung released their own chips each ear, they are not as old as you believe. Unlike the years before the new chips are more powerful because they have real full array local dimming with mini leds in 2021.
Actually, I went full bore nuts on Twitter at all the Sony twitter handles with the #sonyces. I have since deleted most of the tweets as we have our answer about VRR coming.

Funny, you think I'm a SONY fan boy when this is the first SONY TV I have ever bought and apart from having owned every generation of Playstation, I have never owned anything else of Sonys ever! haha.

You seem to think that by a lot of us using common sense and understanding that we have to wait, means we are going easy on SONY or are fans. No.

What I can't understand, I asked questions about the TV, I understood all the problems and then I BOUGHT THE TV. Why are you still hanging around on this forum having a go at all of us when you could be enjoying a TV from a different manufacturer? OR if you really want a XH90/X900h, why don't you tweet, email, write letters, phone SONY to try and get answers?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why are you still here? This is an owners thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Ref the 4K120 problem. No. The likelihood is that really, 4K120 was cobbled together as a patch to get 'something' working for PS5 Owners. As this is an entirely new platform, it is not unreasonable to think they knew they were moving over to a more tightly integrated chipset line up for 2021 and they got the XH90/X900h into the wild for PS5 Owners Knowing that full Android 11 integration (I'll have to try and maybe make a resource of all the sources) is needed for full HDMI 2.1 compatibility.

So it's actually more likely that 4K120 will be fixed entirely on our set, rather than they bork 4K120 on all the 2021 tvs.
Isn't possible the 4K 120Hz blur problem is related to the X900H having the older X1 4K HDR Picture Processor? The 2021 X90J is going to have a new more powerful picture processor, the Cognitive Processor XR. If that is the case, the 4K 120Hz blur might not be fixable on the X900H. Also, 120Hz gaming is an issue for many LCD TV panels irrespective of processing. From the FlatpanelsHD review of the X900H:

"Another open question is if LCD TV panels are fast enough for optimal 4K120 presentation, specifically if response times are too slow. Already with +120Hz LCD monitors, manufacturers employ aggressive overdrive (under/overshooting of colors), strobe lighting and other means to improve responsiveness. LCD panels are inherently slow so for 120Hz refresh (120 updates per second) response time (the time it takes for a pixel to shift to a new color) must be very low. Systems like overdrive can help but the downside is that you sometimes see tiny bright halos around moving objects, black smearing around dark objects, and similar side effects. And even if the overdrive effect is too little to notice consciously, it will reduce motion detail."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Isn't possible the 4K 120Hz blur problem is related to the X900H having the older X1 4K HDR Picture Processor? The 2021 X90J is going to have a new more powerful picture processor, the Cognitive Processor XR. If that is the case, the 4K 120Hz blur might not be fixable on the X900H. Also, 120Hz gaming is an issue for many LCD TV panels irrespective of processing. From the FlatpanelsHD review of the X900H:

"Another open question is if LCD TV panels are fast enough for optimal 4K120 presentation, specifically if response times are too slow. Already with +120Hz LCD monitors, manufacturers employ aggressive overdrive (under/overshooting of colors), strobe lighting and other means to improve responsiveness. LCD panels are inherently slow so for 120Hz refresh (120 updates per second) response time (the time it takes for a pixel to shift to a new color) must be very low. Systems like overdrive can help but the downside is that you sometimes see tiny bright halos around moving objects, black smearing around dark objects, and similar side effects. And even if the overdrive effect is too little to notice consciously, it will reduce motion detail."
When I bought my X900H, I thought this was true about the X1 HDR, but recent info, including FlatpanelsHD's own testing, shows it has the MT5895, which is actually newer than the SOCs in other Sony LCDs and is specifically advertised as being developed for 4K/120 and 8K video. Given that the Japanese spec sheet seems to indicate the MT5895 for the J-series sets, I don't think we can say that they're going to have a more powerful processor.

To your second point, I do think that there's a real possibility that 120 Hz won't look as good as 60 Hz in certain respects (like the artifacts you describe), but the current symptoms don't really look like a consequence of overdriving the panel. That's not to say that there isn't possibly a panel limitation, though.

841 - 860 of 868 Posts