AVS Forum banner

2661 - 2680 of 2786 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi guys, I bought XH95 65inch one week ago but I'm not happy about the black levels and blooming. Can u tell me if this is normal in this tv or my XH95 has damaged display? I chose it instead of LG BX65 and now I regret it...
The source of the picture has a lot to do with the quality of the picture.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I installed calman, did everything as you wrote according to the instructions.
Adds a photo before and after calibration. As you can see there is a slight green bloom.
I have a 65xh9505 model. Maybe this calibration does not match?
Are you using the Calman for Sony version? The version currently available does not support 2020 models. Can you show what options you chose in Calman to calibrate the X950H ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I find this TV to be a bit on the Dim Side unless I turn up all the things like contrast, gamma, X-tended Dynamic range, active contrast etc. But the picture becomes really fake with those on especially with HD/SDR content.
HDR content is dim, espeically the netflix calibrated. Even the Dolby vision bright seems sorta dim, unless I turn up all those settings. I view the tv in a bright room. Any suggestions?

My old 2012 1080p Samsung edge lit TV is almost 2 or 3x the brightness of this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find this TV to be a bit on the Dim Side unless I turn up all the things like contrast, gamma, X-tended Dynamic range, active contrast etc. But the picture becomes really fake with those on especially with HD/SDR content.
HDR content is dim, espeically the netflix calibrated. Even the Dolby vision bright seems sorta dim, unless I turn up all those settings. I view the tv in a bright room. Any suggestions?

My old 2012 1080p Samsung edge lit TV is almost 2 or 3x the brightness of this.
I think if you think this TV is dim even on DV Bright its you and not the TV....

·
Registered
984 Posts
Not sure if you are missing anything but having a similar setup:

Comcast X1
Nvidia Shield Pro (2019)
PS4

Plugged into Yamaha 677 (supports HDMI 1.4) -> Yamaha 677 output to Sony 950H 75" eArc

On the Shield I do not see HDR or Dolby Vision option to enable. It isn't there. Also when I use the Plex client on the Shield it does not show HDR or Dolby Vision
If I connect the Shield directly to the Sony it didn't change anything. I need to repeat this test as maybe I made a mistake but so far nothing
Using the Sony's UI and starting the Plex app I can see HDR and Dolby Vision. Only Dolby Vision files on Plex that play are MEL format. FEL does not work

If you are using a player of physical media you may not have any issues. However backing up discs using makemkv it has been a train wreck so far. When DV has worked the TV set is probably the best I've seen although I'm coming from the first gen 4k sets which was a LG 79" panel without HDR. The Sony is just amazing.
I had seen the term Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) mentioned on AVS but did not know what it is, so I had to do some reading. If I understand correctly, its an alternate AV source / storage medium to the Xfinity X1. Not sure I can appreciate what it offers at this point, but for now I am focused on the X1 as my 4k source with maybe adding a UHD Blu-Ray player in the future.

If you are accessing 4k sources with your X1, passing that through the Yamaha 677, and displaying on the 950H TV then I assume that is working correctly.

Thanks
Bruce

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I feel better about this TV after yesterday. In the afternoon, it got really sunny in the room because of the skylight, and I didn’t need to pull curtains or anything. The image was nice and bright, no reflections, no blooming. Later I played Spider-Man MM on PS5 and the colours and HDR were punching my retinas hard.. so good! Then at night I was watching DV content and got turn off by the blooming in black bars again... until I switched from DV bright to DV dark. It really made a difference! Subtitles blooming was much more subtle, noticing them only by looking at them really closely. There was still occasional blooming in black bars with bright objects, but really, it’s not that noticeable when you’re actually watching the show instead of looking at black bars all the time. Next thing to do is to find similar settings than DV dark to watch SDR and HDR10 contant at night.

So in conclusion, the pros really outweighs the cons here when speaking about brightness.

I think I’ll keep it. As much as the J series is tempting, we don’t know anything about their blooming performance yet and I’m not waiting a year to have a decent price. Life is short.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone run calibration using Calman for Sony software? If so, which settings have you used? My understanding is that Calman as of today does not support 2020 TV models yet. When I reached out to them, they said they are delayed with it. But if the currently available version works (more or less), I would like to hear with what settings,

·
Vendor
28,641 Posts
It's a bit better but it's still a big blooming. When I was cleaning the tv I noticed that the display is bending at the bottom edge (especially next to the logo). Is it normal?
Depends on the bend, some might have a very, very slight bend, nothing extreme.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i suggest you buy the 55 inch of this TV, if you're waiting for next years models, the x95j will not have a 55 inch variant. and the 65 inch is also missing some features, I honestly dont see that much of an improvement, from what I can tell right now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i suggest you buy the 55 inch of this TV, if you're waiting for next years models, the x95j will not have a 55 inch variant.
I noted that as well. I was on the verge of purchasing a XBR55X950H a couple of weeks ago, but decided to hold off and see what was introduced at CES. The Sony was one of the two brands (Sony, Samsung) that still offer their well-reviewed flagship 4Ks in 55" models. It looks like Sony is following the other manufacturers and no longer offering a 55" option in 2021.

So I had pretty much decided to preorder whatever Sony offered as a flagship at 55", but that's not an option anymore. Am I missing something? X-Wide-Angle is not mentioned on the X92.

Seems like the 950H may be my last chance to purchase a 55" LED with Dolby Vision, wide viewing angles, and other bells and whistles.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Has anyone run calibration using Calman for Sony software? If so, which settings have you used? My understanding is that Calman as of today does not support 2020 TV models yet. When I reached out to them, they said they are delayed with it. But if the currently available version works (more or less), I would like to hear with what settings,
I think it’s supported. Check this lengthy thread, which carries on for 2020 TVs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can someone help explain how this TV deals with built in Apps. Do each app count as a seperate Input, meaning do they each have their own picture settings? For example does netflix picture settings differ from Amazon prime, and from hulu etc. Im sorta getting lost a little.

To my understanding Each app is its own input. And each input has 3 different picture settings 1. for Dolby Vision --- 2. For HDR content (non dolby) 3. SDR content.

so for example the built in netflix would have 3 picture settings, with sub menues such as vivid, custom, custom pro, cinema etc.?

·
Registered
80 Posts
As I wrote earlier, I’m from a 900 and the colours and HDR on the 950 are definitely better. Blooming is also more pronounced, especially in black bars for movies, which is my main complaint. But I notice them more during night time viewing. Daytime viewing is really really good and don’t notice much blooming. I have a very bright room with a skylight.
Sorry, didn't see your reply till now! Thanks for the advice, that is really good to know. Would you say the better colors/HDR are a significant enough improvement over the x900h that it's worth returning and switching out for a x950h? Put another way, would you say the HDR experience on the x900h is poor/mediocre (ie. the colors/brightness isn't good enough to deliver a proper HDR experience)? I know this is pretty subjective, but I appreciate your input nonetheless. Also, I watch in a very dark room so I could see the blooming being an issue (something I essentially have no problems with on the x900h).
Lastly, what prompted you to return the x900h? For me, I only bought it because of 4k120 and VRR (for my XSX). With it unable to output real 4k120, and the possibility VRR is never implemented (I got contradicting answers from two different CS reps), the x900h has essentially no benefits over the x950h imo.
thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I struggle with the setup that would reveal details from black areas without brightening image too much. I realised that only increase of 'black level' brings more details, anything lower than 55 looks like just black patch. When I initially set up TV I set black level to 48 and was very happy with the deep of black but more content I watched I started to recognize lack of details. Currently watching the boys on prime via native app, it is HDR and 55 black level seems to be the best compromise between details and overall brightness. I watched "room to rent" before also on prime which was not HDR and 65 was minimum to reveal some details but darks were already greyish on that setting. Do anyone have some tips how to get the best settings for balanced blacks and details?
I wish this TV comes with several presets that I could save setting for different content. I do adjust settings for Netflix, prime or whatever as "app(video)" but films are hd, 4k or sd and need to fiddle with setting for every other movie I watch

·
Registered
10 Posts
I struggle with the setup that would reveal details from black areas without brightening image too much. I realised that only increase of 'black level' brings more details, anything lower than 55 looks like just black patch. When I initially set up TV I set black level to 48 and was very happy with the deep of black but more content I watched I started to recognize lack of details. Currently watching the boys on prime via native app, it is HDR and 55 black level seems to be the best compromise between details and overall brightness. I watched "room to rent" before also on prime which was not HDR and 65 was minimum to reveal some details but darks were already greyish on that setting. Do anyone have some tips how to get the best settings for balanced blacks and details?
I wish this TV comes with several presets that I could save setting for different content. I do adjust settings for Netflix, prime or whatever as "app(video)" but films are hd, 4k or sd and need to fiddle with setting for every other movie I watch
I fiddle with my settings... A lot. In the 5 months I've owned mine one of the things I've learned is to leave the backlight/Brightness slider cranked to max so all shadow details get revealed. This is with the Clearness/BFI slider on 2 or 1. I find I often have to dial down the contrast slider to prevent eye-burning whites or detail getting blown out in highlights.

So while I tweak lots of things, I don't think I've touched my Brightness slider in the past 2 months or so as my "workflow" switching between sources and content gets better practiced.

2661 - 2680 of 2786 Posts