AVS Forum banner

2681 - 2700 of 2787 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seems like the 950H may be my last chance to purchase a 55" LED with Dolby Vision, wide viewing angles, and other bells and whistles.
Went ahead and picked up a 55" yesterday, and generally very happy I didn't wait. In fact, the process of moving the old Vizio appears to have been fatal. After a factory reset, it would not power on again.

I don't find the X950H blooming to be bad enough that I'm worried about miniLED. Its maybe slightly more noticable than the P55-C1 (which had 2x the zones before it started to fail).

There are a couple of annoyances with the Android TV implementation compared to my Shield TV. Apologies if these are FAQ, pointers are welcomed. Is there a thread search function I've missed?

- I can't customize the quick settings options that appear in the settings menu. This is a standard part of the Android settings UI so Sony must have removed it?

- The launcher ads/promos are not great. I've seen enough of these ads already. I'm aware I can roll back the launcher version if I want, but that involves turning off Play Store autoupdate, which seems worse.

- It doesn't appear to be possible to run local DVR-like functions on the Sony implementation of Android TV? I've added USB storage (256GB) formatted for internal use, but no options related to DVR/time shifting appear in the TV app. Even installing the stock Google "Live Channels" app which I know offers these features has them missing on the Sony. Furthermore, its not isolated to the built-in tuner, Live Channels can't record from an HDHomeRun when that app is installed. Is there a workaround for this? I use an external Plex server for most DVR functions, but its weird to me that I need to use the Shield and a USB tuner to pause live TV.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I struggle with the setup that would reveal details from black areas without brightening image too much. I realised that only increase of 'black level' brings more details, anything lower than 55 looks like just black patch. When I initially set up TV I set black level to 48 and was very happy with the deep of black but more content I watched I started to recognize lack of details. Currently watching the boys on prime via native app, it is HDR and 55 black level seems to be the best compromise between details and overall brightness. I watched "room to rent" before also on prime which was not HDR and 65 was minimum to reveal some details but darks were already greyish on that setting. Do anyone have some tips how to get the best settings for balanced blacks and details?
I wish this TV comes with several presets that I could save setting for different content. I do adjust settings for Netflix, prime or whatever as "app(video)" but films are hd, 4k or sd and need to fiddle with setting for every other movie I watch
This is the weakness of led lcd tvs in general. It's a balancing act of not having washed out picture vs having deep blacks. If you brighten the image you blow out the whites but get better shadow detail, if you darken the image you get more detailed highlights and more crushed blacks and shadows.

48 does seem nice but it does crush blacks in SDR content. I just leave it at 50.
Don't set the local dimming to high because that will also blow out whites and crush blacks. Medium seems the best.

·
Vendor
28,641 Posts
i suggest you buy the 55 inch of this TV, if you're waiting for next years models, the x95j will not have a 55 inch variant. and the 65 inch is also missing some features, I honestly dont see that much of an improvement, from what I can tell right now.
Baby steps, except for HDMI 2.1

·
Registered
83 Posts
Baby steps, except for HDMI 2.1
My bad, I don't game on console. I am a pc gamer. I use my tv for movies and tv shows. So in terms of that I think the x950h would still be a wise choice for those who aren't gamers and are looking for a 55 inch flagship 4k tv from Sony. Because there will be no more 55 inch flagships at all in their new lineup.

I can probably write an essay on how behind the consoles are compared to pc, and how unnecessary hdmi 2.1 might be at this point in time, but that's for another forum! 😂

·
Registered
2 Posts
Every panel will be different. Copying settings from someone else's panel yields nothing but their panel's settings on your panel. There is no need to have a professional calibration done to a TV that has the ability to self calibrate. Buy a supported colorimeter and install the CalMan for Bravia app on the TV and then let it do the calibration. Now your panel has its own calibration—not someone else's.
Hello,

I have a colorimeter and downloaded CalMAN Sony software for windows as the link you've given requests.

When opening the Home Sony AutoCal workflow template . I get a message that says "the workflow you've selected is not licensed for this product". Do I need to pay for the software? thanks.

My software is CALMAN 2020 Trial Evaluation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can someone help explain how this TV deals with built in Apps. Do each app count as a seperate Input, meaning do they each have their own picture settings? For example does netflix picture settings differ from Amazon prime, and from hulu etc. Im sorta getting lost a little.

To my understanding Each app is its own input. And each input has 3 different picture settings 1. for Dolby Vision --- 2. For HDR content (non dolby) 3. SDR content.

so for example the built in netflix would have 3 picture settings, with sub menues such as vivid, custom, custom pro, cinema etc.?
From my experience (all inputs going into the AVR, single HDMI to the tv) SDR,HDR, and DV settings sticks across apps for each input respectively. The exceptions are netflix calibrated mode, which you probably shouldn't be using anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Can someone help explain how this TV deals with built in Apps. Do each app count as a seperate Input, meaning do they each have their own picture settings? For example does netflix picture settings differ from Amazon prime, and from hulu etc. Im sorta getting lost a little.

To my understanding Each app is its own input. And each input has 3 different picture settings 1. for Dolby Vision --- 2. For HDR content (non dolby) 3. SDR content.

so for example the built in netflix would have 3 picture settings, with sub menues such as vivid, custom, custom pro, cinema etc.?
There will be retained settings for app types of
Apps
Apps (video)
TV Tuner
Netflix

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hello,

I have a colorimeter and downloaded CalMAN Sony software for windows as the link you've given requests.

When opening the Home Sony AutoCal workflow template . I get a message that says "the workflow you've selected is not licensed for this product". Do I need to pay for the software? thanks.

Yes, you need to pay(I think $150) for Calman software before it will let you do anything. There is no grace trial period or anything like that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can someone recommend a show where you see a lot of blooming. Either I'm blind or I'm really not seeing much of a blooming when I'm directly infront of the set, even in a dark room.

From an angle all tvs show more blooming

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can someone recommend a show where you see a lot of blooming. Either I'm blind or I'm really not seeing much of a blooming when I'm directly infront of the set, even in a dark room.

Search 4k HDR on Youtube and watch the LG Black promo video. Set HDR settings to MAX Brightness and MAX contrast, Medium Auto Local dimming and HIGH Xtended Dynamic range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't had "dropouts", either... but I have not been totally devoid of audio issues. Only one of these issues appear that it might involve my AVR (an "older" Onkyo TX-NR1010):
  • Total loss of audio on one specific internal app. Not always the same app. Other apps/sources will work fine while a specific app suffers from this, and it exists both for internal speakers or external ARC. Restarting app fixes sometimes... Rebooting the TV has been the only consistent cure. This has NOT been a common occurrence... maybe once a week.
  • A/V sync issues on one specific app or input. Audio will always be behind video. Amount of delay varies but typically around 1 second. When present, it's present on both internal speakers or external ARC. Restarting app or switching input away and back typically will fix. Fairly common occurrence... every 1-2 days at least.
  • A/V sync issue on internal OTA tuner. This is similar to above except that it's much more persistent when it occurs... it survives reboots and just about anything else I've thrown at it. When it occurs, it's present on all 41 OTA channels and both internal or external audio. Audio is always lagging, by significant amounts... typically 2-3 seconds or more. This has happened at least twice since I started using the antenna connection about a week ago (I've had the TV for about 3 weeks now), and it mysteriously comes and goes for no apparent or reproducible reason.
  • No external audio (ARC) on any source or app. Power cycling the TV or toggling audio output to internal speakers typically fixes this.
Firmware is up-to-date. All of these issues except the tuner delay (it may have been there... I just never got around to connecting the antenna) were also present in the X900H I had first (returned for a bizarre backlight issue). They are mostly minor and fixable annoyances for me... but major issues for the less technically inclined if I'm not around.
I have never had a loss of audio or sound "dropout" on my 950H. It seems to happen with people using older AVRs, certain Denon AVRs or some soundbars.
Audio has never been a problem in all the time I've owned the TV.
Update: I am still having issues on audio dropouts using HBO MAX (Internal App installed from Google). It happens randomly but surely every 2 to 5 to 10 minutes, sometimes longer between occurrences. I am using Cinema 600 soundbar. Changing WIFI connection to 2.4ghz does not make a difference. My firmware is up-to-date. Strangely problem does not occur on Netflix or Youtube (pre and post firmware update). Played HBO MAX fine via PS5 (seems consistent with other user reports that there are no audio dropouts on external devices). Total loss of audio happened twice in the recent weeks. Had to restart the TV once for it to recover. Does anyone know any other fixes to the audio dropouts experienced using the TV internal app?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Update: I am still having issues on audio dropouts using HBO MAX (Internal App installed from Google). It happens randomly but surely every 2 to 5 to 10 minutes, sometimes longer between occurrences. I am using Cinema 600 soundbar. Changing WIFI connection to 2.4ghz does not make a difference. My firmware is up-to-date. Strangely problem does not occur on Netflix or Youtube (pre and post firmware update). Played HBO MAX fine via PS5 (seems consistent with other user reports that there are no audio dropouts on external devices). Total loss of audio happened twice in the recent weeks. Had to restart the TV once for it to recover. Does anyone know any other fixes to the audio dropouts experienced using the TV internal app?
Have you tried not using wi-fi to connect, and using an HDMI cable (best option) or blu-tooth instead?

·
Registered
180 Posts
So a few pages balked I laughed off the new update because some were reporting that it changed some PQ presets. I was expecting a few more pages worth of people talking about the update, but no one ever commented on it again. I still haven't updated to the newest update (I'm on the previous one) and am wondering how bad it is. I balked at the update originally because I like my PQ settings and don't want them changed too much for the negative.

So should I hold off until next update or take the plunge and do it? What exactly are the negatives of this update?

Thanks!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hello,

You need the Calman Home for Sony on your computer. You need to install the CalMan for Bravia on the TV. There's a walkthrough on the CalMan site. There's a discussion here on AVS on Calman Home for Sony. There is also a discussion on a bitperfect TPG here on AVS based on the Raspberry Pi 3+.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello!
I have just joined to the forum, i hope you guys can help me out.

I currently own a Samsung MU6102 50 inch tv. And i think its time to replace it.
After weeks of researching my go to would be the xh95 (x950h) 55 inch.

From every aspect it is way better then my current set but one thing. The contrast ratio on my samsung according to rtings is 4818:1 compared to the sonys 3819:1(with local dimming on high) and 3170:1 without LD.
So is it a big deal? Will i notice the difference really?
Or do i miss something about this topic?
My samsung does not have local dimming, only a feature marketed as UHD dimming which i think dimms the whole picture in a dark scene.
I checked the sony in a store and it looked really good, the colors the brightness and even the blacks. however as every store the store was bright.
I am afraid that i will be disappointed by the lack of contrast compared to the samsung when i bring it home and whatch it in the dark.
I really like the black levels of the samsung, i think its one of its strenghts (at least in sdr).

Thank you for your help in advance!

2681 - 2700 of 2787 Posts