AVS Forum banner

2701 - 2720 of 2748 Posts

·
Vendor
28,616 Posts
My bad, I don't game on console. I am a pc gamer. I use my tv for movies and tv shows. So in terms of that I think the x950h would still be a wise choice for those who aren't gamers and are looking for a 55 inch flagship 4k tv from Sony. Because there will be no more 55 inch flagships at all in their new lineup.

I can probably write an essay on how behind the consoles are compared to pc, and how unnecessary hdmi 2.1 might be at this point in time, but that's for another forum! 😂
HDMI 2.1 only matters in the "new" Gaming systems, graphics cards, and 8K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What are everyone's thoughts on if there is any chance the 950h sees Google TV upgrade this year? It seems Sony CES info indicated there was no concrete plan for pre-2021 models.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Can someone recommend a show where you see a lot of blooming. Either I'm blind or I'm really not seeing much of a blooming when I'm directly infront of the set, even in a dark room.

From an angle all tvs show more blooming
It's pretty easy to spot in the letterbox bars any time there's a single light source near the edge of the frame.

edit: *edge of the frame

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Can someone help explain how this TV deals with built in Apps. Do each app count as a seperate Input, meaning do they each have their own picture settings? For example does netflix picture settings differ from Amazon prime, and from hulu etc. Im sorta getting lost a little.

To my understanding Each app is its own input. And each input has 3 different picture settings 1. for Dolby Vision --- 2. For HDR content (non dolby) 3. SDR content.

so for example the built in netflix would have 3 picture settings, with sub menues such as vivid, custom, custom pro, cinema etc.?
My experience is that it depends on the app.

Some apps seem to inherit settings from the "Home" screen, whereas others such as YouTube and Netflix clearly store their own settings as a separate "input".

·
Registered
74 Posts
My experience is that it depends on the app.

Some apps seem to inherit settings from the "Home" screen, whereas others such as YouTube and Netflix clearly store their own settings as a separate "input".
Yea seems like netflix, amazon prime, apple tv app, youtube, keep their own.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
What are everyone's thoughts on if there is any chance the 950h sees Google TV upgrade this year? It seems Sony CES info indicated there was no concrete plan for pre-2021 models.
Check the A8H thread on how some people are getting it on their current TVs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I honestly don't see a major benefit in the upgrade. I actually feel the android tv is better than google tv.

As long as you have all the apps you need and they work without a bug, I don't think it will matter much.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I want to mount this TV to the wall. I got the 85" a few days ago and I'm happy with the purchase but right now it's sitting on the floor. Can anyone recommend the best wall mount from Amazon? The 4 holes in the back of the TV are very far apart from each other.

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
I want to mount this TV to the wall. I got the 85" a few days ago and I'm happy with the purchase but right now it's sitting on the floor. Can anyone recommend the best wall mount from Amazon? The 4 holes in the back of the TV are very far apart from each other.
I used this one to mount my 85". Didn't think I would want the tilt/articulation features, but I use them both! Very satisfied. Seems it is out of stock right now on Amazon though.

Reactions: RichardPryor

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You need a vesa 400x400 mount. The 85” weighs around 100 lbs. I like more expensive articulating mount compared to the cheaper flat mounts. Sanus has some decent beefy articulating mounts for the low $200.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I struggle with the setup that would reveal details from black areas without brightening image too much. I realised that only increase of 'black level' brings more details, anything lower than 55 looks like just black patch. When I initially set up TV I set black level to 48 and was very happy with the deep of black but more content I watched I started to recognize lack of details. Currently watching the boys on prime via native app, it is HDR and 55 black level seems to be the best compromise between details and overall brightness. I watched "room to rent" before also on prime which was not HDR and 65 was minimum to reveal some details but darks were already greyish on that setting. Do anyone have some tips how to get the best settings for balanced blacks and details?
I wish this TV comes with several presets that I could save setting for different content. I do adjust settings for Netflix, prime or whatever as "app(video)" but films are hd, 4k or sd and need to fiddle with setting for every other movie I watch
Hi, not sure if you figured this out. But remembered your post after it happened to me as well.
It is a problem where the media and tv mismatch and you get wrong color range. 0-255 vs 15-235 , so you have to up the black level by 15 to get correct (65), i have previously had the oposite happend where i have to lower to 35 to get correct blacks, but 2 days ago i also had to put 65 to get correct levels.
Only Local content streamed (tried different players with same result). But i have learned to live with the occational "bug" and just adjust -15 or +15 , very easy to see when its wrong. Can't see any big effect on the light part of picture when adjusting like this to fix it.

Edit: For hdmi inpus you can force right color range in settings, that is not an option for the internal apps.

Reactions: skwieradee1908

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry, didn't see your reply till now! Thanks for the advice, that is really good to know. Would you say the better colors/HDR are a significant enough improvement over the x900h that it's worth returning and switching out for a x950h? Put another way, would you say the HDR experience on the x900h is poor/mediocre (ie. the colors/brightness isn't good enough to deliver a proper HDR experience)? I know this is pretty subjective, but I appreciate your input nonetheless. Also, I watch in a very dark room so I could see the blooming being an issue (something I essentially have no problems with on the x900h).
I would say it's a significant improvement, the HDR is definitely more punchy to me. It was definitely worth the 400 increase I paid for it. Let me put it this way... with the 900H, I was sometime wondering is the HDR was activated and I had to check with the display button or the picture settings. I never did that with the 950H, because I know when HDR is activated right away. I can tell.

Lastly, what prompted you to return the x900h? For me, I only bought it because of 4k120 and VRR (for my XSX). With it unable to output real 4k120, and the possibility VRR is never implemented (I got contradicting answers from two different CS reps), the x900h has essentially no benefits over the x950h imo.
thanks
VRR will be implemented. It's the main thing I'll miss from the 950, since I have a PS5. I returned the 900H because of really bad DSE, and the fact that I wanted a better HDR experience.

For me, since I game 50% of the time and the other 50% are for movies and shows, I can enjoy a better HDR experience and better PQ across the board, but VRR (or 4K120) are only going to be useful for me in very few specific cases. So I determined it was not worth losing a better HDR across the board for a few specific cases where VRR wil be useful.

It really depends on your priorities and your viewing habits. And if you can wait another year for the J series at a good price. (I couldn't)

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is a problem where the media and tv mismatch and you get wrong color range. 0-255 vs 15-235 , so you have to up the black level by 15 to get correct (65), i have previously had the oposite happend where i have to lower to 35 to get correct blacks, but 2 days ago i also had to put 65 to get correct levels.

Edit: For hdmi inpus you can force right color range in settings, that is not an option for the internal apps.
Is that how it works? It seems to me they are unrelated settings and unrelated scales... Not sure 15 out of 255 is the same as 15 out of 100. I just put everything on auto and let the devices figure what the best option.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply, your post was really helpful! I'm still on the fence about getting a x950h but I'm leaning more towards it. I'm also now considering a q80t or maybe a CX (though I'm really weary of burn in in the CX).
I'm quite intrigued that native HD content looks quite a bit better. I notice that 720p and 480p sources also tend to be quite noisy with the x900h.

My main question about the comparison though lies with HDR. How much better does HDR content look on the 950 compared to the 900? Are colors more vibrant? Or does it only help in dark scenes? I'm also interested to learn how contrast/deep blacks look and how bad blooming is on the 950?

Thanks again!
Just a reminder (since it took me a while to respond) to preface my comments... I'm certain my 900 was defective. Even with G-Drive and G-Bias both cranked all the way down, the grayscale and colors bore a decidedly green cast to them. The backlight system had issues as well... rather than anything that resembled a normal gamma curve, when the overall picture brightness level reached a certain trigger point, the backlight would instantaneously jump to full output, eyeball searing flamethrower mode. So... my evaluation of the 900 is seriously hampered by those issues.

In comparison, while the 950 also had bit of a green emphasis with its out-of-box settings, this was easily calibrated out without resorting to any extreme grayscale settings. Color/grayscale accuracy is clearly in favor of the 950. Probably due to the upgraded video processing, the 950 does a significantly better job up-scaling and rendering FHD content than the 900 did. The 950 is simultaneously less noisy looking AND sharper than the 900 was. Compared to the 1080p plasma they replaced, the 900 was a noticeable downgrade on HD content, while the 950 is every bit the equal, if not superior, to the HD rendering on the plasma. Keep in mind that my plasma baseline was 9 years and 40,000 hours old and it's black levels had crept up over the years, so the black levels of the both the 900 and 950 were both superior.

Honestly, I was so frustrated by both the color and backlight issues on the 900 that it's HDR rendering was not my primary focus during initial evaluation. That said, the 900's weird backlight issue was NOT present in any HDR mode and we did enjoy watching some Netflix HDR content on the 900 before it was replaced with the 950. Acknowledging that this was my first in-home exposure to HDR and that I never did a side-by-side comparison of the two models, I thought the 900 did a credible job of HDR rendering and didn't notice a huge difference moving to the 950, especially considering that the "best I could get it" green tinge on the 900 was very similar to the initial out-of-box- green tint of the 950. I think the 950's PQ (both SDR & HDR) has since been tweaked to a MUCH better place than the 900 ever was, but the improvement lies more in the improvements made in grayscale color and gamma tracking than it does in any inherent absolute brightness advantage in the 950. Quite honestly, coming from an ABL equipped plasma, BOTH of these TVs can seem insanely (and painfully) too bright to me.

Blooming was/is occasionally present in both models without too much of a difference that I can recall. While I won't be one of those that claims they can't see it at all, for either set I don't notice it very often and it rarely bothers me even if I do...which surprises me a bit having the "bloomless" plasma as my reference. When I do see it, it's almost always on title rolls or shots like a full moon in a black sky... I can't say that I've ever noticed it in any letterbox bars. I'm sure individual results for blooming will vary depending on the Picture Settings used as well, but my "Brightness" category settings were same/similar for both my 900 and 950, so my comparison of the two should be reasonably valid.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Check out here: Wall Mount Finder
Very reasonable prices and good service. Weight capacity is most important.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good Afternoon,
930e Owner here. Have you 2020 950 owners heard if Google TV will be replacing the Android TV interface on your sets with a firmware update? The new 2021 are shipping with it according to the CES announcement, but no mention of upgrades for older models. Weighing the options of getting a 2020 for the price or waiting till next Black Friday for the new models.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone here experienced dead pixels on the X950H? I am looking at a 65” version, and I have had issues with dead pixels in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone here experienced dead pixels on the X950H? I am looking at a 65” version, and I have had issues with dead pixels in the past.

How can you even tell anymore. In 4k there are over 8 million pixels and I'm sure some pixels are probably dead. But unless you put a magnifying glass on every inch it's impossible to see.

If you have a group of dead pixels, that's probably not a good thing and a different issue, possibly damage to the unit.

The days of seeing dead pixels are pretty much Gina since there are so many more pixels picked in every inch that even on phones that you hold up to you face, it'll sometimes be hard to tell.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How can you even tell anymore. In 4k there are over 8 million pixels and I'm sure some pixels are probably dead. But unless you put a magnifying glass on every inch it's impossible to see.

If you have a group of dead pixels, that's probably not a good thing and a different issue, possibly damage to the unit.

The days of seeing dead pixels are pretty much Gina since there are so many more pixels picked in every inch that even on phones that you hold up to you face, it'll sometimes be hard to tell.
I have had this issue in the past. One or two tiny grey dots. Distracting enough to the point of where it all I will look for.

I had two 75” X950H units, and both had a lot of dead pixels. The little gray dots were all over the place.

2701 - 2720 of 2748 Posts