AVS Forum banner

3741 - 3760 of 3865 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
How does it fall short? What else would you have gotten instead of?
Some blooming as others have mentioned. Plus, coming from the tech industry, I despise Google. I have everything "Google" turned off.

I personally would prefer just a monitor instead of a TV. I don't use any of the TV apps. I have an Nvidia Shield and my Network Access Storage (NAS) for everything else. The built in Apps and Google just complicate things. I would take a monitor vs a Smart TV any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. Looking at upgrading to an 85 inch and considering the Sony x950h. Wanted to get honest feedback on this tv. What do you think? Happy with your purchase or wish you would have gone with different model or brand?

Thanks.
I got my 75x950h two weeks ago. Before, I had a 12 years old Samsung LCD 52LN650 (still running strong, moved it into the living room). The only other alternative I considered was LG CX, but finally decided the Sony is a better choice for us for these reasons:
  • Our TV room, open to the sun-room and to the kitchen, is pretty bright and my wife and I watch soccer games on weekend mornings
  • We don't do computer gaming
  • There is a lot of 1080 and lower resolution contents that we watch, and Sony 950 is very good at upsampling. (That's what I read and now can attest to.)
  • There is no burn-in for LCD.
BestBuy store is not very helpful with providing conditions for fair comparison of different TV sets. Although I did have the CX next to 950 at the store, the demo content was not very representative - basically some computer-generated graphics, short sequences of landscapes and paintings of Van Gogh. Sure, impressionistic paintings look gorgeous on CX, and so does computer graphics, because of OLED's ability to reproduce better blacks, but I think Sony's local dimming works great. There are several videos on youtube to demonstrate it. I've watched them on my 950 and I'm happy with what I saw.

When the Sony arrived in my house, I was initially disappointed with the way the white lettering on a dark background is displayed: too bright, leaking light into surrounding dark parts. But here is a secret: it's only on sunny days that I use a higher brightness in my Custom settings. At night, I set it to as low as 5. Also, Netflix lets you design transparent close-captioning letters per each Netflix profile. Problem solved! For me, the "blooming" reported by some owners is not a serious issue.

The best demo of 950's picture quality is the 4K DolbyVision show "Emily in Paris" on Netflix. I watched it in Dark DV Mode at night, and during the day - in Bright Mode.

If I weren't too lazy and had more time for this, I would have ordered both LG and Sony and kept the one I liked better. :) Having said that, I am very happy with 950.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I would ask why no receipt? Most retailers keep a electronic copy these days. Was it stolen?
Why on earth would it not come with manufacturer warranty? Too big of a TV, and too much of a financial commitment to [email protected]#k around with something like that. Just buy new for piece of mind, if you can..just my two cents.
Yea I went ahead and just ordered the x90ch from Costco. The 950 new is out of my budget. I plan to keep this 5+ years so the 5yr warranty will come in handy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rtings believe that every tv shares in the same for things like sharpness at 0 and post processing features all being turned off when in fact this is simply untrue. I used to be like most and blindly follow them but after doing my own research and testing I question if they really know what they're doing most of the time.

Example; They moved offset up 4 3 4 clicks on Vizio P Series Quantum. This causes black detail to be completely blown out and anyone who has ever calibrated a vizio for the last 5 years knows you never mess with offset because it does not act like other tvs, it effects black level.

They are not nearly as smarts as they think they are. Look at their Sports rating for the Samsung Q90 and Q80 and then look online how many people regret buying that tv because of judder issues in sports.

Test images don't explain everything about a tv. Real content does.
So true. Rtings is good to find out the numbers and hardware. But we don't buy tv's to watch test patterns at home you need real world content. Rtings is a good start but hardly a full review, I would rely more on HDTVtest and Stop The Fomo ect. I see things like certain tv's with a high local dimming score after they run some test images. But when you put on real content the black's are very crushed losing so much of the image because of overly aggressive dimming as well as other unwanted behavior. You need to factor in how the processing and dimming algorithm works with real content and then do comparisons. Too many people rely completely on Rtings when it's not a complete review.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Some blooming as others have mentioned. Plus, coming from the tech industry, I despise Google. I have everything "Google" turned off.

I personally would prefer just a monitor instead of a TV. I don't use any of the TV apps. I have an Nvidia Shield and my Network Access Storage (NAS) for everything else. The built in Apps and Google just complicate things. I would take a monitor vs a Smart TV any day of the week and twice on Sunday!
Let me get this straight, you have everything "Google" turned off on your 950H because you hate Google and use an Nvidia Shield instead? You do realize that your Shield runs the same OS as the 950H (Android TV) which is a product of Google. Just curious.

·
Vendor
29,862 Posts
Yea I went ahead and just ordered the x90ch from Costco. The 950 new is out of my budget. I plan to keep this 5+ years so the 5yr warranty will come in handy.
Not to much difference from the 950H to 900H / 90ch.I am sure you will be a ok ;)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Rtings believe that every tv shares in the same for things like sharpness at 0 and post processing features all being turned off when in fact this is simply untrue. I used to be like most and blindly follow them but after doing my own research and testing I question if they really know what they're doing most of the time.

Example; They moved offset up 4 3 4 clicks on Vizio P Series Quantum. This causes black detail to be completely blown out and anyone who has ever calibrated a vizio for the last 5 years knows you never mess with offset because it does not act like other tvs, it effects black level.

They are not nearly as smarts as they think they are. Look at their Sports rating for the Samsung Q90 and Q80 and then look online how many people regret buying that tv because of judder issues in sports.

Test images don't explain everything about a tv. Real content does.
RT's recommended are just the closest numerically to accurate....

You are misrepresenting what they tell you to do

They don't just stop at the presets.....

Judder complaints? You have a good way to quantify those complaints? I bet you don't. lol

They've put a bit more thought into this than most people dude. You better come with a better system you start saying stupid crap like that.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
We don't have Hulu here in Europe, but why would anyone bother with the service that only now bothered to update from 720p to 1080p, beats me. I don't even look at new shows if they are not 4K, no matter who's in them and what press they get.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
I finally settled with a sony xbr65x950h. I went on rting to apply their setting specificaly for that model. Wow what a huge letdown. The tv was dark, the colors had lost their spark. Avatar or Doris in Nemo should be blue, not grey. I then decided to call the geek squad. I know i know they dont have a good rep here, but for 100$ canadian, i thought it was worth it. If interested, i will post my experience with them. I have also book a free 30 minutes appointment with Sony on Sony website, even though i dont know what to expect from that.

What are your general thouhts on calibration or modes on you tv. For me if it turns a blue Avatar i to a grey Avatar, something is wrong.
Im very impress by this tv. Im coming out of a 12 yo plasma...i you can the next gen oled are rumoured to be much brighter.
These posts are one day apart....did the Geek Squad calibration happen in-between them and improve your opinion of the TV? :unsure:

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
653 Posts
Let me get this straight, you have everything "Google" turned off on your 950H because you hate Google and use an Nvidia Shield instead? You do realize that your Shield runs the same OS as the 950H (Android TV) which is a product of Google. Just curious.
Yep! Only because there are no other choices. I also own an android phone. Because there are no other choices to speak of other than Apple. I despise Apple products even worse than Google products.

At one time Android was a great Open Source OS until Google got their hands on it.

The implementation of Smart TVs has been a disaster since day one. Just take a look at the ARC/eARC mess. They still can't get this technology figured out.

The Shield has it's own set of issues but like I said, their aren't many choices out there for streaming players. Android, Apple, Zappiti, and a few others.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have had the 75 inch 950H for about 2 months now. I am impressed with the picture quality for the most part. Most of the time it looks great. I use a Roku Ultra to stream content. It gets routed through a Yamaha 3060 which passes through HDR and 4k. I would much rather use the Roku than the apps in the TV, but I was curious as to which had the better image. I was glad to see the Roku has just as good a picture as the TV apps. So basically most or all of the "Smart" features are turned off. I have settled on "Custom" setting for most all content and Dolby Vision Dark for when we use the Roku. I did notice that watching news channels that had the scrolling info at the bottom would stutter often, So I completely turned off the motion setting and it went away. Has anybody else had that experience? Also, it's not a big deal, but every now and again I wish the TV had a bit of a sharper picture. I have not adjusted the custom setting very much, other than turning off motion. I was wondering if there was away to increase sharpness a bit, with out messing with anything else? Again, this really is a great TV. I'm just tweaking a bit. I have a had a chance to watch Sports, movies and over the air content. Black level and picture are really good. I know no TV is perfect. And I didn't wanted to pay for a 77 inch OLED.
Thanks.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
I have had the 75 inch 950H for about 2 months now. I am impressed with the picture quality for the most part. Most of the time it looks great. I use a Roku Ultra to stream content. It gets routed through a Yamaha 3060 which passes through HDR and 4k. I would much rather use the Roku than the apps in the TV, but I was curious as to which had the better image. I was glad to see the Roku has just as good a picture as the TV apps. So basically most or all of the "Smart" features are turned off. I have settled on "Custom" setting for most all content and Dolby Vision Dark for when we use the Roku. I did notice that watching news channels that had the scrolling info at the bottom would stutter often, So I completely turned off the motion setting and it went away. Has anybody else had that experience? Also, it's not a big deal, but every now and again I wish the TV had a bit of a sharper picture. I have not adjusted the custom setting very much, other than turning off motion. I was wondering if there was away to increase sharpness a bit, with out messing with anything else? Again, this really is a great TV. I'm just tweaking a bit. I have a had a chance to watch Sports, movies and over the air content. Black level and picture are really good. I know no TV is perfect. And I didn't wanted to pay for a 77 inch OLED.
Thanks.
The stutter on news/sports crawls is normal with the Motion settings turned on, just depends on how much judder you can put up with. I have compromised with the settings linked in my sig, but I have no issue with sharpness.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The stutter on news/sports crawls is normal with the Motion settings turned on, just depends on how much judder you can put up with. I have compromised with the settings linked in my sig, but I have no issue with sharpness.
Got it. The crawls looking good are low on the priority list. So maybe I'll just do some more testing with other content to see if overall, the picture is better with different types of content including sports. But like I said, this is a pretty great TV. I guess what confuses me about the motion settings, is the fact that there are actually two different number settings in there "Clearness" and the other one. I'm not home so I don't remember off hand what the other setting is labeled. But thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Oh ok, i have my appointment set for april 23rd. I believe its going to be a huge let down. I dont expect anything crazy, but inreally wanted to mith bust this.
I don’t know what myth we’re trying to bust, but a calibration will get you closer to the reference standard if done properly. If you care about such things, then it’s a win.

However, what you prefer for your own viewing pleasure is entirely up to you. Many people who are used to overly cool color temps, overly bright displays, or high color saturation will find the calibrated result a bit muted at first.

If the question is whether the TV is accurate enough to reference without a calibration, I would say yes if you don’t have a reference to compare with, or you’re not used to looking at reference material. Sony has done an excellent job out of the box with Custom/Expert 1 default settings. Just lower the backlight to between 3-11 posted in the first post and enjoy.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
No they said the tv needs to have around 100hrs before calibration. Not sure what your question is...?
Not really a question, just an observation that one day this TV was a "huge letdown", and the next day you were "very impress(ed)". Just wondering what changed your mind.

3741 - 3760 of 3865 Posts