AVS Forum banner

3761 - 3780 of 3879 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don’t know what myth we’re trying to bust, but a calibration will get you closer to the reference standard if done properly. If you care about such things, then it’s a win.

However, what you prefer for your own viewing pleasure is entirely up to you. Many people who are used to overly cool color temps, overly bright displays, or high color saturation will find the calibrated result a bit muted at first.

If the question is whether the TV is accurate enough to reference without a calibration, I would say yes if you don’t have a reference to compare with, or you’re not used to looking at reference material. Sony has done an excellent job out of the box with Custom/Expert 1 default settings. Just lower the backlight to between 3-11 posted in the first post and enjoy.
3-11 that is out of 50 i believe. It is a darker screen for sure. I did try it and ended up boosting it back to 40 i believe. I mean why worry so much about max nits if your to deem the hell out of it? Maybe it is an acquired taste i need to develope.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not really a question, just an observation that one day this TV was a "huge letdown", and the next day you were "very impress(ed)". Just wondering what changed your mind.
What im saying is that i believe the geek squad calibration, or calibration in general is going to be a huge letdown, not the tv itself. I have done my own setting on custom mode and will compare to the calibrated mode when its done. I just dont expect to be wowed by it.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
What im saying is that i believe the geek squad calibration, or calibration in general is going to be a huge letdown, not the tv itself. I have done my own setting on custom mode and will compare to the calibrated mode when its done. I just dont expect to be wowed by it.
Not trying to beat a dead horse, just want to clarify;

When you said:

I finally settled with a sony xbr65x950h. I went on rting to apply their setting specificaly for that model. Wow what a huge letdown. The tv was dark, the colors had lost their spark. Avatar or Doris in Nemo should be blue, not grey.
You must have just been referring to the Rtings calibration settings, not the TV itself. I get it now! :D

Reactions: Marcus Willbe

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I think looking to get wowed by a calibration is the wrong mindset. A calibration is for those looking for the most accurate picture possible out of their displays.

If you put your TV on custom mode, expert 1 color temp, and restore defaults for custom, and turn the backlight (Brightness) to 3 or 4 meant for a dark room, this is the closest you will be to the reference without some kind of calibration. You can increase the backlight without hurting picture quality too much. If this picture isn’t for you, I’d save the money. Additional adjustments can be made with a meter to get you even closer, but the changes will be incremental and not drastic.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Did the 950H get the Hulu app update to 1080P? I'm at work and can't check until tonight.

"Hulu’s Android TV apps can finally stream in 1080p on new Nvidia Shield TV set-top-boxes and Sony Bravia TVs, as spotted by users on Reddit."

Just an update: my 65” is now showing the Hulu app at 1930x1080. Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got my 65” x950h. HDR / 4K content looks fantastic, but some upscale SDR content has problems.
Bright whites are blown out, pixelated, sparkly and awful. See images below.
Setting is at Custom and 35 brightness. Light sensor is off, automatic picture is off. Everything else is default.
Anyone else experience this or know how to correct it. My older TVs don’t do this with similar content.

EDIT: Fixed the problem! Content is coming from an Android Box and there is a display setting on the box where "SDR to HDR" was set to on. I turned it off and content is fixed. Hope this helps others if they run into this situation.

·
Vendor
29,880 Posts
Not really a question, just an observation that one day this TV was a "huge letdown", and the next day you were "very impress(ed)". Just wondering what changed your mind.
After the dust settles, what else can you buy for the price of this unit that is that much better?

·
Registered
306 Posts
So I have been enjoying my 950h since last fall and still on the original firmware. Can anyone speak to if it’s worth updating? I’m having no major issues so am leaning towards just leaving it. Does anyone know of the local dimming has been improved at all?

·
Registered
721 Posts
So I have been enjoying my 950h since last fall and still on the original firmware. Can anyone speak to if it’s worth updating? I’m having no major issues so am leaning towards just leaving it. Does anyone know of the local dimming has been improved at all?
I got a new x950h last week and updated to the latest firmware. No issues before or after the update.
Local dimming looks fine to me, I have seen little or no blooming in dark scenes or white credits on black background.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was wondering they ever going to fix that little Amber light that always come on at the bottom of the tv. Very annoying I always have to go intro he settings an toggle the 24hr in the clock settings an that gets rid of it til I restart the tv then it comes right back on. I know it’s a bug an not every one has this problem but damn it’s really starting to drive me nuts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I was wondering they ever going to fix that little Amber light that always come on at the bottom of the tv. Very annoying I always have to go intro he settings an toggle the 24hr in the clock settings an that gets rid of it til I restart the tv then it comes right back on. I know it’s a bug an not every one has this problem but damn it’s really starting to drive me nuts
It seems less like a bug than a “feature” (poorly implemented) to remind you that Google Assistant is off. If you enable Google Assistant, this light will turn off.

The way to make it go away permanently is to go to Settings > Apps > System Apps and disable the Google app.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got a new x950h last week and updated to the latest firmware. No issues before or after the update.
Local dimming looks fine to me, I have seen little or no blooming in dark scenes or white credits on black background.
Thanks for the feedback. I will see how brave I am - I just typically try to leave something alone if it ain’t broke :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been debating getting the 950h 75" and the 940e 75". I was wondering if anyone would have any insight if the 950h would produce equal or better picture than the 940e. I know the 940e has more dimming zones but I also know it also comes down to how dimming zones are controlled. I would be using the tv for movies and streaming services along with direct TV. Im sorry if I'm spamming but I thought you guys would be the ones to know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, I joined this thread a few weeks back, with this TV being my main choice, to get some advice and waiting for a price drop.
It's dropped now due to easter offers and although prices dropped for the LG 55" CX & Sammy 55" Q90T too at the same price, I've placed an order today for the Sony 55". My research and patience hopefully pays off, quite excited to be honest as it's my first foray into 4K for TV's, also coming back to a Japanese brand.
I use a datacolor spyder 5 for my photo editing monitor and laptop, so will try and see what calibration will do to the Sony, although I know the Spyder 5 is not the most accurate plus amateur calibration experience when it comes to TV's.
Will spin up my HD Bluray collection to start with too, I'll see about getting into UHD bluray.
Hoping firmwares have ironed out any bugs.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
So, I joined this thread a few weeks back, with this TV being my main choice, to get some advice and waiting for a price drop.
It's dropped now due to easter offers and although prices dropped for the LG 55" CX & Sammy 55" Q90T too at the same price, I've placed an order today for the Sony 55". My research and patience hopefully pays off, quite excited to be honest as it's my first foray into 4K for TV's, also coming back to a Japanese brand.
I use a datacolor spyder 5 for my photo editing monitor and laptop, so will try and see what calibration will do to the Sony, although I know the Spyder 5 is not the most accurate plus amateur calibration experience when it comes to TV's.
Will spin up my HD Bluray collection to start with too, I'll see about getting into UHD bluray.
Hoping firmwares have ironed out any bugs.
Congratulations on the purchase. This is a good opportunity to plug our DIY calibration thread for this TV.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I guess I could ask this anywhere but since I'm watching on the 950 I'll ask here. Watching through the 2nd gen Amazon Cube and pressing the info button I get this:
1080P 16:9 HDR(HDR10). What am I getting 1080P or HDR10?

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I guess I could ask this anywhere but since I'm watching on the 950 I'll ask here. Watching through the 2nd gen Amazon Cube and pressing the info button I get this:
1080P 16:9 HDR(HDR10). What am I getting 1080P or HDR10?
Both! 🙃

1080p describes the resolution (in this case, 'Full HD').

HDR(HDR10) has nothing to do with resolution... It let's you know that high dynamic range enhancements are in use... HDR10 is one of several 'flavors' of HDR.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So here's the deal X950h owners, will be making a new purchase on large screen TV for theater room 77" or 85" and all this talk about OLED , but I don't know plasma never did it for me , it just seemed like a dull picture to me when watching sports not the same popping of the colors.
I keep on returning and coming back to the X950h 85" watching football and some popping movie action , am I looking at this wrong?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Both! 🙃

1080p describes the resolution (in this case, 'Full HD').

HDR(HDR10) has nothing to do with resolution... It let's you know that high dynamic range enhancements are in use... HDR10 is one of several 'flavors' of HDR.
I forgot to add the show that I picked (Hunters) said it was in 4k.

3761 - 3780 of 3879 Posts