AVS Forum banner

3781 - 3800 of 3879 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
So here's the deal X950h owners, will be making a new purchase on large screen TV for theater room 77" or 85" and all this talk about OLED , but I don't know plasma never did it for me , it just seemed like a dull picture to me when watching sports not the same popping of the colors.
I keep on returning and coming back to the X950h 85" watching football and some popping movie action , am I looking at this wrong?
I know you'll probably think this is a cop out ;) yet all that matters is how the picture looks to YOU.. If you like the "pop" of the 950H more than the OLED then you have your answer....

·
Registered
195 Posts
So here's the deal X950h owners, will be making a new purchase on large screen TV for theater room 77" or 85" and all this talk about OLED , but I don't know plasma never did it for me , it just seemed like a dull picture to me when watching sports not the same popping of the colors.
I keep on returning and coming back to the X950h 85" watching football and some popping movie action , am I looking at this wrong?
I would say “it depends”. We have a Sony 77” A9G in a light controlled room and it is spectacular at 8’ sitting distance. We had a 75” 940C in our great room which is bright and it was fantastic at 10’ general seating distance. It went out and we replaced it with a 77”CX. Great TV, but unusable during the day. We are looking at the 85” 950H but are going to wait for the X95J due to brighter panel and newer processor (extra pop!). So, “it depends” means, room environment, seating and light control. For us, OLED in light controlled environment and a light cannon LCD in a bright room.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade from our current 43" Samsung (the panel is dying) and am considering either the 49" 950H or the 50" X90J. There are two main reasons I'm considering the 950 H - (1) it's a lot cheaper than the X90J right now, and (2) my wife has an almost instinctual disdain for large TVs, so even compromising an inch may help me convince her :D :D :D

That said, I'm wondering what experience folks here have had with the 950H and the PS5. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Guys a bit of an issue here. Keyboard doesn't show when I attempt to search anything in the TV menu or play store. Tried uninstalling gboard and installed it back but no joy. Restarting TV doesn't resolve the problem. Is my only option hard reset?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Guys a bit of an issue here. Keyboard doesn't show when I attempt to search anything in the TV menu or play store. Tried uninstalling gboard and installed it back but no joy. Restarting TV doesn't resolve the problem. Is my only option hard reset?
I’ve seen this if a bluetooth keyboard is connected. Can you check for that?

Even if it’s not a real keyboard, but an input device, it might think there’s a keyboard connected.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Sony launches Bravia Core with 'highest streaming picture quality'

Only for 2021 TVs? Why not for 2020 or 2019 TVs?

This is dumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So 2 thoughts come to mind. The bigger processors in the new units and a desire to have something that makes them stand out in the crowd.

The already have your/our money for this set, what's the payback for them to bring backwards to the 2020s and below?

This is a business after all.

Seggers

·
Registered
251 Posts
Advice needed. Currently have the 55” 850C. Has been a good tv. To me still a great picture. But looking at the 950H or the new 90J LED. Will either of those be noticeably better than my 850C? Mainly looking at a tv with Dolby vision. Need to stick with 55” too due to space. Also I mostly stream to watch TV. I do not do any gaming. Overall picture quality is the most important.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Advice needed. Currently have the 55” 850C. Has been a good tv. To me still a great picture. But looking at the 950H or the new 90J LED. Will either of those be noticeably better than my 850C? Mainly looking at a tv with Dolby vision. Need to stick with 55” too due to space. Also I mostly stream to watch TV. I do not do any gaming. Overall picture quality is the most important.
The 850C is a good tv. The one thing you may notice if you decide to go to the 950h is blooming. The 850c is a different technology and doesn’t use local array dimming. I had the 850C, still do just moved to another room. Personally I would not upgrade if your not moving up in size. I would save a little more $ and get a OLED.

·
Vendor
29,880 Posts
90J are not out just yet, we have to wait and see. If you are gaming I would get the 90J for sure.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The 850C is a good tv. The one thing you may notice if you decide to go to the 950h is blooming. The 850c is a different technology and doesn’t use local array dimming. I had the 850C, still do just moved to another room. Personally I would not upgrade if your not moving up in size. I would save a little more $ and get a OLED.
i have thought about the LG CX. But a little worried about burn in. Plus my tv is in a very bright room and from what I have read OLED is not as desired in a bright room. Don’t know for sure?

·
Registered
306 Posts
i have thought about the LG CX. But a little worried about burn in. Plus my tv is in a very bright room and from what I have read OLED is not as desired in a bright room. Don’t know for sure?
I know I’m contradicting myself on this one...but I actually brought the LG cx home and ended up choosing the 950h!

A few things I didn’t care for on the CX:
1-I have gotten use to Sony motion and am hooked. I understand OLED refresh rate is theoretically way higher than a LED however I found the OLED was either soap opera smooth or quite juddery.

2-in a brighter room I don’t think you will have issues with blooming. It’s more noticeable in a darker room.

3-I say wait for 2021 models.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is anyone experiencing HDR dropping on Netflix? I have Netflix on my Apple TV, connected through the receiver to the TV. When I power on Apple TV and go into Netflix, HDR is showing under picture settings, however unless it is Dolby Vision, as soon as I play the content the screen blacks out for a second and the HDR icon is gone.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
306 Posts
So I have played around with the settings quite a bit and now forget what the default was for a few. Say I’m in custom and I click reset settings, does that only change the custom profile back to default?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Is anyone experiencing HDR dropping on Netflix? I have Netflix on my Apple TV, connected through the receiver to the TV. When I power on Apple TV and go into Netflix, HDR is showing under picture settings, however unless it is Dolby Vision, as soon as I play the content the screen blacks out for a second and the HDR icon is gone.

Any ideas?
My guess -
If the Netflix app or UI is already showing HDR without playing any content, then your Apple TV is probably set to output HDR. Then if you have match dynamic range enabled on the Apple TV, and play a non-HDR title in Netflix, it will drop out of HDR.

The proper setting would be to have Apple TV on 4k SDR RGB High, and enable dynamic range and frame rate matching.

(Edited to switch from YCbCr to RGB High due to ATV4K conversion bug that pushes green for white balance.)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
So I have played around with the settings quite a bit and now forget what the default was for a few. Say I’m in custom and I click reset settings, does that only change the custom profile back to default?
If you do reset picture mode settings, it should reset that mode and for that input only.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a question regarding setting local dimming to high/vs medium.

I have always had local dimming on high for HDR and medium for SDR. The main reason for medium while watching SDR was because it would clip the whites when on high with quite a loss of detail. Local dimming on Medium corrected that.

Now, I have always used the “custom” profile because I prefer the colours and picture. Lately I have been trying out the standard profile and I have noticed that whites no longer get clipped when local dimming is on high with SDR. Is there anything that can be adjusted while on custom to have it act more like standard to prevent the white clipping? Or can the colours on standard be adjusted to mimic custom?
Thanks!!

3781 - 3800 of 3879 Posts