AVS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 977 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
The interesting thing is...if BFI and X-Motion Clarity REQUIRE sliders to both be set to 2, then what the absolute F do setttings Min and 1 do for those sliders? Seriously makes no sense.

Paul
Clearness

X950H : Min does nothing , 1 - Simple backlight scanning , 2 Activates X-Motion Clarity with smoothness 2 or else simple backlight scanning
X950G : Min does nothing , 1 - Activates X-Motion Clarity , 2 - Stronger X-Motion Clarity

Smoothness :
both X950H and X950G

1 - Low interpolation
2 - SOE Hell

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #722
Clearness

X950H : Min does nothing , 1 - Simple backlight scanning , 2 Activates X-Motion Clarity with smoothness 2 or else simple backlight scanning
X950G : Min does nothing , 1 - Activates X-Motion Clarity , 2 - Stronger X-Motion Clarity

Smoothness :
both X950H and X950G

1 - Low interpolation
2 - SOE Hell
Smoothness at 1 is barely noticable if at all for most 30p+ content, but for 24p, it def adds a bit of SOE...if you are sensitive to judder, then youd be sensitive enough to pick up on Smoothness 1 on 24p content.

Paul

·
Registered
77 Posts
Smoothness at 1 is barely noticable if at all for most 30p+ content, but for 24p, it def adds a bit of SOE...if you are sensitive to judder, then youd be sensitive enough to pick up on Smoothness 1 on 24p content.

Paul
In general yes. But most people ( not me ) don't notice the Smoothness 1 SOE

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Clearness

Smoothness :
both X950H and X950G

1 - Low interpolation
2 - SOE Hell

Do people think the difference is just a bug on the X950H or intended. I’m not a fan of having to set the clearness to 2 as it really darkens the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
26,676 Posts
The picture you show appears to be from a Netflix menu page, unfortunately Sony turns off Local Dimming on menu screens (No one know why). One of the functions of LD is to compensate for clouding, when LD is on you should not see clouding like this.

TL:DR Clouding like that is normal on menu type pages.
I wish Sony would not turn of that local dimming, lol.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I wish Sony would not turn of that local dimming, lol.

Ditto, but only because it causes so many questions from new owners. Otherwise I don't really mind it, kind of reminds me of how good a job LD does in mitigating clouding.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe I just have higher expectations. If Vincent had not mentioned it in his review, rtings wouldn't have known.
Sorry for any confusion. This was a miscommunication between our testers and writers, we actually hadn't seen Vincent's video when we made that correction.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Question for you guys, I've been having an issue with voice sync using HDMI as sound thru my Onkyo receiver. The issue is that when watching cable the voice sync will be nearly perfect and as I'm watching the show after a while it will slowly get worse and worse syncing up. I messed with the av sync settings on the receiver and on the tv setting av sync to on. It's just weird that it only happens on HDMI and not optical. I use the HDMI as a central hub for audio and still use HDMI ports on tv. It's very a annoying and cannot figure this out.

I was having sync issues with ARC over HDMI until I turned off Passthrough on the TV's audio settings and set the output to Auto 1. None of the other setting options seemed to make a difference. The sync issues were happening for both over-the-air and media player sources. This means I can't get DTS passthrough now, but I can live with that if it means no audio dropouts or sync issues.
Best of luck.
It worked! Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
To follow up on my previous post. Looks like X-Motion-Clarity on the X950H works different than on the X950G.
X950G has X-Motion-Clarity activated at Clearness 1 and any Smoothness

X950H needs at least Smoothness 2 and Clearness 2

Confirmed by HDTVTest in his review of the X950H
Confirmed by rtings after latest update

Update 07/06/2020: We previously mentioned to activate the BFI feature, the 'Clearness' slider can be set either at '1' or '2', according to your preference. However, 'Clearness' and 'Smoothness' sliders must be set at '2' for it to work. The text and the settings page have been updated.

WTF Sony ?

This is weird, Smoothness at 2 sucks so much, I hate it. Have you heard any reports that this happens on the X950G with H firmware? I mean, I would assume it would but...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #731
I made a little video showing Smoothness at Min, 1, and 2...2 definitely engages X-Motion clarity, but obviously, SOE. The second half is the video slowed down 33% so you can see the stutter reducing at 2...to the eye, it is practically gone by Smoothness 2. OI apologize for the quality, I was holding my phone with one hand while messing with the playback and TV remote slider with my other hand.

X-MOTION CLARITY IS SONYS TRADE NAME FOR SOAP OPERA EFFECT...PERIOD

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
This is weird, Smoothness at 2 sucks so much, I hate it. Have you heard any reports that this happens on the X950G with H firmware? I mean, I would assume it would but...

I’m not a fan of Clearness at 2 either. It really puts a damper on the picture.

My ideal setting were 1 and 1 which would work well on the G but at 2, 2 it’s not good.

I’m really hoping this is just a bug in the firmware and it should work like the G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I made a little video showing Smoothness at Min, 1, and 2...2 definitely engages X-Motion clarity, but obviously, SOE. The second half is the video slowed down 33% so you can see the stutter reducing at 2...to the eye, it is practically gone by Smoothness 2. OI apologize for the quality, I was holding my phone with one hand while messing with the playback and TV remote slider with my other hand.

Paul

https://youtu.be/_vdLmXfELg0
You should shoot at 120/240hz and then slow it down so we can see the backlight reacting - else all we are seeing is the motion interpolation kicking in

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here are my latest tests :

X950G - clearness 1 activates x-motion clarity
X950G with H firmware - clearness 1 smoothness 2 activates x-motion clarity :(
X950H - clearness 1 smoothness 2 activates x-motion clarity :(
X900H - clearness 1 smoothness 2 activates x-motion clarity - however smoothness 1 same interpolation but less artefacts than 950 series , 2 is less SOE than 950 series

For me the X950G is the clear winner in motion for 2019 , X900H is the clear winner in motion for 2020

·
Registered
27 Posts
Plugged in Dnice settings and when I switch from hdr to sdr to plug in the settings for that mode the tv erases the hdr color settings the sdr?!?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I made a little video showing Smoothness at Min, 1, and 2...2 definitely engages X-Motion clarity, but obviously, SOE. The second half is the video slowed down 33% so you can see the stutter reducing at 2...to the eye, it is practically gone by Smoothness 2.

I'm assuming CineMotion was disabled with your test? it can add to SOE.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone know how to fix the sync between my Sony remote and spectrum cable? It was working fine and all of a sudden the remote doesn't connect with my cable box. I tried doing a search for the box and even putting in the box name to sync it back up and it will not find the box anymore. Any suggestions??

721 - 740 of 977 Posts