AVS Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 2148 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Please please if any owner of this set can help. I have already ordered the set (65). I have read a couple reviews of people trying to connect soundbars via arc and not working, being told by Sony "it's a software issue, wait for an update". I have a sonos beam. Can anyone comment?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
It's not about the size or money. I paid the same for both. It's appears less bright when my blinds are open and the sun shines through the windows. The picture is not as bright as when we would see it at night with low light or no light.
That I agree with but saying it's dim and hard to see is a complete exaggeration and not truthful.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
27,972 Posts
Please please if any owner of this set can help. I have already ordered the set (65). I have read a couple reviews of people trying to connect soundbars via arc and not working, being told by Sony "it's a software issue, wait for an update". I have a sonos beam. Can anyone comment?
People can have the exact same setup and have issues while other people do not. You will have to wait and see tom know for sure......

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes all timers and settings are good. Power from wall also good. I now have some HDMI devices unplugged, maybe they turn the TV off when they go to standby.
There is a setting to stop other devices from controlling the tv power on/off. May want to check that one out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
People can have the exact same setup and have issues while other people do not. You will have to wait and see tom know for sure......
Do you know which version of Android the xh95 uses? Is it Android 9 pie? Can't find this info anywhere. I'm asking because I currently use 9 pie on my philips and arc is working flawlessly

·
Registered
209 Posts
There is a setting to stop other devices from controlling the tv power on/off. May want to check that one out.
My tv hasn’t turned itself on in a week. I just noticed the remote was no longer connected via Bluetooth. I wonder if the Bluetooth connection is causing the tv to turn on.

I also don’t know why the remote disconnected itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
This TV and from what I see, many newer Sony TV’s seem to be very particular to what quality HDMI cable is used. I’ve never had issues with ARC with an 18gb cable in just being able to get ARC to work(not eARC).

This TV was the exception. I had problems with all the 18gb HDMI cables I had, that worked fine on all my other TVs. I ended up having to get a full 48gb 8K cable to get ARC to work properly.

So keep that in mind if you have issues. It may not need a software update, but an upgraded HDMI cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
So three days ago my "Inputs" function broke. I have those set up with my apps (e.g. YTTV, Netflix, Hulu, Prime) so my wife can just hit the Input button on the remote then choose the app she wants to switch to. Now those have disappeared and I only have the HDMIs, USB, and Airplay as options. And I can't add any apps to the Inputs. Another thing I liked about that was that i could set the Settings individually for each app that way.

I've done a dozen Power Button resets and unplugged and plugged it back in. No joy. I did a factory reset, looked like it worked, then they went away again. What's odd, this happened at the same time on both my 950H and my 950G updated to the H firmware - the 950H is set to auto-update, the 950G/H is not (and I haven't updated the firmware on it since I installed the H firmware back when the ability to do that first got posted on here.)

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this???

·
Registered
517 Posts
Trying out the new Chromecast with Google TV on my 950H and I really like it a lot, especially since we use all streaming for our TV watching (Youtube TV, Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc.) Great home screen interface, much nicer than the Sony home screen. But two questions:

The Sony 950H remote automatically works with the new Chromecast, which is nice, EXCEPT the home button on the Sony remote takes us to the Sony home and not the Chromecast home. Is there an easy way to assign a button we don't use, say the big red Google Play button, to the Chromecast home button?

Anyone else using the new Chromecast with their Sony 950H? If so, any tips and tricks?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dust accumulation seems normal on mine, compared to other TVs I have had. I bought these cloths to wipe the screen:

They seem to be unavailable right now, but look for something similar. I wipe the screen about once a week with the cloth gently to remove dust. Shake the cloth out into a garbage pail frequently. Try not to push the dust downward so that it does not accumulate in the bottom edge where it could get stuck. If there is a smudge on the screen, wipe a bit harder in a circular fashion. If there is real dirt that is hard to get off, spray a tiny bit of distilled water (you can buy a big jug of it in the supermarket) on the cloth and wet the spot...then quickly wipe with a dry section of cloth. My screen is immaculate with no scratches.
Hey thanks for the response. I think without a flashlight less than 1% of the dust is actually visible. Trust me, if you shine a flashlight in it you will see considerably more.

Then again it only can be seen with a flashlight.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
So three days ago my "Inputs" function broke. I have those set up with my apps (e.g. YTTV, Netflix, Hulu, Prime) so my wife can just hit the Input button on the remote then choose the app she wants to switch to. Now those have disappeared and I only have the HDMIs, USB, and Airplay as options. And I can't add any apps to the Inputs. Another thing I liked about that was that i could set the Settings individually for each app that way.

I've done a dozen Power Button resets and unplugged and plugged it back in. No joy. I did a factory reset, looked like it worked, then they went away again. What's odd, this happened at the same time on both my 950H and my 950G updated to the H firmware - the 950H is set to auto-update, the 950G/H is not (and I haven't updated the firmware on it since I installed the H firmware back when the ability to do that first got posted on here.)

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this???
i have the same issue on X900H, and found a workaround. Installed "Button Mapper" and assigned 6 most used apps to the "TV" and "Google Play" keys. "Apps" key next to the numbers pad works as a direct shortcut as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i have the same issue on X900H, and found a workaround. Installed "Button Mapper" and assigned 6 most used apps to the "TV" and "Google Play" keys. "Apps" key next to the numbers pad works as a direct shortcut as well.
What's the difference between adding apps to the input button, vs just adding them to the favorites at the top of the main screen? To me, it's easier just to select the favorites at the top. Inputs , I just add my HDMI inputs, media player and that is it.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
What's the difference between adding apps to the input button, vs just adding them to the favorites at the top of the main screen? To me, it's easier just to select the favorites at the top. Inputs , I just add my HDMI inputs, media player and that is it.
Saves you a click to the home screen.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stupid question - remote control. Any suggestions or viable recommendations on a single remote that links together this Sony set along with the Denon X4700 and Comcast X1? I am about ready to order the Denon unit this week and may pull the trigger on the Sony at the same time. Maybe it was here or the other thread I'm watching (Denon X4700) but I thought I read a few issues around the Comcast box.

We have two issues we are hoping to resolve with the Denon and Sony besides picture is the inconsistent sound in movies and a remote that is able to turn on, off, and navigate easier than the 4 remotes we are using now. Has to be a better way and I believe most home audio/theater folks have more equipment yet cracked this nut that a dummy like me can figure out. I believe the chain will be:

Sony x950H
Denon X4700
Comcast X1
Nvidia Shield Pro (Plex Server with storage connected to NAS (mkv/flac content))
PS4

It sounds like everything gets plugged into the Denon (today it is an old Yamaha RX-V677) then the single HDMI from the X4700 routes to the Sony. I'm assuming that is correct. Any thing I can read up on to make interlink or single source control would be huge. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello dear owners of the beast,

Rapid question :
One says that blacks look grey in dark room settings... Is it true ?

I currently own a XE90 (55XE9005) since 2017 and it is perfect in day light and dark room. But I'd like a bigger size now ...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Stupid question - remote control. Any suggestions or viable recommendations on a single remote that links together this Sony set along with the Denon X4700 and Comcast X1? I am about ready to order the Denon unit this week and may pull the trigger on the Sony at the same time. Maybe it was here or the other thread I'm watching (Denon X4700) but I thought I read a few issues around the Comcast box.

We have two issues we are hoping to resolve with the Denon and Sony besides picture is the inconsistent sound in movies and a remote that is able to turn on, off, and navigate easier than the 4 remotes we are using now. Has to be a better way and I believe most home audio/theater folks have more equipment yet cracked this nut that a dummy like me can figure out. I believe the chain will be:

Sony x950H
Denon X4700
Comcast X1
Nvidia Shield Pro (Plex Server with storage connected to NAS (mkv/flac content))
PS4

It sounds like everything gets plugged into the Denon (today it is an old Yamaha RX-V677) then the single HDMI from the X4700 routes to the Sony. I'm assuming that is correct. Any thing I can read up on to make interlink or single source control would be huge. Thanks!
Have you looked at the Harmony line?
I have a older Monster remote that was made by Harmony, and I like it.
It takes a little while to program the Harmony. You create what they call activities. Watch TV, Watch DVD, etc.
Then you can program the Harmony, via a cloud app and PC, to setup the devices for what you are doing.
For example, my DVD is connected to my X4500. (wish I had held out for the 4700 lol) I have it setup to go turn TV on, go to input 3, turn on X4500 and go to DVD input. So you push one button and everything is on and setup. And you setup the Harmony buttons to talk to the appropriate device. So for this, volume controls the x4500, play the dvd, etc.

On sound, I'm using the Sony optical out to an optical to coax converter, then to the X4500. (I had a coax running from back of TV to equipment close not a toslink so needed to convert) Played with the Denon and Sony sound settings a bit, now quite happy with the sound. I am mostly streaming with Sony TV's apps. I need to get a new HDMI cable so I can try eARC, but this setup is fine for now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can anyone please help me decide between the older z9f and this xh95?

I read about advantages to both directions. Which would you pick and why?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

Sony x950H
Denon X4700
Comcast X1
PS4

I have:
x950G with H firmware
Denon X4500
NV Shield
Sony X700 BD player
No Cable - OTA

I use the stock Sony remote to control everything no problem via CEC. I havent had cable in many years. The Sony has a wizard function to set up control of a cable box via IR. I would try out the Sony remote first and see how it goes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you looked at the Harmony line?
I have a older Monster remote that was made by Harmony, and I like it.
It takes a little while to program the Harmony. You create what they call activities. Watch TV, Watch DVD, etc.
Then you can program the Harmony, via a cloud app and PC, to setup the devices for what you are doing.
For example, my DVD is connected to my X4500. (wish I had held out for the 4700 lol) I have it setup to go turn TV on, go to input 3, turn on X4500 and go to DVD input. So you push one button and everything is on and setup. And you setup the Harmony buttons to talk to the appropriate device. So for this, volume controls the x4500, play the dvd, etc.

On sound, I'm using the Sony optical out to an optical to coax converter, then to the X4500. (I had a coax running from back of TV to equipment close not a toslink so needed to convert) Played with the Denon and Sony sound settings a bit, now quite happy with the sound. I am mostly streaming with Sony TV's apps. I need to get a new HDMI cable so I can try eARC, but this setup is fine for now.
Harmony? No, I've not read on it. But I am now :) Thank you.

1521 - 1540 of 2148 Posts