Registered
105 Posts
I have:
x950G with H firmware
Denon X4500
NV Shield
Sony X700 BD player
No Cable - OTA

I use the stock Sony remote to control everything no problem via CEC. I havent had cable in many years. The Sony has a wizard function to set up control of a cable box via IR. I would try out the Sony remote first and see how it goes.
Similar. Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. I'm going back through the Denon thread and maybe it was there that I saw the Comcast reference. I'll read on the Sony wizard as well!

Thank you all.

·
Registered
491 Posts
What's the difference between adding apps to the input button, vs just adding them to the favorites at the top of the main screen? To me, it's easier just to select the favorites at the top. Inputs , I just add my HDMI inputs, media player and that is it.
Just faster to hit the inputs button then select the app. For example, it's common in an evening for us to watch one show on YTTV, then switch to a show on Prime, then to one on Netflix. A lt simpler/faster hitting the input button on the remote then hitting the Prime option that pops up than going to the home screen, then scrolling over to the Prime option, then selecting from there.

We're currently forced to go to the home screen now. It was just really nice when someone showed us how to map these to the Inputs. Also, I'm not sure, but if I changes settings while in, say, Hulu, do those settings stick only for Hulu or will they be in force for, say, YTTV? When they are in the inputs I can set the settings for each app and they stick for that app.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Here's what may be an odd question: We are now trying out a new Chromecast with Google TV with our 950H. Very nice homescreen and integration of YTTV and all my active apps.

By default the CCWGTV outputs everything to HDR. There is a setting to change that, but I didn't realize what it was doing. My wife said, the PQ on YTTV looks a lot better with this new CCWGTV! Then I saw what it was doing.

My question: I know I lose my super techie street cred by saying this (and I'm someone who has purchased equipment to do calibrations at home in the past!) but the picture has looked really good across the board on YTTV, Prime, Netflix, etc. with the device outputting everything in HDR. I did turn the brightness down, FWIW. What am I missing? I feel like I should be setting the option to output in native whatever.

·
Vendor
27,502 Posts
Can anyone please help me decide between the older z9f and this xh95?

I read about advantages to both directions. Which would you pick and why?
They are real close in overall performance, so if the older model is way less go with that. If not I vote for the new model, as it will have newer features.....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Any Sony remote experts here? My Sony 950H remote turns off my TV, LG soundbar, and Chromecast with Google TV device. However, when I hit the button to power everything back on, it does not turn on the CCWGTV. That means we have to keep the CC remote around just for that. Pain in the butt. Anyone know how to fix this?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Any Sony remote experts here? My Sony 950H remote turns off my TV, LG soundbar, and Chromecast with Google TV device. However, when I hit the button to power everything back on, it does not turn on the CCWGTV. That means we have to keep the CC remote around just for that. Pain in the butt. Anyone know how to fix this?
The power button on the remote should not power on everything when the TV is turned on (necessarily). When you switch to the CCTV input, it should turn on then. Now, the tricky part is there are settings in the TV and the devices to set how they behave when TV power is turned on or off. It could also be that the CCTV is new and they dont have all the bugs worked out yet

·
Registered
126 Posts
Took advantage of Best Buy early Black Friday deals and bought a 65" 950h. It arrives Tuesday. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The power button on the remote should not power on everything when the TV is turned on (necessarily). When you switch to the CCTV input, it should turn on then. Now, the tricky part is there are settings in the TV and the devices to set how they behave when TV power is turned on or off. It could also be that the CCTV is new and they dont have all the bugs worked out yet
Hmmm. So, when I turn off the TV, it turns off the CC. And that apparently deactivates the HDMI 1 where it is plugged in - when I turn on the TV, hit Inputs, HDMI 1 does not show up until I turn the CC on with it's remote.

Soooo, I wonder if there's a way I can keep the HDMI 1 "active" so that when I turn on the TV it turns on the CC? I get what you're saying, it can't "get to" the Chromecast because it can't see the Chromecast through the input.

I suppose another approach would be to find a way to keep the power button from turning the CC off when I turn the TV off so that the CC is always on. Not sure how to do that either.

·
Registered
239 Posts
so 900H is having major HDMI 2.1 120Hz update, anything for 950G/H?
Based on all the previous information (see earlier in this thread), the 950 sets will not get the 2.1 - their SoC is incompatible, no update can change that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Given that Apple and Android are direct competitors, wouldn't it be likely that No Android TV would have an AppleTV app available?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Has anyone seen the AppleTV app show up yet?
It seems it will require an actual firmware update and won’t just be an app in the App Store. The apk was posted and tried on other Sony TVs and the Nvidia Shield, but it requires some type of extra app for Apple security and proper authentication.

I’m guessing the reason the X900H got it before their flagships(OLEDs, X950H) was because they were already working on the 2.1 update for the X900H so they just threw it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Given that Apple and Android are direct competitors, wouldn't it be likely that No Android TV would have an AppleTV app available?
Several Sony TVs from 2018 onward are getting it. Apple wants more people subscribed to their services. Samsung TVs have had it for a couple of years so that shows you Apple is not being petty about getting their products out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Several Sony TVs from 2018 onward are getting it. Apple wants more people subscribed to their services. Samsung TVs have had it for a couple of years so that shows you Apple is not being petty about getting their products out.

assuming the app becomes available, would there be an advantage to getting the appleTV streaming box over using an app?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’ve never had an Apple TV streaming device but have used Roku devices to stream the Apple + shows. I have to say I think the video/audio experience from Apple is a notch above that of Amazon/Netflix and I don’t know if that has to do with it not coming from the native apps that are in the TVs android operating system or maybe Apple doesn’t cut the bit rate as much.
many do not trust having their tv connected to Wi-Fi via the Google system and only use their Apple TV device from post I’ve read.

1541 - 1560 of 1677 Posts