AVS Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 1677 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Hmmm. So, when I turn off the TV, it turns off the CC. And that apparently deactivates the HDMI 1 where it is plugged in - when I turn on the TV, hit Inputs, HDMI 1 does not show up until I turn the CC on with it's remote.

Soooo, I wonder if there's a way I can keep the HDMI 1 "active" so that when I turn on the TV it turns on the CC? I get what you're saying, it can't "get to" the Chromecast because it can't see the Chromecast through the input.

I suppose another approach would be to find a way to keep the power button from turning the CC off when I turn the TV off so that the CC is always on. Not sure how to do that either.

This is my Shield. It has option for wake when TV powers on, but thats not how it actually works. The Shield stays off until I pick it from the TV input button, then it wakes up. Does you CCTV have options such as this?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Have any 950 H owners here gone directly from a Sony X900E (2017) display to the (2020) 950 H? The reason I ask is according to tests performed by RTINGS.com the older 900E has better black levels than the 950 H. I am interested in updating my 49" 900 E for the better HDR performance, but am curious if it would be a big enough drop in black level performance to rule it out?
I haven't been able to find a visual comparison on Youtube to help me make my decision. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Is there anyone here with a 950H who still has the ability to assign apps to Input slots? We used that as the way in which we switched apps. That ability disappeared on both my 950H and my 950G/H about a week ago, on the same day. One of them is set to update automatically, the 950G/H is not and has not updated firmware for three months or so, yet this problem hit both TVs at the same time. Resets haven't done anything to fix this. Sony of course does not respond to my request for support on this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Based on all the previous information (see earlier in this thread), the 950 sets will not get the 2.1 - their SoC is incompatible, no update can change that.
But there is even more desirable feature than 120Hz and it doesn't require extra bandwidth I'm talking about VRR that could be enabled via firmware update but I lost my hope it will happen :(.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Someone can give the best settings to the XH9505 to make the colors and whites comparable with oled. I bought the TV with the calibration, the settings they set give me a boring picture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Start with black level set to 47 it will crush some blacks but looks so good on this tv.
How much should I set the gamma? The store has set:
Brightness 4
Contrast 88
Gamma 0
Color 53
Local dimming: small
Motionflow: small
Other settings off
In my opinion, the image is slightly brightened, in bright scenes the white is dazzling and not pleasant to the eye, the colors seem washed out. I don't watch in the dark.
How for the price I am disappointed

·
Registered
5 Posts
How much should I set the gamma? The store has set:
Brightness 4
Contrast 88
Gamma 0
Color 53
Local dimming: small
Motionflow: small
Other settings off
In my opinion, the image is slightly brightened, in bright scenes the white is dazzling and not pleasant to the eye, the colors seem washed out. I don't watch in the dark.
How for the price I am disappointed
These look outstanding to me:

Picture mode Custom

Brightness 20 (non hdr content)
Contrast 90 sdr
Gamma 0
Black level 50
Black adjust off
Adv. contrast off
Local dimming Med
X-tended Dynamic Range High
Color 50
Hue 0
Color Temp Expert 1
Live color High
Reality creation 48
Motion
Smoothness max
Clearness min cinemotion off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any way to enable Game Mode or Graphics Mode for internal apps, specifically Airplay?
They show up in the Picture mode options for HDMI inputs, but there’s only Vivid, Standard, Cinema and Custom when I’m screen mirroring, streaming or watching TV.

There are several iPhone games that I’d love to Airplay mirror and play on the TV, but the 100ms of lag in those modes makes it impossible.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My 950h turned on again by itself at 10:28 pm again. It hasn’t done this since 09/23 at 10:28 pm. I put a camera on it back on the 24th. The camera shows my Yamaha receiver’s blank screen when the connected devices are not on. My Appletv, which is on the input was not on. I had turned off the ability to use apps to turn on the tv. So HomeKit can turn it off, but not on. Same with Alexa. I think this must be an Android tv issue. Strange that it was at 10:28 pm both times.

·
Registered
626 Posts
This is probably NOT it, but it sounds a lot like what I was trying to figure out with my TV (not a sony). Turned out to be my laptop triggering my receiver to turn on via Bluetooth, even when it was closed and not in use. I'd walk in and find my tv on and couldn't figure it out.

Anyway, that's my shot in the dark.

LG 65"C9/ RTIa9's/ CSIa6/ Yamaha 1060/ Emotiva 2 channel amp/ PSA V3601/ LG 4k Bluray

·
Registered
96 Posts
Why would the 900H get HDMI 2.1 update but not 950H, a similar but more expensive tv?
Because it doesn't have the physical correct HDMI ports for 2.1. The 900H ports 3 & 4 that are 2.1 look different than ports 1 & 2 that aren't. (there are rumors that all ports could be 2.1, but that is not the case with initial 2.1 firmware update...so would seem rumors are just that.)

Why would Sony not put them in a higher model ? Bad decision making it would seem.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Because it doesn't have the physical correct HDMI ports for 2.1. The 900H ports 3 & 4 that are 2.1 look different than ports 1 & 2 that aren't. (there are rumors that all ports could be 2.1, but that is not the case with initial 2.1 firmware update...so would seem rumors are just that.)

Why would Sony not put them in a higher model ? Bad decision making it would seem.
I've come to the conclusion that Sony simply is about picture quality 1st, additional features 2nd. I think they should've included 2.1 with the 950h, but it makes sense when you see the OLED doesn't have it either. Their flagship tv doesn't have it, but the lower tier one does. Its almost as if Sony compensated with the 900h by throwing in that feature to make it a more viable option vs paying for the 950h. Just a guess.

LG 65"C9/ RTIa9's/ CSIa6/ Yamaha 1060/ Emotiva 2 channel amp/ PSA V3601/ LG 4k Bluray

·
Registered
77 Posts
It’s been known for months that the 950H wasn’t getting HDMI 2.1. It’s all gaming features you’re getting anyway. Sony didn’t pull the wool over anyone’s eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Why would the 900H get HDMI 2.1 update but not 950H, a similar but more expensive tv?
The 900h and 950h use a different SOC, apparently the 950h SOC won't support HDMI 2.1 high speed modes. However the 950H will be getting some of the HDMI 2.1 features that do not require the high speeds such as eARC.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The 900h and 950h use a different SOC, apparently the 950h SOC won't support HDMI 2.1 high speed modes. However the 950H will be getting some of the HDMI 2.1 features that do not require the high speeds such as eARC.
Any idea when these new features may be available? Hoping to get a new tv on BF. Narrowed it to 75" Sony 950H or Vizio P75QX-H1. The Vizio apparently is bug infested with reviews being very consistent in the the problems owners are having. It is really scaring me off.

1561 - 1580 of 1677 Posts