AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 1677 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Any idea when these new features may be available? Hoping to get a new tv on BF. Narrowed it to 75" Sony 950H or Vizio P75QX-H1. The Vizio apparently is bug infested with reviews being very consistent in the the problems owners are having. It is really scaring me off.
No idea when or even each of the various features will be available, the 950H already supports eARC. Sony has not officially advertised any besides eARC.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So what a dilemma...well, not really I guess. Anyway stopped by the local best buy today to finally look at this set in person. Very nice picture and a bit larger than my 79" LG. I really like what I saw. No pressure sale which was nice. The dilemma is that if you buy now from them you can return up to the 2nd week of January 2021 I think they said. Not bad. Gives one time to really look at the set, try it out in different situations, etc.

Not sure that convenience is worth paying state taxes and what not though...Still - love the set.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there anyone here with a 950H who still has the ability to assign apps to Input slots? We used that as the way in which we switched apps. That ability disappeared on both my 950H and my 950G/H about a week ago, on the same day. One of them is set to update automatically, the 950G/H is not and has not updated firmware for three months or so, yet this problem hit both TVs at the same time. Resets haven't done anything to fix this. Sony of course does not respond to my request for support on this.
I just noticed the same thing...I had the MLB app set as an input, but now it is gone and I don't see how to get it back. I don't think my firmware got updated...how did this happen?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a question regarding the picture settings. I was watching my Apple TV tonight and adjusted a few settings while watching Netflix. I think I forgot what the some of the defaults where. I use the custom picture mode so if I reset the settings to default will it only reset the custom settings associated with the AppleTV or all inputs that I use custom on? Not sure if that makes sense..?

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 950h turned on again by itself at 10:28 pm again. It hasn’t done this since 09/23 at 10:28 pm. I put a camera on it back on the 24th. The camera shows my Yamaha receiver’s blank screen when the connected devices are not on. My Appletv, which is on the input was not on. I had turned off the ability to use apps to turn on the tv. So HomeKit can turn it off, but not on. Same with Alexa. I think this must be an Android tv issue. Strange that it was at 10:28 pm both times.

Mine has done the same thing a handful of times as well usually when I am gone and get back home Ill find the TV on like a waterfall screen that has something to do with the built-in Chromecast. I have also had it turn off on its own a couple of times. I know for sure I have my DirecTV receiver connected to HDMI1and it will pop up saying no input detecyed and will shut off in X amount of minutes.

·
Vendor
27,502 Posts
Why would the 900H get HDMI 2.1 update but not 950H, a similar but more expensive tv?
The 950H is not capable of HDMI 2.1, it need different hardware. The big question is why was it built that way....... along with all of the OLED's......

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 950H is not capable of HDMI 2.1, it need different hardware. The big question is why was it built that way....... along with all of the OLED's......
I think it's pretty obvious that there is something needed in the Ultimate chipset that isn't there for HDMI 2.1, because it was being worked on while they were trying to figure out what HDMI 2.1 contained. It's possible that they could add in some or all of the function in later but it would mostly be luck, ...unlikely. I'm guessing at least some of that function will need to wait for the Ultimate+ or whatever they are calling the next chip. Does anyone know more about the Ultimate 2 chip, ...the more Ultimate chip?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious that there is something needed in the Ultimate chipset that isn't there for HDMI 2.1, because it was being worked on while they were trying to figure out what HDMI 2.1 contained. It's possible that they could add in some or all of the function in later but it would mostly be luck, ...unlikely. I'm guessing at least some of that function will need to wait for the Ultimate+ or whatever they are calling the next chip. Does anyone know more about the Ultimate 2 chip, ...the more Ultimate chip?
I would suspect it is the SOC that is causing the issue not the Ultimate video processing chip. Just a guess based on nothing. ;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would suspect it is the SOC that is causing the issue not the Ultimate video processing chip. Just a guess based on nothing. ;-)
Actually I don't know much about the actual architecture. But probably too much on chip development.

...Is there a good paper on the architecture, that would be interesting. I assume there isn't much on the details because that would be heavy Sony proprietary info.

A better, more correct way, as you caught, would be to say that the Chipset doesn't support it. I'd think that if it was just plopping the 'other' chip in, the one that they use on the 900, they would do a quick 950I, because they must recognize that they will be losing major sales to their competitors on this.

Similar to the ASTC3 function they just can't have included it in a chip design before it was fully defined.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having this issue happening for the second time now in the short time i own this TV. For Television i use cable and a CAM module just like on my 900E. Out of nowhere it stops working, i can't go to the channels anymore. The screen stays black, no info at all. Also the guide is just a black screen. Its not a signal issue, there is no error code and plugging the cable into the 900E it works fine. When trying to scan for the channels it does nothing. It does not start scanning. I have to completely factory reset the TV, loose all my settings and then it works. This now happened for the second time in a short time and its getting really annoying. Am i missing something i can so or is this a faulty tuner?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have:
x950G with H firmware
Denon X4500
NV Shield
Sony X700 BD player
No Cable - OTA

I use the stock Sony remote to control everything no problem via CEC. I havent had cable in many years. The Sony has a wizard function to set up control of a cable box via IR. I would try out the Sony remote first and see how it goes.
I see you watch a lot of OTA is that right? I was just at BB and had the guy show me OTA stuff, CBS ,NBC, Fox and to be honest it all looked pretty bad. How does your OTA look?
Thought Sony would upscale better than that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is there anyone here with a 950H who still has the ability to assign apps to Input slots? We used that as the way in which we switched apps. That ability disappeared on both my 950H and my 950G/H about a week ago, on the same day. One of them is set to update automatically, the 950G/H is not and has not updated firmware for three months or so, yet this problem hit both TVs at the same time. Resets haven't done anything to fix this. Sony of course does not respond to my request for support on this.
I don't use it but just checked and i can add apps like disney netflix etc to the list.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hey guys, quick question for you 950 owners. My 950 just got delivered but I dont get the "Dolby vision" or "HDR" pop up in the top right corner like I did with my C9. How do I check to make sure I'm getting the proper signal?

LG 65"C9/ RTIa9's/ CSIa6/ Yamaha 1060/ Emotiva 2 channel amp/ PSA V3601/ LG 4k Bluray

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey guys, quick question for you 950 owners. My 950 just got delivered but I dont get the "Dolby vision" or "HDR" pop up in the top right corner like I did with my C9. How do I check to make sure I'm getting the proper signal?

LG 65"C9/ RTIa9's/ CSIa6/ Yamaha 1060/ Emotiva 2 channel amp/ PSA V3601/ LG 4k Bluray
You will only see the HDR/Dolby Vision "marker" in the picture settings menu. It will be right at the top.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ok, new question/problem...

This is really frustrating. I have an LG 4 bluray player that is Dolby Vision compatible and displays DV on my C9 just fine. I've hooked it up to my new 950h directly and through a receiver, and all I can get is "HDR". No sign of DV anywhere.

If I switch over the netflix app and play DV content, I can see it in my settings, so I know the TV will accept the signal.

Anyone have a clue why this might be happening? Think its an "LG vs Sony" thing?? I'm grasping at straws here...

·
Registered
5 Posts

This is really frustrating. I have an LG 4 bluray player that is Dolby Vision compatible and displays DV on my C9 just fine. I've hooked it up to my new 950h directly and through a receiver, and all I can get is "HDR". No sign of DV anywhere.

If I switch over the netflix app and play DV content, I can see it in my settings, so I know the TV will accept the signal.

Anyone have a clue why this might be happening? Think its an "LG vs Sony" thing?? I'm grasping at straws here...
Make sure this is selected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts

Sony uses a newer Dolby Vision format or "profile" that most 4k Blu-ray players don't have.
Only some expensive Panasonic players, (not Panasonic's entry-level 4k Blu-ray player!) and Sony 4k Blu-ray players have the Dolby Vision format that will work on Sony TVs.

Supposedly all new 4k blu-ray players introduced to market will have this new Dolby Vision format, but for 2020, NOBODY made or introduced a new 4K Blu-ray player.
All the current players that sell as brand new, are actually 2019 & 2018 models,
so your only real choices if you want a 4k player that will be able to use the "correct" format of Dolby Vision are Sony 4k players (which don't automatically detect and activate the Dolby Vision format, you have to manually turn it on and off every time) or the expensive Panasonic's 4k players.
This is why your LG 4k player's Dolby Vision won't work with your Sony television.

1581 - 1600 of 1677 Posts