AVS Forum banner

1601 - 1620 of 2031 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sony uses a newer Dolby Vision format or "profile" that most 4k Blu-ray players don't have.
Only some expensive Panasonic players, (not Panasonic's entry-level 4k Blu-ray player!) and Sony 4k Blu-ray players have the Dolby Vision format that will work on Sony TVs.

Supposedly all new 4k blu-ray players introduced to market will have this new Dolby Vision format, but for 2020, NOBODY made or introduced a new 4K Blu-ray player.
All the current players that sell as brand new, are actually 2019 & 2018 models,
so your only real choices if you want a 4k player that will be able to use the "correct" format of Dolby Vision are Sony 4k players (which don't automatically detect and activate the Dolby Vision format, you have to manually turn it on and off every time) or the expensive Panasonic's 4k players.
This is why your LG 4k player's Dolby Vision won't work with your Sony television.
Really??? Damn, with all the research I did trying to decide what TV to buy next, I paid zero attention to compatibility! I just assumed since my C9 operated just fine, that this one would too. ASSume right?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Really??? Damn, with all the research I did trying to decide what TV to buy next, I paid zero attention to compatibility! I just assumed since my C9 operated just fine, that this one would too. ASSume right?
Lol, tell me about. I bought the entry-level Panasonic 4k Blu-ray player which still costs $300, and it's their one model that doesn't do Dolby Vision, it does HDR10+ instead. (Which of course the Sony X950H doesn't do)

·
Registered
29 Posts
What Blu-ray player is the best with all the bells an whistles with out spending over 409 dollars on.I do mostly streaming on my x950h but the littlest ones are begging me to get a Blu ray player I would prefer to get a Sony one but doesn’t matter

·
Registered
7 Posts
What Blu-ray player is the best with all the bells an whistles with out spending over 409 dollars on.I do mostly streaming on my x950h but the littlest ones are begging me to get a Blu ray player I would prefer to get a Sony one but doesn’t matter
Maybe UBP-X800M2
Its the one i would get but holding off because still hoping to get a PS5 which also has UHD bluray playback.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The X800M2 would mostly fit your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey guys, quick question for you 950 owners. My 950 just got delivered but I dont get the "Dolby vision" or "HDR" pop up in the top right corner like I did with my C9. How do I check to make sure I'm getting the proper signal?

LG 65"C9/ RTIa9's/ CSIa6/ Yamaha 1060/ Emotiva 2 channel amp/ PSA V3601/ LG 4k Bluray
You can also press “display” button I think it is on remote when watching Netflix and it will say Dolby vision and resolution at bottom center of screen

·
Vendor
27,896 Posts
If it does not matter, get a Sony player. Soun ds to me like you just want it to work :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
SETTINGS/WATCHING TV/EXTERNAL INPUTS/HDMI SIGNAL FORMAT

Keep it on Standard unless you have a 4K device. Mine somehow went to Enhanced on one input and I had no sound from my DVD player.
I have all my devices going to my receiver then one HDMI to the earc input on tv. All devices are 4K except for the one. Should I still set to enhanced? This whole time I have it on standard and aptv4k looks great.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Lol, tell me about. I bought the entry-level Panasonic 4k Blu-ray player which still costs $300, and it's their one model that doesn't do Dolby Vision, it does HDR10+ instead. (Which of course the Sony X950H doesn't do)
So dumb question. I buy the physical media but do not have a 4k player (maybe later when the ps5 comes out). I extract the physical media to my NAS storage saving it as a full .mkv file. So all the content information is there and then use Plex to play from the Nvidia Shield Pro. Will the Sony have issues with Dolby Vision or is what is talked about in this post? Or it doesn't matter because the player is removed and the container has the proper information?

Our LG today does not support HDR or any of this and we have been on the fence about upgrading to this set. I've not read anything that is a road blocker other than the possible dead pixel issue which goes away if I buy it from BB. However, I'd rather support a sponsor here and don't understand how the panel, pixel, and what not work.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So dumb question. I buy the physical media but do not have a 4k player (maybe later when the ps5 comes out). I extract the physical media to my NAS storage saving it as a full .mkv file. So all the content information is there and then use Plex to play from the Nvidia Shield Pro. Will the Sony have issues with Dolby Vision or is what is talked about in this post? Or it doesn't matter because the player is removed and the container has the proper information?

Our LG today does not support HDR or any of this and we have been on the fence about upgrading to this set. I've not read anything that is a road blocker other than the possible dead pixel issue which goes away if I buy it from BB. However, I'd rather support a sponsor here and don't understand how the panel, pixel, and what not work.
Can't help you because I don't view movies like that.(sorry) If it's a movie or TV show I care about, I buy it on 4k Blu-ray disc, otherwise I just stream it from Netflix and Amazon.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Nvidia shield Pro does have the updated Dolby Vision profile that works with Sony TVs, but maybe someone else in the thread can speak to this.

I can tell you from personal experience that I love this TV! I switched over from the new Hisense H9G that is supposed to be a "flagship-killer" but is really a terribly defective TV that Hisense doesn't seem too concerned about fixing. My Sony X950H has been a dream in comparison.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm curious about the shield too. Now that I know that just because its Dolby Vision compatible, it doesn't mean it will communicate with the 950h.

Anyone have a 4k bluray player that is currently working with DV?

LG 65"C9/ RTIa9's/ CSIa6/ Yamaha 1060/ Emotiva 2 channel amp/ PSA V3601/ LG 4k Bluray

·
Registered
120 Posts
Can't help you because I don't view movies like that.(sorry) If it's a movie or TV show I care about, I buy it on 4k Blu-ray disc, otherwise I just stream it from Netflix and Amazon.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Nvidia shield Pro does have the updated Dolby Vision profile that works with Sony TVs, but maybe someone else in the thread can speak to this.

I can tell you from personal experience that I love this TV! I switched over from the new Hisense H9G that is supposed to be a "flagship-killer" but is really a terribly defective TV that Hisense doesn't seem to concerned about fixing. My Sony X950H has been a dream in comparison.
Thank you for the reply. Appreciate it. We have narrowed it down to this set for sure in either the 75 or 85 version. We have the 79" older LG so it fits in the space. If I go with the 75 I can buy the Denon 4700 AVR if I go with the 85 then I just wait a few months for the AVR. I've enjoyed this thread and the TV seems like a solid unit over all compared to the OLED.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone! I have a 85XH9505. It has some clouding and one stucked blue colored pixel which is visible on a black screen. I can live with it.
Also it has a vertical line on the center of the screen. Looks like some of filters made of 2 equal pieces. It's not visible from 2 meters distance but I can easily see this thin line on some bright static images when I coming closer to the screen.
Has anyone the same line on the center of the screen? Is it OK? Is it a specific of a technology for big screens? This is my first TV in 9 years and I've never used anything bigger than 55".
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi everyone! I have a 85XH9505. It has some clouding and one stucked blue colored pixel which is visible on a black screen. I can live with it.
Also it has a vertical line on the center of the screen. Looks like some of filters made of 2 equal pieces. It's not visible from 2 meters distance but I can easily see this thin line on some bright static images when I coming closer to the screen.
Has anyone the same line on the center of the screen? Is it OK? Is it a specific of a technology for big screens? This is my first TV in 9 years and I've never used anything bigger than 55".
Thank you in advance!
I had 4 85” 900h’s that all had that center line. I switched to an 85” 950h and do not have the line. I would exchange it. I’ve only read about 1 or 2 other 950h owners complaining about the center line here, so it doesn’t seem as common as on the 900h. I do have a little bit of clouding on 950h. No DSE or stuck pixels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1601 - 1620 of 2031 Posts