AVS Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 2044 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have seen many plasma owners out there liking the 900H / 950H. majority of TV watching is at night, so I would not worry so much about daytime viewing unless you watch a lot of TV in the day. All TV's perform bad in sunlight, sure some may do a tad better, but not much. Burn in happens, but is rare and ever rarer on a 77". What size you looking for?
Thanks, CLE. I like them too. The picture seemed a bit more natural compared to the Samsung. I'm looking at 65 for size. I've watched all three (including the A8H ) in the store....all, of course, look great on the demos and i doubt i'd be unhappy with any of the three coming for a 10 year old TV. I feel pretty confident that the burn-in is low probability, but i watch a lot of CNBC and ESPN. Though post-pandemic viewing will be nearly all at night.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stevie: I didn’t mean to suggest that OLED’s were immune to burn-in issues. My comment was simply that burn-in risk of OLED today is likely much less than it was with the 2011 plasma tv that the poster is looking to replace. The early generation plasmas were especially prone to burn-in. The newer (and higher end) OLED TV’s do have some built-in protection schemes that help to reduce the risk. While I don’t know this for sure, I suspect that the OLED antI burn-in tech that is incorporated into the newer higher-end OLED TV’s is more sophisticated than what may be employed in the cell phone industry, not that the tech guarantees against burn-in in all cases.
Yeah it's interesting. Never once thought about burn-in on my current set. Ignorance is bliss I guess. 10 years and nothing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 65" and experiencing something strange. Especially in sports like soccer when the camera moves quickly but also in movies it seems like banding or dse. In soccer the pitch seems blotchy and blurred especially in movement. It's strange because I did grey uniformity and banding tests and they came out pretty good. Anyone has this?

·
Vendor
27,910 Posts
Thanks, CLE. I like them too. The picture seemed a bit more natural compared to the Samsung. I'm looking at 65 for size. I've watched all three (including the A8H) in the store....all, of course, look great on the demos and i doubt i'd be unhappy with any of the three coming for a 10 year old TV. I feel pretty confident that the burn-in is low probability, but i watch a lot of CNBC and ESPN. Though post-pandemic viewing will be nearly all at night.
Well you only live once ;)
Yeah it's interesting. Never once thought about burn-in on my current set. Ignorance is bliss I guess. 10 years and nothing.
Burn in is rare.........

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The amber led light is on for Google mic detection on my 55X950H. In the settings it shows that its on the off position. I rebooted the tv and the led light is still on. Is there another way to turn it off or is it a glitch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
White screen- discoloration:
I just unboxed my 85" X950H. In general - amazing picture, however, I noticed a mild greenish (or bluish-green) discoloration (like clouds) in the periphery while watching scenes with lots of white background. I tested the screen with a pure white screen from the youtube and there are mild greenish discoloration towards the sides except the bottom. Is this a normal screen effect? (please see the attached pics - right border) are there any settings to minimize this?
This is not very apparent most of the time and but the green hue is visible for scenes with predominant white background in the periphery.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
White screen- discoloration:
I just unboxed my 85" X950H. In general - amazing picture, however, I noticed a mild greenish (or bluish-green) discoloration (like clouds) in the periphery while watching scenes with lots of white background. I tested the screen with a pure white screen from the youtube and there are mild greenish discoloration towards the sides except the bottom. Is this a normal screen effect? (please see the attached pics - right border) are there any settings to minimize this?
This is not very apparent most of the time and but the green hue is visible for scenes with predominant white background in the periphery.
My 55" does not have that...I would exchange that one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever got Dolby Vision to work on the native apps like Youtube and Vudu? I played multiple 4K Youtube videos that display Dolby Vision on the title, but when it actually plays normal HDR, which is too dim for my liking, unless i max out brightness, contrast, gamma and etc on Custom mode. There's no option to select Dolby Vision Bright/Dark/Vivid on Youtube and Vudu.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 55" does not have that...I would exchange that one.
Thank you StevieBats.
I just emailed the store...
Is there any screen diagnostic tool built-in to the TV to check if this is a screen defect? Do you think this could be fixed /minimized by changing some picture setting.
It's a big hassle to box and return an 85" TV:(

·
Registered
263 Posts
Does it look like HDR is enabled? You can tell the difference very quickly. To test use the Netflix app on the TV. Lost in Space is a very good test case. If this 950H did do HDR in standard it would be the first Sony set to do so. What you see with Netflix resolution is what the program is telling it. You need to go into the picture menu system to see if HDR is on or not.
Yep HDR is on in menu system. Standard does pass Dolby Vision 4:4:4. Confirmed with Sony chat too. Weird but it does.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
@Ax130black. YT does not support DV, but rather only HDR (titles can say whatever is input by the uploader, but the HDR "badge" will show when the video supports it). Sorry, I haven't tried VUDU.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, I just got my sony x950h and I noticed that whenever I put the tv to sleep, it will somehow later wakes up for a few second, thus turn on the external drive that I leave plugged into the tv. I do a research and it seems like a lot of people have the same problem like this with their bias lighting. My question is does this behavior reduce the tv lifetime, will it damage the power supply or mobo later?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Has anyone figured out why some of us have lost the ability to assign apps to inputs? Has anyone heard from SONY at all?

I asked on SONY's useless support forum "why don't you answer questions?" and they deactivated my account before I knew what was happening. Seriously SONY? Censorship?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys...
This is my first FALD TV (85" 950H) and I understand that it is normal to have some corner vignetting, however I have a small cloudy area on the upper edge towards the middle (please see the pic- marked area). Is this normal or within normal 'expectation' of X950H? It goes mostly unnoticed in normal viewing unless i look for it....meanwhile I am still waiting to hear from the dealer about a greenish hue on white screen (along the edges).
Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi everyone, I just got my sony x950h and I noticed that whenever I put the tv to sleep, it will somehow later wakes up for a few second, thus turn on the external drive that I leave plugged into the tv. I do a research and it seems like a lot of people have the same problem like this with their bias lighting. My question is does this behavior reduce the tv lifetime, will it damage the power supply or mobo later?
This may be related...

All of my Sony TVs (since 2017) wake up when connected to any of my AV receivers. Someone a while back mentioned this may be caused when the "automatically check for updates" option is enabled on Sony TVs.

This was especially annoying when the Sony TV would randomly turn on in the middle of the night and my receiver would wake up making the "click" sound. After several wakes and wondering if it was a mouse, a burglar or the TV, I ended up moving the Sony to the living room and the LG OLED to the bedroom.

None of my My LG, Vizio or Samsung TVs have this periodic "wake up issue"; Only the Sonys do it.

Reactions: SetsunaTenma

·
Registered
663 Posts
I just saw a video that showed the 900h got TV led Dolby Vision. Still nothing for the 950h!! I’ve only owned this tv for a week but I’m wondering if I made a mistake. I really hope that the chipset in the 950h is capable of being updated to allow TV led DV!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just saw a video that showed the 900h got TV led Dolby Vision. Still nothing for the 950h!! I’ve only owned this tv for a week but I’m wondering if I made a mistake. I really hope that the chipset in the 950h is capable of being updated to allow TV led DV!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting...could you explain in exacting detail what this feature would allow us to do?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Interesting...could you explain in exacting detail what this feature would allow us to do?
It would allow 4k Dolby Vison via HDMI from DV compatible 4k bluray players instead of relying on the built in apps. As of now, the only way to do that is by purchasing one of the new "player led" 4k players. I think Sony is the only one going this route.

1661 - 1680 of 2044 Posts