AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
No I have it set to normal. Movie mode the color looks dull and washed out to me.
Unfortunately I agree with you but you can pull the dullnish out a bit.. movie and warm are the most natural for colors on the tcl 5 and 6..... are you talking about sdr (hd) or hdr / Dolby vision ? Run brighter for both modes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unfortunately I agree with you but you can pull the dullnish out a bit.. movie and warm are the most natural for colors on the tcl 5 and 6..... are you talking about sdr (hd) or hdr / Dolby vision ? Run brighter for both modes.
Just HD the red looks over saturated, in Dolby Vision/ HDR it looks pretty good lol

·
Registered
285 Posts
Something else I learned about the tv tonight from watching it and I suspect the series 5 also suffers from this... I’ve seen a few complaints around the net and retailer consumer reviews complain about this, maybe it can be fixed in a firmware update, I’ll get to that at the bottom...

Netflix - the Irishman running in DV. Mind you I sit 13-14 feet or so from a 65”... I was noticing fuzz from the distance, artifacts of some kind... so went up about abs stood about 5 ft away. Geez looked like mosquitos all over the screen... I’ve read the noise reduction on the app does nothing I can confirm it doesn’t I tried all 3 settings. The mosquito artifact was there regardless of the setting...I mean if I was sitting 7-8 ft away this would be districting as f.... so I’m thinking maybe it’s the source material or Netflix bit rate / compression... so I goto Disney plus put on guardians of the galaxy, it’s gone...
Just some normal artifacts you have to stick your face in the screen to see... so input on the last Jedi and boom! They are back.. so I’ve eliminated Netflix and Apple TV as the problem. It’s the source material ok.. but why did it not do it on gog2 ? So I put on soup and other cgi Pixar moves gone... ok it’s defiantly the source so what is this... for the hell of it i out Star Wars back on... check for every setting in the tv picture settings.. nothing for noise reduction anywhere just the app... so for the hell of it I run of cinema mode, still there... try led clarity, does nothing... try motion smoothing it does nothing...

so google tv mosquito effect and get this :

mosquito noise

so it turns out its decompression artifacts and / or Moët noise...

Every tv in this house from a older higher end Sony, the 6 year old Samsung mid level i am replacing, cheap vizio in the game room. old Panasonic plasma. Bedroom 40” Samsung and cheap insignia 40” kids room tv ALL have a MPEG noise reduction setting, along with other noise reduction settings.. every tv here has it set on auto..

So the tcl’s have no option for MPEG noise reduction ? Wtf is that ? and the only noise reduction is for general noise, it’s in a app and doesn’t work anyway... smh...

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Roku based TV's have limited settings, android is ALOT better, but has other trade off's, Does TCL offer firmware updates?, Bb412 i'm sure those mosquito's are from the source not your TV, Streaming services no way offer picture perfect streams, try watching it on the HDR10 enable blu-ray player, your mosquito's flew away

·
Registered
285 Posts
Roku based TV's have limited settings, android is ALOT better, but has other trade off's, Does TCL offer firmware updates?, Bb412 i'm sure those mosquito's are from the source not your TV, Streaming services no way offer picture perfect streams, try watching it on the HDR10 enable blu-ray player, your mosquito's flew away
Oh I know it’s the sources as I stated above, but it’s the content not the actual sources (Netflix and Disney plus)... who watches blu rays anymore ? Everything is steaming now 😏.
But the point was they are decompression artifacts, not every movie or show per streaming hasn it, the tcl has no MPEG noise reduction. To me thats strange, the cheapest of cheap TVs have this option.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Oh I know it’s the sources as I stated above, but it’s the content not the actual sources (Netflix and Disney plus)... who watches blu rays anymore ? Everything is steaming now 😏.
But the point was they are decompression artifacts, not every movie or show per streaming hasn it, the tcl has no MPEG noise reduction. To me thats strange, the cheapest of cheap TVs have this option.
The proper way to watch these streaming services is rip or stream them through something with the power to do a proper upscaling/artifact removal

If you use a modern GPU it and something like Madvr you will clean taht image up as well as it can be.

You're paying TCL for the panel not their sub par image algos, let a 3rd party device do that. I do not need my in built crappy processor in my TV doing any work.

I only use the actual roku built into the TV for sports and news.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's exactly what I'm talking about .. blame the great reviews on the uneducated consumer ..
Most of the "review" units were likely hand picked by TCL to make sure they had no issues. This is pretty common. The more I follow this thread which seems to have blow up recently the more angry/disappointed I am that I kept this panel. I might call up Costco and see if there is anyway I can return or exchange it still.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Most of the "review" units were likely hand picked by TCL to make sure they had no issues. This is pretty common. The more I follow this thread which seems to have blow up recently the more angry/disappointed I am that I kept this panel. I might call up Costco and see if there is anyway I can return or exchange it still.
Do you have the same border lines ?

·
Registered
285 Posts
The proper way to watch these streaming services is rip or stream them through something with the power to do a proper upscaling/artifact removal

If you use a modern GPU it and something like Madvr you will clean taht image up as well as it can be.

You're paying TCL for the panel not their sub par image algos, let a 3rd party device do that. I do not need my in built crappy processor in my TV doing any work.

I only use the actual roku built into the TV for sports and news.
Completely understand where you are coming from, I was once a big Kodi user. With that said, even the cheap insignia we have here has built in MPEG noise reduction that works. One of tcl’s biggest marketing items with these tv’s is roku. With that said why would they not include mpeg noise reduction on the tv knowing damn well 90% of the average consumers would be streaming via the tv ? This is the first tv I’ve seen thet doesn’t have it! At the very least they need to fix the roku app / general noise reduction, maybe if it worked it may help. I looked it up today, the holy grail of TVs (rtings) even says the noise reduction does nothing on the series 5 & 6 turn it off, sadly it does nothing.

I’m defiantly not paying tcl for a panel lol

mom

·
Registered
367 Posts
Completely understand where you are coming from, I was once a big Kodi user. With that said, even the cheap insignia we have here has built in MPEG noise reduction that works. One of tcl’s biggest marketing items with these tv’s is roku. With that said why would they not include mpeg noise reduction on the tv knowing damn well 90% of the average consumers would be streaming via the tv ? This is the first tv I’ve seen thet doesn’t have it! At the very least they need to fix the roku app / general noise reduction, maybe if it worked it may help. I looked it up today, the holy grail of TVs (rtings) even says the noise reduction does nothing on the series 5 & 6 turn it off, sadly it does nothing.

I’m defiantly not paying tcl for a panel lol

mom
Yea you did brah

You certainly didn't buy it for anything else lol

Those results will only line up if you give it very high quality source or process it third party, you know this sounds like. You're not new to this

You bought it for the panel

edit - beyond cherry picked models. which i believe is probably true.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yep you got the border good on the left and right, bottom looks like lots of dse... top seems a bit lighter.. so you don’t have the complete picture frame. But as someone who’s had 3 of these things on 3 weeks, I understand it’s much stronger in person. For some reason, phone cameras (for me) lighten it a little and don’t pick it up properly. How bad is it with normal content ? Both bottom corners are defiantly strong enough to run 3-4 inches up in the screen under normal content. Looks like the top left coming down also is strong enough to effect normal viewing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yea you did brah

You certainly didn't buy it for anything else lol

Those results will only line up if you give it very high quality source or process it third party, you know this sounds like. You're not new to this

You bought it for the panel

edit - beyond cherry picked models. which i believe is probably true.
Correctly I did by it for the panel, after my experiences it was a joke I’m not paying them for (this kind) of panel :) but I also did buy it for the roku... I don’t have the interest to keep up with kodi anymore lol... I honestly really like the roku interface, it’s part of the reason I tried to make the tv work... but you add the bad panels up with no mpeg / noise reduction option it all starts to add up... heck if I got a decent panel I could probably live with some movies having artifact decompression issues but again, it’s advertised as a streaming tv. The average consumer is buying it partially for that reason, why not make sure it has an mpeg option ? Like I said cheap ass insignia TVs have this option..... or fix the roku app noise reduction, maybe it has a codec algorithm in it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it's within 90 days its a breeze to return. If outside of that, I've still seen it done but it takes you staking your case (someone led with the TV was at their second house/cottage and due to lockdown/restrictions they hadn't been able to visit to get and return the TV - YMMV lol...)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep you got the border good on the left and right, bottom looks like lots of dse... top seems a bit lighter.. so you don’t have the complete picture frame. But as someone who’s had 3 of these things on 3 weeks, I understand it’s much stronger in person. For some reason, phone cameras (for me) lighten it a little and don’t pick it up properly. How bad is it with normal content ? Both bottom corners are defiantly strong enough to run 3-4 inches up in the screen under normal content. Looks like the top left coming down also is strong enough to effect normal viewing.
Normal content its not noticeable all the time, usually any solid color I can see it, but mostly a light background is where it stands out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
So after spending 3 weeks with 3 different 65” s535 I figured I would give my final thoughts on the tv for anyone new that comes looking for information. This somewhat “review” is assuming you get a good panel that does not exhibit distracting problems while trying to use the tv.

ultimately for a 65” tv at $629 it’s probably a good deal if you can look past some issues.

The good :
Price
Out of the box color is very good
Roku is a nice interface, probably my favorite at this point
the frame bezels are thin and nice, the tv looks more expensive than it is
the sound is much better than I expected, Theater mode sounds the best and the dialog enhancer seems to help with the voices a center channel would produce.
Contrast is excellent

middle :
SDR brightness is fine regardless of what reviews say and nits measured, sure It could be brighter. But I’m sure it would be fine for everyone watching cable in the day time
sdr (cable) up scaling seems decent.
Local dimming seems decent
Blooming is minimal
Judder removal is mediocre. With cinema mode on to remove it, at times I would still see some on panning shots.
motion handling for sports seemed fine, minor blur here and there nothing to distracting.
The wifi card is mediocre, I have fios gigabit internet. The tv shows signal strength as excellent but it was only pulling down between 60 to 68 (still plenty for steaming) this number was consistent for the 3 weeks I had the tv’s on all 3 different tvs.

Bad :
Image quality is all over the place, I can’t really nail down the problem here. when streaming via native apps some movies (the irshman - Netflix) and the newest 3 Star Wars movies (Disney plus) exhibit awful decompression artifacts/mosquito effect/noise of some kind. It gets very distracting even sitting 14ft away from the 65” version. put on a Pixar movie, it’s crystal clear. lost in space (netflix) pretty clean, guardians of the galaxy 2 (disney plus) pretty clean. All these examples are in the Dolby vision. I constantly checked my internet speeds during this. No issues there. All these examples were done on the same night
HDR/DV you are not experiencing much, the tv just doesn’t get bright enough. The best settings I came up with (at night with no lights on except bias backlighting) was brightest and dv normal mode, dv dark being the most accurate is just to dim. even using normal mode you will find yourself moving the gamma around from 2.0 to 2.4 depending on the movie / show. Ultimately, with dv i ended up with a very good 4k picture that you could get a little pop from special effects
the viewing angles are awful on this tv, worse than typical va panels.
The tv will stutter at times during regular viewing, almost like a video game that drops frames.

no video games were played on the tv so I can’t comment on how it does with that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Collage of my experience with 3 tcl 65” s535 TVs along with an email where they state the roku screen that you can clearly see the yellow brown borders, content tcl created, meets “industry standards” and turn around and blame the content for the yellow/brown haze during game of thrones on content.
Good luck to you if you gamble on this brand!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My final thoughts; I agree Bb412's assessment on this TV that the colours and blacks are great however I didn't notice the decompression artefacts or stutter. Honestly, I'd still have this TV if it did not have this horrible yellow brown framed tinge that is noticeable in too much content. In the end, it doesn't meet my minimum standards for a Budget Bedroom TV, let alone a Main Living Room TV, and thus I returned it and picked up the Hisense 65H8G for about $90 more. The H8G picture isn't perfect and took some playing with settings out of the box, but it's what I expected from a budget buy. And it is rated verry similar or higher than the 5 series, only just being replaced as Best Budget due to slightly higher price. Either way, very close TVs.

Who knows, if I were to wait until later this year to see if they've fixed the issue, I'd likely grab the TCL again - but what's done is done. My parents 4 series last year did not have this issue.

Sorry TCL, but I'm now advising friends who are interested in the 5 or 6 models to be on the lookout for this issue, and demand better.

301 - 320 of 374 Posts