AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not much out there about this tv.
I had the Hisense 50 h8 for a week and while the picture looked great it didn’t always turn on with the remote. The ota tuner wasn’t all that good either. Hopefully some more reviews of this model will be available soon.
My final thoughts; I agree Bb412's assessment on this TV that the colours and blacks are great however I didn't notice the decompression artefacts or stutter. Honestly, I'd still have this TV if it did not have this horrible yellow brown framed tinge that is noticeable in too much content. In the end, it doesn't meet my minimum standards for a Budget Bedroom TV, let alone a Main Living Room TV, and thus I returned it and picked up the Hisense 65H8G for about $90 more. The H8G picture isn't perfect and took some playing with settings out of the box, but it's what I expected from a budget buy. And it is rated verry similar or higher than the 5 series, only just being replaced as Best Budget due to slightly higher price. Either way, very close TVs.

Who knows, if I were to wait until later this year to see if they've fixed the issue, I'd likely grab the TCL again - but what's done is done. My parents 4 series last year did not have this issue.

Sorry TCL, but I'm now advising friends who are interested in the 5 or 6 models to be on the lookout for this issue, and demand better.
[/QUOTE

tcl number 4 arrived today, this will be the last attempt.... it’s unboxed getting it up to get room temp before I even play with it.nrhe one positive to number 4 - it has a build month of nov 2020.... I’ve never seen one on the internet or talking with other previous owners / owners... most people had July-aug-sep builds (as did i)... so we are about to find out about these panels when I turn number 4 on. I really didn’t even want to bother trying a 4th but what the hell I have until the end of the month with the returns...more than likely will end up with x900h when this is all said and done... but in the name of science we will find out shortly was it a bad panel run or is this just the way the series 5 is in the end.

·
Registered
286 Posts
tcl number 4 arrived today, this will be the last attempt.... it’s unboxed getting it up to get room temp before I even play with it.nrhe one positive to number 4 - it has a build month of nov 2020.... I’ve never seen one on the internet or talking with other previous owners / owners... most people had July-aug-sep builds (as did i)... so we are about to find out about these panels when I turn number 4 on. I really didn’t even want to bother trying a 4th but what the hell I have until the end of the month with the returns...more than likely will end up with x900h when this is all said and done... but in the name of science we will find out shortly was it a bad panel run or is this just the way the series 5 is in the end.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tcl number 4 (65”s535)..... this is beyond panel luck lottery at this point. Being a November 2020 build (I would assume this has to be the newest build probably takes a month to ship them over and get them distributed)

Panel 4 is brighter then the first 3 panels for some reason. No YouTube tests, just regular full screen content between game of thrones (1080p) and the Irishmen DV....after 3 hrs or so I put on hockey, watched cable and other movies..

The panel does not have the entire “picture frame” of the big yellowish brown border, if it does unlike panels 1-3 it’s not noticeable under normal content. The bottom and top look fine.... but... the left and right side... well same crap.... and it’s thick....

At this point I’m convinced, it’s by design... probably the lesser panels, the series 6 gets the better panels ? Some say it’s a defect... Rtings email to me says it’s very bad uniformity... I have seen the series 6 (in posts) with the brown borders and my friend exchanged a series 6 with brown sides just like this... but the majority of the brown picture frame panels people complain about I see are definitely on the series 5 more...

the panel looks better on the top and bottom vs 1,2 & 3 it’s still very distracting on the sides.... I’m not going to comment on the vignette because the lines just run into the corners so it’s kind of moot.

At this point, I could not recommend the tcl series 5 to anyone, or tcl in general for 2020 due to them saying content creates the problem...yet their own roku intro video as soon as you setup the tv sticks in right your face with a bright white screen when showing how to use the remote...

Experiment is over - 4tvs, 3 different retailers, 3 made in China, 1 made in Mexico. Build dates of August, September, September and now November. That’s a lot of variables for the panel lottery to get almost identical results. The science points to the manufacture for what ever reason. I’ve never in 25 years of buying TVs have had panels this bad.

·
Registered
286 Posts
After 6 hours of viewing last night, put on a hockey game and it was like running a dse test. At this point I’ve already noticed most of the ugly stuff during regular viewing, so I hit YouTube - just awful, 90% of this garbage shows up under regular viewing....

Panel number 4 -

·
Registered
207 Posts
Bb412, I give you credit for attempting to get a 'great' panel with such zeal God, 4 units...unpacking, repacking and dealing with the store where you purchased the TV.

My panel has a slight tiny brownish 'blur' only on the top corners. No lines or spots, just white. Hardly visible unless I really look at the corners.

Anyway, might still as, like I posted, $600 Stimulus check went in my account last week, so return (Amazon) and get the 6 series. I have until 31st.(y) Doesn't seem like much bad reviews on that thread.

Just such a hassle to dismount and repackage. You must be an expert already.:oops:

Good luck,
Robert

P.S. There will be another check, but for a much greater amount this year!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Bb412, I give you credit for attempting to get a 'great' panel with such zeal God, 4 units...unpacking, repacking and dealing with the store where you purchased the TV.

My panel has a slight tiny brownish 'blur' only on the top corners. No lines or spots, just white. Hardly visible unless I really look at the corners.

Anyway, might still as, like I posted, $600 Stimulus check went in my account last week, so return (Amazon) and get the 6 series. I have until 31st.(y) Doesn't seem like much bad reviews on that thread.

Just such a hassle to dismount and repackage. You must be an expert already.:oops:

Good luck,
Robert

My 2¢: the 5 Series is a nice TV, but the 6 Series is on another level! Specular highlights on the 6 bring HDR movie watching to a new level. Us cool gaming features if you're into that!

Bruce

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
After 6 hours of viewing last night, put on a hockey game and it was like running a dse test. At this point I’ve already noticed most of the ugly stuff during regular viewing, so I hit YouTube - just awful, 90% of this garbage shows up under regular viewing....

Panel number 4 -
View attachment 3076485
I would move in if I were in your shoes. Heck I would have been really annoyed after 1, after 2 I would have moved on from the model and most likely the brand.
Any ideas where you want to go panel wise? Sony Samsung? Another budget brand, Hisense? Or even Vizio maybe?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,406 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
My 2¢: the 5 Series is a nice TV, but the 6 Series is on another level! Specular highlights on the 6 bring HDR movie watching to a new level. Us cool gaming features if you're into that!

Bruce
No gaming for me. Movies, OTA and news. For $200 more, I am deciding.

Robert

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Reactions: gosawx

·
Registered
286 Posts

Good luck,
Robert

I wasn’t trying to get a “great” panel, I was trying to get an acceptable panel, sounds like I would have been happy with the panel you have... number 4 I didn’t really go after, I was done after 3 but with time to kill I said screw it let’s try another.

let me know how the series 6 goes for you!

·
Registered
286 Posts

Bruce
Come on Bruce, you work for tcl ? How can you say that’s nice ? I’m a product rep myself and something like that would not get past our quality control. I understand the algorithms for marketing and the average consumer... It’s not “bad panel” luck... I added in to many variables. This isn’t dse (though all the panels have had that heavy) this is a manufacturing defect or panels that didn’t meet requirements, thus your company puts them into the “cheaper” series 5 that leans more towards the “average” consumer who once they notice it isn’t even going to bother with a return or exchange.

the series 6 is not miles better for us that don’t game on tv’s, in fact that blooming on the series 6 is annoying. The local dimming is also better on the series 5 and the panel doesn’t stutter as much. had you guys upped the brightness on the series 5 and put better panels in them. The series 5 would be the superior Tv for us who don’t plan to game on it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would move in if I were in your shoes. Heck I would have been really annoyed after 1, after 2 I would have moved on from the model and most likely the brand.
Any ideas where you want to go panel wise? Sony Samsung? Another budget brand, Hisense? Or even Vizio maybe?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Probably Sony or Samsung, leaning towards the 900h when it goes on sale in 2 weeks or so.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Who wouldn't .. ??
Someone who has a engineering degree. Was an engineer and now works on the marketing side. Works from home a lot and with covid and the holidays the return windows are much longer. After panel 3 I did the math, i was hoping panel 4 would be better but at this point unless it was the newest build I was expecting it to be the same result. To my surprise it was the newest possible build in na (November). Since the panel was bad, all variables are now covered - it’s a manufacturing problem as I explained to Bruce above... the Chinese are sending off their junk panels in a product line marketed more towards the “average” consumer so to price point... in the store they see the 5 & 6 next to each other and say “hey they look the same I’ll save $300”... theft ? No but it’s a shady as f business practice that no companies in the USA would get away with due to class action laws. You won’t see the “big” name tv makers doing this either, their reputation is to important to their business.

·
Administrator
19,549 Posts
Stop posting about each other or you'll all find yourselves unable to post about anything. Post about televisions. Proofread your posts. If it's about another member, abort it.

Remember where you are please...

Reactions: Bud-man

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think you are honestly gambling with all these cheap Chinese brand televsions. Before I had the TCL which I am now stuck with, costco will not allow me to return, I had a Hisense, it had a very strong smell and made a buzzing noise that was audible from my sofa. Returned that TV, was going to exchange it but the sales person said its common with them and I will likely end up with the same or worse issues. Seems TCL is prone to the same QC issues, I suppose its how they are so much cheaper. My old 4K set which is a Samsung MU8000 has an almost perfect screen, I mean a white screen is actually solid white, no brownspots etc. The menu system is so much smoother end easier to use than the TCL, although the god awful remote is party to blame for this. My next TV will be a proper name brand going forward. TCL, Hisense, etc are not worth the trouble.

·
Super Moderator
18,206 Posts
More off-topic posts removed. Some members have lost access to this thread for the time being.

Discuss the topic and not each other.

Questions or comments? PM me. Don't post those here.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think you are honestly gambling with all these cheap Chinese brand televsions. Before I had the TCL which I am now stuck with, costco will not allow me to return, I had a Hisense, it had a very strong smell and made a buzzing noise that was audible from my sofa. Returned that TV, was going to exchange it but the sales person said its common with them and I will likely end up with the same or worse issues. Seems TCL is prone to the same QC issues, I suppose its how they are so much cheaper. My old 4K set which is a Samsung MU8000 has an almost perfect screen, I mean a white screen is actually solid white, no brownspots etc. The menu system is so much smoother end easier to use than the TCL, although the god awful remote is party to blame for this. My next TV will be a proper name brand going forward. TCL, Hisense, etc are not worth the trouble.
Completely agree, due to what I do for living, that’s why I even tried a 4th panel, I was done after panel 3 but waiting for super bowl prices, why not get a 4th and try to complete the equation... I wanted to know what’s really going on here. I bought two cheap 40” insignia $199 TVs as gifts for people this year. Panels were completely clean and white, all the TVs I’ve purchased my entire life, I’ve never ever seen panels as bad as what tcl is pawning off in the series 5. Like i said, if they were a North American company, there would be re calls, if not class action lawsuits. I have a 5 year old vizio d 40” in the basement in front of a treadmill.... that panel has a little dse under test videos but no yellowish brown borders, jailbars, etc.... vizio was considered the cheap brand back then..... can’t speak about hisense, tcl was my first try with a “good cheap tv”.... I will stick with Sony & Samsung in the future.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Small update that proves my point these issues are a manufacturing defect tcl is pawning off on the average consumer in the series 5 because this year the series 6 is the “flag ship”. I have been been putting a lot of hours on the tv, it going to be here another 2-3 weeks before super bowl sales start. I’ve calibrated the white balance, settled on settings and we are using it. What’s really a shame as you will see In the pictures (outside of the bad panel parts) the color and gradient on the series 5 is better than the series 6 not to mention the local dimming is also better. The hdr logo doesn’t even bloom in a pitch black room. Personally I think tcl nerfed the series 5 to a certain extent. They wanted push “mini led” and capitalize on the new game consoles with the series 6.

Anyway, those bad yellowish/ brown borders all around the panels edge, look what happened to those areas just now, the first 3 TVs / panels never did this.

Well, apparently I can no longer post pictures here, banned or restricted ? Paste doesn’t work...

Hard to explain but the yellowish brown borders now have a black rash under normal content, even dark colors and black! Something gave out in the panel in these areas.... Those areas that mainly effected light color scenes, well it looks like blotches of dead pixels now. Never seen anything like this. I’d love a tc engineer to explain what’s going on here. I guess msg me of you want to see the pictures since it appears I’ve been squelched!

321 - 340 of 374 Posts