AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Private message with mod something glitchy with the forum maybe or operator error... here are the pictures... it’s not content.

This one is harder to see because it’s black on black but you can see it...

so what the hell is this ? It’s clearly in the yellowish/ brown areas that effect light color scenes....I’ve never seen this on a tv... panel coming apart with heat/usage ? The other 3 panels were almost clones of number 4 here... they didn’t do this, they just stayed nasty....

·
Registered
697 Posts
That's just so odd. I have none of that on my 50" model of this tv set. Makes me wonder if most of the issues are all in the larger panels.

·
Registered
286 Posts
That's just so odd. I have none of that on my 50" model of this tv set. Makes me wonder if most of the issues are all in the larger panels.
I’ve thought of this... all 4 of these 65” inch panels the yellowish/ brown picture frame inside the panel - I wonder if that matches up to extending a 55” panel to 65” ? It’s roughly a 2-3” thick line.... one thing that shot that theory down in my head was one of the Best Buy floor models was 55” and had the line up the left side.... what’s funny. If the upload didn’t kill it, look at the color I calibrated on this thing, that’s a 720p cable channel image upscaled to 4k.... like I said above, if the series 5 had better panels and some more overall brightness in hdr - for movies it would be the superior tcl for 2020. The gradient is much better than the series 6 and so is the local dimming for some odd reason - The black crush and blooming the series 6 suffers from is not there.....the 60hz panel doesn’t stutter as much for movies. I honestly think they nerfed the hdr brightness and use the rejected series 6 panels... with no 8 series this year, the 6 is the flagship and they want to push that mini led, vrr etc....

whatever it’s is, I’m convinced they are manufacturing defects. Yours is a 55” ? Would you mind taking some pics of the sides with content That is light colored. Game of thrones season 1 episodes 1 is great for this, the first 10 minutes... when need chips the guys head off the skybox will show everything and anything of there is bad stuff...

Side note - watching football panel 4 has the worse vertical banding of them all, on a punt or a long pass when the camera has to pan fast it comes across as lighter areas that stick out, it’s the clean parts of the screen between the jail bars causing this, the series 6 also suffer this, noticed a few questions about football on their thread. One guy even ask how I just stated it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I’ve thought of this... all 4 of these 65” inch panels the yellowish/ brown picture frame inside the panel - I wonder if that matches up to extending a 55” panel to 65” ? It’s roughly a 2-3” thick line.... one thing that shot that theory down in my head was one of the Best Buy floor models was 55” and had the line up the left side.... what’s funny. If the upload didn’t kill it, look at the color I calibrated on this thing, that’s a 720p cable channel image upscaled to 4k.... like I said above, if the series 5 had better panels and some more overall brightness in hdr - for movies it would be the superior tcl for 2020. The gradient is much better than the series 6 and so is the local dimming for some odd reason - The black crush and blooming the series 6 suffers from is not there.....the 60hz panel doesn’t stutter as much for movies. I honestly think they nerfed the hdr brightness and use the rejected series 6 panels... with no 8 series this year, the 6 is the flagship and they want to push that mini led, vrr etc....

whatever it’s is, I’m convinced they are manufacturing defects. Yours is a 55” ? Would you mind taking some pics of the sides with content That is light colored. Game of thrones season 1 episodes 1 is great for this, the first 10 minutes... when need chips the guys head off the skybox will show everything and anything of there is bad stuff...

Side note - watching football panel 4 has the worse vertical banding of them all, on a punt or a long pass when the camera has to pan fast it comes across as lighter areas that stick out, it’s the clean parts of the screen between the jail bars causing this, the series 6 also suffer this, noticed a few questions about football on their thread. One guy even ask how I just stated it.
I don't have any of those issues with my 6 series except black crush but that is kinda common with all TVs. People are complaining about black crush and elevated blacks with even OLED. I don't have "stutter" with my 6 series either. That is actually a new complaint to be.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't have any of those issues with my 6 series except black crush but that is kinda common with all TVs. People are complaining about black crush and elevated blacks with even OLED. I don't have "stutter" with my 6 series either. That is actually a new complaint to be.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I played with a series 6 before getting the 5 with my buddy, he bought first, ultimately he returned the tv twice once for the brown yellowish stuff and the second time was the weird orbital uniformity I’m seeing posted a lot on the series 6 thread...

Anyways he’s a fellow engineer and more than hobbyist when it comes to a/v. He has the equipment and calibrated his second series 6 tv, I was with him for about 4 hours watching it afterward. the panel stutters, we noticed it a lot. It’s not judder, it’s frame hold time due to the 120hz panel. A quick look to rtings confirmed what we are seeing, they say the hold times are long. We still noticed the color gradient was not all that good and even after a “real” calibration. There was a lot of color banding. Lastly the blooming on the series 6 - after a real calibration and then going one step further and bringing the contrast down a bit the thing still had poor local dimming, noticing blooming in color not just on a black screen.. sure enough when looking at rtings, their numbers agree with everything we were seeing..... since I don’t console game, I picked the 5 to try. I know it’s impossible for a series 6 owner to believe, who after any movie he watches, Has to run to a forum and write “jaw dropping” and “drooling”...do you work for tcl ?

goto ratings and do a comparison with the 5 vs 6 - their numbers show the series 5 beating the 6 in the areas that apply to my usage - Outside of eye burning hdr brightness. To me the hdr brightness could be better on the 5 but after a real calibration and some fine tuning it’s passable. Anyway, yesterday he came over and calibrated panel 4 for me since the tv is going to be here for possibly 2 weeks or so. I had about 60 hours on the tv at this point, he did the calibration I did the fine tuning based on my likes, his words - Christ this thing has much better picture Quality than those series 6’s I had to bad the panels are junk.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Since Amazon will not give me my credits back, will probably keep this panel. Only real annoyance is that in some darker scenes, there is 'wavy lines'. I forgot what it is called. If not for that, no problems.

Just for info SDR/HDR:

Warm
Dark
Movie
Local Contrast- High
Sharpness- 0
Everything else on Default
Everything else- Off

Bb412, in your pics, that is unacceptable!

My 4K 60Hz HDMI cable is coming today. Once I purchase a 4K disk, will post results.

Robert

·
Registered
286 Posts
Since Amazon will not give me my credits back, will probably keep this panel. Only real annoyance is that in some darker scenes, there is 'wavy lines'. I forgot what it is called. If not for that, no problems.

Just for info SDR/HDR:

Warm
Dark
Movie
Local Contrast- High
Sharpness- 0
Everything else on Default
Everything else- Off

Bb412, in your pics, that is unacceptable!

My 4K 60Hz HDMI cable is coming today. Once I purchase a 4K disk, will post results.

Robert
Sorry to hear that, I thought Amazon was suppose to be pretty good with returns ? If your panel is nothing like the 4 i posted along with the 2 Best Buy floor models, you hit the panel lottery big time..what size is your panel ?

·
Registered
150 Posts
If bought from 3rd party seller and not directly from Amazon, then seller can decide if they don't want to offer returns etc.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I thought Amazon was suppose to be pretty good with returns ? If your panel is nothing like the 4 i posted along with the 2 Best Buy floor models, you hit the panel lottery big time..what size is your panel ?
Courtesy credits do not get reinstated, but I always try. Amazon/Costco is the best at returns! Been doing business with them for over 20yrs; I know how it works.😁

Not close to what your panels look like, unless I am blind.

55". Again, June 2020/China

If bought from 3rd party seller and not directly from Amazon, then seller can decide if they don't want to offer returns etc.
Shipped and Sold by Amazon. I never buy from 3rd party sellers except on eBay.

Robert

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey, you guys have 'bleeding' of light when watching in letterbox...just above the on/off/standby light? It's dim but noticeable. Turning on/off the light in Settings does not seem to get rid of it.

After talking to Amazon about the credits, I asked him why Amazon's price for the 6 series is $50 higher than other sellers. 10 minutes later it went from $699 to $649. Amazon always wants to be competitive; good for consumers.(y)

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
207 Posts
Bb412, what is your settings for SDR/HDR/DV on the 5 series? The one's you and your friend (the Pro) calibrated the panel to achieve optimum picture...If you do not mind.

Reading 6 series thread too; getting pretty heated in that thread.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
A couple of questions for anyone out there.. I have the 50s535 and for the most part it's been good/not great. However, I'm having a couple of issues
1) I've tried the Roku App, different settings, but does anyone have a solution for the saturated red(really bright)
2) The other issue which has recently stared is the Roku App(YouTube TV) crashes and restarts the Roku interface
3) I have a TCL Sound bar hooked up to the TCL via HDMI eARC and have noticed the audio just stops. I have to swtich between HDMI1 and back to HDMI eARC for the Audio to resume
Thanks for any help/suggestions

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bb412, what is your settings for SDR/HDR/DV on the 5 series? The one's you and your friend (the Pro) calibrated the panel to achieve optimum picture...If you do not mind.

Reading 6 series thread too; getting pretty heated in that thread.

Thanks,
Robert
Hdr - tv mode is brightest, hdr/dv mode standard... I landed on 19 for sharpness, we pulled the contrast back a little so it doesn’t doesn’t clip but I would not advise this with out equipment. You could try 96-99 and probably be safe but it’s extremely sensitive but you might not even notice the much, it worked better on the 6 to calm the blooming a little. I can’t remember the sdr stuff but I’ll message you it when I get home... I know it’s brightest and movie mode.. sent color up to like 66 it was pretty high 50 was brightness and that proper for the tv.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A couple of questions for anyone out there.. I have the 50s535 and for the most part it's been good/not great. However, I'm having a couple of issues
1) I've tried the Roku App, different settings, but does anyone have a solution for the saturated red(really bright)
2) The other issue which has recently stared is the Roku App(YouTube TV) crashes and restarts the Roku interface
3) I have a TCL Sound bar hooked up to the TCL via HDMI eARC and have noticed the audio just stops. I have to swtich between HDMI1 and back to HDMI eARC for the Audio to resume
Both the series 5 and 6 lean really hard to the red on warm color... first try the iPQ app and see if it cleans up a little...anything between 1.5 and 1.0 is good don’t keep doing it over and over trying to get a better score it will start to draw the red back of you get a decent result. you have to calibrate the tv for real to push it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you put it in movie mode the red calms down a lot but the colors looks washed out a bit..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey, Bd412. I have read your posts in regards to the 5 and 6 Series. Is the 6 really worth about $200 more? I know you are or about to get 2 new 6 series.

Let's put it this way, if your FIRST 5 series had only minor annoyances it was acceptable, would you regret or ponder not getting the 6 series? That's pre or post callibration. What would your friend (the Pro) say?

Only movies, news and OTA. No gaming.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey, Bd412. I have read your posts in regards to the 5 and 6 Series. Is the 6 really worth about $200 more? I know you are or about to get 2 new 6 series.

Let's put it this way, if your FIRST 5 series had only minor annoyances it was acceptable, would you regret or ponder not getting the 6 series? That's pre or post callibration. What would your friend (the Pro) say?

Only movies, news and OTA. No gaming.

Thanks,
Robert
If my first series 5 was a decent panel no I wouldn’t be getting a series 6. The tv is not used for video games, when it comes to movies there are some things the series 5 performs better in. Higher hdr brightness will be a plus though, the series 5 just didn’t have enough to get a complete hdr look, it still looked nice though.

my buddy had two series 6, wasn’t happy with the panels he moved on to the 950.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If my first series 5 was a decent panel no I wouldn’t be getting a series 6. The tv is not used for video games, when it comes to movies there are some things the series 5 performs better in. Higher hdr brightness will be a plus though, the series 5 just didn’t have enough to get a complete hdr look, it still looked nice though.

my buddy had two series 6, wasn’t happy with the panels he moved on to the 950.
Thanks. You were right. Rtings took the 6 series off it's Best Budget TV's and dropped it's Mixed Usage rating. Now has the 5 series for Roku which scores better than the 6 when it comes to movies (8.4 vs 8.0). You're right again.

Ever thought about Hisense?

Oh, I posted the pics you requested on the 6 series thread.

Robert

341 - 360 of 374 Posts