AVS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Just bought the RCA 65 QLED put the legs on it and placed on the floor below the 535, for $200 less I like it, it's brighter and has less SDE, TCL is going back along with the Hisense 9F, for now sick of these problems and will just stick with the cheaper TV till OLED is under a G

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put mine on a center stand also. Works much better to fit it in a smaller tv stand. Also, mine came with a bag over it AND the film.
My TCL 50S533-CA arrived with a white foam bag around it and a rather tacky tape around all edges. No film on the screen that I can see. I'm quite sure the tape would have pulled at a film hard enough to expose its existence. The screen Surface is quite shiny too.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hey all! Not sure if this is the correct TCL thread, but I have to ask. I have a 55" TCL 55S525, and the TV is great for gaming, in terms of input lag. I purchased a Sony Bravia 940D 75 Inch TV waaaay back in 2016, thanks to the sage advice of the people in this forum, and overall it's a great set, BUT ironically enough, given that SONY markets it to gamers and to PS4 owners, the input lag is horrendous for any fast-twitch game. Not so with my 2019-2020 TCL. The Bravia is in the living room, and the TCL is in the bedroom.

Overall, I am very happy with the TCL, but it was NOT an expensive TV. But I noticed something today. Compared to my Bravia, the colors while streaming on the TCL are somewhat washed out. The Bravia is like unbelievable when it comes to vibrancy. I was watching an old show even, not even anything 4K, and I noticed that with Big Bang Theory (to give you a reference point) the Bravia looks almost like 3D! The colors and contrast all look like molten liquid (bad description, I know) almost like they are painted on the screen. Where the TCL looks washed out by comparison to the SONY.

Now if you guys want to make the argument that I paid almost $3K for the Bravia and less than $500 for the TCL, so I need to just shut the hell up and enjoy the TCL for what it is, then fine. Fair enough. I can live with the TCL. It's not like it's bad or anything. LMAO and certainly it's a lot better than the 8 year old 1080p VESA I replaced it with. I just am hoping that even though technically this TCL is a budget model, that it being 3-4 year newer tech would make it at least on par with the Bravia I bought that many years earlier. Again, though, if you want to say that you get what you pay for, I will shut up right now! Because you would be right.

But I am really hoping maybe there are some settings for picture quality. Because while the TV is fine for streaming, nothing is jumping off the screen at me, and the vibrancy is markedly less than the Bravia. Note that I will live with it if I have to, because even with lower level colors and vibcancy, this TCL is a freaking BEAST for gaming! The resonse for fast twitch ganes, even not in gaming mode, is wonderful! So tell me it's a trade off, and I am barking up the wrong tree wanting a Bravia quality picture and colors, and I can live with it.

Thanks all! :)

Reactions: Bud-man

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sorry to bump. I want to see if anyone has an answer to this. lol In my defense, I did wait 2 days.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sorry to bump. I want to see if anyone has an answer to this. lol In my defense, I did wait 2 days.
You have to load the ROKU app on your mobile phone, and advanced picture settings are in that, and you can tweak them manually. OR, if you have an Apple iPhone or Google Pixel phone, you can download a special app from TCL that will take some photos, and automatically (supposedly) adjust the tv for it's best settings. Read back in the thread for that app.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You have to load the ROKU app on your mobile phone, and advanced picture settings are in that, and you can tweak them manually. OR, if you have an Apple iPhone or Google Pixel phone, you can download a special app from TCL that will take some photos, and automatically (supposedly) adjust the tv for it's best settings. Read back in the thread for that app.
Yep! The iPQ mobile app will help dial in your picture:

Automatic Color Calibration Comes to Select TCL TVs With the iPQ Engine App

Plus in the expert picture settings on the Roku Mobile app, you'll get access to things like gamma and Noise reduction to dial things in.

Hope that helps

Bruce

·
Registered
5 Posts
How do you find the blacks in comparison ?
Not quite as black but over all I like the image better. I watch a lot of old B/W movies and I never could get the 5 to my liking.The image was too black, no subtle inbetween.
The HDR is brighter on the 800 and the viewing angles are great.
If I’m watching a crappy 480i ota movie it can provide a decent image.
Games look good with little lag.

I realize this set is another 250 higher but I’m pleased with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not quite as black but over all I like the image better. I watch a lot of old B/W movies and I never could get the 5 to my liking.The image was too black, no subtle inbetween.
The HDR is brighter on the 800 and the viewing angles are great.
If I’m watching a crappy 480i ota movie it can provide a decent image.
Games look good with little lag.

I realize this set is another 250 higher but I’m pleased with it.
Thanks , around the holidays it was priced the same and I should’ve jumped on it then. Always had a Sony and have never been disappointed.
Here’s hoping another sale around the corner.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Returned mine too Sunday, the HDR did not pop like my Hisense 9F and New RCA RTR622 so for $450 I'm keeping the RCA and returning the problem 9F this week

·
Registered
547 Posts
Okay, I did this, but the Roku app on my iPhone only seems to mimic the settings function in the regular remote. Meaning, I am only able to hit the star button, and it takes me to the onboard regular and advanced picture settings, just as I can with the physical remote. I played around with the settings for over an hour on the TV already, with some very limited but mostly unsatisfactory results, before making my first post here. Are you suggesting I do something else? The "Settings" button on the Roku app only takes me to a settings screen that has three dropdown options:

-Remove ad
-Like!
-Send Feedback

Nothing else. Am I missing something?

@gosawx, it appears that the page you linked to is only for Series-6 and Series-8. is there anything for the 5 Series? Again, I have a 55S525, as I stated above.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Okay, I did this, but the Roku app on my iPhone only seems to mimic the settings function in the regular remote. Meaning, I am only able to hit the star button, and it takes me to the onboard regular and advanced picture settings, just as I can with the physical remote. I played around with the settings for over an hour on the TV already, with some very limited but mostly unsatisfactory results, before making my first post here. Are you suggesting I do something else? The "Settings" button on the Roku app only takes me to a settings screen that has three dropdown options:

-Remove ad
-Like!
-Send Feedback

@gosawx, it appears that the page you linked to is only for Series-6 and Series-8. is there anything for the 5 Series? Again, I have a 55S525, as I stated above.
Oops. My bad, as this is the thread for the S535, I didn't look back far enough to see which model you had. Sorry, the iPQ mobile calibration app is not available for the S525 series.

Bruce

·
Registered
731 Posts

-Remove ad
-Like!
-Send Feedback

On your mobile phone using the Roku app as the remote, be on the screen that says "connected" "whatever the name of your tv set is"

See the 3 little dots in the upper right-hand corner of that screen? Click on that. It'll bring up another screen. Then click on: "Expert Picture Settings" and play with them as you will.

·
Registered
547 Posts
On your mobile phone using the Roku app as the remote, be on the screen that says "connected" "whatever the name of your tv set is"

See the 3 little dots in the upper right-hand corner of that screen? Click on that. It'll bring up another screen. Then click on: "Expert Picture Settings" and play with them as you will.
There are no three little dots on the upper right, or anywhere else. The first pic is the main screen of the app and the second is the settings screen, which I get to by hitting "Settings" at the lower right of the screen.

·
Registered
731 Posts
There are no three little dots on the upper right, or anywhere else. The first pic is the main screen of the app and the second is the settings screen, which I get to by hitting "Settings" at the lower right of the screen.

View attachment 3087623 View attachment 3087624
I don't know why, but your phones Roku app is completely different than mine. You'll have to play around and try to find the proper settings menu for you. IF that Roku Remote app is an older one you installed, remove it, and install the latest one. Mine is version: 7.4.0.530284, and has been installed about two months.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

View attachment 3087623 View attachment 3087624
Here's a quick collage of the 4 steps to get there on an android phone hope that helps
Bruce

·
Registered
547 Posts
I don't have that app, @gosawx. There are several TCL apps in iTunes, but I'm not sure which one to downbload. Does your app have a name? Is there a title I should look for in iTunes?

Edit: Okay, apparently I was using the wrong app. Unscrupulous third party app developers made the one I was using look almost exactly like the official app in the iTunes store. I downloaded the correct app, I think. My button layout and screen configuration are different than yours, gosawx. I was able to find the Expert Picture Settings, however. I will dig into this a little later today. Thanks! :)

Reactions: Primestar31
401 - 420 of 465 Posts