AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Okay, so while I am on the subject of this TV and this app, are there any posts or links to some "recommended settings?" I loved using Jerry's settings for my Bravia 940D.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My final thoughts; I agree Bb412's assessment on this TV that the colours and blacks are great however I didn't notice the decompression artefacts or stutter. Honestly, I'd still have this TV if it did not have this horrible yellow brown framed tinge that is noticeable in too much content. In the end, it doesn't meet my minimum standards for a Budget Bedroom TV, let alone a Main Living Room TV, and thus I returned it and picked up the Hisense 65H8G for about $90 more. The H8G picture isn't perfect and took some playing with settings out of the box, but it's what I expected from a budget buy. And it is rated verry similar or higher than the 5 series, only just being replaced as Best Budget due to slightly higher price. Either way, very close TVs.

Who knows, if I were to wait until later this year to see if they've fixed the issue, I'd likely grab the TCL again - but what's done is done. My parents 4 series last year did not have this issue.

Sorry TCL, but I'm now advising friends who are interested in the 5 or 6 models to be on the lookout for this issue, and demand better.
Did your Hisense have any issues with the yellow borders or any other DSE? I have the 533-CA and have the yellow borders. I cant unsee it now. I look for it whenever I’m watching TV. Was thinking if the Hisense doesnt have theses problems, I may return my TCL and get the Hisense. How do they compare colour wise, contrast, and brightness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my 65s535 last week. It was an award from work so it’s not like I got to research it. I could’ve picked something else but I figured it’s 65”, 4K, and should be better than my 50” Kuro. Well, other than hdr content which my Kuro cannot play, the Kuro is superior in almost every other regard. The main thing is watching sports on cable tv. I think it’s because of the upscaling my TCL has to do vs how much upscaling my Kuro had to do, but there is a very brief fuzzy change when scenes switch. Not continuous motion from the same camera, that seems fine, but when they switch from one camera to another. It’s annoying.

One area the TCL outperforms though (again, disregarding hdr content) is screen reflection. The Kuro, being plasma, was horrendous. Very very difficult to watch during the day. This TCL is much better so I can’t complain at all about brightness (or lack thereof). And since I’ve never been able to watch 4K before, I don’t know what I’m missing if this thing isn’t bright enough for hdr.

I am a stickler for accurate color though and Movie mode on normal temperature (warm was too yellow for me), calibrated using the iPQ calibrator, is pretty darn close to my Kuro, which was professionally calibrated. So for that, I’m pleased.

I have the muddy yellow bands around the screen too. Noticed it last night as I was calibrating with the iPQ app. However, it’s not noticeable at all during normal viewing. Even while watching hockey. So, yeah, it’s there but if I don’t see it during everyday use then I don’t care. It’s not like I’m looking for defects though, I’m just trying to enjoy it. So other than the blurry transition from one camera angle to the next,I’m pretty pleased. But again, it was free to me. If I were buying something, I’d be in the market for top of the line so I wouldn’t even have given this set a second thought. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 75" version and just noticed the TV makes a brief high pitched noise at times. It might last a second and it comes up when you open Netflix and the background is all black. Or click home and go to the roku menu. It's a bit annoying since you don't have sound at those times until the Netflix "da dum"

I am on day 15 at best buy and would need to take it off the wall, strap in the the truck, and return it tonight. Unfortunately this just came up last night. I unplugged it overnight to see if it goes away.

Any suggestions before I go through the chore of returning this? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to add I have a TCL 55R613 (55" 6 series) for about 1.5 years. It does not do this.

I'm taking the TV off the wall at lunch and getting it back before 7pm when Best Buy closes. I'd still appreciate any feedback that this is definitely abnormal before I get another one.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Morning gang!

In chatting with our product development team, I'm told some behind-the-scenes stuff took place making is so we shouldn't see any issues with the iPQ Mobile Calibration App crashing. If you run into any issues, PM me your details (model, location, S/N etc) and I'll forward it.

Thanks

Bruce

·
Registered
1 Posts
Morning gang!

In chatting with our product development team, I'm told some behind-the-scenes stuff took place making is so we shouldn't see any issues with the iPQ Mobile Calibration App crashing. If you run into any issues, PM me your details (model, location, S/N etc) and I'll forward it.

Thanks

Bruce

Hey Bruce,

Will the calibration app ever be made compatible with ptheg androids?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hey Bruce,

Will the calibration app ever be made compatible with ptheg androids?
Howdy,

While I have nothing specific now, rest assured that we are working on the iPQ app and may have news to share later this year. Stay tuned...;)

Bruce

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you have more than one Android device try on both. I was able to use the special settings in the Roku app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 5e but not on my Google Pixel 2XL. The iPQ Mobile Calibration App worked on my Pixel didn't try on my Samsung Tab yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got the 43" 5-series in the other day and just mounted it this morning in the bedrooms and spent a bunch of hours watching it. It's a big upgrade from the crappy 40" Vizio I had there before. It definitely doesn't get nearly as bright as my 65" TCL 2020 6-series but since I usually just watch stuff in the dark in the bedroom, it's totally fine. Definitely some DSE but the picture for $300 is quite pleasing. I am noticing the Roku OS is a bit slow with Netflix, which never happens on the 6 series. I may have to get a separate Roku stick for this TV which is annoying.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Got the 43" 5-series in the other day and just mounted it this morning in the bedrooms and spent a bunch of hours watching it. It's a big upgrade from the crappy 40" Vizio I had there before. It definitely doesn't get nearly as bright as my 65" TCL 2020 6-series but since I usually just watch stuff in the dark in the bedroom, it's totally fine. Definitely some DSE but the picture for $300 is quite pleasing. I am noticing the Roku OS is a bit slow with Netflix, which never happens on the 6 series. I may have to get a separate Roku stick for this TV which is annoying.
Yeah, they could have spent another .50 cents, and put in a bit more memory for Roku stuff. I wish there was a microsd slot to add one, like on the Ultra.

·
Registered
39 Posts
after a few days with the 43" 2020 5-series, I saw a bright spot on dark screens appear. Here is a photo, turns out there are four of them, but it was the top right one I spotted. This photo was taken on a black screen but my phone camera turned the background blue. These do not line up at all with where the tv is mounted on the wall (300mm VESA). I did a factory reset and they are all gone now. Anyone else have this experience? I got this from Newegg and threw out the box since the unit worked fine the first few days. Any advice?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had something weird on my 65" the other night. It was like 3 sections just went off and were darker than the sections that were still on sort of like the Claw in the Toronto Raptors/Monster Energy Logos lol. After turning the TV off and back on it went away and hasn't happened again yet?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My dots came back. I contacted Newegg as I am within my 30 day window. But since I threw out the box since I used it for 5 days and it was fine, they won't send me a replacement then have me ship the defective tv to them in the box I get. So I gotta go through TCL. Will see how they treat me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Update on my 43" 5-series. Bruce from TCL saw my post here and gave me an email address to contact, after a couple days they have offered me a new replacement. They will ship me a box with a prepaid label, and will ship out a new tv once they confirm there is no physical damage to my unit. Seems I will be without a bedroom tv for about 12 days unfortunately, but it must be done.

·
Registered
731 Posts
What's the latest firmware version and date people have on this tv? Last month I had to do a factory reset on my 50s535 to get it to download a new one, that wouldn't download by itself for some reason.
Right now I have:

Software Version: 9.4..2
Build: 4188

Is that the latest?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I shipped my defective 5-series last Monday, my new replacement TV is on the truck for delivery today. So 9 days total turnaround time. Now I just need someone to help me put it on the wall mount! First world problems!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need ya'll opinion. Is this DSE worse than normal. I don't really want to send the tv back but idk. I don't want it to get worse over time (if that's a thing). I got the 55 inch variant.

4B1A6F6C-BD72-461E-8A1C-167AF888C6B8.jpeg
6BC60808-9421-4E9E-9EB2-19B3074F972E.jpeg
8AF15888-C1BB-4459-B9F1-5278E107097E.jpeg
42F9C6C4-CA2B-43A4-9708-87E31AADB865.jpeg
43AD466D-EA3D-4025-A1EE-8E01F5AF9F64.jpeg
359B81F6-7F21-45CC-B590-97DD48CFB8C7.jpeg
698FAAB1-2F50-420C-881E-92574FAC8238.jpeg
715EC843-E0B6-4278-B30A-6E7F54AAE0EC.jpeg
887CD6EF-973F-4232-9161-499D68A0EE90.jpeg
86615D85-F9FD-4D63-9E7C-86E0165EFEA8.jpeg
311402AB-0488-4816-99C9-8C910711FB15.jpeg
C0E78C15-7E90-4A2E-95AA-D32871ECB8A5.jpeg
C8D2D012-1AC5-44E6-9E38-127CDAC08DBC.jpeg
C9EFD42F-ABCE-4DEE-A1F5-EEDF99471181.jpeg
D76B5FE1-C9C6-4F93-8319-6350A5169FAA.jpeg
D854B72C-CB37-4BB2-8172-C67997B450D7.jpeg
D917BDFF-F2AF-4EEB-9F35-C124B270AB7A.jpeg
E37FFB74-7909-44B6-AD99-6672420568C8.jpeg
E635A6EA-D3EA-4934-B342-A70F9827FCA4.jpeg
E3784A59-1555-49A8-BD2A-E5AE201E2A40.jpeg
F6366116-8974-45A8-9E6B-A6C0B0ED8E9C.jpeg

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought the DSE on my 6 series was totally acceptable. When I took photos with my pixel 5 it looked much worse. Might be hard to tell from photos. So YMMV or maybe that's just my phone camera, maybe others can chime in.

Anyways my replacement 43" 5 series arrived and this panel definitely looks better than my previous one overall. That includes DSE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought the DSE on my 6 series was totally acceptable. When I took photos with my pixel 5 it looked much worse. Might be hard to tell from photos. So YMMV or maybe that's just my phone camera, maybe others can chime in.

Anyways my replacement 43" 5 series arrived and this panel definitely looks better than my previous one overall. That includes DSE.
I was going to write that my iPad makes it look a little bit worse but thought there was no need for me to state it. Regular viewing/gaming etc has been pretty good though. When an all white screen comes on i go looking for the dse (i can’t help myself lol) but I’m beginning to accept it a little.

421 - 440 of 465 Posts