AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess but these pictures look like you took them with a T-Mobile sidekick. They are really blurry.

for reference this is mine
Lol iPad gen7. Yeah the camera's bad. I think i said in the post afterwards that the camera (at least mine, and the person i replied to as well said the same thing) makes it looks a bit worse than it is. It's hard to figure out actually. In your picture your DSE doesn't look bad imo. The bottom left corner is slightly noticeable, but even your camera probably makes it look worse than what it is. When i go to the same BB homepage from your pic. My tv (outside of the pics i took) it looks similar to yours (maybe even less dse). But i think that's only because it's less noticeable unless the screen is mostly completely white (solid white with little to nothing on screen), plus we have our address bar hiding our top of the screen a bit. My top left corner may be a bit worse.

Crazy thing is, after having the tv for some time now. I hardly notice it anymore. Maybe i've gotten use to it. Everyday viewing has been fine.

Thanks for the reference pic, and sorry for this long reply lol :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I thought the DSE on my 6 series was totally acceptable. When I took photos with my pixel 5 it looked much worse. Might be hard to tell from photos. So YMMV or maybe that's just my phone camera, maybe others can chime in.

Anyways my replacement 43" 5 series arrived and this panel definitely looks better than my previous one overall. That includes DSE.
That’s bad... you have the yellow / brown picture frame along with various dse through out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lol iPad gen7. Yeah the camera's bad. I think i said in the post afterwards that the camera (at least mine, and the person i replied to as well said the same thing) makes it looks a bit worse than it is. It's hard to figure out actually. In your picture your DSE doesn't look bad imo. The bottom left corner is slightly noticeable, but even your camera probably makes it look worse than what it is. When i go to the same BB homepage from your pic. My tv (outside of the pics i took) it looks similar to yours (maybe even less dse). But i think that's only because it's less noticeable unless the screen is mostly completely white (solid white with little to nothing on screen), plus we have our address bar hiding our top of the screen a bit. My top left corner may be a bit worse.

Crazy thing is, after having the tv for some time now. I hardly notice it anymore. Maybe i've gotten use to it. Everyday viewing has been fine.

Thanks for the reference pic, and sorry for this long reply lol :)
yeah the camera picks it up i honestly don't notice it looking at it. And this tv destroys my 2017 TCL P605 it has some serious DSE. This one is in my game room my movie room tv is a LG 55 CX. And it of course destroys all my other tv's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone tell me best settings or ways to get my new tcl 65 in. 5 series 2020 model to be more crisp or clear and better with sports and motion seems like some channels that are hd arent as sharp as should be and have it on led motion and medium motion smoothing also tried the natural cinema not sure which was better and local contrast ive yet to notice difference in high or medium

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My parents' 50-in plasma finally died and I helped them pick out a new TV. It was between the TCL 5-Series, Vizio M7 Quantum, and Hisense H8G. We decided on the TCL and got the 65" at Best Buy.

It has a fair amount of DSE and I could also see some of the yellowish border issue. But that stuff doesn't show up much on actual content and I doubt my parents would ever really notice. (I didn't point it out.)

But what we have noticed are some other problems. On both their old DISH DVR (ViP-722k) and their new Chromecast with Google TV streaming dongle, the sound and picture often get out of sync. This happens about 50% of the time, it seems. See it on both live and recorded TV from DISH as well as multiple streaming apps on Google TV (e.g. HBO Max, Epix, YouTube, etc.). When you first start watching something, the sound may be in sync but then it slips out of sync -- badly, with the sound about 1 second delayed from the picture -- at some point. Pausing and resuming the video stream, or changing channels/apps, or rewinding/FFing often fixes it, at least temporarily.

The other thing I've noticed when streaming on Google TV are weird motion stutters and split-second freezes. I saw them on DISH at first too but that seems to have gone away after turning off all motion processing. I turned off Natural Cinema, Action Smoothing, and LED Motion Clarity on all inputs, but the audio sync issue persists on both DISH and the Chromecast with Google TV, while the latter also has the motion stutter problem. Neither of those devices exhibited any of these problems just a couple weeks ago when they were connected to the old plasma TV before it died. If only one of the two devices was having problems, I would think that maybe the fault was with it. But given that both devices suddenly developed problems, and both have the same audio sync problem, I have to think the fault lies in the new TV.

Has anyone else seen similar issues on their 2020 TCL 5-Series? Any ideas what could be going on here? My guess is that it just has a bad processor or some kind of firmware issue. If it doesn't clear up soon, we'll return the TV to Best Buy, although I'm not sure if we should try another 5-Series or instead switch to either the Vizio or Hisense for a little more money.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Do a new system update. Mine just updated a couple hours ago to version 10, and it's said to be better for audio-sync.
OK, I'll try to walk them through doing an update over the phone. Or hopefully the default setting is that the TV will just update itself soon. Although I honestly can't believe that the lip sync problem they're seeing is a common issue with the TV on Roku OS 9 because if it was, I would think I'd have read something about it before. I read lots of user reviews plus parts of this thread before we purchased it and I don't recall seeing anyone mention it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm new to the forum, so hopefully someone can help or direct me for the correct place to post. I am on my 2nd S535 55". 1st was late last year and out of the box had issues with no signal detected on any of the 3 HDMI inputs from my ATT Uverse cable box. Went thru TCL cust service and swapped cables, swapped ends of cables, changed HDMI input settings, tried a game system for input, and ultimately a factory reset. Nothing worked. The streaming system works fine. Service was sent out with a new input board and it didn't work, original board was reinstalled and put in for replacement TV. Since new unit arrived I have been away for business but my girlfriend indicated that the new unit did work on cable. Just returned and find that the replacement unit has the same issue of no signal on HDMI from cable box.

Is there some mystery to getting the TV to recognize the cable box. Also just replaced the cable box today with a new ATT unit. Same problem. Have taken another small TV and connected to the New box and everything works fine so I know the box is working.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'm new to the forum, so hopefully someone can help or direct me for the correct place to post. I am on my 2nd S535 55". 1st was late last year and out of the box had issues with no signal detected on any of the 3 HDMI inputs from my ATT Uverse cable box. Went thru TCL cust service and swapped cables, swapped ends of cables, changed HDMI input settings, tried a game system for input, and ultimately a factory reset. Nothing worked. The streaming system works fine. Service was sent out with a new input board and it didn't work, original board was reinstalled and put in for replacement TV. Since new unit arrived I have been away for business but my girlfriend indicated that the new unit did work on cable. Just returned and find that the replacement unit has the same issue of no signal on HDMI from cable box.

Is there some mystery to getting the TV to recognize the cable box. Also just replaced the cable box today with a new ATT unit. Same problem. Have taken another small TV and connected to the New box and everything works fine so I know the box is working.

Any help would be appreciated.
Do you have any other devices that you could try connecting to the TV via HDMI, such as a DVD or Bluray player, a video game system, or some kind of streaming box/stick/dongle like a Chromecast or Fire TV? I'm just wondering if anything can be made to work with the TV via HDMI or if it's only a problem of specifically connecting an AT&T Uverse TV box to this TV.

If you read my post above, you'll see that my parents' new 65" S535 is exhibiting certain problems with two different devices connected via HDMI, although they are at least recognized by the TV and playable. I'm wondering if there are widespread issues with this TV's HDMI inputs.

I don't know where you bought your TV from, but be aware that Best Buy has a 365-day return policy for this specific model TV (and maybe all TCL TVs). So if the problem persists, and you happened to buy it from Best Buy, you may just be better off returning it rather than dealing with TCL warranty support again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have tried a X Box with the same result - No signal. The current TV was supplied as a replacement directly from TCL for the first one that had the same problem out of the box. This replacement apparently worked at first but not since I have seen it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have tried a X Box with the same result - No signal. The current TV was supplied as a replacement directly from TCL for the first one that had the same problem out of the box. This replacement apparently worked at first but not since I have seen it.
Try this: HOME-Settings-TV inputs-Select one of them-arrow RIGHT to "HDMI mode" = Whatever it's set to (likely "Auto") try one of the other two choices "HDMI 1.4" or "HDMI 2.0".

Then, restart the tv set, and see if it now works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Much - but as the saying goes - been there done that. A little more investigation. It seems to be centered around the main Uverse Box that has the DVR capability and is wired to the home network. This is the box that has just been replaced from ATT. I took one of the wireless cisco cable boxes down from another TV and connected it, and the TCL TV sees their signal on the HDMI. Just seems to be that type or brand of Box that ATT is using for the main unit

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks Much - but as the saying goes - been there done that. A little more investigation. It seems to be centered around the main Uverse Box that has the DVR capability and is wired to the home network. This is the box that has just been replaced from ATT. I took one of the wireless cisco cable boxes down from another TV and connected it, and the TCL TV sees their signal on the HDMI. Just seems to be that type or brand of Box that ATT is using for the main unit
Can you get into the secret settings menu on that Uverse box, and see what settings they have for HDMI? They usually have a settings menu you can Google how to get into.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
But the TV can't see the Xbox either. So it isn't only the main Uverse TV box that's problematic. If it was my TV, I'd return it if I could, or file another warranty claim with TCL.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'd be tempted to try a factory reset first, then a new setup. I've done that once with my 50" model, and it fixed some things,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Primestar31 - any idea on how to access the secret settings menu on Uverse Box? It certainly seems like some issue with the TV and cable box not "handshaking" correctly, or conflict with HDMI modes. I have done a factory reset, but it didn't fix the conflict.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Primestar31 - any idea on how to access the secret settings menu on Uverse Box? It certainly seems like some issue with the TV and cable box not "handshaking" correctly, or conflict with HDMI modes. I have done a factory reset, but it didn't fix the conflict.
No I don't, sorry. Google the model number of the box, and search for 'Service Menu'. It's usually some combination of power cycling the box, and hitting a button on the front right afterwards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the 50" of the TCL 5 series coming today and I'm scared after reading some of this thread. I guess I can return it to walmart if there's issues.

441 - 460 of 465 Posts