AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Can anyone confirm if HDR works with the Amazon Prime built in app? Also anyone with an Apple TV confirm my other issue above?
This is mine. I upped the contrast so it looks a bit worse than it is but its noticeable for sure.
I guess my answer is OBE for you, so for anyone else I put "The Tick" on and it displayed "HDR" on the screen and the settings menu.

v/r,
C-F

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think this "yellow haze" on the 5 series is a common issue. I have it on mine (going to return it). I would say that most users are not going to notice it, or accept it as it doesn't really show up on normal content (unless it's white/light grey). I picked up a 6 series, and it is perfect.

Apparently the HDR on Prime has now been fixed (atleast that is what they are reporting in the 6 series thread).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Can anyone confirm when the 75 inch in this line is going to hit Best Buy's?

I have the 2018 6 series 65 inch. I'm looking to upgrade size for a sports/gaming room (not my main movie room)...but I want that 75 inch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone I just got my 65 inch S535 and having an issue, I think it's dirty screen effect or DSE for short. Screen is like dark brownish color on all 4 corners and all across the top and sides is brownish color. Almost like a pretty gross brown picture frame when you throw up a pure white image. I can also see it on 80% of stuff I view. The tv had 2 foam things taped to both sides and all sides had like some kind of harder plastic peel like packing tape that was on the screen itself and the sides. Thought this was hurting tv honestly when peeling off because it was a lot harder than regular scratch resistant shipping stuff but was on the screen so had to come off. I could see the liquid crystal or whatever when I peeled it. Take a look at my screen and let me know what you think. I bought it on Amazon and don't drive it would just be a hassle to return it. View attachment 3032810
I have the 55” version and noticed this on my tv also. I haven’t bought a new tv in 10 years or so, so I was not sure if this was to be expected, or if this is something I should return. I’ve also noticed the bottom corners are bright especially in the home minute with the red background. The tv overall is beautiful, maybe I’m nitpicking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can see a little dirt in the corners on a white background.Other than that I can’t see it.
Over all I’m pleased with it.
Love the color and the price.

·
Registered
829 Posts
For those reporting yellow areas, keep in mind the factory "warm" temp is around 6K (my baseline 10-pt check confirmed this) which will definitely exacerbate this kind of thing. I just did a full grayscale cal (MUCH more on this later...) and got it closer to D65. Still have some but only really noticeable at 90% and higher. During normal viewing it shouldn't be a concern, especially for the non-critical viewer like my MIL, except during very specific (uniformly bright) program material so I'm not too worried.

I can also confirm HDR mode does work from the Amazon Prime Video app based on a quick check of an episode from The Grand Tour.

Bottom line so far is not too keen on the Roku OS (from a display management perspective) but for a $400 set (bought the 50") I'm pretty darn impressed.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Liking Roku even less. Netflix won't install despite selecting it during device setup which I did multiple times with no success. Support was no help, after 15 minutes said "we'll look into it.". Many reboots, power cycles, software checks, and even deleted other apps in case it was a space issue. Nope. All other apps install and run fine, its just Netflix which downloads and then fails saying "Can't install Netflix". Tried every solution I could find short of "factory reset" which many also claim didn't work, anyway.

This is totally unacceptable even if its temporary. I thought this was supposed to be a "polished, mature streaming OS". Apparently not. And I thought Tivo was bad now, yikes.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Liking Roku even less. Netflix won't install despite selecting it during device setup which I did multiple times with no success. Support was no help, after 15 minutes said "we'll look into it.". Many reboots, power cycles, software checks, and even deleted other apps in case it was a space issue. Nope. All other apps install and run fine, its just Netflix which downloads and then fails saying "Can't install Netflix". Tried every solution I could find short of "factory reset" which many also claim didn't work, anyway.

This is totally unacceptable even if its temporary. I thought this was supposed to be a "polished, mature streaming OS". Apparently not. And I thought Tivo was bad now, yikes.

Chack your Private Message 👍

·
Registered
16,176 Posts
Trying to decide on the 75" model .. any user experiences .. ?? thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
So I bought a 50S535 a few months ago to replace a secondary screen in the house. My biggest issue with that set is the, aforementioned, dirty-screen effect. Didn't bother me too much so I was fine with it. Based on the 50" I decided to go for the 65" version for my main screen. That's when I discovered the most inexplicable thing I've come across in a while. I don't have an ARC capable AVR so I send audio from my PC, cable STB and the baked-in Roku apps to my AVR via optical out from the TV. Imagine my surprise to discover that if you have the TVs speakers enabled, the optical output from the Tv is 2ch only. Once you disable the speakers whatever format you choose (source dependant) is sent through the TOSLink. That would be fine if I was the only person who was ever going to use this TV but I'm not. It's already lead to several "the TV speakers aren't working" calls from family members who are using the set. ...because I was using the set the night before and neglected to re-enable the TV speakers when I was done. I'm not going to be replacing my AVR until the HDMI 2.1 4k/120 issue is resolved so this could be a problem for quite a while.

EDIT: For reference, optical passthrough worked fine on the 8 year old Mitsu DLP I just demoted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
very disappointed with this TV and am returning it. After a fair amount of research, I expected this to be better — or at least as good! — as my run of the mill LG that I bought two years ago at a Black Friday sale. This TV is located in my main floor family room, which has a lot of light (as does the room with the LG) but the picture doesn’t pop — it is as if they scrimped on the power. If I watch it straight on, it looks a little better, but from a slight angle, 10 feet away, flesh tones turn towards pasty blue/gray. Called TCL and tried everything they suggested over the course of 60-90 minutes and got nowhere. Back in the box it goes. Sigh.

·
Registered
16,176 Posts
very disappointed with this TV and am returning it. After a fair amount of research, I expected this to be better — or at least as good! — as my run of the mill LG that I bought two years ago at a Black Friday sale. This TV is located in my main floor family room, which has a lot of light (as does the room with the LG) but the picture doesn’t pop — it is as if they scrimped on the power. If I watch it straight on, it looks a little better, but from a slight angle, 10 feet away, flesh tones turn towards pasty blue/gray. Called TCL and tried everything they suggested over the course of 60-90 minutes and got nowhere. Back in the box it goes. Sigh.
It's a VA panel, thus, poor viewing angles ..

Reactions: Hetfieldjames

·
Registered
67 Posts
If viewing angles are really that important to you, then you're going to have to settle for either an IPS display from LG or Sony's lower lines and deal with the terrible contrast, or pony up for a Samsung Q90T which has a special coating that makes the angles a bit better. Or an OLED, but since you have a ton of light that's kinda out. But asking a budget set to give great viewing angles 10 feet out in a bright room, I mean it kinda sounds like you're setup to be disappointed. Might want to save some more money and put down for a higher end unit that can power through those conditions.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

I had the Netflix bug, but Factory Reset worked for me. EDIT: I think I had already deleted a whole bunch of channels and only picked Netflix when setting up, figuring that I could install the others later.

I feel your pain - I was pretty hot while working on it though, since the whole reason we bought it was to watch the British Baking show. (We have a 2yo & a 1 yo, so we didn't even bother setting up the old TV, Roku, Speakers, Sub, etc.)

Well, the other was Roku built in so there are less things for them to identify, target, and figure out how to unplug (and hopes of avoiding HDMI handshake/cable issues).

v/r,
C-F

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
So I bought a 50S535 a few months ago to replace a secondary screen in the house. My biggest issue with that set is the, aforementioned, dirty-screen effect. Didn't bother me too much so I was fine with it. Based on the 50" I decided to go for the 65" version for my main screen. That's when I discovered the most inexplicable thing I've come across in a while. I don't have an ARC capable AVR so I send audio from my PC, cable STB and the baked-in Roku apps to my AVR via optical out from the TV. Imagine my surprise to discover that if you have the TVs speakers enabled, the optical output from the Tv is 2ch only. Once you disable the speakers whatever format you choose (source dependant) is sent through the TOSLink. That would be fine if I was the only person who was ever going to use this TV but I'm not. It's already lead to several "the TV speakers aren't working" calls from family members who are using the set. ...because I was using the set the night before and neglected to re-enable the TV speakers when I was done. I'm not going to be replacing my AVR until the HDMI 2.1 4k/120 issue is resolved so this could be a problem for quite a while.

EDIT: For reference, optical passthrough worked fine on the 8 year old Mitsu DLP I just demoted.
Since my original plan was to use optical, I looked at this last night. There was a setting to lock the optical onto Dolby Digital/DTS, but at least one person said it created hiccups on DD+ material. TCL Roku TV - Optical Audio Passthrough

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dont blame the Tv! U should of done more research!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Since my original plan was to use optical, I looked at this last night. There was a setting to lock the optical onto Dolby Digital/DTS, but at least one person said it created hiccups on DD+ material. TCL Roku TV - Optical Audio Passthrough
You can lock the output to a format (DD, DD+, Direct) but that only takes effect when you disable the internal speakers on the set. If the speakers are enabled it down-mixes everything to stereo. It also doesn't play nice with Windows 10. The only available output option from Windows is 2-ch. Not a deal-breaker but very, very, annoying.

EDIT: From just glancing at the link you posted; that's an older TV. Maybe TCL/Roku's solution to that problem created the current issue.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You can lock the output to a format (DD, DD+, Direct) but that only takes effect when you disable the internal speakers on the set. If the speakers are enabled it down-mixes everything to stereo. It also doesn't play nice with Windows 10. The only available output option from Windows is 2-ch. Not a deal-breaker but very, very, annoying.

EDIT: From just glancing at the link you posted; that's an older TV. Maybe TCL/Roku's solution to that problem created the current issue.
Well, rats.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts