AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
16,415 Posts
Still wondering if there is any user feedback on the 75" model ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I noticed the settings menu, "*" button looked different. Guess I got the 9.4 roku update. Not sure what else is different. There was no message or anything that it updated however.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can lock the output to a format (DD, DD+, Direct) but that only takes effect when you disable the internal speakers on the set. If the speakers are enabled it down-mixes everything to stereo. It also doesn't play nice with Windows 10. The only available output option from Windows is 2-ch. Not a deal-breaker but very, very, annoying.

EDIT: From just glancing at the link you posted; that's an older TV. Maybe TCL/Roku's solution to that problem created the current issue.
Another issue with using the optical output on this TV is that the audio "auto-passthrough" mode to automatically pass PCM-Stereo, Dolby Digital or DTS to the audio receiver (depending on source material) only works over HDMI ARC/eARC. With an optical connection, this setting outputs all source audio as PCM-Stereo.

Using the optical connection, I need to manually switch the audio setting to "Dolby Digital" to get a 5.1-signal from 5.1 sources such as Netflix, and switch back to "PCM-Stereo" to get a 2-channel signal from 2-channel sources such as YouTube. If I leave the "Dolby Digital" setting selected for 2-channel sources, the Roku TV will output a Dolby Digital signal with sound only to the front speakers, and an "empty" sound signal to the other speakers, which means that the receiver cannot detect a stereo signal and upmix it to 5.1 using Dolby Pro Logic II.

Just a warning to other people if you are considering this TV and this would bother you. I also made a feature request on the Roku Community website to fix this, in case anyone wants to add "kudos" the post to bring more attention to the issue: Feature Request: Enable Audio "Auto Passthrough" over Optical (currently only possible over ARC!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the grey uniformity and DSE on my TCL 50s535 normal, or did I get a bad panel? On most of the content I watch it isn't noticeable, but in some games it is visible. It can be distracting in certain content, so I'm wondering if it is worth exchanging. If all of the s535s are like this then I'll probably just keep it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is the grey uniformity and DSE on my TCL 50s535 normal, or did I get a bad panel? On most of the content I watch it isn't noticeable, but in some games it is visible. It can be distracting in certain content, so I'm wondering if it is worth exchanging. If all of the s535s are like this then I'll probably just keep it.
View attachment 3056270 View attachment 3056271
Seems to be the norm honestly. Although you don't appear to have the yellow lines around the edges like I and some others do. I still have a month to return to costco and am debating on doing so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems to be the norm honestly. Although you don't appear to have the yellow lines around the edges like I and some others do. I still have a month to return to costco and am debating on doing so.
Awesome, thanks! Overall I’m happy with the TV, but I just wanted to make sure my panel was okay before falling outside of the return window. I checked for yellow lines using the uniformity video at 100%, and thankfully I don’t see any. Good luck in whatever you decide to do with your TV.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Another issue with using the optical output on this TV is that the audio "auto-passthrough" mode to automatically pass PCM-Stereo, Dolby Digital or DTS to the audio receiver (depending on source material) only works over HDMI ARC/eARC. With an optical connection, this setting outputs all source audio as PCM-Stereo.

Using the optical connection, I need to manually switch the audio setting to "Dolby Digital" to get a 5.1-signal from 5.1 sources such as Netflix, and switch back to "PCM-Stereo" to get a 2-channel signal from 2-channel sources such as YouTube. If I leave the "Dolby Digital" setting selected for 2-channel sources, the Roku TV will output a Dolby Digital signal with sound only to the front speakers, and an "empty" sound signal to the other speakers, which means that the receiver cannot detect a stereo signal and upmix it to 5.1 using Dolby Pro Logic II.

Just a warning to other people if you are considering this TV and this would bother you. I also made a feature request on the Roku Community website to fix this, in case anyone wants to add "kudos" the post to bring more attention to the issue: Feature Request: Enable Audio "Auto Passthrough" over Optical (currently only possible over ARC!)
Here's another annoyance related to this issue. The option to turn of the sets internal speakers isn't a part of the ※ button menu pop-out. That means you have to go out to the home screen to access the setting. If you're using an app when you exit to the home screen that app will be closed. Meaning you have to restart the app and navigate to whatever content you were previously viewing.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've got one of the 50" S535 models coming from Walmart tomorrow, if Fed-Ex doesn't manage to destroy it.

Anybody got any insight into best picture settings I could make? We mostly watch OTA movies, tv shows, and things like that. Nothing too special. I do however watch a lot of old shows. My eyes are sensitive to panel issues if there are any, however, I also had no problems years ago with watching snowy pics on old analog tv, so can deal with some slight issues.

Oh, we do have a TCL 43S421 for our basement, and really like that, just would like a slightly larger model for the living room.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,415 Posts
Here's another annoyance related to this issue. The option to turn of the sets internal speakers isn't a part of the ※ button menu pop-out. That means you have to go out to the home screen to access the setting. If you're using an app when you exit to the home screen that app will be closed. Meaning you have to restart the app and navigate to whatever content you were previously viewing.
I can't remember where on the settings menu it was, but on another ROKU set I have, there is a global setting to automatically turn off the TV speakers when routing thru an AVR ..

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just got the 50 inch Samsung Q60T for our shaded sunroom but have not taken it out of the box because after I got it home was looking at user reviews on Amazon and they were not as good as I expected based on what I thought I knew. I had already checked Rtings and decided to go with the 60T over the TCL 50s535 because of it's higher brightness levels. Now I think I may have made a mistake and may take back the Q60T. However, before I do I would like to know the thoughts of s535 owners on this subject. The TV will just be used for casual cable and streaming app viewing (no games or HT connections). Most important is PQ and easy access to the major streaming apps. I was convinced several days ago that the TCL s535 is the best all-around device for this need but then started reading about its brightness issue (lack of). The Q60T supposedly has 461 nits and was rated 8.0 for SDR and 6.3 HRD. I read someplace that the TCL Series 5 TCL was rated at 300 nits and Rtings has it as 6.1 SDR and 5.1 HDR. However, for overall Movies/TV watching the TCL was rated higher. So, for you TCL Series 5 owners how would you rate the PQ and brightness/contrast levels for my type of viewing? Any thoughts compared to entry-level Q60T would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So I have the 55S535 a LG UP875 4K player and a Yamaha RX-V581 My 4k player goes into the receivers Blu-ray HDMI port the HDMI out goes into the arc port HDMI 4 on the tv. The audio gets out of sync unless i have the TV in game mode. I can't seem to figure it out why it's only in sync in game mode. The receiver is just passing thru the signal no processing. Any suggestions would be helpful. Had this same issue with my TCL 55P605.

·
Registered
57 Posts
New 65" 5 series owner here. Anyone tried viewing photos on a USB stick yet? Wife and I tried last night and even though the pics on the USB are all oriented correctly the tv flipped half the photos 90°, essentially making the photo viewing capabilities of the tv useless.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So I have the 55S535 a LG UP875 4K player and a Yamaha RX-V581 My 4k player goes into the receivers Blu-ray HDMI port the HDMI out goes into the arc port HDMI 4 on the tv. The audio gets out of sync unless i have the TV in game mode. I can't seem to figure it out why it's only in sync in game mode. The receiver is just passing thru the signal no processing. Any suggestions would be helpful. Had this same issue with my TCL 55P605.
so tcl helped me sort this on my receiver i had to turn lipsync on and add the latency that is there without game mode on. lipsync set to 100ms on my receiver for the bluray player and with game mode off and natural cinema mode on it matches perfect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nailed this TV the other day when Amazon finally dropped it in price (but very temporarily).

It's replacing my aging 50" Samsung 8-Series plasma TV...yep, last of a dying breed. That TV has a couple of blacked out lines on the screen, only works in hotel mode (normal mode made it go absolutely bonkers on its own), and video processor is starting to go on the fritz. It was high time to replace it.

I was going to use Rtings' calibration guide as a starting point, would you say that ought to be fine or should I try calibrating it some other way? I think I still have my old Spears & Munsil blu-ray laying around somewhere, but I'm also buying a 4K player and don't know if the old blu-ray would be accurate enough?

Finally, a quick question: it's fine if I plug my player directly into the TV instead of the sound bar, right? I figure it's better if the TV gets its signal directly from the player rather than pass-thru the sound bar. Sound bar has ARC, so I'm not worried about the sound, and it does have a sound delay setting if I need to sync it up.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Nailed this TV the other day when Amazon finally dropped it in price (but very temporarily).

It's replacing my aging 50" Samsung 8-Series plasma TV...yep, last of a dying breed. That TV has a couple of blacked out lines on the screen, only works in hotel mode (normal mode made it go absolutely bonkers on its own), and video processor is starting to go on the fritz. It was high time to replace it.

I was going to use Rtings' calibration guide as a starting point, would you say that ought to be fine or should I try calibrating it some other way? I think I still have my old Spears & Munsil blu-ray laying around somewhere, but I'm also buying a 4K player and don't know if the old blu-ray would be accurate enough?

Finally, a quick question: it's fine if I plug my player directly into the TV instead of the sound bar, right? I figure it's better if the TV gets its signal directly from the player rather than pass-thru the sound bar. Sound bar has ARC, so I'm not worried about the sound, and it does have a sound delay setting if I need to sync it up.
Glad you're excited for your TV! one cool think you can do is use our TCL iPQ mobile calibration app to dial in your picture. Here's an article with some details:. Automatic Color Calibration Comes to Select TCL TVs With the iPQ Engine App

Hope that helps. Enjoy!

Bruce

81 - 100 of 375 Posts