AVS Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 2218 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
So I just installed my bias lighting and didn't know it but the one I bought doesn't get it's power from USB but a power cord into the wall.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would suggest you get one. They arent very expensive to set up. Just make sure to get one with color temperature controls. It really helps with eyestrain and watching in the dark. The lowering of the perceived black levels was a bonus for me. Just make sure that you set up the bias light, THEN calibrate your picture for that light setting.

These are the ones I got. Fully RGB with wifi control. The app comes with color temperature controls and it can link to Amazon Echo for voice control.

So I bought that bias light on Amazon. What is the best way to set it up? Do I put it around the back of the TV so it reflects off the wall behind it? Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't forget you've got the free iPQ Mobile Calibration App you can use to get you a long way towards "calibrated" in about 10 minutes!

Bruce
If you have the right phone.

I hate Apple and the and the Pixels has their own issues, so I'll SOL. 😜

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sure, accessible but don’t work.
There's a recent update to the Roku app in the last couple days. Don't know if it fixes it or not. They were aware of the crashing issue though.

If you go back one version from where you are, though, it works fine. The apk isn't hard to find.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
2,820 Posts
So I bought that bias light on Amazon. What is the best way to set it up? Do I put it around the back of the TV so it reflects off the wall behind it? Thanks
Yes. Put the lights on the back if the tv so that it reflects off the wall behind the tv. Make sure you can do 6500k color temperature and the luminance is not too bright. I usually run mine around 30% which matches pretty closely to the average light output in standard defininition.

Here is a tutorial on installing the lights to the tv and how it should look once installed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
74 pages is a lot to process. Just picked up the 65". Coming from a 65" LGUH8500 this TV is just better in every way. Straight out of the box streaming HDR nature scenes from YT was jaw dropping, almost as good as the CX I was eyeing at Costco! Now I need to find a Pixel so I can run that cal app. What is the oldest model someone has used?

·
Registered
6 Posts
How

Howdy,

What results did you get? (it won't work well with the Samsung). Anything under 3 should be great!

Bruce
Hi, no changes whatsoever- I tried a range of values. I really like tv, so not a huge issue just thought I’d post to see if others had the issue or workaround. I’ll try again this weekend, otherwise I’ll try the calibration app once my iPhone 12 arrives.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not wanting to get my hand slapped but what are the chances this might go on sale by the end of the year? Best Buy is doing a price match guarantee through the end of the year and you can return it through the first week or two of Jan. Something seriously wrong will need to happen for me to want to return this, it's just too good in my eyes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi everyone, I currently just purchased a Hisense H9G, and there are a few issues with it that I cannot get past and am looking to take it back and exchange potentially for the TCL R635. I'm reading through the owner thread to get an idea of how everyone may be liking but, I realize there are some slightly different models within the "6 series" line like the R625 and the R635. If anyone who owns the 635 could help me differentiate the opinions in the thread with giving me their general opinion of the set please? The problems I have with the H9G are it's poor motion handling for panning/fast scenes (very jaggy and using motion smoothing just either introduces too much soap opera effect or blurry movements/artifacts), red ghosting issue, and it does some strange things with certain clothing/fabric which causes flicker. I can't really deal with all these things and I have until tomorrow to do a return per the manager at Best Buy, so I'd like to make a decision on if to try the TCL R635. I'm going back to reading the thread but hoping to get some owner opinions and thoughts, thanks very much!

Edit: I'm getting a Geek Squad calibration done, and I was reading that you need a Google Pixel to be able to change gamma and white balance settings? Does this mean the Geek Squad calibration wouldn't be able to be done without a Pixel device?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi everyone, I currently just purchased a Hisense H9G, and there are a few issues with it that I cannot get past and am looking to take it back and exchange potentially for the TCL R635. I'm reading through the owner thread to get an idea of how everyone may be liking but, I realize there are some slightly different models within the "6 series" line like the R625 and the R635. If anyone who owns the 635 could help me differentiate the opinions in the thread with giving me their general opinion of the set please? The problems I have with the H9G are it's poor motion handling for panning/fast scenes (very jaggy and using motion smoothing just either introduces too much soap opera effect or blurry movements/artifacts), red ghosting issue, and it does some strange things with certain clothing/fabric which causes flicker. I can't really deal with all these things and I have until tomorrow to do a return per the manager at Best Buy, so I'd like to make a decision on if to try the TCL R635. I'm going back to reading the thread but hoping to get some owner opinions and thoughts, thanks very much!

Edit: I'm getting a Geek Squad calibration done, and I was reading that you need a Google Pixel to be able to change gamma and white balance settings? Does this mean the Geek Squad calibration wouldn't be able to be done without a Pixel device?
There's expert settings via the Roku phone app that allow more granular tuning.

The iPQ is a shortcut available on Pixels and iPhones that make the process a lot simpler. You can still calibrate manually as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
@jonbtrini

You can access expert settings from any phone that supports the Roku app on the store. The pixel just has the most compatible camera for the app for the most accurate automatic calibration.
However...

Please don't waste your money relying on Geek Squad for accurate calibration. They'll more than likely leave DE errors over 3.0 on grey's and even worse on color. The IPQ app is probably more accurate then what those fools will achieve. You could just "buy" a pixel phone, use the IPQ app, and return it under policy because you didn't like it...

But truly, anyone interested in display calibration should just buy an i1Display Pro and learn to use HCFR manual calibration. It's the cheapest and easiest beginner route to get accurate color at home without buying expensive packages from Calman etc. Then you can do it for all your sets and friends/family.

·
Registered
98 Posts
@jonbtrini

You can access expert settings from any phone that supports the Roku app on the store. The pixel just has the most compatible camera for the app for the most accurate automatic calibration.
However...

Please don't waste your money relying on Geek Squad for accurate calibration. They'll more than likely leave DE errors over 3.0 on grey's and even worse on color. The IPQ app is probably more accurate then what those fools will achieve. You could just "buy" a pixel phone, use the IPQ app, and return it under policy because you didn't like it...

But truly, anyone interested in display calibration should just buy an i1Display Pro and learn to use HCFR manual calibration. It's the cheapest and easiest beginner route to get accurate color at home without buying expensive packages from Calman etc. Then you can do it for all your sets and friends/family.
Hmmm, my mom has Total Tech Support so it's not really costing me anything to get it done, couldn't I ask to see the readings before and after calibration? Either way, thanks for the advice. Now just waiting to see if I can get some general thoughts on the pros and cons of the 635. I've watched reviews from different sites and most are good, but they were also good for the H9G lol.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Does any body know if I can buy square trade protection plan if I bought from bestbuy. I didn’t have the best experience with geek squad last time and want to try them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does any body know if I can buy square trade protection plan if I bought from bestbuy. I didn’t have the best experience with geek squad last time and want to try them out.

You can buy Upsie's protection plans no matter where you buy your TV. Pretty good prices and protection as you buy direct thru them on the web or app.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I never heard that. That would be super weird considering your bias light is independant of the display.
Weren't there early reports that bias lighting is messing the settings up or something on this TV? I thought I read that early on that it was changing settings which I find very odd but thought I read that.

I have a 2018 R615 and had the bias lighting issue. As some people maybe aware various TCL roku tv's have been having picture issues since 9.3 firmware where it stays in vivid mode despite saying it's in one of the other modes and/or motion smoothing stays on etc. Rebooting usually helps but then comes back. I had these and finally found a tweet on the TCL support feed on twitter saying someone unplugged their usb bias lighting and it went away. I unplugged mine rebooted and have not had the issues come back (still have not replugged it in). Waiting for the new firmware to see if it fixes this. Another poster on the 2018 thread also unplugged his usb but he got the issue back again a few days later he said so it doesn't always resolve for everyone apparently, or it's caused by more than just something plugged into the USB port.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I have a 2018 R615 and had the bias lighting issue. As some people maybe aware various TCL roku tv's have been having picture issues since 9.3 firmware where it stays in vivid mode despite saying it's in one of the other modes and/or motion smoothing stays on etc. Rebooting usually helps but then comes back. I had these and finally found a tweet on the TCL support feed on twitter saying someone unplugged their usb bias lighting and it went away. I unplugged mine rebooted and have not had the issues come back (still have not replugged it in). Waiting for the new firmware to see if it fixes this. Another poster on the 2018 thread also unplugged his usb but he got the issue back again a few days later he said so it doesn't always resolve for everyone apparently, or it's caused by more than just something plugged into the USB port.
I ended up buying by accident one that gets it's power from a power cord instead of USB. Lucky mistake I guess. No issues.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
2,820 Posts
Ah ok. I dont use the USB port.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bit the bullet today, called Best Buy and am exchanging my TCL 635 for the x900h. For me the deal breaker was the local dimming. I watch the tv mostly in a dark and the off angle blooming was just too much to ignore.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Bit the bullet today, called Best Buy and am exchanging my TCL 635 for the x900h. For me the deal breaker was the local dimming. I watch the tv mostly in a dark and the off angle blooming was just too much to ignore.

let us know how it turns out, always heard one of the problems besides banding on the 900h was blooming because their wasn't enough zones

1461 - 1480 of 2218 Posts