AVS Forum banner

1481 - 1500 of 1722 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
let us know how it turns out, always heard one of the problems besides banding on the 900h was blooming because their wasn't enough zones
I will. Worst case I’ll go back to the TCL. There are times this tv wows me but others were it looks terrible. Hoping the Sony is a different experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I will. Worst case I’ll go back to the TCL. There are times this tv wows me but others were it looks terrible. Hoping the Sony is a different experience.

I'm intrigued by the tcl 8 series as well. I want to like the hisense, just can't seem to get their stuff together

·
Registered
9 Posts
@jonbtrini

I just got a 75R635 from BB last weekend. Overall its a wonderful display, colours are great, HDR brightness is eye-searing. There is some motion studdering with slow panning shots, but from what I understand you will get that will all high refresh-rate TVs with motion smoothing disabled. Its because these new TVs refresh so fast for 120HZ that the TV doesn't naturally blur between frames as well. So from what I know, I think you will get this issue with motion smoothing disabled on all modern TVs. I've tried their motion smoothing, on lower-res content I find it good enough, but on 4K content the artifacts are noticeable and I keep it disabled. To be honest, I got used to the studdering on those panning shots because this 75" TV is just so immersive otherwise.

But you will notice blooming if you are looking for it, the blooming is most noticable once you get off-angle even at 15 deg you can notice it, straight on you mostly can't notice the blooming. However in certain dark scenes, for me it was the first action sequence in Black Panther that was the worst, the blooming can get really bad. Hopefully, some of this can be fixed via software. I'm not sure what HDR setting most folks are using, but I found HDR bright kept the most shadow detail (weird), with the room brightness set to dark / darkest.

Overall I dont think you will get much of a better picture then this from other brands, Sony will give you better motion smoothing but you will probably still notice artifacts @ 4K, but they raise their black levels and you don't get the deep black levels as you do on this TV. The only way to get rid of the blooming problems is to by an OLED, and in Canada its ~$1K+ more for a 10" smaller OLED over this TV, I think I'm just going to stick with this and accept the trade-offs it has, its a wonderful TV for the price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Howdy,

There were a few hiccups, but I think it's ok now. I tested mine earlier (8 plus) and it was good. Let me know if you have an issue.
hey @gosawx, I've probably tried to use the calibration app 20+ times over the last week with no luck. Most of the time it won't even load the first image, then if I do get 1 or 2 more it will eventually just stop responding and not load any images (waiting 5+ minutes most times...). Looks like there are lots of bugs to figure out with this app (app store reviews also show these issues), do you know if anyone is working on addressing these issues?

·
Registered
8 Posts
For some reason when watching youtube sdr content on tcl r635 sometimes I am unable to bring up the menu to adjust picture settings. Anybody else having this issue?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
hey @gosawx, I've probably tried to use the calibration app 20+ times over the last week with no luck. Most of the time it won't even load the first image, then if I do get 1 or 2 more it will eventually just stop responding and not load any images (waiting 5+ minutes most times...). Looks like there are lots of bugs to figure out with this app (app store reviews also show these issues), do you know if anyone is working on addressing these issues?
Are you specifically referring to the TCL AiPQ app?
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the 65R635 for about 3 weeks now and when fast forwarding sometimes it will play immediately but most of the time it will buffer for 20-30secs. Disney+, YouTube, YouTube TV, and Netflix all do it. The tv is connected to 5ghz and when I test the connection it averages 50-65mbps. I have an Asus AX3000 router and don't have this issue with any of the Fire TVs including the one connected the tv. Is this happening to anyone else or is this a common thing with the roku. This is my first roku device.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had the 65R635 for about 3 weeks now and when fast forwarding sometimes it will play immediately but most of the time it will buffer for 20-30secs. Disney+, YouTube, YouTube TV, and Netflix all do it. The tv is connected to 5ghz and when I test the connection it averages 50-65mbps. I have an Asus AX3000 router and don't have this issue with any of the Fire TVs including the one connected the tv. Is this happening to anyone else or is this a common thing with the roku. This is my first roku device.
I notice youtube keeps buffering for me whenever I skip forward with the remote. Google tv and fire tv stick have no issues with this. I have definitely noticed the longer buffering and I have hard wired ethernet to tv.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Can you tell me more about the times where it's terrible? What kind of behavior are we talking? I'm possibly going to exchange a tv for this one so trying to get all the info I can about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I notice youtube keeps buffering for me whenever I skip forward with the remote. Google tv and fire tv stick have no issues with this. I have definitely noticed the longer buffering and I have hard wired ethernet to tv.
Thanks for the reply. Good to know you have a wired connection and still have this issue. I was thinking about getting another router to try the asus aiMesh and hardwire the tv to the extra node but haven't looked much into it. Not sure how the aiMesh works

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can you tell me more about the times where it's terrible? What kind of behavior are we talking? I'm possibly going to exchange a tv for this one so trying to get all the info I can about it.
WOWs

-Blinding Bright (mini/micro led is definitely the future of tv)
-Contrast (bright scenes looked amazing and had inky blacks)
-THX Game mode (one of the best experiences I’ve had playing games on a tv. Very responsive and looks buttery smooth.)
-IPQ app ( really did help improve the picture accuracy)

Terrible

-Viewing angels ( color washout, terrible blooming, dark scenes could look very washed out from the blooming)
-TCL QC ( two panels had similar DSE patterns. After two weeks of usage it mostly went away but was still visible. Second panel had one dead pixel when I got it and now multiple pixels are dead.)
-Color Banding. (Low res content it was very noticeable. Some high res content it was visible too. Perfect example is the red background in the snoke throne room scene in the last Jedi.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was surprised this TV wasn't on sale during the October black Friday sales. Can anyone tell me if they expect this tv going on sale? I'm assuming I'm going to need to pay full price?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was surprised this TV wasn't on sale during the October black Friday sales. Can anyone tell me if they expect this tv going on sale? I'm assuming I'm going to need to pay full price?
I wouldn't expect anything until the holidays. It's barely been out 2 months and demand is strong.

That said BB sometimes sends out coupons for a 10 percent discount (there was one for July-Sept), and there's the birthday discount if you have a birthday coming up soon.

I used the 10 percent summer coupon successfully, as did others.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was able to use the calibrator app last night with my 2018 iPad Pro. Process is pretty straight forward. I went from a 2.86 measurement down to a .86. The picture looked pretty good before and it may look slightly better after. I'm still tweaking the backlight level because the TV is very bright! Overall for $900 I am still very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Huh? :unsure:

Black Friday is the day after U.S. Thanksgiving in November. If you mean fake Black Friday sales (Black Friday in July! Black Friday in September! Black Friday in October!) before Thanksgiving, those are just attempts to get you to spend money before the real Black Friday when the REAL deals appear. :sneaky:

There was a "flash" sale back in mid-September where Wal-Mart put this TV on sale for a jaw-dropping price. (See PM I just sent you for that deal, which was a month ago.) A lot of people thought it was a mistake, that Wal-Mart accidentally posted their Black Friday price or even their wholesale cost as the price... but they honored it until they ran out of stock, for both the 65" and 75". Some people even got Best Buy to match via chat until Wal-mart ran out of stock.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Huh? :unsure:

Black Friday is the day after U.S. Thanksgiving in November. If you mean fake Black Friday sales before Thanksgiving, those are just attempts to get you to spend money before the real Black Friday when the REAL deals appear. :sneaky:
I mean...Best Buy had some really good tv deals during their “fake” Black Friday.

1481 - 1500 of 1722 Posts