AVS Forum banner

1501 - 1520 of 1722 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
2 dark shows on Netflix last night looked awesome last night. The haunting of Bly Manor and Ratched. Both are dark most of the show and man the dark scenes looked exuisite. I am shocked by the black levels of this display. I do not notice black crush, I can make out whatever is intended on these dark/black scenes.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Huh? :unsure:

Black Friday is the day after U.S. Thanksgiving in November. If you mean fake Black Friday sales (Black Friday in July! Black Friday in September! Black Friday in October!) before Thanksgiving, those are just attempts to get you to spend money before the real Black Friday when the REAL deals appear. :sneaky:

There was a "flash" sale back in mid-September where Wal-Mart put this TV on sale for a jaw-dropping price. (See PM I just sent you for that deal, which was a month ago.) A lot of people thought it was a mistake, that Wal-Mart accidentally posted their Black Friday price or even their wholesale cost as the price... but they honored it until they ran out of stock, for both the 65" and 75". Some people even got Best Buy to match via chat until Wal-mart ran out of stock.
I was one of the lucky ones that got Best Buy to match that deal. The price was even better than Walmart because BB gave free shipping whilst Walmart charged $45. Do not bother calling BB for a price match, the agents are dummies. Use chat, works much better. Personally I think the price was probably their wholesale cost which should give an indication oft he lowest baseline price

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,504
Here's my final thoughts on this TV since I've now had it for two weeks. Overall, the TCL R635 is a really good TV and I'm completely satisfied with it. I came from the Vizio V-Series V436-G1 from last year which while not bad, it wasn't anything to write home about neither, so I knew this TCL would blow that Vizio out of the water.
Pros:
-Brilliant picture quality overall
-Vibrant beautiful colors
-Deep rich contrast & black levels
-The Roku OS is executed pretty well
-Very good peak brightness
-HDR10, HLG, and Dolby Vision supported
-eARC, ALLM, and VRR supported
-Native 120hz panel
-Decent motion
-Nice build quality
-Acceptable internal TV speakers

Cons:
-Poor viewing angles
-No HDR10+ support, though it may not be a big deal to some people
-No [email protected] support (because of the HDMI 2.0 standard)
-Roku doesn't have HBO Max
-Local dimming is fairly hit and miss, the blooming may annoy some people

Yup, for $650-700, it's hard to find anything better than the TCL 6 series. Maybe I suppose the Hisense H9G comes pretty close, but that one lacks any HDMI 2.1 features and I've heard horror stories about Hisense's QC/QA. I give the TCL R635 a solid 8.5/10. If the local dimming is something TCL can improve on via firmware update, I'll bump up the rating to either 9 or 10. But in the end of the day, I'm happy I went with the TCL 6 series over the competing Hisense H9G and Vizio M-Series Quantum. Oh and I haven't tested the THX Game Mode yet because I'm waiting for the Xbox Series X to get released & I get my hands on one, and I haven't tested the eARC neither because my current AVR doesn't have eARC support, only the regular ARC support.

·
Registered
9 Posts
anyone here do any research on how the 8 series compares to the 6 series
if you are comparing the 2019 8 Series to the 2020 6 Series, from what I've read both panels are very similar. The 2019 8 Series has more local dimming zones and can look a little bit better with less blooming, but there is more black-crush and sounds like more backlighting software bugs: TCL 8 Series Roku TV (2019 Model - 65" &amp...

I'm interested to see what the 2020 8 Series is like if TCL ever launches it...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's my final thoughts on this TV since I've now had it for two weeks. Overall, the TCL R635 is a really good TV and I'm completely satisfied with it. I came from the Vizio V-Series V436-G1 from last year which while not bad, it wasn't anything to write home about neither, so I knew this TCL would blow that Vizio out of the water.
Pros:
-Native 120hz panel
-Decent motion
-Nice build quality

Cons:
-Poor viewing angles

Yup, for $650-700, it's hard to find anything better than the TCL 6 series. Maybe I suppose the Hisense H9G comes pretty close, but that one lacks any HDMI 2.1 features and I've heard horror stories about Hisense's QC/QA. I give the TCL R635 a solid 8.5/10. If the local dimming is something TCL can improve on via firmware update, I'll bump up the rating to either 9 or 10. But in the end of the day, I'm happy I went with the TCL 6 series over the competing Hisense H9G and Vizio M-Series Quantum. Oh and I haven't tested the THX Game Mode yet because I'm waiting for the Xbox Series X to get released & I get my hands on one, and I haven't tested the eARC neither because my current AVR doesn't have eARC support, only the regular ARC support.
Regarding HDR10+. Is this something that a firmware update could address? Or is there much more to it than that? I have a 4K player that supports HDR10+ and not DV. Not the end of the world, just one of those little annoying things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Regarding HDR10+. Is this something that a firmware update could address? Or is there much more to it than that? I have a 4K player that supports HDR10+ and not DV. Not the end of the world, just one of those little annoying things.
I'd say it's probably unlikely we get HDR10+ support, it is more involved than just HDR10 (which is basically just static meta-data that describes the min/max luminance for a file). Where HDR10+ is dynamic meta-data that changes scene-by-scene as Dolby Vision does. So technically it can all be implemented in software but I think it's more likely to be a feature of a future TV.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is there anyway to tell if the TV is in cert. THX mode when playing a game on xbox one X? Is it only available on some games?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Since Best Buy is including this tv in their 'Extended Holiday Return Period' from now through Jan 2, is there any reason to not buy from them now, as you can get a price match after the fact for any black friday etc special/deal?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since Best Buy is including this tv in their 'Extended Holiday Return Period' from now through Jan 2, is there any reason to not buy from them now, as you can get a price match after the fact for any black friday etc special/deal?
That is why I purchased mine from BB.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Pros:
-Native 120hz panel
-Decent motion
-Nice build quality

Cons:
-Poor viewing angles

Hisense is brighter. But not sure that matters much as the TCL is plenty bright for any room type. TCL also has Roku which is worth a lot IMO. I don't think the Vizio M Series is no longer a competitor as they seemed to have dropped that model down to compete with TCL 5 series.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just trying to clarify the HDMI on this tv. I’m not a gamer and it’s something I don’t see myself doing, so are the HDMIs on this tv capable of doing everything I would need them to in the home theater world (audio wise)?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I'd say yes, (without knowing and exact details of your equipment). You can connect via HDMI 4 external sources, get 4K, HDR, and one of those ports has eARC to get the best audio out to an external audio source.

Hope that helps,
Bruce

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd say yes, (without knowing and exact details of your equipment). You can connect via HDMI 4 external sources, get 4K, HDR, and one of those ports has eARC to get the best audio out to an external audio source.

Hope that helps,
Bruce
I suppose that would be helpful. I have an Onkyo TX-NR777 receiver that I run our TiVo cable box and Sony 4K blu-ray player into and then to the tv.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
2,784 Posts
Just trying to clarify the HDMI on this tv. I’m not a gamer and it’s something I don’t see myself doing, so are the HDMIs on this tv capable of doing everything I would need them to in the home theater world (audio wise)?
It can do everything audio-wise. Most of the HDMI 2.1 features are gaming related (VRR, ALLM, 4k/120hz) the main audio related feature is eARC and this tv does have eARC. Also for video you need HDMI 2.1 for 8k/30

Reactions: ChazzMatt

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pros:
-Native 120hz panel
-Decent motion
-Nice build quality

Cons:
-Poor viewing angles

Thanks for this information. I was hoping to get some current impressions/thoughts on the R635 as I'm exchanging an H9G for it on Monday. The H9G has a gorgeous picture, but the red ghosting blur on HDR content makes the set unusable for me, as well as I don't like it's poor handling of motion (very jagged on panning camera shots or left to right movement and vice versa).

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Thanks for this information. I was hoping to get some current impressions/thoughts on the R635 as I'm exchanging an H9G for it on Monday. The H9G has a gorgeous picture, but the red ghosting blur on HDR content makes the set unusable for me, as well as I don't like it's poor handling of motion (very jagged on panning camera shots or left to right movement and vice versa).
My 635 has been absolutely perfect so far. It's exactly what I wanted and needed. I absolutely love it. Once you figure out the settings it's smooth sailing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 635 has been absolutely perfect so far. It's exactly what I wanted and needed. I absolutely love it. Once you figure out the settings it's smooth sailing.

When you say once you figure out the settings, are you referring to using the app to get the picture settings, or are there settings listed somewhere to try? I’m ordering mine tomorrow from BBY since they have extended the return until January.

·
UHD Addict
37,462 Posts
So have people been having issues with Black uniformity or DSE with the 75 inch version of this TV? I've now received my third 8 series set and every one has had issues that I needed to return. So I need to return this third set and think about getting something else. I really liked the 8 series since it got so bright. But I've also been extremely pleased with my 65 inch 2018 6 series.

I suppose now I'm wishing I had gone with the 6 series to begin with. Since I had a 10% off coupon I could have used on it.but at the time then75" 8 series was only $100 more than the 6 series. Which is the big reason I went with the 8 series.

So I need to decide if I will go the 6new 6 series route, get a different brand,, or just wait until sometime next year to see what new things are offered.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S6 Lite Blue

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
When you say once you figure out the settings, are you referring to using the app to get the picture settings, or are there settings listed somewhere to try? I’m ordering mine tomorrow from BBY since they have extended the return until January.
No, not the app. It just depends on what TV you are coming from. The settings are much different than my Sony 900E. It just took me a little while to understand them because they are so different from the Sony. I bought mine at BB, no complaints. Came the day it was supposed to and in the time frame. The box is in perfect condition, not a mark on it. It was a totally clean white box but huge. I have the 75 inch, it's a monster. Light enough my wife and I moved it with no problems.

1501 - 1520 of 1722 Posts