AVS Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 1814 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
So have people been having issues with Black uniformity or DSE with the 75 inch version of this TV? I've now received my third 8 series set and every one has had issues that I needed to return. So I need to return this third set and think about getting something else. I really liked the 8 series since it got so bright. But I've also been extremely pleased with my 65 inch 2018 6 series.

I suppose now I'm wishing I had gone with the 6 series to begin with. Since I had a 10% off coupon I could have used on it.but at the time then75" 8 series was only $100 more than the 6 series. Which is the big reason I went with the 8 series.

So I need to decide if I will go the 6new 6 series route, get a different brand,, or just wait until sometime next year to see what new things are offered.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S6 Lite Blue
I'm not having any issues with mine at all. I mean either they aren't there or my eyes are not keen enough to pick up on them. Dark scenes are absolutely incredible in this TV. Black levels are beyond anything I thought they'd be.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
So have people been having issues with Black uniformity or DSE with the 75 inch version of this TV? I've now received my third 8 series set and every one has had issues that I needed to return. So I need to return this third set and think about getting something else. I really liked the 8 series since it got so bright. But I've also been extremely pleased with my 65 inch 2018 6 series.

I suppose now I'm wishing I had gone with the 6 series to begin with. Since I had a 10% off coupon I could have used on it.but at the time then75" 8 series was only $100 more than the 6 series. Which is the big reason I went with the 8 series.

So I need to decide if I will go the 6new 6 series route, get a different brand,, or just wait until sometime next year to see what new things are offered.

I think you need to try it out yourself. I am not impressed with the black levels at all. Both the 2018 and 2019 model were miles better on my units.

But as I said, you need to experience it yourself to truly know.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Has anyone used the Spears and Munsil ultra hd benchmark disc with this tv, and if so do you think it was worth the $40?
I have the same question, because I was just about to buy it but I can't get an answer on just how hard or a pain in the butt it is is to use or follow.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have the same question, because I was just about to buy it but I can't get an answer on just how hard or a pain in the butt it is is to use or follow.

If nothing else it (the new 4K version ) has some breathtaking demo content. There are TONs of calibration patterns as well, but many are designed to be used in conjunction with equipment and software to professionally calibrate the TV, not necessarily adjusting it by eye, so I'd say it depends on your intent, but for me, yeah, great resource.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
If nothing else it (the new 4K version ) has some breathtaking demo content. There are TONs of calibration patterns as well, but many are designed to be used in conjunction with equipment and software to professionally calibrate the TV, not necessarily adjusting it by eye, so I'd say it depends on your intent, but for me, yeah, great resource.
Oh thanks for the reply. I may buy it at some point but I'm pretty happy with the settings I have now. SDR could be better but for HDR and Dolby Vision I love what I have things at.
I know one thing I'm not getting it pro calibrated. I mean 500-600 bucks for calibration on a TV that costs 1,399 makes zero sense to me. I hear mixed things about BB calibration but that would be ideal for under 200 bucks. I almost want to throw the 200 away just to see what BB does for calibration.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Oh thanks for the reply. I may buy it at some point but I'm pretty happy with the settings I have now. SDR could be better but for HDR and Dolby Vision I love what I have things at.
I know one thing I'm not getting it pro calibrated. I mean 500-600 bucks for calibration on a TV that costs 1,399 makes zero sense to me. I hear mixed things about BB calibration but that would be ideal for under 200 bucks. I almost want to throw the 200 away just to see what BB does for calibration.

Don't forget the iPQ Mobile Calibration App if you haven't tried it!.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Don't forget the iPQ Mobile Calibration App if you haven't tried it!.
I did use it and then turned it off just because I'm using CNETs settings and they made their settings without using the iPQ calibration app. Maybe I'll try it again with the settings from CNET.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So did you use the disc with calibration equipment, and if so what equipment are you using? Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone having issues with the TCL rebooting randomly in the middle of watching something? Has happened to me twice in the last two weeks on my 65R635.

·
Registered
72 Posts

I tried two 75” 6 series before returning and going a different route. First one was the better of the two and should’ve just kept it and not been as picky due to the size and hassle of exchanging these. Both had some pretty good DSE and some unformity issues. First one however color and clarity was great. Second one had some issues that even with a factory reset and running the iPQ app I could not get the picture to not look grainy but it also had a discolored spot in addition to the other items above.
I will say that if I wouldn’t have been picky and stuck with the first set I would probably have been happy with it. But I went down the rabbit hole and the second one was bad enough my wife told me no more playing the lotto (even though all sets really have a lotto) and got the Sony 900h at Costco on the prime day sale. Again, these new six series are a great value and seem really well built with new tech, it just ends up being dependent on how picky you are and how many exchanges on any tv you are willing to make.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I should add I thought black levels were great on the 635 sets. Blooming not an issue on the first set I had.
Should’ve been like my buddy on my first set who doesn’t go to forums and bought an 8 series, mounted it, watches it, loves it, doesn’t look for flaws or analyze things.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anyone having issues with the TCL rebooting randomly in the middle of watching something? Has happened to me twice in the last two weeks on my 65R635.
Yes my set has been doing it . I noticed it’s when I pause and HDR/DV movie using my Apple TV. When I go to resume the movie the Apple TV kicks from the screensavers to the movie and it reboots the tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
As far as firmware on the 635, am I okay to update it when I get the tv? Or is there any reason I shouldn't update it, or a specific fw I should update to?

·
Registered
128 Posts
As far as firmware on the 635, am I okay to update it when I get the tv? Or is there any reason I shouldn't update it, or a specific fw I should update to?
Other than my random restarts and audio sync issues I haven’t had any issues with the roku software. The audio sync ,I don’t think is the tv, I think it may be my Apple TV as it’s the only device I have issues with .

·
Registered
128 Posts
I tried two 75” 6 series before returning and going a different route. First one was the better of the two and should’ve just kept it and not been as picky due to the size and hassle of exchanging these. Both had some pretty good DSE and some unformity issues. First one however color and clarity was great. Second one had some issues that even with a factory reset and running the iPQ app I could not get the picture to not look grainy but it also had a discolored spot in addition to the other items above.
I will say that if I wouldn’t have been picky and stuck with the first set I would probably have been happy with it. But I went down the rabbit hole and the second one was bad enough my wife told me no more playing the lotto (even though all sets really have a lotto) and got the Sony 900h at Costco on the prime day sale. Again, these new six series are a great value and seem really well built with new tech, it just ends up being dependent on how picky you are and how many exchanges on any tv you are willing to make.
What are your thoughts on the 635 vs the 900h

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes my set has been doing it . I noticed it’s when I pause and HDR/DV movie using my Apple TV. When I go to resume the movie the Apple TV kicks from the screensavers to the movie and it reboots the tv.

I read somewhere that someone turned on "quick start" and it apparently resolved this issue. I have turned it on as of today. Will report back in a week or so.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What are your thoughts on the 635 vs the 900h

Both great TVs.

I think the 635 has slightly better blacks and the Mini LED which is cool tech with more zones, iPQ app for tuning, a bit brighter with maybe a little more color “pop.” Also, it is cheaper depending on the time of year/sales.

The 900h has better color accuracy with a more natural picture, better motion, upscaling is better, picture is better out of the box, better shadow detail, better screen uniformity on the specific ones I had (obviously others had better luck), 5 year warranty with Costco/Sams club.

Blooming is about a wash between the two despite the different number of dimming zones. Off axis viewing is similar as well.

A case could be made for either set. I personally prefer the 900h as it just feels “more refined” when watching and I have the peace of mind with the longer warranty, however, I would have been more than happy with my first 635 if I would not have been stupid and started looking for defects/uniformity issues. Now that I have the 900h though I’m keeping it and my wife agrees.

One thing I wish I would have done on my 635 is watch some of Avatar. I have done that on the 900h and it is amazing. Colors pop and it has a 3D effect to it. I honestly felt like I was wearing 3D glasses which is something I have never experienced before at homethe depth on that movie in HDR is unreal. if you have Disney plus you should try it on your 635.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts

Don't do it (BB)

1521 - 1540 of 1814 Posts