AVS Forum banner

1541 - 1560 of 2218 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Both great TVs.

I think the 635 has slightly better blacks and the Mini LED which is cool tech with more zones, iPQ app for tuning, a bit brighter with maybe a little more color “pop.” Also, it is cheaper depending on the time of year/sales.

The 900h has better color accuracy with a more natural picture, better motion, upscaling is better, picture is better out of the box, better shadow detail, better screen uniformity on the specific ones I had (obviously others had better luck), 5 year warranty with Costco/Sams club.

Blooming is about a wash between the two despite the different number of dimming zones. Off axis viewing is similar as well.

A case could be made for either set. I personally prefer the 900h as it just feels “more refined” when watching and I have the peace of mind with the longer warranty, however, I would have been more than happy with my first 635 if I would not have been stupid and started looking for defects/uniformity issues. Now that I have the 900h though I’m keeping it and my wife agrees.

One thing I wish I would have done on my 635 is watch some of Avatar. I have done that on the 900h and it is amazing. Colors pop and it has a 3D effect to it. I honestly felt like I was wearing 3D glasses which is something I have never experienced before at homethe depth on that movie in HDR is unreal. if you have Disney plus you should try it on your 635.
I have Disney+ but I don't think Avatar is in 4K Dolby Vision?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone know if this television supports 1440 @ 120Hz w/HDR and VRR enabled on the XB1 and/or Series X? I believe I've seen you can force 1440 @ 120Hz via PC, but not sure how it handles it in tandem with VRR and HDR (if at all)?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh wow I guess I'll have to check again. Huh, interesting. I never got into that movie but in HDR/Dolby Vision it probably looks amazing.

It was a better movie for me the second time around. However, it didn’t hurt that I just returned then from Disney and spent a bit of time in the Pandora area. I didn’t watch the whole thing again but the scene where the main character first enters as an avatar and encounters the panther like creature that chases him was incredible. Check it out and let me know how it is on your 635.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
It was a better movie for me the second time around. However, it didn’t hurt that I just returned then from Disney and spent a bit of time in the Pandora area. I didn’t watch the whole thing again but the scene where the main character first enters as an avatar and encounters the panther like creature that chases him was incredible. Check it out and let me know how it is on your 635.
I'm gonna check it out very soon. I love Jim Cameron movies, he is just about the best director out there but I just never got into this this movie. I actually have never watched it. A few minutes here and there. In Dolby Vision I may get into it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone used the Spears and Munsil ultra hd benchmark disc with this tv, and if so do you think it was worth the $40?
I got it and it is pretty technical. Played around for about an hour and gave up and trusting my eyeballs. I am fairly technical but going between the online manual and disc was pretty frustrating.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got it and it is pretty technical. Played around for about an hour and gave up and trusting my eyeballs. I am fairly technical but going between the online manual and disc was pretty frustrating.
That’s what I was worried about. Thanks for your honest feedback. I just hope that when I get the tv the app will work for me.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Excellent info, thank you. Now I wonder how the Disney calibration Blu Ray is because that gets decent reviews.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Excellent info, thank you. Now I wonder how the Disney calibration Blu Ray is because that gets decent reviews.

While not 100% qualified for a total "deep dive", I'd want to make sure we understand the difference between "adjusting", which, by and large is what "looks good" to a user, and a calibration, which is measurements against know numerical values , with many inter-related adjustments that impact one another, and are typically not discernable "by eye", as one adjustment can impact others, that you can see in the pattern you're currently looking at. Hence general advice that going into the "expert picture settings" (on a TCL, or any other TV), isn't advised unless you have a colorimeter, software, and training. (Insert shameless plug for the TCL iPQ Mobile calibration app here 😁).

Hope that helps,

Bruce

·
Registered
553 Posts
"Only Google Pixel phones always support an accurate measurement that is needed for correct TV calibration. So you should only use Google Pixel phones with this app."

What exactly about Pixel phones makes them the only ones that "always support an accurate measurement"?

·
Registered
205 Posts
"Only Google Pixel phones always support an accurate measurement that is needed for correct TV calibration. So you should only use Google Pixel phones with this app."

What exactly about Pixel phones makes them the only ones that "always support an accurate measurement"?
Really disappointing to hear. I’ve been an iPhone user for a decade and don’t see myself switching so I can calibrate my tv. TCL should be smarter about the compatibility I would think?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Really disappointing to hear. I’ve been an iPhone user for a decade and don’t see myself switching so I can calibrate my tv. TCL should be smarter about the compatibility I would think?
That caveat is only for Androids. iPhone and iPad, etc also support the app. It's only for iOS (Apple) devices and Google Pixels. So, for Android, you have to use a Pixel phone.

I don't use either (iOS or Pixels), so I'm out of luck.

·
Registered
953 Posts

Their camera firmware, because others are too blue, etc. The requirement you are quoting is from the Google Play store for Androids. You should also mention iOS devices are also compatible with the app, because you confused the person above. :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Sorry for your confusion. Looks like the above quote was taken from the Google play store. the TCL iPQ mobile calibration app is indeed compatible with iphones. Simply search for it in the app store.
Regarding compatible phones, it was not a matter of being "smart", it was a matter of testing phones and finding those whose cameras could reliably and accurately reproduce a "true White", around which an entire calibration is based. Without that accurate white, No calibration results could be counted on. Hope that clears up your confusion.

Bruce

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anyone with a Denon AVR got eARC working? On my older 591 I'd get crazy sounds coming from the TV and my new X3700 gets no sound via eARC/ARC.

Edit: picked up another HDMI cable today and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was just checking the Roku forums, and read that the HDR issue with the Prime app has been fixed. I tried it myself and can confirm it's fixed. Incredible that it took that long.
Awesome, this is great to hear. I'll check it out at some point today. I assume I'll need to run a system update?

1541 - 1560 of 2218 Posts