AVS Forum banner

1721 - 1740 of 2125 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
On my 2nd R635 55 inch. I have a line that appears at the top of my screen when I'm playing my PC at 1440p. This is my first TCL experience so if the 2nd one isn't any better then I'll return this one too and have no idea what else to buy. The first tv also has some weird color flickering here and there only when I play PC. I've tried 2 different hdmi cords and even borrowed a friend's 2070 super to see if it was my 2080ti gpu but same issue. Picture is great otherwise and I'll be very disappointed of I gotta return the 2nd one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I have my gaming PC hooked up to my new R635. At 1440p at the VERY top there is a white/red line that intermittently comes on depending on how I tilt the in game camera. I've seen a few on this board have the same issue and on reviewer on youtube as well. It's fine at 4k, though it will sometimes flash a pinkish line through the middle so I ordered another from Amazon to see if I just got a bad unit and bought a new HDMI cord since idk if my cable is a 1.4 or a 2.1. The picture on this tv is great especially with HDR enabled when gaming but I gotta say the defects in the tv have got me scared away from trying a 3rd set if the 2nd one still has these issues.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone else having issues with black crush? Dark scenes seem a little too dark.

Also what's up with the expert picture settings crashing on my phone? I've tried two different phones and two different versions of the Roku app and they both crash on every input. Anyone figure it out?
I agree as I find the dark scenes sometimes overly dark....also had the app crash a few times but mainly works OK for me, so can't really understand what might be the cause

·
Registered
357 Posts
are new users letting the TV's warm up before complaining? Seems it takes a good week of solid use for the TV to start working (and looking) like peak performance

·
Registered
36 Posts
are new users letting the TV's warm up before complaining? Seems it takes a good week of solid use for the TV to start working (and looking) like peak performance
Could you please share the source of your information about "warm up"? None of the TV manuals have such information. All the LCD/LED TVs I bought during last 15 years either passed all the tests out of the box or went back to the store. (Quality brands like Samsung never had any issues from the moment you set TV, on the other hand I had few returns with cheap brands I bought like Acer) I might be wrong, but "warm up", "break -in" advises for TVs look similar to advises for cars, while car manufacturers clearly state that nowadays cars do not require any break-in...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I am enjoying my 75 inch 6 series in my family room setup. I added a polk audio soundbar and am quite pleased. I saw in one of the online reviews that there is a phone app to have more control of the color and white balance settings. I found one that onlu works on some i phones and the pixel phone. I have a samsumg s9 and it said phone is incompatable. I believe this app was for some sort of auto calibration. Is there another app that will allow me to manually have access to a more indepth menu for picture controls?

Reactions: Hetfieldjames

·
Registered
357 Posts
Could you please share the source of your information about "warm up"? None of the TV manuals have such information. All the LCD/LED TVs I bought during last 15 years either passed all the tests out of the box or went back to the store. (Quality brands like Samsung never had any issues from the moment you set TV, on the other hand I had few returns with cheap brands I bought like Acer) I might be wrong, but "warm up", "break -in" advises for TVs look similar to advises for cars, while car manufacturers clearly state that nowadays cars do not require any break-in...
The idea is that with usage a TV can slightly change after some usage. Warm/cold cycles for example can make some parts change ever so slightly from what they were at the factory.
Both this TV and my last one I bought a few years ago, both looked better after about a week of solid use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had my tv since last week and games heavily on it for hours a day since then. 0 change in my case. Here's a pic of the line issue at 1440p 120hz. At 60hz the line doesn't appear.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The idea is that with usage a TV can slightly change after some usage. Warm/cold cycles for example can make some parts change ever so slightly from what they were at the factory.
Both this TV and my last one I bought a few years ago, both looked better after about a week of solid use.
Thanks, this makes sense. The level of TV change is most likely have correlation with stability (quality) of TV components. I would expect slight color shift, from changes like this but unless components are very low quality, there should not be a major impact on DSE, blooming, etc. Firmware changes should have more significant impact on the PQ.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I've been in the AV hobby for quite a number of years .. any professional calibrator will tell you to run your new TV for at least 100 hours before having it calibrated .. that, in and of itself is a good indication that a break in period of some sort is a good idea .. there are a couple threads on AVS on that, but I'm not going to take the time to attempt to find them ..

·
Registered
161 Posts
He’s right. If you look at my previous posts, Both 6 series panels that I owned had these this terrible ripple effect DSE. After about two weeks it went away . Only issue was after it went away dead pixels started appearing on the tv. However, Picture quality in terms of color accuracy, viewing angles, blooming and color banding did not improve.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I'll add that it's been found in some cases that the screws holding the back to the panel frame, if too tight, can cause vignetting .. such as the effect you get when you press too hard against a spot on a monitor ..

As well, dirty screen effect is evident in every flat-screen TV on the market, to varying degrees .. it just depends on how sensitive you are to it, although the vast majority of owners never really notice it ..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been in the AV hobby for quite a number of years .. any professional calibrator will tell you to run your new TV for at least 100 hours before having it calibrated .. that, in and of itself is a good indication that a break in period of some sort is a good idea .. there are a couple threads on AVS on that, but I'm not going to take the time to attempt to find them ..
Thanks. I am not saying that there is no such thing as break in period for TV (I had dealt only with TVs I bought and do not consider it as a major experience) However I have a healthy doubt in any forum information that is not backed by manufacturers. As about color calibration, from my experience with monitors, even if you have most expensive one, there is still color shift over time (you have to recalibrate it almost every month). My understanding is that if I want to have perfect colors, I have to recalibrate it multiple times over the life span of TV. (depending on technology used) The more frequently it is done the better it is, so I am not sure from where 100 hours of use came from.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Thanks. I am not saying that there is no such thing as break in period for TV (I had dealt only with TVs I bought and do not consider it as a major experience) However I have a healthy doubt in any forum information that is not backed by manufacturers. As about color calibration, from my experience with monitors, even if you have most expensive one, there is still color shift over time (you have to recalibrate it almost every month). My understanding is that if I want to have perfect colors, I have to recalibrate it multiple times over the life span of TV. (depending on technology used) The more frequently it is done the better it is, so I am not sure from where 100 hours of use came from.
You honestly think any manufacturer is going to go on record with a suggested 100 hour minimum break in period for their new, shiny TV .. ??

Your comment on re-calibration proves the whole point here .. the panel will change

·
Registered
161 Posts
You honestly think any manufacturer is going to go on record with a suggested 100 hour minimum break in period for their new, shiny TV .. ??

Your comment on re-calibration proves the whole point here .. the panel will change
Especially since most places have 14-30 day return period. Some people don’t watch tv enough to hit 100 hours in that period

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,739
Anyone else experienced this minor issue?
When watching content in Dolby Vision HDR, it's having a issue with the lip-syncing. Changing the TV's audio settings from Auto-Detect to Auto-Passthrough partially fixes that issue. The lip-sync problem is still there, but not as borderline unwatchable bad as it was before. Luckily when watching content in regular HDR10 or no HDR at all, neither one is having lip-sync issues like the Dolby Vision HDR mode. I commence TCL to fix this bug via firmware update.

1721 - 1740 of 2125 Posts