AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would kick off a thread for the regular P-Series model (NOT the X) as I just ordered one from Costco this weekend during their sale. I ordered the P65Q9-H1 and this will be my first 4K display (long time coming). I've been holding out for HDMI 2.1, so this sale seemed like the perfect time to make a move.

Do any current owners out there want to post their impressions so far?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thought I would kick off a thread for the regular P-Series model (NOT the X) as I just ordered one from Costco this weekend during their sale. I ordered the P65Q9-H1 and this will be my first 4K display (long time coming). I've been holding out for HDMI 2.1, so this sale seemed like the perfect time to make a move.

Do any current owners out there want to post their impressions so far?
I picked up the P65Q9-H1 last weekend at Best Buy. I had purchased the M65Q7-H1, but it had a small gray spot on the screen like some dust was under the glass or something. When I went to return it they had the P series discounted, so I decided to upgrade. I'm coming from a TCL 55S425 that I had about 2 1/2 years.

The upgrade in picture quality from the TCL is insane. I never used HDR on the TCL because it looked worse than SDR, but HDR content looks GREAT on the Vizio. I have had some minor issues with the Smartcast UI like flashing and a bit of slowness, but overall it's been fine. I've noticed some motion judder on certain content, upscaled 720p content looks like garbage, and on the current firmware VRR causes major issues with my Xbox One X, but overall I'm very happy with this television.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I picked up the P65Q9-H1 last weekend at Best Buy. I had purchased the M65Q7-H1, but it had a small gray spot on the screen like some dust was under the glass or something. When I went to return it they had the P series discounted, so I decided to upgrade. I'm coming from a TCL 55S425 that I had about 2 1/2 years.

The upgrade in picture quality from the TCL is insane. I never used HDR on the TCL because it looked worse than SDR, but HDR content looks GREAT on the Vizio. I have had some minor issues with the Smartcast UI like flashing and a bit of slowness, but overall it's been fine. I've noticed some motion judder on certain content, upscaled 720p content looks like garbage, and on the current firmware VRR causes major issues with my Xbox One X, but overall I'm very happy with this television.
I think VRR is half baked right now on all TV's. On the Samsung Q90T that I got rid of it caused lots of issues as well. The audio lag made games pretty unplayable through a receiver. Turn off freesync and vrr and everything was good. I've been following all the threads for this year's sets, and seems to be major bugs with VRR on all of them

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine was delivered today and I’ve got it hooked up and running. I didn’t connect it to my network yet because the horror stories I’ve heard about the most recent firmware update.

As is, I’m very impressed. I set up HDR on my (non-pro) PS4 and honestly was blown away by how good Ghost of Tsushima looked.

I don’t currently have a 4K Apple TV (I’ve got a gen 4), and was planning on using the built in apps to stream for the time being. But with not wanting to hook the TV up to the internet for fear of the latest firmware, my full 4K/Dolby Vision experience will have to wait.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for starting this. I’m upgrading my 2010 Samsung plasma. Down between this and the Sony 900H. Was looking at both at Best Buy today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine was delivered today and I’ve got it hooked up and running. I didn’t connect it to my network yet because the horror stories I’ve heard about the most recent firmware update.

As is, I’m very impressed. I set up HDR on my (non-pro) PS4 and honestly was blown away by how good Ghost of Tsushima looked.

I don’t currently have a 4K Apple TV (I’ve got a gen 4), and was planning on using the built in apps to stream for the time being. But with not wanting to hook the TV up to the internet for fear of the latest firmware, my full 4K/Dolby Vision experience will have to wait.
My home’s only Apple TV 4K moved with the TCL into the living room. I plugged the Ethernet in before hanging the TV, not having read of the potential issues beforehand. I use the SmartCast apps but will likely purchase a new Apple TV whenever the next version is released.

Fortunately I haven’t had any major problems outside of the VRR which I don’t really care about as of right now. It will be something I want to work correctly at some point when we start to see games coming out on the new consoles that support 60-120 FPS VRR. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that these bugs will be worked out by then.

The only other noticeable problem I’ve had is the classic local dimming causing glow around white text or small bright spots on a black background. It’s not an issue 99% of the time; I usually only notice it on subtitles, movie credits, or video game loading screens. Definitely not something that meaningfully degrades my experience.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any harmony users here? I’ve got a Harmony Hub and it finds the model but the power doesn’t work. Ended up having to program the power on command from the Visio remote. The HDMI commands don’t work either :/

Another thing I’ve noticed but don’t understand: when using the Disney+ app on my Apple TV, when I go back in the app, my display goes black for a while. Sound continues, and use the remote etc. is still fine. Is anyone else having Similar issues?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Any harmony users here? I’ve got a Harmony Hub and it finds the model but the power doesn’t work. Ended up having to program the power on command from the Visio remote. The HDMI commands don’t work either :/

Another thing I’ve noticed but don’t understand: when using the Disney+ app on my Apple TV, when I go back in the app, my display goes black for a while. Sound continues, and use the remote etc. is still fine. Is anyone else having Similar issues?
I had the same issue with Harmony, the power button isn’t discrete , I ended up jus pt enabling cec, so far it’s okay but would like the power on and off to work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same issue with Harmony, the power button isn’t discrete , I ended up jus pt enabling cec, so far it’s okay but would like the power on and off to work
Yeah, I tried that, but was having inconsistent results. I've got my devices going to my Denon 4500 and then to the TV. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Review is up at rtings.
I am pretty sure my 65” has significantly better gray uniformity than the one they got at Rtings. My panel has a very slight bit of dirty screen effect, but that and the vignetting is FAR less obvious than on their unit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One "issue" I've noticed (I'm still on the out of the box firmware), is that occasionally I'll see a horizontal line about 2/3 of the way down from the top that will pop up. I haven't nailed down scenarios yet, but it seems to happen during fast moving scenes. I've noticed on games on my PS4 as well as some content from a 4th gen Apple TV.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Still trying to convince my wife to let me upgrade my 10 year old Vizio 47 inch 1080P to either the Quantum P or Sony 900H. Reading the rtings.com review I can accept that the dirty screen effect is not normally as bad as their sample model, but I do get concerned about the backlight flicker they say there if you turn the backlight down from 100%. Is this something that you can see or is it as distracting as they seem to imply?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Still trying to convince my wife to let me upgrade my 10 year old Vizio 47 inch 1080P to either the Quantum P or Sony 900H. Reading the rtings.com review I can accept that the dirty screen effect is not normally as bad as their sample model, but I do get concerned about the backlight flicker they say there if you turn the backlight down from 100%. Is this something that you can see or is it as distracting as they seem to imply?
I know some people are sensitive to it, but I don’t notice it at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Need Help. I have my Directv receiver plugged into HDMI 2 on the TV however it seems to default to 480P resolution. The TV ratio in the Directv menu is set to 16:9 but its displaying at 4:3. When I change TV Resolution from 480P to 1080P the screen goes black and I have to turn the Directv box off and back on and it defaults back to 480P. Im sure its something I'm doing wrong.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure if its my HDMI cables or just persistence but I've finally gotten the Directv video working. Still dealing with some strange connections with by Denon Receiver but I'm working through them. So far the picture on this phone TV looks great, and I haven't watched any 4K yet. Not seeing any of the Halo around subtitles, or screen issues yet. Maybe I'm lucky guess time will tell.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So her it is in all its glory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looking for connection advise. I have the following devices Directv 1080P receiver (not sure model), PS4, Xbox One S (used for gaming and as a media server), and a Denon AVR-1610 receiver (older only supports 1080P). I have ordered all new 4K HDMI cables but they won't be in until tomorrow. I have the Directv receiver connected to the AVR-1610, which then connects to HDMI port 2 on the TV. I connected the Xbox to HDMI port 3, and the PS4 to HDMI Port 4. I have also connected a fiber optic audio from the TV to the receiver as I am not sure if audio would use the HDMI cable since I'm not plugged into HDMI Port 1 (don't believe my receiver supports eARC). Currently using the defaul Calibrated Dark, but am open to trying recommended setting if anyone has any.
Does this sound alright or are there better ways to connect everything. Had some trouble yesterday getting audio to play through the TV when I wanted to and the receiver when I wanted to. Next step is to try and get everything working again with my Harmony hub.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts