AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up the P65Q9-H1 last weekend at Best Buy. I had purchased the M65Q7-H1, but it had a small gray spot on the screen like some dust was under the glass or something. When I went to return it they had the P series discounted, so I decided to upgrade. I'm coming from a TCL 55S425 that I had about 2 1/2 years.

The upgrade in picture quality from the TCL is insane. I never used HDR on the TCL because it looked worse than SDR, but HDR content looks GREAT on the Vizio. I have had some minor issues with the Smartcast UI like flashing and a bit of slowness, but overall it's been fine. I've noticed some motion judder on certain content, upscaled 720p content looks like garbage, and on the current firmware VRR causes major issues with my Xbox One X, but overall I'm very happy with this television.
Speaking of the Xbox Series X, I've had issues with HDR/4k/colors at 120hz - the game seems to turn off HDR at 120hz. Is that a limitation of the tv or the firmware again?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Speaking of the Xbox Series X, I've had issues with HDR/4k/colors at 120hz - the game seems to turn off HDR at 120hz. Is that a limitation of the tv or the firmware again?
The consensus is currently you need to turn off VRR for 4K 120hz to work. It works for me like this on input 4 on COD.

·
Registered
794 Posts
FYI a factory reset with all hdmi cables usually fixes everything. Also imo picture quality looks better with enhanced viewing angle off as it comes on from the factory. Also for SDR back light at 50 and local dimming set to low is good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FYI a factory reset with all hdmi cables usually fixes everything. Also imo picture quality looks better with enhanced viewing angle off as it comes on from the factory. Also for SDR back light at 50 and local dimming set to low is good.
What do you mean by "factory reset with all hdmi cables," sir? Is a factory reset needed for each individual input?

For me personally, I'm thinking of returning this TV for one that has fewer annoying issues that I have to wait around to maybe be patched out. Here's a weird issue for me - I have my XSX hooked up to port 3 and my PS5 to port 1. With the exact same settings/resolution/etc, the XSX looks reasonably good. The PS5 looks incredibly washed out and like I have the contrast turned all the way down. Is this an issue unique to me? Did I get a lemon or something?

Also when I go to the test pattern in port 3, the screen scrambles and wigs out like an old fashioned TV snow channel, but with seizure inducing colors. That can't possibly be normal.

·
Registered
794 Posts
What do you mean by "factory reset with all hdmi cables," sir?

For me personally, I'm thinking of returning this TV for one that has fewer annoying issues that I have to wait around to maybe be patched out. Here's a weird issue for me - I have my XSX hooked up to port 3 and my PS5 to port 1. With the exact same settings/resolution/etc, the XSX looks reasonably good. The PS5 looks incredibly washed out and like I have the contrast turned all the way down. Is this an issue unique to me? Did I get a lemon or something?

Also when I go to the test pattern in port 3, the screen scrambles and wigs out like an old fashioned TV snow channel, but with seizure inducing colors. That can't possibly be normal.
I ment to say with the hdmi cables unplugged. Again factory reset usually fixes a lot of little bugs and it has always recommended to be done after a firmware upgrade as well. For your PS5 check its own settings as that does not sound normal

Reactions: Ck02623

·
Registered
16 Posts
Disclaimer - hard reboots, soft reboots, firmware updates, removing cables, etc already done.

New issue on Xbox Series X. When a game launches into HDR10, the screen becomes almost unplayably dark and dull - you know, the opposite of HDR. Also Contrast, Color, Tint, and Sharpness become greyed out (after changing values on their own) and I'm unable to access almost anything in "Advanced Picture" because most things are greyed out. I have never been this frustrated with a piece of tech before. I'm guessing I have a lemon and need to return it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Disclaimer - hard reboots, soft reboots, firmware updates, removing cables, etc already done.

New issue on Xbox Series X. When a game launches into HDR10, the screen becomes almost unplayably dark and dull - you know, the opposite of HDR. Also Contrast, Color, Tint, and Sharpness become greyed out (after changing values on their own) and I'm unable to access almost anything in "Advanced Picture" because most things are greyed out. I have never been this frustrated with a piece of tech before. I'm guessing I have a lemon and need to return it.
Yeah that does not sound normal. Have you tried a premium certified hdmi cable and making sure full udh color is enable on the input you are using? I have had issues with cables before that I thought were good until I replaced them and fixed unstable connections I had on my 17 P series

Reactions: dj_elite

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah that does not sound normal. Have you tried a premium certified hdmi cable and making sure full udh color is enable on the input you are using? I have had issues with cables before that I thought were good until I replaced them and fixed unstable connections I had on my 17 P series
I'm using the cable that came with the Xbox Series X. It worked fine before I got this TV.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm using the cable that came with the Xbox Series X. It worked fine before I got this TV.
Still could be that I have had ****ty cables with my PS4 PRO before or cables that come with tvs and still be defective. I would reach out to Vizio either way and push for a replacement or a return.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Still could be that I have had ****ty cables with my PS4 PRO before or cables that come with tvs and still be defective. I would reach out to Vizio either way and push for a replacement or a return.
Thanks for your recommendations. I tried different cables and they all had the same results. The support person told me to wait for a firmware update, but two things about that:

1. This TV has been out long enough that it should function in some way
2. Nobody else seems to be having these issues as badly as me

So I'm going to return it. I was pretty excited about this TV. Now I have to decide if I want to exchange it for another unit of the same model or go with something else.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanks for your recommendations. I tried different cables and they all had the same results. The support person told me to wait for a firmware update, but two things about that:

1. This TV has been out long enough that it should function in some way
2. Nobody else seems to be having these issues as badly as me

So I'm going to return it. I was pretty excited about this TV. Now I have to decide if I want to exchange it for another unit of the same model or go with something else.
Yeah might as well return it. Good luck on your next tv

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just wanted to chime in with my experiences with this TV. Picture quality seems great but as others have said, firmware is a complete mess. I have a Denon S750H receiver with a 5.1.2 setup. Xbox Series X and a Chromecast with Google TV. I have the Xbox ran directly to the TV because of HDMI 2.1 reasons. I initially tried plugging the CC into the receiver and then running HDMI to the TV (like one would normally do with an AVR receiver). Huge headaches. It doesn't like switching audio types, any time the CC tried playing Dolby Vision content, the screen would turn black for a few seconds during the handshake. So flipping through Netflix was a nightmare since every DV preview would cause the screen to turn completely black. Plugging the CC directly into the TV seems to fix that issue but then it brings a host of other problems due to ARC/eARC (I'm assuming). Audio sounds TERRIBLE from Youtube/ Youtube TV. Really anything below DD sounds bad and out of phase/ echoing. This audio issue is persistent whether I'm using the CC, Xbox, or Smartcast (which is why I'm thinking ARC/eARC issue). Yes, I've made sure the TV speakers are off. I've also noticed issues with the TV remembering CEC devices. I have to search for them every time. Also, yes I'm using high speed HDMI cables rated for HDMI 2.1.

I returned a TCL 65R635 for this TV and I plan to keep it but I really hope they can push some firmware to fix these issues. I've had similar issues as above when trying to play games on XBX, the games/ console don't always recognize the TV as being a 120hz screen but I'm not confident thats a TV issue, could very well be XBX/ game issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have issues with the built in Netflix app. Sound is real quiet and like you said sometimes it goes out of sync. Just an FYI the TV has Chromecast built in. Not sure why you would connect another?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have issues with the built in Netflix app. Sound is real quiet and like you said sometimes it goes out of sync. Just an FYI the TV has Chromecast built in. Not sure why you would connect another?
I prefer the CC with Google TV interface and remote over Smartcast and I already had one.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've seen many people state casting to the TV resulted in 720p-like quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really want to like the p65q9-h1, but man the firmware is a joke, video settings that go wonky, audio that drops, broken vrr and the list goes on. If only Vizio could be a bit more transparent about known bugs and when they will be addressed then I might hold out. But it looks like this thing is going back to Costco with the 2021 models coming shortly.
here's a list of things I've found problematic in 2 days and sever factory resets:
(HDMI 4=Series X with port set to 2.1 and xbox set to 60fps with vrr enabled, HDMI 3=Firestick 4K with port set to 2.1, Internal speakers off, optical out to Vizio 2.1 soundbar, CEC enabled, eARC off)
1. loss of sound when switching inputs
2. loss of sound when playing gears 5 on series x
3. loss of video switching between ports 3 and 4
4. tv stating it has no signal so will shut off, while watching Amazon Prime
5. HDR issues on Series X where the revers happens and it gets dull, looses punch
6. menu overlay not going away/closing
7. SmartCast apps that don't stream in 4k when they should.

Sad part is I can forgive the crappy SmartCast software for the good picture, if only the firmware was stable and things worked as advertised.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have an audio question / problem, am I doing something wrong. I have an older Denon AVR-1610 receiver which doesn't support ARC or eARC so I have the TV connected via an Optical cable. Audio settings in the TV are configured as follows:
TV Speaker - Auto
Surround Sound - On
Volume Level - Off
Balance - 0
Lip Sync - 0
Digital Audio Out - PCM
Analog Audio - Fixed
Dialogue Enhancer - Low
eARC - Off

What I'm seeing / hearing is this. If I set Digital Audio to Digital I appear to get 5.1 surround, but I get crackling from my center channel speaker mainly but from my surround speakers as well almost as if they were blown. If I set it to PCM I don't but it appears I only get Stereo sound and it only come out my Center and front speakers. I have only tested this using the built in apps. Is this normal or a result of using the optical cable. I know previously audio coming from my Xbox set to PCM would still be 5.1

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone have first hand experience with the Sony X900H 65"? I think I'm going to return this Vizio and get the Sony. My last TV was a Sony and I shouldn't have jumped ship, I loved it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, just got this set as a warranty replacement for a 2018 P series.

So far it hasn't had any of the issues my previous set had and was about to celebrate having a practically flawless set.

However, when pulling up the flat test pattern with local dimming on medium, I noticed a weird issue with one of the LEDs. It appears one of the LEDs thinks it is located lower on the panel than it actually is? Whenever there is a bright object on the bottom-left side of the TV where there is hardcore dimming activated around the bright object to counteract blooming, this one LED also dims when it shouldn't:

It isn't a dead LED as the artifact disappears in all other scenarios (no bright objects or bright objects at the top). It only dims like this when there is dimming around bright objects on the lower-left half. Is it possible the one LED was wired incorrectly spatially? Or is it more of a softwate issue associated with firmware 5.10.15.5-4? Can someone else try this flat test with local dimming on medium? If other people get it I would chalk it up to software.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hello, just got this set as a warranty replacement for a 2018 P series.

So far it hasn't had any of the issues my previous set had and was about to celebrate having a practically flawless set.

However, when pulling up the flat test pattern with local dimming on medium, I noticed a weird issue with one of the LEDs. It appears one of the LEDs thinks it is located lower on the panel than it actually is? Whenever there is a bright object on the bottom-left side of the TV where there is hardcore dimming activated around the bright object to counteract blooming, this one LED also dims when it shouldn't: View attachment 3069011

It isn't a dead LED as the artifact disappears in all other scenarios (no bright objects or bright objects at the top). It only dims like this when there is dimming around bright objects on the lower-left half. Is it possible the one LED was wired incorrectly spatially? Or is it more of a softwate issue associated with firmware 5.10.15.5-4? Can someone else try this flat test with local dimming on medium? If other people get it I would chalk it up to software.
This is what I got as a replacement as well but for my 17 p series which was great. I have not used it so I can’t speak on that matter but what could fix any bug issues is usually a factory reset. I would try that and see if it refresh that bug you are experiencing. I do currently use a 19 PQX and do not have that issue.

101 - 120 of 169 Posts