AVS Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 2213 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do not how good YPAO is in newer models, or higher end ones, but it sucks in my RX-V361, at least in my case. It completely destroys the bass, in a very weird way. The mid sounds weird too.

I use a manual equalizer. And basically all I do is lower the mid (-2 on 400 Hz, -4 on 1 kHz, -2 on 2.5 kHz). Then I use tone control to boost the bass and treble (+3/+6 in my case).

I always like to lower the mid, basically on all hardware I have had (but especially on Yamaha with Monitor Audio speakers). It deepens the bass and clears up the treble. I always feel the mid is too strong in all audio equipement (even in theaters). It makes the sound flat even if you boost the bass and treble.

As for these new models, there are problems with new features like always. Early adopters have to pay the price. As much as I want VRR for games, I will wait a year or two before upgrading my receiver and TV. Hopefully everything will work fine by the end of 2022.
hmm, good idea. I will try to run YAPO whit out subs.

·
Registered
Sony 65x900h, Yam RXV6A, Klipsch RP8000F, RP504C, RP500SA, RP600M, SMSL SU8, MD THXAAA789, SennHD6XX
226 Posts
I do not think it will make any difference but I will leave it on because YAPO might divert bass to other speakers it think can handle but you might want bass from all speakers
My question to a prior poster, is about that they had said that for the Yamaha avr, the "extra-bass" setting is subwoofer+main. My question was asking why my avr, which does not have a subwoofer connected to it (and the subwoofer setting reflects this) have significantly more bass when I play music with the setting on, than when it is off.

Again...I don't see that YPAO does anything other than an attempt to level match, and determine if a speaker should have crossover settings applied. YPAO should have no relevance to, or correlation with any GEQ, Tone Control setting, or Extra Bass settings in the AVR. The fact that YPAO produces inconsistent results is because level matching is a tricky thing to do, especially in a room that is not sound-treated, and it doesn't help that YPAO is not as good at is as other systems are.

I regret posting the question, because it looks like that topic has gone off the rails now with other forum members making assumptions, based off assumptions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For content in 7.1 or content containing atmos, is there any settings i need to change on my AVR to get it to play all those channels in my 5.1 setup or does it down mix automatically?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does YPAO set the speakers as small/medium/large, or does the end user do that manually?

What is small/medium/large? What are the definitions of those sizes?

Is room size considered anywhere?
Does not make any difference what is the real size. If you have a subwoofer you must set the fronts to small. Room size and other stuff has nothing to do with this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So is this the correct understanding?

If I don't have a sub, I should select Large.

If I have a sub, I should select Small.

Or can I do Large, and still use a sub?

I only have front L/R right now. But will get a sub, once I've decided to keep my front L/R.
That is correct until you connect a sub.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I run YPAO it only sets speaker distance, size, and crossover. In my experience it does not touch EQ at all. Is it supposed to adjust EQ as well?

·
Registered
358 Posts
No idea why you'd have this, but I've read every post in this thread and don't recall anyone else talking about pink video, whenever people have unique issues it seems that the first thing to check is your HDMI cables, for whatever reason this receiver is super sensitive...
Tried swapping cables already. Even took cables from my main 4K AVR (Yamaha RX-V685 paired to a LG B9 OLED); same result.

It's not the interconnect and it's not the TV.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've had pink screens (not with this receiver) and it was a handshake issue. Have you tried changing the order of turning devices on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings and salutations,

I have an issue with my receiver that I hope someone here would have some knowledge on.

I recently purchased the RX-6A and I’m using Jamo S803 home theatre kit ( two fronts, a s81 center, and two rears).

When I try to calibrate with YPAO, all the speakers pass the pre check but fail on the main center check and the unit shuts off. On power up, it says to check SP wires, which I did and switch from a 14 ga to 12 ga speaker wire with banana plugs .

Is the center speaker faulty or is there some setting I need to use for it to function correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,007 Posts
Greetings and salutations,

I have an issue with my receiver that I hope someone here would have some knowledge on.

I recently purchased the RX-6A and I’m using Jamo S803 home theatre kit ( two fronts, a s81 center, and two rears).

When I try to calibrate with YPAO, all the speakers pass the pre check but fail on the main center check and the unit shuts off. On power up, it says to check SP wires, which I did and switch from a 14 ga to 12 ga speaker wire with banana plugs .

Is the center speaker faulty or is there some setting I need to use for it to function correctly?

Try exchanging your center speaker with one of the others: Swap connections at the receiver. If the problem stays with the physical speaker, then it might be either the speaker or the cable running to it. Then swap cables at the speaker end. If it still stays with the physical speaker, the problem is in the speaker, if it moves to the other speaker, then it’s in the cable. If in the very first swap, the problem moves to whichever speaker is now plugged into the receiver’s center channel output, then the problem is in the receiver.

Reactions: Fuzzytopclark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tried swapping cables already. Even took cables from my main 4K AVR (Yamaha RX-V685 paired to a LG B9 OLED); same result.

It's not the interconnect and it's not the TV.
I get the black screen with sound DV most of the time, but I've gotten the pink video issue that you're getting a couple times too, so it's most likely not anything wrong with your setup, it's just the same DV issue.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I have Bluetooth headphones set up on my receiver and MusicCast, but when I try to use them it garbles the sound over BOTH wired speakers and headphones. I searched this thread but could not find headphone issues. I have the TSR 700 set up and am controlling all my music sources with MusicCast - everything works fine. I just added a pair of Sony WH-1000ZM4 of headphones and paired them to the receiver after updating them to latest software. When I connect to them through MusicCast it garbles all sound everywhere. Anyone have any suggestions on what may cause problems with MusicCast using wired speakers and Bluetooth headphones?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is anyone on here actually using this receiver for the MusicCast wireless surround?
unfortunately yes... something about wires draped across living room walls etc.
headaches galore, seems like i have to reset rt side to link every day and then the echo unless i reset with phone on musicast....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got mine yesterday and I’m having issues. EArc is plugged into my x900h. All other inputs are in the receiver. The sounds outputs when I’m using the cable box or PS4, but I can’t get sound when using streaming apps on my TV.

The receiver remote also works for everything except “options”, “setup”, and other menu items. It was all working fine last night. Now this morning it’s all acting up.

I don’t know how to do a factory reset and can’t find anything online.

Could it be a setting on my TV is messed up for the eArc? I have the HDMI set to eArc on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good morning everyone. Just added a couple new speakers to my setup and ran YPAO and then set all speakers back to small but wondering what settings I should user under crossover?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a Klipsch sub
Klipsch RF-15 towers
Klipsch RP-250C Center
Klipsch RP-140SA Front Presence
Polk OWM3 rears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the Yamaha RX-V6A, and I must be stupid or something but I have two questions.

I have 7 normal speakers, 1 subwoofer and 2 speakers in the ceiling for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X. Seriously what is the correct "Power Amp Assign" to use? Those different modes all have really confusing names and abbreviations. I don't get my speakers in the back and in the ceiling play at the same time using "Basic". I mean Yamaha recommend this exact setup them self in the manual.

Also I don't get the display to show DTS:X, only DTS-HD MA. Atmos/DTHD shows just fine though. I use my PC and send the signal though my nVidia RTX 2070 Super using a Ultra High Speed HDMI-cable (48 Gbps).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good morning everyone. Just added a couple new speakers to my setup and ran YPAO and then set all speakers back to small but wondering what settings I should user under crossover?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a Klipsch sub
Klipsch RF-15 towers
Klipsch RP-250C Center
Klipsch RP-140SA Front Presence
Polk OWM3 rears.
80hz (or 10hz over the lowest frequency response) is the standard advice for cross over across the board; 80hz will cover all the Klispch speakers. I've been told by others that setting the front presence for "dolby enabled" will take care of the cross over for you (regardless that its still an option), which is usually like 150hz-180hz, which is what upfiring atmos is designed for; in my personal testing i cannot tell the difference between any crossover setting for the upfiring, so i think that might be true. The Polk have a frequency response of 100-22,000hz, so you'll need to bump that one up to probably 120hz (generally you go 10hz higher than the lowest frequency..but i dont think theres a 110hz option).

2141 - 2160 of 2213 Posts